Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Werthog 95 posted:

Alright, it is time for an expose on the different connections between various groups in this GamerGate scandal.

The majority of this SJW stuff, at its core, is coming from what is known as "Weird Twitter." (inb4 >KYM http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/weird-twitter) Weird Twitter was initially formed when users of the FYAD subforum on the Something Awful forums decided that the forums were slowly dying (which is true) and took to Twitter to increase their internet presence and be able to interact with more people (largely to harass them). They had created such a hostile environment to newcomers in FYAD that essentially no new blood trickled in, and they literally had to force new people to post there through moderator bullshit, and even then the sole purpose of that was not to get new blood, but for the insular clique who have known each other for more than a decade now, to torment that person. So they needed greener pastures, which they found on Twitter, where they were joined by refugees from Laissez Faire, a FYAD-style subforum which at the end of its lifespan was filled with anime avatar hardline Marxists (think /pol/ but even more extreme, but on the left, and extremely ban-happy. It ultimately fell apart and was resurrected as various offsite forums time and again because they kept falling apart due to drama and users harassing each other).

Anyway this insular group of a few dozen or so people quickly attracted a large following on Twitter by making genuinely amusing Tweets (which had mostly nothing to do with SJW poo poo), and among that following were many indie creators and related SJW types, mostly because those Tweets had SJW-friendly language (the most glaring examples of this language are infantile-sounding insults like "garbagemen" or "piss baby").

However, besides making amusing Tweets, they had another purpose: Harassing people for their own amusement. The former LF parts of Weird Twitter and their largely SJW indie dev follower (and similar people, you get the picture) crowd merely provided SJW issues as a heuristic to find targets to single out and harass. If this in-group had accumulated a following among a different demographic (which is however a rather unlikely scenario, given the initial LF element among them) they would have looked for people to harass based on whatever that demographic valued, rather than SJW issues. It's important to understand that the SJW issues they supposedly care about are merely meant to raise a Twitter mob outside of their small circle. On FYAD itself, they have no issues with throwing around racist and sexist slurs like they're going out of style. They just know how to keep that poo poo off Twitter, since the average FYAD post would give a true SJW a heart attack.

And make no mistake, these people have absolutely no issues with harassment up to and including death threats either. FYAD even managed to make a depressed, possibly autistic man kill himself due to their harassment, a fact that if brought up rather than denying, they will gloat and laugh about. Many of these people were active in Helldump, another Something Awful subforum which existed for the sole purpose of doxxing SA users and digging up as much embarrassing information on them as possible, which went as far as users posting nude pictures of an underaged girl, as well as making fun of users with physical disabilities.

One of the superstars of that subforum was also involved with the attempt at bullying a 10 year-old (who they also doxxed and threatened with death). I say attempt because the 10 year-old shrugged it off like a champ. The guy, btw, should be somewhere in his mid-to-late 30s. This whole episode is well-known, and 4chan has torn the parties involved a new one over it.

Zoe Quinn, by her own admission in mid-August (I believe she tweeted it on August 12th or 15th, it should still be there if she hasn't deleted it), is still an active SA forums user and has been since 2002. It is safe to assume that she is part of this in-group which is at the center of this Twitter shitstorm.

How do I know all this? Simple, I used to be part of it. I wasn't part of the FYAD in-group but one of the people who joined later on Twitter (although I had been posting and lurking on the SA forums for years beforehand, I simply didn't interact with FYAD). The 10 year-old harassment episode opened my eyes, and I used what I know to put 2 and 2 together, and here you are reading the results.

So what does this have to do with the larger SJW community?

Simple: This isn't about gamers, gaming or feminism. The SJW poo poo is simply a smoke-screen which an insular group of people who have known each other for over a decade use to get their truly massive amount of SJW Twitter followers who are not part of that in-group, to join in on harassment, which they get off on. I almost feel bad for legit SJWs who participate in this, they are merely useful idiots. If you are an SJW reading this: You have been tricked, rused, bamboozled. The same people who point you to targets which to attack are the very bullies you proclaim to loathe.

Anyway, how does this tie into games journalism?

When this whole thing broke loose, it got huge overnight, despite constant censorship attempts and fraudulent DMCA takedowns across the internet. Gaming journalists, both directly involved with Zoe and indirectly involved by participating in similarly seedy actions which clearly breach the ethics of journalism needed a way to make this go away or bury the larger issue, and fast. All most of them could do on their end was write articles, but that wouldn't have gotten the needed reaction fast enough.

Luckily, they had connections among this in-group (such as Zoe Quinn possibly being a part of it, as well as other indie devs and related people who follow people from the in-group and are followed back by them) which had, by now, years of experience in raising Twitter lynch mobs and who had the required number of followers among the SJW crowd. Thus, they mobilized them to turn what is a journalistic issue at heart into an SJW issue. And this they gladly did, because it meant getting to harass people.
*in a snake voice like how he says metal gear*

tom collins?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yodzilla posted:

i thought there already was no server selection ala old world of warcraft. i mean hell, can't you play cross realm in wow now too?

there are server groupings that let you play pvp with each other but the general world is still separate

or at least that's how it was the last time i paid attention

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
OH NO THEY'RE KILLING THE ROLEPLAYING SERVERS

i'm a hot cat thing with big tits

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Yodzilla posted:

same, wanna use /dance to crudely imitate sex

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Improbable Lobster posted:

same, wanna use /dance to crudely imitate sex

same except get obscene amounts of gold so it can rot in my charactres pockets while i never play again

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also I don't think anyone has actually cleared the 40-man raid yet.

Strangely enough, making 40-man raids which are ridiculously hard and require all 40 players to be on the ball/not lagging/present for hours on end hasn't generated the amount of subscriber retention they've been told would happen by the poopsockers who abandoned WoW because Blizzard gave into the dumb casual players

weird!! maybe they need to make it more difficult

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Please get on your facerig chat channel

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
oh my god you have to grind a 20 man raid for drops before you can even get into a 40 man raid. loving looooooool

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Yodzilla posted:

oh my god you have to grind a 20 man raid for drops before you can even get into a 40 man raid. loving looooooool
here's what you have to do to get into the easiest 20-man raid (sorry for the long image):

this isn't fake btw, that's really what you have to do

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Yodzilla posted:

why doesn't this appeal to anyone?!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

this isn't 1999 mmo "players" won't drink that poo poo and call it ice cream

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Fabricated posted:

this isn't fake btw,

nice username/post combo

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

also once people actually got into the beta the hype completely died because the game ran like total garbage, and was just not very fun. the only reason it was so hyped for years was because no one had any idea what the game was like

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
i remember back when vanguard: saga of heroes was in beta they were trying to court the hardcore everquest players and some of them made the serious suggestion that you have to hit a button every few seconds during flight paths to flap its wings or some poo poo, because going afk is for casuals

its like mmo players live in some weird bubble where they confuse taking a long time for challenge, and as a result the actual gameplay of mmos is idiot trash garbage and now its a dead genre

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Space-Pope posted:

i remember back when vanguard: saga of heroes was in beta they were trying to court the hardcore everquest players and some of them made the serious suggestion that you have to hit a button every few seconds during flight paths to flap its wings or some poo poo, because going afk is for casuals

its like mmo players live in some weird bubble where they confuse taking a long time for challenge, and as a result the actual gameplay of mmos is idiot trash garbage and now its a dead genre
mmos are being killed by the fact that like every game that isn't an explicitly single-player experience is getting seamless drop-in-drop-out multiplayer, matchmaking, etc centered around shorter play sessions

the only way an MMO will ever hit WoW numbers again is if they somehow pull off something completely insane like a ludicrously huge and well-done sandbox, or Eve but not for autists

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
or just be destiny

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

also once people actually got into the beta the hype completely died because the game ran like total garbage, and was just not very fun. the only reason it was so hyped for years was because no one had any idea what the game was like

that's what happened to me

game played like poo poo in beta, never looked back

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Isnt this every aaa game ever

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Eve but not for autists
:aaa:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Isnt this every aaa game ever
yes

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

i remember when people were looking forward to the martyrdom perk from cod4

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
speaking of time sinks i just played a little state of decay and it seems like just a real waste of time, moreso than other games. fetch quests galore

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what's going on with imgur tonight

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

sex crimes overloading their servers, probably

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
i just warriors orochi 3 for the ps4 because i really liked the older * warriors games, and this one seems to wrap up all the dumb in the series into one game, but its still kinda fun

although at some point koei said gently caress to translating the voice work and everything is in japanese

i've had more fun with this then the destiny beta, which either says a lot about destiny or myself

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Fabricated posted:

lol @ anyone believing that

the part about redmercer failing to intimidate a ten year old is as real as it gets im afraid

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Fabricated posted:

mmos are being killed by the fact that like every game that isn't an explicitly single-player experience is getting seamless drop-in-drop-out multiplayer, matchmaking, etc centered around shorter play sessions

the only way an MMO will ever hit WoW numbers again is if they somehow pull off something completely insane like a ludicrously huge and well-done sandbox, or Eve but not for autists

I wish I could find the blog post where this guy had a hypothetical pitch meeting where a company having roughly 100 million dollars in 2005 could invest in a number of different companies making an MMO, all with good track records and talented people (like, Bioware is described as the makers of some of the best single-player rpgs ), and then you could click on each and every one of the pitches and see how it failed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fabricated posted:

here's what you have to do to get into the easiest 20-man raid (sorry for the long image):

this isn't fake btw, that's really what you have to do

who the gently caress even has the time for that poo poo

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Certainly not a guy that makes almost 30 posts a day on an internet forum. Lmao.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

The problems with MMOs are that all the tricks they use to retain players kinda works, but that means that when you stop playing them you've been bored with them for way too long and have forgotten why you enjoyed them in the first place. All the fun parts of the game is long forgotten, and the only memories left are of grinding toilet paper in some ugly desert

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't even know what could possibly entice me to play another MMO. Maybe nothing.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

outside of wow (which feeds on nostalgia), mmos will never be profitable again because they are glorified chat channels and their entire success is based on the novelty of social interaction on the internet! social media is a thing now, the novelty wore off and you can get your e-drama fix on twitter without farming boar asses

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

people who play poo poo like dota and day z zombie thing

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
should i buy payday 1 or payday 2

will be playing w/ friends

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

should i buy payday 1 or payday 2

will be playing w/ friends

skip 1 and go directly to 2, it's much better across the board

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't even know what could possibly entice me to play another MMO. Maybe nothing.

i wouldnt mind playing one again, but that level thing always fucks with me because i like to play a bit, then go away then come back later and play some more and now its impossible to play with the same people since im super behind and gently caress you you dont get any experience since your more than 3 levels off or whatever. borderlands 2 is kind of the same way, though now theres a save editor and i might just use that so i can get back into it

might try more defiance since that one at least was better about being interesting about combat

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ordered layton x wright because i finally found it for a decent price (33€). the game's msrp here is 40€ where the us price is $30, thanks nintendo

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

This is pretty funny http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/3/5772796/nba-y2k-series-finale-the-death-of-basketball

Also just got a key for the hex beta, is it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

ordered layton x wright because i finally found it for a decent price (33€). the game's msrp here is 40€ where the us price is $30, thanks nintendo

Game is good though a bit weird. It felt more like switching between two games than the series complementing each other, and the art styles clash a lot.

• Locked thread