Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

kidRiot posted:

Yo!

I rolled a TR on Emerald awhile ago to join NUC. NUC has since died so I was shopping around for a new outfit. Joined AoD out of curiosity. Hit me up.

Hey dude, like O Muerte said, hit either of us up for invites to Co0p squads. I'll give you the TS info sometime, its SV0 from Mattherson + DD12 from Waterson. TR's last bastion of autism.
(I'm CRIPPLINGAUTISM, I was playing with NUC towards to end-times)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

A Tartan Tory posted:

I'm pretty sure these are quotes from idiot TR on the official forums.

At least I hope they are. :stare:

Davethulhu posted:

That's no fun. You guys know it all comes from the official forums.

Well I feel like an idiot now :sweatdrop:

Are Heavy shields actually worth certing into properly now? The last time I played, the general consensus was "Get Level 1 and don't bother with the rest, the upgrades aren't worth getting or are flat out broken"

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Don't know why you wouldn't cert into the shield. The recharge is nice on the NMG and Adrenaline Requires max rank to be good.

Resist Shield doesn't really need to be fully certed, but there's no downside to doing it.

Gregen
Jun 12, 2010

Icedude posted:

Are Heavy shields actually worth certing into properly now? The last time I played, the general consensus was "Get Level 1 and don't bother with the rest, the upgrades aren't worth getting or are flat out broken"

Yes. All of them are decent. In fact adrenaline stinks unless you cert it out fully, then as long as you can kill people it's a straight upgrade to nano mesh. Keep in mind while adrenaline and nano mesh will stack with whatever armor resist you're sporting (flak/nanoweave), resist shield will not, so equip accordingly.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The one thing that is really baffling to me about the 'air game': Nobody spots, at all. You'd think people would have realized by now that if someone is spotted, they are on everyone's minimap and every other ESF nearby knows where they are and sees which way they're facing. The amount of times I see one fighter up against 3 or 4 and everyone is flying in circles trying to find the one mosquito who is just spinning wildly, because nobody bothered to spot him, is hilarious.

It is pretty funny seeing that situation, spotting the guy from a distance, and then just watching the entire herd spin right at him and vaporize him, though.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
But pressing Q is hard!

Then again you can have equal pop 96+ fights and neither side will have a motion beacon down so I guess people hate success.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It always astounds me that the TR have really good guns but they complain about them.

You could give them a gun where it can one-clip a Vanguard (even with the shield up), each bullet gets an explosive blast radius, the bullets are hitscan, and you get a handy from Kat Dennings every time you pull the trigger.

And they'd still find something to complain about. :ughh:

In other news, I might pick up the advanced Steam bundle with the NS-15m and the Underboss, how are those guns?

This gun may be hitscan, but are those hit scan bullets subjected to bullet drop?

Therefore its a lovely VS gun that doesn't even get no bullet drop, like all TR guns

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
So a turbosperg from the LA forums on the official site has been in contact with me regarding recoil stats and everything and has come back with what he says is the official breakdown of what Horizontal Tolerance actually is. His explanation follows (he's Russian, so bear that in mind):

Iridar51, Forumside posted:

I've got it. I now know exactly what Horizontal tolerance is. Feel free to use one of the three explanations to understand it best :)

1) Description in words:

It works just as we thought - it limits the number of consecutive recoil kicks in one direction, what we didn't realize is that it works in relation to the original aiming position, and not based on the direction of the previous kick.

Horizontal recoil tolerance is basically the width of the recoil pattern. You can with 100% certainty predict that horizontal recoil, with all it's randomness, will stay within that width.

2) Programmin algorithm
X - current accumulated horizontal recoil
Tol - tolerance
Rec - horizontal recoil

10 User starts shooting
20 X = 0
21 Fire a bullet
22 Start calculating recoil
30 X = X + Rec * Random(-1, 1) //calculate recoil
40 If X >= Tol Then X = X - Rec*2 //check if it's within tolerance. If not, double back in the opposite direction.
41 Recoil calculated
42 If [Fire] still pressed Then GoTo 21

3) Picture - Diagram

So now we know that horizontal tolerance is much more important than we thought - it's not a largely unimportant piece of order in a sea of chaos. It basically defines how wide your shots will be spread. It's a rock-solid box, which contains the chaos. Chaos is chaotic, but you can count on the box.

I'd argue that tolerance is even more important than horizontal recoil itself.

So now we can officially define weapon's effective range as a range at which a full body sized target is completely covered by horizontal recoil tolerance, because apart from CoF mechanics that basically guarantees 100% accuracy.

We can even factor in CoF mechanics themselves! Though that's going to be a bit more complicated than I'd care to explain right now. Let me know what you think.
The tl;dr here is basically that tolerance is the boundary of maximum drift from the original point of aim, and a gun will not recoil outside that boundary (although with COF it may still shoot outside of it). If he's correct and it only applies during bursts then burst-firing higher-tolerance weapons can mitigate their drift and semi-automatic weapons like Battle Rifles (and possibly burst variants?) essentially don't care about tolerance at all.

There's still enough randomness to recoil that actually trying to make sense of a gun's recoil pattern is silly and you should go with how well it feels like it's working for you, but it's at least possible now to effectively simulate how recoil on a weapon can work, and why some weapons seem to hit frequently even if they rattle quite a bit; the extra recoil of the T1 Cycler vs. the Pulsar is effectively not as important as its superior tolerance, because the better tolerance means a TR player can at a certain distance just lay down the trigger and not give a poo poo which way the gun jitters because it will never jerk far enough left or right to move off the target.

Granted that assumes the target and the person firing aren't moving, and isn't taking into account vertical recoil and COF, so it's not a perfect concept. But it may explain some things about weapons that "feel" off despite seeming to have identical or better recoil patterns to other guns (i.e. why can the Anchor hit more reliably than the LSW at similar distances, because the Anchor has half the tolerance value and is thus bound to a shooting area half the size of the LSW at all ranges).

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Fans posted:

But pressing Q is hard!

Then again you can have equal pop 96+ fights and neither side will have a motion beacon down so I guess people hate success.

I have spot bound to V, which the tip of my thumb tends to rest on. Can spam it all day and doesn't interfere with movement controls!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

All you TR weirdos, I'm running K0TH alt night ops tonight at 7pm if you want to roll with some goons

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Fans posted:

Has anyone tried the T1A Unity yet? Someone in my TR outfit dismissively said yesterday "It's not that great, it's just the T1 Cycler with SPA"

Which sounds like it could beat the TORQ for "Most bullshit amazing Assault Rifle" and the TORQ is already setting a high bar.

"Unity is now a better weapon, thanks to customisable scopes and the SPA. Sadly it cannot be my go-to gun because of that damned horizontal recoil pattern that plagues the Cycler and its variants. I feel more confident hitting and killing medium range enemies with the TAR or TRV than this weapon."

"I understand that the Unity might be the best now since it got to keep a foregrip, and that’s how I run my T1 Cycler, but I’m not crazy about SPA lowering its velocity since I like to engage at medium range. So it’s basically a Cycler but with slightly less of an edge at longer ranges than 15m to me."

Source:Reddit

Personally I feel the T1 was already sharing the best AR spot with the TORQ, but the Unity now has them beat.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

wei posted:

Personally I feel the T1 was already sharing the best AR spot with the TORQ, but the Unity now has them beat.

Serious question to the gun spergs like you and Nakar... do any of the VS AR's even rank in the top 10 of assault rifles? Like I know VS AR's are poo poo... but just how lovely are they?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Let's not forget:

The Unity, like the Cycler, remains in that grey area between decent CQC weapons (TAR, TRV) and decent jack-of-all trade weapons (TORQ, NS-11). It really needs a single direction horizontal recoil pattern to be a worthwhile weapon in my opinion.

In this poster's universe 143/750 is not good enough DPS for a close-quarters weapon and somehow two guns with random angled recoil, more horizontal recoil generally, and twice the horizontal tolerance are harder to control than a gun that has average tolerance, kicks straight up, and fires more slowly. You can't fix someone who ignores all of the facts.

Not sure I necessarily agree about the Unity being better than the TORQ. Does it still have the effective recoil of a Grip Cycler, or is that not the case anymore? I think that's a meaningful distinction that would make the Unity more of a sidegrade that's competitive with the Cycler/TORQ without being better, but if it's just a Gripped T1 with SPA then it's probably the best AR in the game.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Serious question to the gun spergs like you and Nakar... do any of the VS AR's even rank in the top 10 of assault rifles? Like I know VS AR's are poo poo... but just how lovely are they?
The Terminus is probably a top 5 AR and I would rank it above any NC AR, but most of the top ARs are TR.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The horizontal recoil pattern that straight up stops existing when you equip a grip and is barely there without on the t1 cycler? How can they cope?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nakar posted:

The Terminus is probably a top 5 AR and I would rank it above any NC AR, but most of the top ARs are TR.

I guess the better question, could you rank the AR's for me? (Not just VS ones, all of them) Maybe it's me (probably is) but I just find all the VS AR's unusable outside the Terminus and H-V45 which are admittedly our best guns in that category, and the NS-11a would be between those two in terms of effectiveness for me. I ask since after getting the LMG directive done I want to start working on my medic... but christ VS AR's are painful to use.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Fart Car '97 posted:

The one thing that is really baffling to me about the 'air game': Nobody spots, at all. You'd think people would have realized by now that if someone is spotted, they are on everyone's minimap and every other ESF nearby knows where they are and sees which way they're facing. The amount of times I see one fighter up against 3 or 4 and everyone is flying in circles trying to find the one mosquito who is just spinning wildly, because nobody bothered to spot him, is hilarious.

It is pretty funny seeing that situation, spotting the guy from a distance, and then just watching the entire herd spin right at him and vaporize him, though.

A lot do actually, the problem is spots are only good for friendlies within 100m of your location, which can fall away quickly in the air. The minimap, at least when I'm flying, only seems to give a general direction of where the enemy fighter is.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Random AR ranking because whatever who cares. :spergin: Not including Auraxium guns because I've not used them.

Top 10 - Best of the Best
1) TORQ-9: Basically does it all, at every range. When hit detection works, anyway. :argh:
2) T1 Cycler: Similar to the TORQ, fewer attachments better DPM, and free.
3) Terminus VX-9: A Cycler with slightly better accuracy/DPS/reload, but a smaller mag. Could basically tie for #2.
4) SABR-13: If you can get past the burst locking (which has its advantages) it's a better NC gun than the NC get.
5) NC1 Gauss Rifle: Perfect generalist like the Cycler/Terminus, better at midrange but worse up close.
6) Cycler TRV: Insane damage and not that hard to control. Utterly fucks anyone within 25m no matter what they're using.
7) Reaper DMR: Ludicrous damage, ludicrous reload speed, insane if you can headshot.
8) T1S Cycler: The Pulsar if it weren't poo poo. Perfect handling for an acceptable DPS trade.
9) CME: Legitimate headshot cannon and one of the few weapons where no bullet drop matters. 100m+ sniping, seriously.
10) NS-11A: Trades DPS for basically every other advantage, 75% ADS on a gun with the smoothness to exploit it.

Bottom 10 - The Rest
11) Gauss Rifle S: Really, really smooth-handling gun. DPS is a bit worse than the T1S's but still great.
12) NC9 A-Tross: Huge DPM and 200 damage rounds with decent overall accuracy too. Lacks damage output vs. the Reaper though.
13) GR-22: 75% ADS and the best overall handling of the 800 RPM hoses.
14) H-V45: 75% ADS and good midranged performance, not obsessively rattly but not perfect either.
15) TAR: 75% ADS and the deepest magazine, but holy God the handling is the worst of any automatic in the game, period.
16) Burst Variants (T1B/Equinox Burst/Gauss Burst): Crazy ADS COFs, but also crazy recoil. Would be broken with lower FSRMs.
17) Carnage AR: 75% ADS goodness but the nerfs hit it pretty hard and it needs some management to shine, also lowish DPM.
18) Pulsar VS1: A thoroughly mediocre gun with nothing awful or great about it.
19) Corvus VA55: Nice handling but basically no better than the CME's with the worst DPS as as needless penalty.
20) Equinox VE2: Genuine garbage, worse than the NS-11A at everything but having underbarrel attachments.

That's mostly just my opinion, of course. I'd say the issue for VS is less that they don't have any good ARs (they do, the Terminus is a top contender and the CME is great), but that they have basically all the worst ones. I also hear the Unity and Gauss Prime are great but the Darkstar is meh, so that'd add fuel to that fire.

JoeytheRumpWrecker
Aug 31, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

All you TR weirdos, I'm running K0TH alt night ops tonight at 7pm if you want to roll with some goons

Eastern? What's your TR name to get an outfit invite for my alt?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The biggest problem I am having with Tomcat is that most of the the kills I get with them go to my nose gun, because it's always the thing that finishes them off. Most of my actual Tomcat kills are from a single missile that hits someone who is half-way dead already :shrug:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I'm a huge weirdo and actually really love the Corvus, for all its faults. Sure, it's got awful DPS, but it makes up for it by being one of the smoothest-handling guns in the entire game and has the best DPM of ARs available to the VS to boot. It's sort of a bridge between Battle Rifles and ARs, but I'm a big fan of the gun.

I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if SOE boosted its damage to TRAP-style 185-167 or gave it a heat mechanic, though.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_g9EXG0iYpTeygC5zM4mmfw3hUnDFmr2

Found some for ya. Check the Heavy Damage series especially but Moukass is fantastic for these things because he lists everything he is using and puts text prompts up to convey details relevant to why he's doing what he's doing

V V V with the exception of Fallbridge last night it's been fine for me! V V V

I watched all of these and I want to know where these fights are happening, where the guys on the other side have necks locked in position and literally never look left or right or shoot at you when you run into a pack of them.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Magmarashi posted:

I watched all of these and I want to know where these fights are happening, where the guys on the other side have necks locked in position and literally never look left or right or shoot at you when you run into a pack of them.

Fight pretty much any NC zerg on Emerald.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Manslaughter posted:

Fight pretty much any NC zerg on Emerald.

This is every zerg on Emerald. TR and VS zerg pubbies do the same thing.

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
Thank Christ whoever called out reflex sights having issues, I switched to the 3.4 for a simple crosshair and everything is so much better now.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fart Car '97 posted:

This kind of thing is why I end up just mashing Q on enemy aircraft flying overhead. If they're in my view and I'm not in a fight, I might as well spot them for friendlies that might have AA when I don't. It's surprisingly effective, even when rolling in a pubby zerg. It's very satisfying to watch an ESF come diving in for a run from what he thinks is behind, then once I Q spot him watch him get lit up like a christmas tree.

I started working on my VS alt, because I wanted a break and I hadn't really tried them much. Grab an HA loadout with nothing fancy, just one of the free LMGs with no mods. Immediately rack up a 15 kill streak with the drat thing. :stare: While obviously not the most impressive killstreak of all time, it was a weird feeling to just be butchering people so freely with a gun I wasn't used to. Both the Orion and the LA-88 seem pretty good for mid range combat. A shame the infinite ammo Orion will undoubtedly be turned into a no damage laser pointer by the time I rack up 6k kills or whatever it requires.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

:tipshat:

Thanks, and it's worth noting that the only guns I've really used on my medic have been the NS-11, H-V45, then shotguns & SMG's since I just unlocked the Terminus the other day. Not really looking forward to kill whoring it up on a support class with only 3 decent guns after I get the Betelgeuse.

:negative:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

VS heat mechanic should work via RoF, faster RoF the more it heats up so mag dumping the orion would get you only 40 rounds but the ursa would actually have 120 rounds if you mag dumped it due to its low RoF. This way the corvus would be even more powerful with a 45 round mag if you mag dumped it because of its low RoF. Balance this by having heat take longer to dissipate the hotter you got so completely mag dumping a corvus would take 3.5 seconds to cool down.

For instance shooting 20 rounds from the orion then stopping would begin the cooling process much faster so pausing for 1 second every 20 rounds would give you an effective mag of 60 rounds rather then 50.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

The NS-15M is a lot of fun, you only need to worry about aiming for the head and otherwise it takes care of everything else - no recoil, insane uptime, great hipfire, great mobility. It's not actually competitive with the Anchor at the same price, but as a bundle purchase it's quite ok, especially on sale.

The Underboss on the other side is kinda pointless now that it doesn't combo with the knife anymore, and it's outshadowed by the Commissioner when you want just a single big finisher. Stats-wise it could be solid as a medium/long-range sidearm (to be paired with shotguns), since it's got the same accuracy and shots-to-kill as the Commish, but that would require decent sights and a recoil animation that doesn't take up half your screen; as it is, I have an easier time landing seven shots with the Rebel than four with either revolver.

My opinion is that you can wait for a Steam sale and won't be any worse off, but it can be a reasonable purchase even at full price if you really like the Esamir Snow camo (which is almost perfect white and means you can ignore the Objective directive). You should absolutely buy the $/€9 bundle before you even look at the $/€7 one though (and the $/€7 one before the $/€5 one).

I tried the NS-15M in the VR and it's pretty pleasant to use, like the NS-11P.

Sucks that the Underboss is meh, and seems unnecessary since I bought the Commissioner for a buck a while back (and it came with a mediocre carbine and I got the Indar Dry Brush camo from the Fresh Meat pack).

I think I'll wait for a sale.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The Underboss isn't bad exactly, but all it has over the Commissioner is you can spam it slightly faster. Except it seems to shoot everywhere but straight when you do that, while "spamming" the Commissioner will produce much more consistent shots. Knife damage nerf also proportionately hurt the Underboss more than the Commissioner, it seems. The one thing I will say for the Underboss is that unlike the Commissioner its sight appears to be aligned somewhat correctly, as it actually works in ADS to some extent. But the revolvers kick like mules so good luck fanning the hammer while aiming.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Nakar posted:

The Underboss isn't bad exactly, but all it has over the Commissioner is you can spam it slightly faster. Except it seems to shoot everywhere but straight when you do that, while "spamming" the Commissioner will produce much more consistent shots. Knife damage nerf also proportionately hurt the Underboss more than the Commissioner, it seems. The one thing I will say for the Underboss is that unlike the Commissioner its sight appears to be aligned somewhat correctly, as it actually works in ADS to some extent. But the revolvers kick like mules so good luck fanning the hammer while aiming.

I think the Commish is more accurate in spam mode simply because of the delay between shots. I'm too lazy to look up the CoF reset time but I bet it's very similar between the guns.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

JoeytheRumpWrecker posted:

Eastern? What's your TR name to get an outfit invite for my alt?

FlakemoreBloodstab, get on in!

And yeah it's EST

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

nm I'm stupid

TheTrend fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 3, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

A Tartan Tory posted:

I'm pretty sure these are quotes from idiot TR on the official forums.

At least I hope they are. :stare:

This is literally the only thing of value I've ever found on the official forums.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nakar posted:

That would explain why I seem to pull off ADS shots with the Underboss that I can never land with my Commish.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The AirSperg tears thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2f94v2/difference_between_fuel_tanks_and_a2a_lockons/

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Initial trip report about the Vandal: Something feels wrong with the stats on this gun compared to how it actually performs. The shots place more reliably when spamming than you'd think, and I swear it's firing faster than the Nyx, even though it shouldn't be and in fact has a longer listed chamber time (even though that should be a useless stat). It's been said a lot already but this gun, :zaeed:. Get it, put a laser on it, try to decide on the 3.4x red dot versus the amazing 4x pure crosshair scope (or go live on the wild side and 1x/suppressor) and destroy everyone you meet.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Daily reminder to always pull Stealth 4/Tomcats, and to type "gd" if anyone whispers you. Together, we can get skygods to collectively gently caress off to another game. :patriot:

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Nakar posted:

AR ranking

As far as I know the Unity is just SPA and Grip. The patch notes say HVA and Compensator were taken off for SPA. Darkstar's meh because it has bad DPM and awful tolerance.

Pretty much agree with your list. Personally my favourite ARs are the Terminus, NC1 Gauss and T1 Cycler. The SABR and Reaper are cool but I don't really like clicking so much and I haven't really gotten used to 200 damage guns. The CME has a fun if unexciting niche, so maybe do that next A Winner is Jew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

alarumklok posted:

Daily reminder to always pull Stealth 4/Tomcats, and to type "gd" if anyone whispers you. Together, we can get skygods to collectively gently caress off to another game. :patriot:

Whenever I have nanites I don't need, this is the product I trust to give me the most bang for my purchase. Vanu bless the A2A lockons and rage whispers.

• Locked thread