Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Aristotle Animes posted:

MCI is a joke of an airport. Frigging car rental building is a grandeur the traffic of a regional airport could never fill.

It's also a joke if you have the misfortune of having to connect through there. The architecture pre-dates security checkpoints of any kind, let alone the TSA, and the design was driven by TWA wanting parking garages integrated with the terminal so you could just drive in and walk a minimal amount to your gate.

So you end up with a security checkpoint for a cluster of gates and minimal services for passengers beyond security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

kitten smoothie posted:

It's also a joke if you have the misfortune of having to connect through there. The architecture pre-dates security checkpoints of any kind, let alone the TSA, and the design was driven by TWA wanting parking garages integrated with the terminal so you could just drive in and walk a minimal amount to your gate.

So you end up with a security checkpoint for a cluster of gates and minimal services for passengers beyond security.

That would be terrible. I never even considered someone would connect there. What piece of poo poo airline would connect there? WN? F9?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
MCI does indeed suck.

Chiming in to say gently caress Orlando's airport for a layover or connection too. There are no outlets, everything is disgusting, moldy and old. No restaurants either, except the terrible Johnny Rivers place.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I connected through an airport like that, basically single lane security checks serving four gates each with no way to go between gates except to leave security. But there still was a lot of gates.

The only food service in our secure area was one of those bizarre vending machines that you still have to go through a person to buy from.

I can't remember where it was at all though :(

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

oxsnard posted:

MCI does indeed suck.

Chiming in to say gently caress Orlando's airport for a layover or connection too. There are no outlets, everything is disgusting, moldy and old. No restaurants either, except the terrible Johnny Rivers place.

I have to fly in and out of MCO a few times a year. Connecting or laying over would be poo poo. My main gripe there is 8year olds going to see Mickey cannot be quieted. gently caress.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just put on headphones or show up a little later they're just kids god drat there's a lot of complaining here recently

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Offering up something like the crew rest cabin in the A380 is never going to happen, but it would be awesome.

Coool! But I was thinking something more along the lines of 3 or more passengers per wall and 6 passengers per pod like a Russian Train

sellouts posted:

Just put on headphones or show up a little later they're just kids god drat there's a lot of complaining here recently

But... But... I'm trying to do serious work! In economy!

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

sellouts posted:

yeah, dude. No noise cancelling headphone can block Truman and Kailie from screeching at each other in a Mickey Princess fuel hyper spaz.

not even neccesarily blaming parents here. How the gently caress do you calm a kid down on the way to Disney.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Aristotle Animes posted:

yeah, dude. No noise cancelling headphone can block Truman and Kailie from screeching at each other in a Mickey Princess fuel hyper spaz.

not even neccesarily blaming parents here. How the gently caress do you calm a kid down on the way to Disney.

I'm in and out of MCO about 6 times a year, it's a losing battle. Just roll with it.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

So MCI sucks, MCO is a great contraceptive, and MCE is a shithole. I hope there isn't an A or a U.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

sellouts posted:

I like the rocking chairs they have in San Diego. Those are boss as hell.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I saw a UA dreamliner today at DEN and I totally got a semi.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Uncle Jam posted:

I like the rocking chairs they have in San Diego. Those are boss as hell.

I don't fly out of SAN enough but from memory this is real true.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aristotle Animes posted:

I saw a UA dreamliner today at DEN and I totally got a semi.

Flew LAX-PVG on the plastic princess last year, it was nifty.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

I don't fly out of SAN enough but from memory this is real true.

It is. Rocking chairs are also at CLT which is nice because the rest of CLT is mostly poo poo. The observation deck at BWI is nice for that, too.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Mackieman posted:

Flew LAX-PVG on the plastic princess last year, it was nifty.

UA or ANA? I'm going SEA-NRT on ANA in J at the end of October. I'm really looking forward to that flight.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Uncle Jam posted:

I connected through an airport like that, basically single lane security checks serving four gates each with no way to go between gates except to leave security. But there still was a lot of gates.

The only food service in our secure area was one of those bizarre vending machines that you still have to go through a person to buy from.

I can't remember where it was at all though :(

Berlin Tegel is like this. If you are doing a flight to the US from there, you go though security and customs/immigration at some of the gates. If you want to go back and get some food or something you have to re-enter the country.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah the idea was totally rad as heck but uh the reality of the situation with hijackings and such came around right as MCI opened up.

TWA used to connect through there. I think there are WN connections now too.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah the idea was totally rad as heck but uh the reality of the situation with hijackings and such came around right as MCI opened up.

TWA used to connect through there. I think there are WN connections now too.

Yeah, TWA had big plans for MCI being a big International Hub - you fly to middle America from overseas and every stop is just about equidistant from each other. This is why you see the streets being named after foreign cities (Paris St. blah blah)

Their vision for building the airport was basically flawed from the get-go (They modeled it after JFK - meaning you can park at the terminal and walk right up, except unlike MCI, JFK had plenty of room for passengers) and based on the design, large intl jets (namely the 747) couldn't park in the terminal without people spilling out everywhere in the cramped spaces, making it useless. They found this out then it was too late, and the city wouldn't rebuild. Then TWA moved to STL instead. Whoops.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Lambert in St. Louis is its own special form of too big for its britches at this point as well.

I get the feeling we'll see the same with Charlotte and Phoenix in a few years as well. Hell, look at Cincinnati and Cleveland.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aristotle Animes posted:

UA or ANA? I'm going SEA-NRT on ANA in J at the end of October. I'm really looking forward to that flight.

UA, gotta make that 1K. Well, it was last year, so that trip got me Platinum. But I made 1K this year. :coal:

It's the sCO BusinessFirst seat so it's pretty good. I'm told by folks I know that have done the ANA flight that it's pretty good as well.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

MickeyFinn posted:

Berlin Tegel is like this. If you are doing a flight to the US from there, you go though security and customs/immigration at some of the gates. If you want to go back and get some food or something you have to re-enter the country.

AMS does security at the gate as well. I'm flying out of Berlin Schönefeld in December so I'm interested to see how it goes there.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I flew into MCI once and when we landed the flight attendant specially told transfers to make sure they have their boarding pass if they were going to leave the gate and come back, which seemed really weird to me at the time. I had never heard them say anything like that. Walking right out of the gate and onto the street was pretty cool, but I didn't think much about it till I left the next day. I needed to catch the first flight out and was running a little late with the rental car drop-off, so I was going to grab food on the other side of security. Which was a mistake, because after I went through there was NOTHING to eat at the gates. There was a little shack that had water bottles for sale but it was closed and there wasn't an attendant there. That was a miserable, hungry flight.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just getting to MCI is a pain in the rear end. Let's build the airport in the middle of nowhere. I have family in Topeka, flying there sucks, as I always have to transfer somewhere coming from SAT. The trip usually looks like SAT->DAL->MCI 90 minute drive to Topeka, since that city is so bullshit they don't even have public air transportation available. To be fair though living in Texas and flying from SAT I almost always have to transfer in Dallas or Houston.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

skipdogg posted:

Just getting to MCI is a pain in the rear end. Let's build the airport in the middle of nowhere. I have family in Topeka, flying there sucks, as I always have to transfer somewhere coming from SAT. The trip usually looks like SAT->DAL->MCI 90 minute drive to Topeka, since that city is so bullshit they don't even have public air transportation available. To be fair though living in Texas and flying from SAT I almost always have to transfer in Dallas or Houston.

If you think MCI is out of the way, I wouldn't advise going to almost any of the major cities in China and some in Europe.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mackieman posted:

If you think MCI is out of the way, I wouldn't advise going to almost any of the major cities in China and some in Europe.

I've heard that. I had a co-worker go setup some equipment in a factory in China and getting there was like and episode of the Amazing Race to hear him tell it. I don't travel often for work, but there's a reason I don't have a passport. It's so they can't send me to India, China, or the Philippines when they need an IT guy to go there.

MCI seems out of the way to me, but all my flying has originated from PHX, SAT, or LAS which are all located really well. SAT and PHX are in the middle of the drat city.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Lambert in St. Louis is its own special form of too big for its britches at this point as well.
I love the $1bn runway that came online three years after they basically mothballed 40% of the airport's gate capacity. They greenlit the project back in 1998ish when TWA was still a thing, they couldn't do parallel landings in crappy weather with the then-current runway configuration, and they expected the 2000s to see an explosion in air traffic. Then of course we know how that story ended. 2006 rolls around and they hold a ribbon cutting on a runway nobody needs.

And landing and facility fees are sky-high compared to other airports because of the debt service on the bonds issued to fund this project, so it impacts the ability to attract new carriers to take any of that capacity. We're talking a figure that blows most every other airport out of the water.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 2, 2014

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I don't travel often for work, but there's a reason I don't have a passport. It's so they can't send me to India, China, or the Philippines when they need an IT guy to go there.

I can't believe that line of reasoning is a thing. You are legit missing out on life, man.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

sellouts posted:

I can't believe that line of reasoning is a thing. You are legit missing out on life, man.

Agreed. Not only that but its surprising that even works. I remember I get set up for my first international business trip a lot sooner than expected and had to rush my passport with the extra fees and stuff. It was basically

"I don't have a passport yet."

"Well, you better get that fixed quick."

I love all the international travel I do though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I think international travel for work is a lot better than domestic.You get to go through a duty free and get cheap booze and some small local souvenirs. Plus you get to eat interesting local food on company money! Then again, I'm not 6"2 and can sit in economy perfectly fine without destroying my legs. My biggest bane is sleeping on hard mattresses :smith: And snoring co-workers :suicide:

Mackieman posted:

Narita is like 70km away, Incheon 50km. At the very least most of these cities have some other older airport closer to the city and all sorts of buses.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

caberham posted:

I think international travel for work is a lot better than domestic.You get to go through a duty free and get cheap booze and some small local souvenirs. Plus you get to eat interesting local food on company money! Then again, I'm not 6"2 and can sit in economy perfectly fine without destroying my legs. My biggest bane is sleeping on hard mattresses :smith: And snoring co-workers :suicide:

Narita is like 70km away, Incheon 50km. At the very least most of these cities have some other older airport closer to the city and all sorts of buses.

This is true; most of the major Asian gateways are that way. But then, they also have (usually) efficient public transport, or at least transport options that get you to the city.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
This really only applies to US/AA folks but I was looking at places to travel to this winter for an 'escape the cold and do something neat' vacation and round trip to Madrid is only 30k miles/person in February on US (if you have the CC otherwise it is 35k I realized). Take the train to Seville from there and the weather would be pretty nice.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

caberham posted:

Mother of Christ the amount of the carribe and Europe I've seen on company dime in mid tier hotels... Worth every, infrequent, bad experience and then some. All I have to tell myself is "at least I'm getting paid for this!"

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

caberham posted:

And snoring co-workers :suicide:

I can only think of three reasons why this would be an issue:

1. They snore so loudly that you can hear them through walls (sucks)
2. You are hooking up with a coworker, and she/he a snorer (don't do this)
3. You are being forced to share hotel rooms with a coworker (seek a new employer)

Edit to avoid double-post: In case any of you guys want to buy a Marriott cert off of me - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662402&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post434377995

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 3, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pissingintowind posted:

3. You are being forced to share hotel rooms with a coworker (seek a new employer)

What's everyone else's company policy on this?

Every place I've worked at, they definitely don't require room sharing for anything they could charge to a customer. Neither for teams or small groups traveling on nonbillable business. Basically 98% of the travel you'd do.

However, for big meetings where they fly in a bunch of employees from all over god's green earth, then they've required that you share rooms or else you buy out half the room rate. I generally end up attending such a meeting maybe once every two years and have one coming up next month. While I don't really care to share a room, $300-400 of my own money is more than I'm willing to part with in order to make a principled stand on the matter.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

Agreed. Not only that but its surprising that even works. I remember I get set up for my first international business trip a lot sooner than expected and had to rush my passport with the extra fees and stuff. It was basically

"I don't have a passport yet."

"Well, you better get that fixed quick."

I love all the international travel I do though.

Yeah, there's a reason that express passport services are a thing. And compared to the price of an international plane ticket, the two or three hundred dollar fee is meaningless.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Every place I've worked at, they definitely don't require room sharing for anything they could charge to a customer. Neither for teams or small groups traveling on nonbillable business. Basically 98% of the travel you'd do.

However, for big meetings where they fly in a bunch of employees from all over god's green earth, then they've required that you share rooms or else you buy out half the room rate. I generally end up attending such a meeting maybe once every two years and have one coming up next month. While I don't really care to share a room, $300-400 of my own money is more than I'm willing to part with in order to make a principled stand on the matter.

Ugh that's wrong. I guess if it's a two room suite like embassy or whatever it's fine. Seems like a strange place to try to save money

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Never ever, no way, no how. The day I'm forced to share a room with a co-worker is the day I quit. I already have to share a rental car with them, go to work with them, eat lunch with them, and 95% of the time, go to dinner after work with them. I need some time away from them at some point, and I'm sure they all feel the same way about me.

The only time I did it voluntarily was when I was working in Los Angeles and had to be there for 2 weeks. During the weekend I went to Vegas and used some of my hotel points to book a room at the Venetian, and one of the guys I was with wanted to go, but didn't have enough points yet, and couldn't afford to pay for it himself. I ended up getting a mini-suite anyways, so we had separate areas to sleep in.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pissingintowind posted:

I can only think of three reasons why this would be an issue:

1. They snore so loudly that you can hear them through walls (sucks)
2. You are hooking up with a coworker, and she/he a snorer (don't do this)

Edit to avoid double-post: In case any of you guys want to buy a Marriott cert off of me - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662402&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post434377995

FYI he's the guy from Hong Kong who has to bring a teapot and suitcase of noodles for his seniors whenever they travel. I'm surprised his company actually pays for hotels rather than making them sleep in the rental car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

Never ever, no way, no how. The day I'm forced to share a room with a co-worker is the day I quit. I already have to share a rental car with them, go to work with them, eat lunch with them, and 95% of the time, go to dinner after work with them. I need some time away from them at some point, and I'm sure they all feel the same way about me.

This is my feeling as well. There are exceptions (such as if you're in the field and the only accommodations available require sharing a room/tent/berth). But generally I'd have zero interest in a company that required, or even suggested, sharing hotel rooms with a coworker. I don't do that at home, why would I be expected to do that on travel? Plus, as you said, the hotel room is the only private place I've got when traveling with others. Take that away from me and I'm basically at work 24 hours a day.