Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

Gyges posted:

You know, every time I've seen Stefan Molyneux's name as the guest I just figured it was the Fable guy and didn't listen. Turns out Stefan Molyneux is not Peter Molyneux so I've got no idea who he is other than from his wiki page.

Holy poo poo.

I have listened to them all thinking he was that Peter guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Hocus Pocus posted:

I'm not from North America so I've never heard of Stefan Molyneux, but I listen to plenty of philosophy podcasts and have a few friends who work in a philosophy department, and Molyneux doesn't sound like an academic or a philosopher...

What's his reputation among those who know who he is? Because Joe is poking pretty big holes in a lot of what he's saying, and Joe ain't that sharp.

He's a Randian Libertarian who is part of some pseudo-cult that has you divorcing your family. Like all Libertarians, he has some good concepts he bandies around--specifically his attitude towards child-rearing and spanking, which he is adamantly opposed to. Unfortunately, he's like...SUPER anti-feminist, believes racism is a product of the state to divide the population, thinks all taxes are stealing, goes on long rambles about unreported evils women commit, and did I mention he's a Randian Libertarian because that poo poo is pants on head retarded.

He's also a bit of a smug prick.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BottledBodhisvata posted:

He's a Randian Libertarian who is part of some pseudo-cult that has you divorcing your family. Like all Libertarians, he has some good concepts he bandies around--specifically his attitude towards child-rearing and spanking, which he is adamantly opposed to. Unfortunately, he's like...SUPER anti-feminist, believes racism is a product of the state to divide the population, thinks all taxes are stealing, goes on long rambles about unreported evils women commit, and did I mention he's a Randian Libertarian because that poo poo is pants on head retarded.

There's non-smug prick randians?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

This guy should go on Anthony's show.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I read the first paragraph of his wiki and wanted to punch him in the throat, knowing nothing else about him. He's into bitcoins and the "non-aggression principle," which I had to look up because I am a low-minded ignoramus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHe4OQ4bY4o
It's giving a name to "don't gently caress with people for no reason". Which is cool I guess. But smug nonetheless. :smug: Don't you support the non-aggression principle? You see the government blah blah blah

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Omglosser posted:

I read the first paragraph of his wiki and wanted to punch him in the throat, knowing nothing else about him. He's into bitcoins and the "non-aggression principle," which I had to look up because I am a low-minded ignoramus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHe4OQ4bY4o
It's giving a name to "don't gently caress with people for no reason". Which is cool I guess. But smug nonetheless. :smug: Don't you support the non-aggression principle? You see the government blah blah blah

He has weird definitions of aggression too. Like, taxes are aggression. And, like any principle, the more rigidly he defends it, the more weirdly religious it all seems to be. Plus there's the whole inalienable rights to property or some poo poo, I dunno. He's smug, he's got a voicebox, and he doesn't support universal health care or public schools so gently caress 'im.

VVV--I watched one episode with him and Rogan, the first one, which was alright because they mostly talked about the Trayvon Martin stuff and I rather liked his thorough account of the Zimmerman trial and the like. It was the only sensible interview they had, and Rogan kind of just nodded along to everything he said. The second interview I had to turn off less than 20 minutes in, I think they were whining about the ACA and it was right around the time of the shut down.

Does Rogan actually challenge him any? I've known Rogan to largely just agree with the Libtartds he has had on his show (Peter Schiff comes to mind).

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 23, 2014

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I do listen to his podcast from time to time. He has very interesting ideas and he is very controversial and entertaining at times, but he does become insufferable because his channel is an echo chamber. The callers don't challenge him because he dominates the conversation too much. I like it better when he goes on other people's channels like Joe Rogan because they actually do challenge and debate him. He's a smart guy and a very good debater, so it's more fun to see him when he's out of his element and debating people who are more at or above his level. His callers are usually sycophants, unfortunately.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
Well, if you had went and listened to the episode, you would have enjoyed it, because Joe gave him a hard time this go-around. It gets pretty awkward when he starts pulling clips and asking Molyneux to explain himself about cutting statists out of your life and poo poo like that.

Also, Robin Williams died because of women's addiction to free stuff.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Peter North posted:

Well, if you had went and listened to the episode, you would have enjoyed it, because Joe gave him a hard time this go-around. It gets pretty awkward when he starts pulling clips and asking Molyneux to explain himself about cutting statists out of your life and poo poo like that.

Also, Robin Williams died because of women's addiction to free stuff.

Is THAT what his "truth about Robin Williams" video is about? That poo poo pops up in my reccomendations from time to time, but I didn't really think...

Like, seriously, gently caress this guy. He latches onto every major celebrity and public figure death to generate hits for his Youtube channel. He did the same thing with Nelson Mandela, towards whom he was less than kind.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
It was funny when the seasteading guy said that Dr Oz was brought before congress to testify about his claims about miracle fat loss supplements because the free market decided it.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

last weeks ice house #100 had redban spilling the beans on a possible deathsquad bankruptcy. lol at that dude

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
Legalzoom

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

DJ BK posted:

last weeks ice house #100 had redban spilling the beans on a possible deathsquad bankruptcy. lol at that dude

Was never a fan of him but that's a real bummer. Not surprised though.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
Cara Santa Maria is cool and a good guest and during her latest episode I learned taht Stefan Molneaux told Joe that Robin Williams killed himself because women are addicted to free things.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

A Keg posted:

Cara Santa Maria is cool and a good guest and during her latest episode I learned taht Stefan Molneaux told Joe that Robin Williams killed himself because women are addicted to free things.

http://youtu.be/diyuAXzN7yo?t=35m11s

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 29, 2014

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Is he saying "herpes settlement"??

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Omglosser posted:

Is he saying "herpes settlement"??

Yep http://youtu.be/diyuAXzN7yo?t=19m30s

He does claim to put people who disagree with him at the top of the queue in his call in show to debate him. I wonder if this is actually true. Still, it'd be a tough debate to win. Any time you're the guy calling into a show you're always at a disadvantage, and unless he's the guy going on someone else's show (like Joe Rogan's), he tends dominate the conversation.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 29, 2014

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
I'm catching up on some recent episodes and the episode with Mike Baker (former CIA guy) is loving ridiculous. Rogan was a hundred times tougher on the two buddhists than he is a guy who outright laughs at conspiracy theories Rogan himself has said he believes.

I'm going to have to turn this one off at less than an hour in for exactly the opposite reasons I turned off the buddhist episode.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Would it hurt your opinion of Mike Baker more if I told you he got trolled by twitter users so hard he showed up to a radio show unannounced thinking he was booked?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Is the Sam Harris 9/2 episode any good?

WHY SEE ESS
Sep 12, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

Is the Sam Harris 9/2 episode any good?

Are you very scared of brown people? Then you'll love Sam Harris.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

WHY SEE ESS posted:

Are you very scared of brown people? Then you'll love Sam Harris.

Aka a gross, hyperbolic label given to everyone critical of Islam circa 2007, but I haven't listened to Sam Harris in years so correct me if I'm wrong.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
I remember a Sam harris piece I read once where he went on about something like singularity, I can't totally remember, and was saying what he'd heard from this or that PhD. Then in the conclusion he said something like, "If even part of this is true, we're in for some big changes in the future" and I thought gently caress this man forever

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Regulus74 posted:

I'm catching up on some recent episodes and the episode with Mike Baker (former CIA guy) is loving ridiculous. Rogan was a hundred times tougher on the two buddhists than he is a guy who outright laughs at conspiracy theories Rogan himself has said he believes.

I'm going to have to turn this one off at less than an hour in for exactly the opposite reasons I turned off the buddhist episode.

Well, he knows he can challenge a couple of magical-thinking "buddhists" more than he can a former CIA agent. Not for any other reason than he knows the CIA guy absolutely will not divulge any information or continue down one of what he calls rabbit holes for long.

In Mike Baker's defense, you forget he started out as just a regular guy (save for his irregular job) who got his own TV show. He laughs at conspiracy theories, but perhaps he really doesn't know poo poo so he just laughs because he doesn't want to seem ignorant but at the same time doesn't want to give credence to stuff that would sully the name of his beloved agency. That's pretty much the vibe I got from him. Although at times it really seemed like he knew more than he let on. There were times when he spoke that there was this practiced hesitation in his syllables that made it seem like he was censoring his information as it was coming out of his mouth.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

Omglosser posted:

Well, he knows he can challenge a couple of magical-thinking "buddhists" more than he can a former CIA agent. Not for any other reason than he knows the CIA guy absolutely will not divulge any information or continue down one of what he calls rabbit holes for long.

In Mike Baker's defense, you forget he started out as just a regular guy (save for his irregular job) who got his own TV show. He laughs at conspiracy theories, but perhaps he really doesn't know poo poo so he just laughs because he doesn't want to seem ignorant but at the same time doesn't want to give credence to stuff that would sully the name of his beloved agency. That's pretty much the vibe I got from him. Although at times it really seemed like he knew more than he let on. There were times when he spoke that there was this practiced hesitation in his syllables that made it seem like he was censoring his information as it was coming out of his mouth.

Mike was awesome because although, yes he probably knew more, he plainly said that secrets don't say secret for too long. Regardless on whats happening, the American public will eventually know. We know China is more aggressive, the middle-east is a cluster gently caress and the Russia thing is crazy, he just might know whats really happening with a little "reverse engineering" of the media stories.

He gave us all the pieces, pretty much says the media is full of poo poo and the world has always been hosed. We are just seeing it a lot more now and it scares us.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I enjoyed the Mike Judge and the Sam Harris episodes. I think this podcast shines when the guest is more educated than Joe. He shuts up a bit more.

He should only have guests like them that prevent his rants and rename the show "Joe Learns"

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Lampsacus posted:

I enjoyed the Mike Judge and the Sam Harris episodes. I think this podcast shines when the guest is more educated than Joe. He shuts up a bit more.

He should only have guests like them that prevent his rants and rename the show "Joe Learns"

He had Mike Judge on?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Evil Agita posted:

He had Mike Judge on?
Sorry, Baker.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
So that Bhuddist episode is worth listening to? I actually skipped out 10 minutes in because I thought it'd be them just talking about Bhuddism (I guess it was) but I didn't imagine Joe being critical. I like the sound of that.

The Sam Harris episode was decent, as was the Mike Candlestick-Maker one. Like someone said, smarter than Joe is nice. Which is most guests. We need more Bravo/that-bigfoot-hunting-guy-level guys actually to switch things up a bit.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I'd be on board with another James "Bobo" Fay episode. Bigfoot and the like is a huge guilty pleasure of mine and I will happily listen to a guy passionately talk about squatchin'.

I guess I'll check out the Sam Harris ep, as I've read a couple of his books and wouldn't mind hearing him blow Joe's mind for a couple of hours.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

XIII posted:

Yeah, I'd be on board with another James "Bobo" Fay episode. Bigfoot and the like is a huge guilty pleasure of mine and I will happily listen to a guy passionately talk about squatchin'.

I guess I'll check out the Sam Harris ep, as I've read a couple of his books and wouldn't mind hearing him blow Joe's mind for a couple of hours.
Actually you are right. Guilty pleasure C2C-esque level of stupiddumb is fun too. Maybe there are two sweet zones for guests and its just terrible when they are on par with Joe in terms of smarts/knowledge/libertarian.

The Sam ep is cool because Joe ACTUALLY shuts up for long periods of time after asking a question.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
The problem with it is that Sam Harris is basically as stupid as Joe, he just knows more stuff. At the end of the day hes just as clueless and prone to buying wholesale into things he doesnt understand.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

The problem with it is that Sam Harris is basically as stupid as Joe, he just knows more stuff. At the end of the day hes just as clueless and prone to buying wholesale into things he doesnt understand.
I disagree. Joe seems to be more tied down with the dogma of his positions. For example, an unwavering belief in the CIA drug runs. Sam strikes me as somebody more prone to adapt his beliefs, if only to suffice his motivation of appearing clever.

What is an example of Sam buying wholesale into something he doesn't understand?

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Omglosser posted:

You misunderstand me. Joe's version of playing devil's advocate against the buddhists takes the form of dominating the conversation with a near constant stream of evopsyche nonsense, biotruths, and pseudoscientific bullshit. It was unbearable.

When he talks to Baker it's completely the opposite. "So what happened to Kennedy?" "Oswald acted alone and there was only one shot." "Aite."

The show gets terrible at either extreme - when Joe is drowning the conversation in a flood of bullshit that has absolutely nothing to do with his guests' field or when he does nothing to challenge guests that literally laugh at his own admitted beliefs. I guess it's all a matter of how Joe views his guests. For gently caress's sake he talked about faking the moon landing with Neil Degrasse Tyson for an hour at least pretend to have the testicular fortitude to not let your loving guest dismiss conversation on your own show about something you've repeatedly admitted to believing just because the guest's a marginally personable, seemingly non-wimpy white dude.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Lampsacus posted:

I disagree. Joe seems to be more tied down with the dogma of his positions. For example, an unwavering belief in the CIA drug runs. Sam strikes me as somebody more prone to adapt his beliefs, if only to suffice his motivation of appearing clever.

What is an example of Sam buying wholesale into something he doesn't understand?

Basically all of his prognosticating. He doesn't have any academic or other basis to start from so he's relying on the trustworthy-ness of whatever authority who told him their opinion. Basically I think hes in the stupid trap that Joe is in, where he only interacts with wealthy people, and particularly wealthy people who make money by selling books based on their credentials, so things like everyone uploading into a big computer brain makes some kind of sense, because there is no attachment to the world that the vast majority of people live in.

I definitely have to agree that Joe is more dogmatic. I guess what I said was a little unfair, but I actually think Joe is more honest because at least he puts the disclaimer on everything that he's operating from a position of ignorance. Also Joe doesn't make his money misinforming people like Harris does, he just shares his opinions and thoughts, which I respect more than someone who writes bad science fiction in the guise of essays and books about the future.

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 4, 2014

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

Basically all of his prognosticating. He doesn't have any academic or other basis to start from so he's relying on the trustworthy-ness of whatever authority who told him their opinion. Basically I think hes in the stupid trap that Joe is in, where he only interacts with wealthy people, and particularly wealthy people who make money by selling books based on their credentials, so things like everyone uploading into a big computer brain makes some kind of sense, because there is no attachment to the world that the vast majority of people live in.

I definitely have to agree that Joe is more dogmatic. I guess what I said was a little unfair, but I actually think Joe is more honest because at least he puts the disclaimer on everything that he's operating from a position of ignorance. Also Joe doesn't make his money misinforming people like Harris does, he just shares his opinions and thoughts, which I respect more than someone who writes bad science fiction in the guise of essays and books about the future.
Fair enough dude.

Let's all agree we are smarter than Joe Rogan and enjoy this show from a bit of an elitist perspective.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
I don't understand your complaint, because they didn't talk about the Middle East at all in this episode. They mostly talked philosophy and neuroscience, which Harris has a PhD in....

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Peter North posted:

I don't understand your complaint, because they didn't talk about the Middle East at all in this episode. They mostly talked philosophy and neuroscience, which Harris has a PhD in....

I wasnt referring to the episode. Im just bitching about Sam Harris in general. Im not sure why but I find him really irritating, to the point where im posting about it a bunch for no good reason.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bundt Cake posted:

I wasnt referring to the episode. Im just bitching about Sam Harris in general. Im not sure why but I find him really irritating, to the point where im posting about it a bunch for no good reason.
It's because he talks like a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Bundt Cake posted:

Sam Harris buys into the culture of fear that dictates U.S. Foreign Policy. Basically, we go to war constantly, endlessly, all over the world, in order to keep America safe from foreign threats. This is ludicrous, but this is what motivates the decision makers in the upper echelons of military policy, and Harris is into that. He's kind of fine when he's talking about weird poo poo he's debunked, but he's all in when it comes to "let's go gently caress up the Middle East/Muslims are a violent and dangerous religion that must be stopped" kind of thing. He's definitely on the right wing of the people whom Joe brings on regularly, and I think he calls himself a libertarian as well?

I don't much care for him, he's kind of like Stefan Molyneux for me--he starts out sounding reasonable and interesting and then you slowly realize that he's actually a loving lunatic. It doesn't help that every person whom I know who actually likes Sam Harris is militant as gently caress when it comes to foreign policy, especially now that you have something as incredibly loathsome as ISIS presenting all the perfect fodder for the people who have been defending our constant destruction of the Middle East and Iraq.

EDIT: Is the CIA guy interview worth listening to at all? I don't know anything about the man, and the thread's impressions seem to make it seem like it's not really much substance.