Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I built a Shin-Ei with a mid scoop, then an NPN Ge Fuzz Face, and then a BMP with switchable diodes and I personally prefer the BMP (with both humbuckers and single coils).

Go to guitar center and play a bunch and see what you like. Don't try to read other peoples' opinions because fuzz is religious war territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

havelock posted:

Don't try to read other peoples' opinions because fuzz is religious war territory.
'Son, you may have seen some poo poo during the Poker Chip & Pickguard' skirmishes, but by Gawd in heaven above, the 'Fuzz Wars' were hell.'

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Watch a bunch of youtube demos and figure out whether you prefer overpriced Big Muff clones or overpriced Shin Ei clones because that's like 99% of the "boutique" fuzz market.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Which category does the swollen pickle fall under?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

muike posted:

Muff clone.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

Way Huge rules category

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

Very much a muff clone with a lot of extra pots to tweak. It's the best thing I can plug my esquire into.

Just make sure you go after the two internal pots first.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Have any of you used the Line6 Echo Park?
There's a used one for sale local to me for about 90$. Seems pretty reasonable for the amount of features it has.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Anyone have the ernie ball volume pan pedal?

Someone here suggested this long ago but I couldn't find the post.

I have a jc120 and a small tube amp. ( downgraded to JC 55 though, the 120 will sit in my closet until I have kids and they start a band or something.)

Anyways I want to a b y whatever them and this pedal seemed like a cool option.

I want to know if the middle position is both amps at full volume. No tech talk here, I understand there may be some curve or something because two amps at full volume is than each at full volume blah blah

In actual use of this I want to know if there is a noticeable dip in the center halfway between each amp.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pondex posted:

Have any of you used the Line6 Echo Park?
There's a used one for sale local to me for about 90$. Seems pretty reasonable for the amount of features it has.

It's baller, it's got it's own tape algorithm that's better than anything line 6 have done since.

On the downside the switch feels weird and it gets angry if you daisy chain it.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

So a few months back I bought an AC15C1 with Creambacks as babby's first gigging/recording tube amp (asides from an old Kelly 100-watt head I have, but gently caress me is that too loud and heavy for anything at the moment). I'm currently using a Nano Holy Grail and Joyo digital delay along with a Big Muff, but my AC15 doesn't particularly play well with the Muff- it's not a bad sound, but a bit too brittle and scoopy for my liking.

Anyway, I'm looking into getting a good distortion pedal and a transparent overdrive; on the overdrive front I'm pretty much set on the Soul Food due to price + sound unless anyone has any good suggestions. As for the distortion, I'm going for a nice fat sound I can stack on top of the overdrive, something fairly medium-gain that will play well with the glassiness of the Vox. Currently I'm leaning towards the Fat RAT when it comes out as it apparently pairs with Voxes nicely, I love the RAT sound, and the option of extra bottom end would be useful if I also put my basses through it (I loving love the sound of a bass through a RAT. Too good.)

However, I'm not really sure as I have no way of testing it out beyond video demos, and I'm afraid of spending a fuckload of cash on a Fat RAT only to find it sounds like absolute poo poo through my amp. Any suggestions?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'd recommend the nobels odr-1, but you can probably get the soul food cheaper. The soul food is probably also more sturdy.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

comes along bort posted:

Watch a bunch of youtube demos and figure out whether you prefer overpriced Big Muff clones or overpriced Shin Ei clones because that's like 99% of the "boutique" fuzz market.

I prefer Fuzz Face clones thank you

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

philkop posted:

Anyone have the ernie ball volume pan pedal?

Someone here suggested this long ago but I couldn't find the post.

I have a jc120 and a small tube amp. ( downgraded to JC 55 though, the 120 will sit in my closet until I have kids and they start a band or something.)

Anyways I want to a b y whatever them and this pedal seemed like a cool option.

I want to know if the middle position is both amps at full volume. No tech talk here, I understand there may be some curve or something because two amps at full volume is than each at full volume blah blah

In actual use of this I want to know if there is a noticeable dip in the center halfway between each amp.

Yeah, there is. I found it more useful to just use a y cable and run a volume pedal before the JC. It always sounded too thin with just the JC by itself, but bringing some in on top of the tube sound periodically was a nice effect.

You could maybe try to smooth out the volume drop in the center with a compressor on each amp.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Gorgar posted:

compressor on each amp.

drat that blows. I'm going for a super simple set up, not looking to add any extra stuff.

I bought the pedal already, couldn't find one local to test. I got a good deal on it new at least so I could also resell. Who knows, maybe it will work for what I need.

I ought to just run a duo output on my guitar with a crossfader or a knob to mix between the amps.

E: I'll keep it because at the worst it will be a hell of a volume pedal. I hear the construction is top notch.
I might try to mod the pots as well to obtain the desired fade

philkop fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 26, 2014

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I'd like a rack unit compressor to put between my tuner and old SWR 350, and would like any suggestions on a make and/or model. Also, I've been having some volume issues and I'm starting to get some really unpleasant low-end distortion from driving my amp, currently its a mix between the gain of the tube preamp (which probably needs to be changed because its really dirty sounding and not at all pleasant) and a SansAmp VT Bass, although I doubt a compressor would alleviate this, is there anyone with suggestions on the matter, or should I already be considering an upgrade from my current head? (Cab is a 1980's era Carvin 2x15, haven't checked but I'm pretty sure both cones are in good shape)

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
DBX rack comps are reasonably cheap and probably sound fine for bass. As for the distortion, I find it really hard to get a purely clean sound from my VT bass. Not sure what it is—maybe because I always run it on batteries? In any case, I think there's a chance that some unwanted distortion could be coming from there.

In other news, Wampler is releasing a tubescreamer. Despite the fact that I've never really aspired to a TS-9/808 sound myself, I actually feel like with a Wampler three-band EQ attached I might enjoy it. Also, since there are so many TS kits available I'm wondering how hard it would be to adapt one to at least have the added EQ. The switch I'm not sure about, but I suspect it's covered by one of the common mods already.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Why is it not green?

has anyone tried the tera echo yet?

Oh and speaking of kits, what are some good starter ones?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

muike posted:

Oh and speaking of kits, what are some good starter ones?

From what little I've heard a fuzz-box can be pretty simple.
I just ordered two kits from here: (Sweet honey OD/Mosrite fuzz)

http://shop.pedalparts.co.uk

He has a difficulty-rating for each kit so maybe you can use that for something.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

muike posted:

Why is it not green?

:staredog:

When I first opened that page f.lux was on full blast so I thought it was teal. I guess it's blue because... Blues? Honestly the copy is confusing since I wasn't aware Tubescreamers had the slightest thing to do with "Delta" blues, and zillions of metal players use them as a boost anyway—an application where I'd think the additional EQ options would be especially useful.

As for kits, my understanding is that fuzzes are simple to construct but use temperamental parts that can take some work to get dialed in for any one person's preferences. Boosts are typically super easy, but some (germanium mostly?) are subject to the same problems. I'd also suggest something with a low parts count/a complete kit, since I own like four PCBs and have yet to be sufficiently motivated to order the actually order the things I'd need to populate any of them.

I have heavily modified a wah pedal though, which is pretty easy due to the roomy enclosure and fairly simple circuit. A lot of the crucial mods are just resistor swaps as well, which is about as cheap as it gets.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

gently caress your tubescreamers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUhQJ4pT9Kc

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Unironically want this pedal now thanks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh dear god...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i will seriously get one of those if i can get it for a reasonable price

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

When you can rock out with that pedal on, that's when you know you've arrived.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

It's cool, but I think I'll wait for the cheaper EHX version.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

what

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

So this was just announced

http://www.ehx.com/products/nano-looper-360

Where's that "Sweet Jesus" First Contact gif when I need it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Noise Machine posted:

So this was just announced

http://www.ehx.com/products/nano-looper-360

Where's that "Sweet Jesus" First Contact gif when I need it.
And since it's EHX, it'll probably be like half the price of the Ditto X2, huh?

That rules, but it is missing that second switch for FX that the Ditto has, and when I get around to buying a looper, that's a pretty nice feature that I want.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Does anyone make a simple looper with a midi clock in? I don't really need to spend $500 on a loop pedal, and laptops are out of the question

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

And since it's EHX, it'll probably be like half the price of the Ditto X2, huh?

That rules, but it is missing that second switch for FX that the Ditto has, and when I get around to buying a looper, that's a pretty nice feature that I want.

Either way, hopefully it will bring down the costs of all loopers.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Maybe the wrong thread but can someone explain what a mastering console is and what it does? Is it just like an EQ+compressor?

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
So I can't figure out a good way to use my volume pedal on my looper.

I have the Ernie ball volume/pan pedal which I'm loving but for this setup in just using it with one amp as a volume pedal.

Basically what I've tried thus far has been

Guitar
RadioShack Y cable
One side straight into amp
Other side into ditto looper
Out ditto into volume pedal
From the volume pedal it meets at the amp with a RadioShack 2 1/4 Jack into one adapter.

It's creating some kind of weird loop (not like ditto loop but feedback loop) and not working right.

I was under the impression that sound ran only one way, like a river, but it appears it is going every which way.

Bottom line I was trying to always hear guitar.. Be able to loop the guitar, and be able to fade in and out the loop while still hearing my guitar.

There's got to be something simple in missing. Maybe a stereo y adapter instead of mono would keep signals split

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Can you write out a little chart for the signal path?

If you put the looper and volume pedal in the effects loop of your amp (if it has one) that would be a really simple way to get what you're after.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Noise Machine posted:

Can you write out a little chart for the signal path?

If you put the looper and volume pedal in the effects loop of your amp (if it has one) that would be a really simple way to get what you're after.

Both the Y splitter and the 2 into one adapter seem to let the signal flow through all different ways.
For example, using the Y splitter or the 2 into one adapter to run two guitars at once creates a weird effect where the tone and volume of one guitar effects the other guitar.

I think the problem has to do with this and its looking like I may need to build a cheap AB box or something.

My volume pedal is also a panner pedal. It has an two inputs and two outputs and pans between the two. (This is not shown in the picture but listed below is a much cleaner method that I also have not been able to utilize.)

I have tried the guitar cable with a y split running into into A, and into the loop pedal. The out of the looper then goes to input B. I then use the 2 into one adaptor and connect both outputs to the amp at the same time. This feels like it should work but doesn't produce good results. There is a significant difference in volume of each input and I suspect it has to do with the cables but I can't really figure out why.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Has anyone tried Dr J pedals? Local shop got some in and there's hardly any info online about them.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
I want to make lots of nice shoegazey/noisy sounds with my guitar but I don't have the space for an amplifier or even pedalboard, so I need everything in one. I want a lot of flexibility with effects - low gain distortion sounds, a lot of delay options and a lot of reverb options. Most important is the ability to chain them as I wish and stack them.

Is my money better spent on a Line6 Pod whatever or an audio interface with Guitar Rig 5?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hey guys, it's my first time in this thread and I'm kind of a novice when it comes to pedals so please be gentle.

My rig is a Gibson Melody Maker (1 single coil pickup) through a Peavey Classic 50 4x10. I've had a DS-1 for a while that I've been generally happy with, but it can get a bit muddy and I was thinking of switching to an overdrive - ideally something that can get just as loud and dirty but maintain the note definitions a little bit more.

The options I'm looking at are:

MXR Classic Overdrive ($40 on Craigslist)
Boss SD-1 ($40 from local music shop)

How do people feel about these pedals? Good buys at that price? Should I save up more and get something like a Tube Screamer or Wasabi Overdrive (for $90, the guy with the MXR also has an OCD fulltone; I don't wanna spend that much but if someone here has wildly positive things to say about it maybe I could be convinced)? Should I just stick with my DS-1 and play around with the settings more?

Subquestion: should I run this through my clean channel or lead channel?

Style of music is punk/hardcore/post-hardcore/indie. Thanks in advance.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
OCD is by far the best of those. Haven't heard the mxr but their stuff is usually solid. If you don't like the DS1 I wouldn't advise the SD1.

Honestly id get the OCD sure it's probably about twice the price but in a month you won't feel the extra money hit and you will have a very solid pedal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

philkop posted:

Both the Y splitter and the 2 into one adapter seem to let the signal flow through all different ways.
For example, using the Y splitter or the 2 into one adapter to run two guitars at once creates a weird effect where the tone and volume of one guitar effects the other guitar.

I think the problem has to do with this and its looking like I may need to build a cheap AB box or something.

My volume pedal is also a panner pedal. It has an two inputs and two outputs and pans between the two. (This is not shown in the picture but listed below is a much cleaner method that I also have not been able to utilize.)

I have tried the guitar cable with a y split running into into A, and into the loop pedal. The out of the looper then goes to input B. I then use the 2 into one adaptor and connect both outputs to the amp at the same time. This feels like it should work but doesn't produce good results. There is a significant difference in volume of each input and I suspect it has to do with the cables but I can't really figure out why.

Yeah, my guess is that somewhere along the line something is not summing correctly. If your amp doesn't have an effects loop than an ABY box is probably your best bet.