Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bugsy posted:

New right?

Aproxiamte translation:

Win out of nowhere on a card and can be used as a combat trick too? Not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

sarmhan posted:

Well that'll end a game effectively if you have prowess creatures out.

That's going to end the game if the other person doesn't have answers, period. Backbreaker in limited, not so great in constructed unless we can guarantee a certain number of creatures.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Ramos posted:

I think I'll just listen to "Everyone was all kung fu fighting" whenever I play Jeskai.

"Everybody was kung fu fighting" :colbert:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bugsy posted:

New right?

Aproxiamte translation:

"Why overrun when you can overjump?" - Sun Tzu

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Worldbuilding panel is up on the Magic Youtube account. As is one of the videos of the fetchland announcements. You're all embarrassments to humanity.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I am just so taken with the Jeskai style. UWR is not a color combination that's ever held any appeal to me, and I've never been much of a Wuxia fan in the past, but everything about the art is just making me absolutely love it. That Prowess is going to play well with Heroic is just a bonus, since I've been trying to make Heroic work in standard for ages.

It's honestly probably just that they all look like the walked out of the Southern Air Temple and I'm a huge Avatar fan.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Team Jeskai for sure.

Ramos posted:

That's going to end the game if the other person doesn't have answers, period. Backbreaker in limited, not so great in constructed unless we can guarantee a certain number of creatures.

Its not going to be great in constructed because combat tricks rarely are, especially not 6 mana, 3 color ones. But it totally owns in terms of fucken flying shaolin monks everywhere.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 3, 2014

apistat
Nov 4, 2004

Meet you on the roof?

Kurtofan posted:

Other pieces of artwork from the article:

Telescope Dog is this set's Fblthp.

E:

apistat fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 3, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Rogue 7 posted:

I am just so taken with the Jeskai style. UWR is not a color combination that's ever held any appeal to me, and I've never been much of a Wuxia fan in the past, but everything about the art is just making me absolutely love it. That Prowess is going to play well with Heroic is just a bonus, since I've been trying to make Heroic work in standard for ages.

It's honestly probably just that they all look like the walked out of the Southern Air Temple and I'm a huge Avatar fan.

Jeskai looks to be, much like the Air Nomads, to be based on Tibetan culture, with a nice toss in of Zen Buddhism. It's really not surprising that you ended up liking both, they're based on similar ideas and origins.

That and Wuxia is the best thing ever from old movies. You haven't seen a good Kung Fu movie until you see someone fighting twenty other people while balancing on four stacked chairs... that are balancing off of each other with one leg each.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I was thinking of going Mardu at the pre release but I might have to switch it up. Flying crane technique is bonkers.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bugsy posted:

New right?

Aproxiamte translation:

Sweet mother of gently caress, flying + doublestrike after playing a couple of Prowess creatures will shut the door on a game real fast.

Digging the Jeskai art style too.

Ramos posted:

I think I'll just listen to "Everyone was all kung fu fighting" whenever I play Jeskai.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Even though it's probably not feasible the idea of Narset attacking and then revealing a bunch of techniques to fire off is really awesome conceptually.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
The one thing that slightly upsets me about this plane is that they're sticking in a lot of cultural influences that could easily hold their own plane (a fixed Arabic one, an indian themed setting). I know Kamigawa didn't do well and that's probably made them wary about anything too foreign to the western audience, but I hope we don't go back to "stuff that's been in D&D" and Steampunk.

Also this is still the best, most evocative piece of art they've released.

EDIT: ^^ OMG

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Worldbuilding panel is up on the Magic Youtube account. As is one of the videos of the fetchland announcements. You're all embarrassments to humanity.

The fetchland video is so cringeworthy. I'm all for nerdgasms, but dude, its a land that says "search your library for a swamp or a mountain." I'm going to go home and show this video to my wife and see what she says.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

:allears::love:

I'm going to need to get to prerelease early at this rate if I want to get a Jeskai box.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

apistat posted:

Telescope Dog is this set's Fblthp.

E:

He reminds me of Mr Peanutbutter from Bojack Horseman.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

tony hawks pro skater

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Angry Grimace posted:

The fetchland video is so cringeworthy. I'm all for nerdgasms, but dude, its a land that says "search your library for a swamp or a mountain." I'm going to go home and show this video to my wife and see what she says.

Get the gently caress out.

It was a party, at the end of the night, supplied with tons of free drinks and frivolity. People are allowed to be excited.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Angry Grimace posted:

Very interested to see what she says.

Khans is really cool and I'm excited by the set. It will be really interesting to see what becomes the chase rares. I honestly have no idea right now. So many of the rares are three colored and so many decks in standard right now are not in those three colors. Devotion is so different as well. It's a cool time to be playing magic

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Angry Grimace posted:

"Wife"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

En Fuego posted:

Get the gently caress out.

It was a party, at the end of the night, supplied with tons of free drinks and frivolity. People are allowed to be excited.

Dude, some of those people are like on the verge of tears. For a reprint!

uggy posted:

Very interested to see what she says.

Khans is really cool and I'm excited by the set. It will be really interesting to see what becomes the chase rares. I honestly have no idea right now. So many of the rares are three colored and so many decks in standard right now are not in those three colors. Devotion is so different as well. It's a cool time to be playing magic

So far I'm completely baffled what Standard is going to look like post rotation, mostly because a Wedge block and Theros block seem like really odd bedfellows.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 3, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Angry Grimace posted:

Being inebriated makes you have less control on your emotions. Of course they're not going be stoic and clap when seeing the fetches being reprinted.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

People have done way more embarrassing things while drunk at a party.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Remember, no being happy about your nerd hobby, NERDS.

(Seriously, this is nothing. Have you seen how people react to sports?)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

sarmhan posted:

People have done way more embarrassing things while drunk at a party.

Those would probably be embarrassing on video too. I'm not trying to be all "no fun allowed," I'm just saying, its a land, guys.

neetengie posted:

Being inebriated makes you have less control on your emotions. Of course they're not going be stoic and clap when seeing the fetches being reprinted.

Wait, why are we assuming everyone at this event was drunk?

Ramos posted:

Remember, no being happy about your nerd hobby, NERDS.

(Seriously, this is nothing. Have you seen how people react to sports?)

That's different because sports are important and most importantly, not nerdy.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 3, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Angry Grimace posted:

So far I'm completely baffled what Standard is going to look like post rotation, mostly because a Wedge block and Theros block seem like really odd bedfellows.

Wedge set, not wedge block.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Everyone was drunk because there were free drinks and it was a party.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

:rolleye:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'll just be sad if it turns out the best deck post rotation is RDW or something and runs none of this awesome wedge cards.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I wish I was into things that are important enough to occasionally cause people to light buildings on fire and raise crime rate during international games. :(

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
The white morph cycle bird seems a bit odd, at 3cmc there's no reason not to play it face down and flip it at once if you don't mind revealing a white card. Is 3 mana with no colour reasonable for a 2/2 in limited? Is it worth taking a morph card regardless of if you can cast it face up or flip it?

Really cool cycle, the black one would be good without the trigger, green and red get potentially very useful triggers that will probably win the odd game. I also look forward to all the people who need to be told that a mountain is not red.

Edit: Say Ghostfire were reprinted, does the text "Ghostfire is colorless" apply when it's a card, or only when it's a spell? Could you reveal it as a red card?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 3, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Wait, why are we assuming everyone at this event was drunk?
It was the PAX Magic Party, where they supply a ton of free alcohol and the fetchlands were shown at the conclusion of the party, after everyone had had plenty of time to get sloshed.

quote:

This is adorable.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

The white morph cycle bird seems a bit odd, at 3cmc there's no reason not to play it face down and flip it at once if you don't mind revealing a white card. Is 3 mana with no colour reasonable for a 2/2 in limited? Is it worth taking a morph card regardless of if you can cast it face up or flip it?

Really cool cycle, the black one would be good without the trigger, green and red get potentially very useful triggers that will probably win the odd game. I also look forward to all the people who need to be told that a mountain is not red.

Don't take Morphs that you can't turn face up.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

It was the PAX Magic Party, where they supply a ton of free alcohol and the fetchlands were shown at the conclusion of the party, after everyone had had plenty of time to get sloshed.

This is adorable.

I'm honestly wondering if some of you guys would know a joke if Richard Pryor rose from his grave, knocked on your front door and delivered it personally.

BizarroAzrael posted:

3 CMC 2/2 is usually fringe-playable in limited. (Particularly with no color requirements at all and a useful morph.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I love how salty people get about people taking them seriously on the internet in pure text with no body language or indications that they're not being serious.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Entropic posted:

I'll just be sad if it turns out the best deck post rotation is RDW or something and runs none of this awesome wedge cards.

I feel like Abzan will probably be nuts post-rotation because it can play a lot of the good stuff from Theros block (Courser, Caryatid, Thoughtseize, removal, Elspeth, possibly Brimaz) plus whatever goodies that Khans brings it.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm honestly wondering if some of you guys would know a joke if Richard Pryor rose from his grave, knocked on your front door and delivered it personally.
I can tell you that the people here who didn't get that you were joking probably know a few people who genuinely believe what you said. Kinda like how growing up around creationists makes people pretending to be crazy-religious hard to spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Angry Grimace posted:

It has the additional rules text "Target player who is a student working at Quinzos can now play Modern."

• Locked thread