Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
That is a very ugly boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Musket posted:

look guys, its really thta easy to make a lovely game.

]

Dont even need twine.

lol so whacky! so quirky!!!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure SA made that list because the people making boycott lists are stupid idiots with a tenuous grasp on reality and not because of a thread about giantbomb

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Clitch posted:

This woman just cannot stop shoving stuff in her holes for publicity.

Thread title update ASAP

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm pretty sure SA made that list because the people making boycott lists are stupid idiots with a tenuous grasp on reality and not because of a thread about giantbomb

Some people from Reddit have legitimate complaints about the industry (corruption within journalism, demonizing gamers, catering and pandering to the SJW crowd) but there are a few tin foil hat people.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Zombies' Downfall posted:

No. It was probably the gamers.txt thread.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Erata posted:

Is the next step to keep fanning the flames to tell video games journalism to fight against their advertisers because renegging on their Gamer+Gate campaign is another form of corruption?

I don't think these people even need opponents at all to crash and burn. Look how they've acted.

Honestly, (and it's impossible at this point), but I'd say just never talk about them or visit their sites and watch them sink their own ships.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Musket posted:

but do you identify as a gaymer or just a human being?

digital diogenes syndrome

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
SA is on that list cuz her cucked man told her he was gonna post his manifesto here. If she would just log into her account she would see that we are making fun of everyone involved in this shitshow. And how dumb she and everyone else is.

If she would just shut the gently caress up for 2 days, it would blow over.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Musket posted:

Whatever happened to treating people nice and having manners. Why did life get so complicated for these folks? Is it honestly extreme political correctness paired with mental illness? Or did they just not learn manners and thus have to invent all this special snowflaky poo poo up?

This is exactly why attachment/helicopter parenting doesnt work. These people have never had to cope with things being different.

theyre addicted to being Better People Than You

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Clitch posted:

Somebody please repost that sick burn from the captain of the video game industry that came out of that thread. The one that talked about how cool words like ludonarrative was...

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
red vs blue dot gif

Musket posted:

]

Dont even need twine.

how to make a game - stuff a usb cable in to your nostril

how to make a game popular - stuff dicks in to your vagina

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

XMNN posted:

i genuinely dont really care one way or the other about anita sarkeesian but i picked up p much all the information in this video in the thirty second skim of the wikipedia article i did just before watching it
Yup, that pretty much sums up all her videos. People accuse her of just regurgitating tvtrops and adding nothing to the dialogue because that's exactly what she does. Everyone knows these tropes exist, that's why there's literally a website that compiles them. Webcomics and humor targeted towards "gamers" has made fun of all these tropes on a regular basis since bikini chainmail became a thing in the first place.

Making videos about stuff that everyone already knows is a great strategy though because it preaches to the choir (don't really have to provide much substance when you're pandering) and because later when people criticize you for legitimate or unrelated reasons you can just claim that the only reason no one likes you is because "even feminism 101 is too much for those people".

One hundred and sixty thousand dollars from a bunch of rubes.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Yup, that pretty much sums up all her videos. People accuse her of just regurgitating tvtrops and adding nothing to the dialogue because that's exactly what she does. Everyone knows these tropes exist, that's why there's literally a website that compiles them. Webcomics and humor targeted towards "gamers" has made fun of all these tropes on a regular basis since bikini chainmail became a thing in the first place.

Making videos about stuff that everyone already knows is a great strategy though because it preaches to the choir (don't really have to provide much substance when you're pandering) and because later when people criticize you for legitimate or unrelated reasons you can just claim that the only reason no one likes you is because "even feminism 101 is too much for those people".

yes of course. gamers are mad because she is stating the obvious, not because she is trying to "destroy their games" by stating the obvious

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Musket posted:

]

Dont even need twine.

This could be technically true you know.
The other end of the cable could be inserted into the urethra of a proper programmer for all we know.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
As he aptly notes, gamers are also quite irate at her for bilking people who aren't them out of money they donated, money which could've gone toward cool things of value like the $100 collector's edition of Wolfenstein that didn't include the actual game or the $170 collector's edition of Dragon Age 3 which includes such interesting things as a quill pen, a pot of ink, and some fake lockpicks

I'm glad someone is protecting that industry from the trolls and corruption trying to tear it down

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

didnt she need 2 people to help her make her computer CYOA? whos actually asking her how to make a vgame lol

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Radical posted:

didnt she need 2 people to help her make her computer CYOA? whos actually asking her how to make a vgame lol

Retards.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
well its only fitting that this highschool grade drama involves highschool grade developers and journalists

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Radical posted:

The point of making games is releasing them, not how you manage. If you could make a game by using macros in excel, thats fine. Programming is usually required to make games, but with interactive fiction is possible that some people will be able to make games just using the tools at they disposal, maybe getting help in packaging by having somebody make the installer.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

The Brown Menace posted:

like lol. friendly reminder that currently, the evil sexist racist 4chan crew includes a shitload of women and other minorities who have raised 40 thousand US dollars for a feminist charity, while the socially just games journalism crew consist mostly of white guys and a few white women who did this to that feminist charity:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

XMNN posted:

i genuinely dont really care one way or the other about anita sarkeesian but i picked up p much all the information in this video in the thirty second skim of the wikipedia article i did just before watching it

But will the article make you sick every time someone mentions they were inspired by someone else? I bet wiki doesn't teach that.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Tei posted:

The point of making games is releasing them, not how you manage. If you could make a game by using macros in excel, thats fine. Programming is usually required to make games, but with interactive fiction is possible that some people will be able to make games just using the tools at they disposal, maybe getting help in packaging by having somebody make the installer.
regardless you would never ask her for help on how to make a game because the tools she uses are not complicated.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

TheKingofSprings posted:

The gently caress are these

The type of girl crazy people like.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

e: but for real is there a place I can donate so that attractive women get involved in GAMING instead of these loving uggos

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Prawned posted:

e: but for real is there a place I can donate so that attractive women get involved in GAMING instead of these loving uggos

you could tell all those celebs that got their nudes leaks that gamers are responsible for it

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
The #GamerGate tweet flood is really funny 90% of the time.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope this was one big elaborate ruse to make SA relavant again. Explain yourself, Richard!!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

Also, because of all the extra money she was going to play all the games, then just decided to take clips from youtube of other people playing said games without crediting them.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

big duck equals goose posted:

Pfft! If you think Pokemon fans are casuals, then you've never met a Pokemon fan.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Zoe is... Shmorky.

You've heard it here first.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Clitch posted:

eh there were a couple other threads about it that got gassed or moved to the mod forum.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

big duck equals goose posted:

First they came for the women.
Then they came for the transsexuals.
Then they came for the pokemon players.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Alright, it is time for an expose on the different connections between various groups in this GamerGate scandal.

The majority of this SJW stuff, at its core, is coming from what is known as "Weird Twitter." (inb4 >KYM http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/weird-twitter) Weird Twitter was initially formed when users of the FYAD subforum on the Something Awful forums decided that the forums were slowly dying (which is true) and took to Twitter to increase their internet presence and be able to interact with more people (largely to harass them). They had created such a hostile environment to newcomers in FYAD that essentially no new blood trickled in, and they literally had to force new people to post there through moderator bullshit, and even then the sole purpose of that was not to get new blood, but for the insular clique who have known each other for more than a decade now, to torment that person. So they needed greener pastures, which they found on Twitter, where they were joined by refugees from Laissez Faire, a FYAD-style subforum which at the end of its lifespan was filled with anime avatar hardline Marxists (think /pol/ but even more extreme, but on the left, and extremely ban-happy. It ultimately fell apart and was resurrected as various offsite forums time and again because they kept falling apart due to drama and users harassing each other).

Anyway this insular group of a few dozen or so people quickly attracted a large following on Twitter by making genuinely amusing Tweets (which had mostly nothing to do with SJW poo poo), and among that following were many indie creators and related SJW types, mostly because those Tweets had SJW-friendly language (the most glaring examples of this language are infantile-sounding insults like "garbagemen" or "piss baby").

However, besides making amusing Tweets, they had another purpose: Harassing people for their own amusement. The former LF parts of Weird Twitter and their largely SJW indie dev follower (and similar people, you get the picture) crowd merely provided SJW issues as a heuristic to find targets to single out and harass. If this in-group had accumulated a following among a different demographic (which is however a rather unlikely scenario, given the initial LF element among them) they would have looked for people to harass based on whatever that demographic valued, rather than SJW issues. It's important to understand that the SJW issues they supposedly care about are merely meant to raise a Twitter mob outside of their small circle. On FYAD itself, they have no issues with throwing around racist and sexist slurs like they're going out of style. They just know how to keep that poo poo off Twitter, since the average FYAD post would give a true SJW a heart attack.

And make no mistake, these people have absolutely no issues with harassment up to and including death threats either. FYAD even managed to make a depressed, possibly autistic man kill himself due to their harassment, a fact that if brought up rather than denying, they will gloat and laugh about. Many of these people were active in Helldump, another Something Awful subforum which existed for the sole purpose of doxxing SA users and digging up as much embarrassing information on them as possible, which went as far as users posting nude pictures of an underaged girl, as well as making fun of users with physical disabilities.

One of the superstars of that subforum was also involved with the attempt at bullying a 10 year-old (who they also doxxed and threatened with death). I say attempt because the 10 year-old shrugged it off like a champ. The guy, btw, should be somewhere in his mid-to-late 30s. This whole episode is well-known, and 4chan has torn the parties involved a new one over it.

Zoe Quinn, by her own admission in mid-August (I believe she tweeted it on August 12th or 15th, it should still be there if she hasn't deleted it), is still an active SA forums user and has been since 2002. It is safe to assume that she is part of this in-group which is at the center of this Twitter shitstorm.

How do I know all this? Simple, I used to be part of it. I wasn't part of the FYAD in-group but one of the people who joined later on Twitter (although I had been posting and lurking on the SA forums for years beforehand, I simply didn't interact with FYAD). The 10 year-old harassment episode opened my eyes, and I used what I know to put 2 and 2 together, and here you are reading the results.

So what does this have to do with the larger SJW community?

Simple: This isn't about gamers, gaming or feminism. The SJW poo poo is simply a smoke-screen which an insular group of people who have known each other for over a decade use to get their truly massive amount of SJW Twitter followers who are not part of that in-group, to join in on harassment, which they get off on. I almost feel bad for legit SJWs who participate in this, they are merely useful idiots. If you are an SJW reading this: You have been tricked, rused, bamboozled. The same people who point you to targets which to attack are the very bullies you proclaim to loathe.

Anyway, how does this tie into games journalism?

When this whole thing broke loose, it got huge overnight, despite constant censorship attempts and fraudulent DMCA takedowns across the internet. Gaming journalists, both directly involved with Zoe and indirectly involved by participating in similarly seedy actions which clearly breach the ethics of journalism needed a way to make this go away or bury the larger issue, and fast. All most of them could do on their end was write articles, but that wouldn't have gotten the needed reaction fast enough.

Luckily, they had connections among this in-group (such as Zoe Quinn possibly being a part of it, as well as other indie devs and related people who follow people from the in-group and are followed back by them) which had, by now, years of experience in raising Twitter lynch mobs and who had the required number of followers among the SJW crowd. Thus, they mobilized them to turn what is a journalistic issue at heart into an SJW issue. And this they gladly did, because it meant getting to harass people.

so what youre saying is FYAD should take its name literally and just shut up and die

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian
did we win yet

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

cis white male posted:

did we win yet

We won a battle, but not the war. It's not the end, however it is the end of the beginning.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

i remember when people talking in jest about the slashdot effect and reddit hugs weren't screenshotted and underlined and thought of as literally conducting a ddos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

ArbitraryC posted:

Everyone knows these tropes exist, that's why there's literally a website that compiles them.

Mandatory This Troper link

CrazyLittle posted:

Try to keep up:

lol there's no way you're that retarded

• Locked thread