Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

Everytime someone mentions the Zephyr I go all weak in the knees with desire for this:

That blueing of the pipes. Almost scientific, a thermodynamic map of a muscle hoon. So beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Preoptopus, under that layer of dust is the 83 KZ750 L3, which was a one-year bike in the US, and very rare (not necessarily valuable, but to the right boomer in the right frame of mind...)

Most descriptions mention that this had an 82 GPz engine in it, with some performance internals not found in the rest of the line. I need friends who settle debts like this.

HCK/Ola: another rarity worthy of your eloquence and swooning. Or was it the other way around?

http://kz.bike-night.com/

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 4, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Okay, now that I'm basically done with the maintenance for quite awhile (the Buell really has 0 maintenance) I figured I'd have some fun with it. Maybe I'll repaint it. Anyone have any advice for painting a bike with plastic fairings?

Obviously remove them and do it away from dirt/grime but are there any particularly decent paints I should look at?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Always use primer. You can get plastic primer like they use on car bumpers AFAIK.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Use automotive paint and an automotive paint gun (harbor freight has a good HVLP one for ~$50). Make sure to use a primer and sand in between coats. Do a ton of coats, too. Use a respirator.

Alternatively rattlecan it, but it will look like poo poo.

Alternatively alternatively, plastidip it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

SquadronROE posted:

Okay, now that I'm basically done with the maintenance for quite awhile (the Buell really has 0 maintenance) I figured I'd have some fun with it. Maybe I'll repaint it. Anyone have any advice for painting a bike with plastic fairings?

Obviously remove them and do it away from dirt/grime but are there any particularly decent paints I should look at?

Repainting almost always lowers the value of the bike. I wouldn't recomend it. Unless the thing is trashed as is. Otherwise.. find some trashed body parts, and repaint those. :-)

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

SquadronROE posted:

Did you end up getting a Blast or something?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

High Protein posted:

Did you end up getting a Blast or something?

Oh god.

Here's the guide that I sort-of roughly used

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_repaint.htm

I originally got it from here.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SquadronROE posted:

Vinyl wrap digital camo. Google glass. An air of "hack the world" about you.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Also regarding the paint stuff I'd definitely go with plastidip. Also you could add rim striping.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Repainting almost always lowers the value of the bike. I wouldn't recomend it. Unless the thing is trashed as is. Otherwise.. find some trashed body parts, and repaint those. :-)

That's a fair point. The fairings are a bit scratched so I was figuring all it would really need is to be repainted and have new decals applied, but that might be best done by a professional anyway. Anything I do would end up looking like an amateur did it.

:smuggo:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait did you legitimately get a buell blast?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Yeah, I weighed all the other options around me and thought a lot about what I actually wanted (after getting all the advice you guys gave me, I realized I just needed to make a decision). Went and sat on a bunch of things, inspected a bunch of bikes, and the Blast is pretty much exactly what I need. Easy to maintain, great on the local roads I hit, enough power for short trips on the interstate (which is all I really do even in my car), and honestly I don't mind the way it looks. I've gotten a few compliments on it, probably just because it's uncommon.

I'm still curious about other bikes, but I doubt I'll be trading this one in for awhile. I'm actually riding it pretty much daily, the only thing I wish it had was a gas gauge because I keep going out way longer than I anticipate (and almost running out of gas).

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Having no reserve (or similar indicator) is annoying yes, all you can do is monitor your mileage using the trip meter whenever you fill up a couple of times and use that to calculate a conservative estimate on how far a full tank will get you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The Blast doesn't have a reserve? Every motorcycle has a reserve. It's got to have one.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The Blast doesn't have a reserve? Every motorcycle has a reserve. It's got to have one.
My SRX600 only had off/pri/on.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

It's got a reserve, that's what I meant by "almost" running out of gas. I'll hit the reserve and get it to a gas station. I just keep forgetting to reset the trip and figure out what the current MPG is like. It's supposed to be somewhere around 62.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Wait I'm remebering wrong, I think it didn't have an 'off' setting and I always kept it on reserve because I was afraid I'd be unable to fiddle with the petcock to get it on reserve while riding.
Anyway what the Blast doesn't have is a rev counter, that would be annoying to me.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I thought that would be more annoying than it actually is. I just know when I should shift by the sound, and it's got a very wide power band as it is. Even if I shift a bit early or late, I've still got power to use.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

Use automotive paint and an automotive paint gun (harbor freight has a good HVLP one for ~$50). Make sure to use a primer and sand in between coats. Do a ton of coats, too. Use a respirator.

Alternatively rattlecan it, but it will look like poo poo.

Alternatively alternatively, plastidip it.

You can get rattle can looking pretty decent.

You have to do some prep and finish work though. When I did my plastics ("tank" and codpiece) I used Rustoleum rattle can, like 6 color coats and somewhere around 4 clear coats. Nice thing about acrylic enamel rattle can is no need to sand between coats. Just pile it on, let it cure, cut it down with a soapy wet sand (I used 800 and then 1500 grit), and polish it with some Mother's or Meguiars swirl remover.

Pre-sand:

I've beat it up a lot with my tank bag, highway bug strikes, and dropping it in gravel in the 20k miles since then, but it holds up. Takes a wash and a wax to shine it up.

Next time I do it I'll get a little bolder with the paint; the auto body supply place will mix up a rattle can of whatever, so I'll try out a metallic and a clearcoat hardener I think.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

SquadronROE posted:

Yeah, I weighed all the other options around me and thought a lot about what I actually wanted (after getting all the advice you guys gave me, I realized I just needed to make a decision). Went and sat on a bunch of things, inspected a bunch of bikes, and the Blast is pretty much exactly what I need. Easy to maintain, great on the local roads I hit, enough power for short trips on the interstate (which is all I really do even in my car), and honestly I don't mind the way it looks. I've gotten a few compliments on it, probably just because it's uncommon.

I'm still curious about other bikes, but I doubt I'll be trading this one in for awhile. I'm actually riding it pretty much daily, the only thing I wish it had was a gas gauge because I keep going out way longer than I anticipate (and almost running out of gas).

You're a braver soul than I. I only hope you didn't pay much for it. You should read "much" as "anything".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I say well done SquadronROE. The Blast is much maligned in here, ride it, have some fun and tell us so the hivemind gets some anti-hivemind empiricism. It'll do it no end of good.

Then go ride something well engineered.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Ola posted:

I say well done SquadronROE. The Blast is much maligned in here, ride it, have some fun and tell us so the hivemind gets some anti-hivemind empiricism. It'll do it no end of good.

Then go ride something well engineered.

I already have it in my will to post an ode to Buell in this very subforum if I die due to Blast-related mishap..

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I'm trying to find some redeeming qualities for the Buell Blast.

So far I've got

1. Gas mileage
2-infinity. ???

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
3. No routine maintenance except oil changes.

I didn't have a tach until I got my Buell... the Vulcan and the Vstar both telegraphed their shift points by how they felt and where the spark cut out. I don't really pay attention to the tach I have, either.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Pretend that your Blast is just a weird looking supermoto and you'll have way more fun with it.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

What does everyone think of "smart" helmets. Unusable gimmick or is something there? Ugliness aside.
http://www.skullysystems.com/#home

Nerobro posted:

You just mentioned 41, I am assuming youre in chicagoland. 16 horsepower is not enough for Chicago. I-94 can't be ridden safely without a bike capable of at least 100mph. Not that you'll go that fast, but you need excess power available to provide escape routes, and that means having some horsepower on tap when you're already doing 70mph.
Nah, southwest florida.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 3, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

rizuhbull posted:

What does everyone think of "smart" helmets. Unusable gimmick or is something there? Ugly helmet aside.

I'll reserve judgement until they are real things, and not just a kickstarter. But $1400 is a lot of dollars. You can buy a motorcycle for that.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Does it always and only play dubstep or possibly Daft Punk?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

No, it plays the sound of paper rustling to simulate all the dollars you just shelled out for some dudes on the internet to carve out space inside a Vemar-quality knockoff for a pair of premade Google Glasses to fit inside. They also may play the sound of glue drying to simulate the attachment of that disgustingly stupid speed hump they slapped on there.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Marv Hushman posted:

HCK/Ola: another rarity worthy of your eloquence and swooning. Or was it the other way around?

I like that Zephyr because its one of the rare examples of how to do a custom bike right. No lovely looking solo seat, no crappy clubman bars, etc, just quality, good looking, better than stock parts with some thought put into making them all all work together cohesively on the bike.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I'm trying to find some redeeming qualities for the Buell Blast.

So far I've got

1. Gas mileage
2-infinity. ???

Goes longer than any other Buell between throttle syncs

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've never had to sync the single throttle body on the Ulysses and I'd have no idea how to go about that if I wanted to try.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

rizuhbull posted:

What does everyone think of "smart" helmets. Unusable gimmick or is something there? Ugliness aside.
Nah, southwest florida.

100% depends on implementation. Could be amazingly good, like the Sena 20S, or could be total poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sweet jesus.

Clutchpuck, you're excused. I have something better than your bike to make fun of now.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I think you and I are about in parity with how much we make fun of my Buell. I just use more subtlety and class.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

I've never had to sync the single throttle body on the Ulysses and I'd have no idea how to go about that if I wanted to try.

You joke but you know drat loving well there are people that have turned up to shops or on forums or something that have asked how to sync the carb on their thumper. I know they exist.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

I'll reserve judgement until they are real things, and not just a kickstarter. But $1400 is a lot of dollars. You can buy a motorcycle for that.

As far as I know it's finally happening with Skullys, the first run testers have started getting helmets I saw on another site.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
Yeah the 1400 dollars gets you the helmet. They've already got the thing made they just have to produce them. They did a couple free ones for their alpha test but the 1400 guarantees you get in. Still way too much for a cool gimmick though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Baller Witness Bro posted:

You joke but you know drat loving well there are people that have turned up to shops or on forums or something that have asked how to sync the carb on their thumper. I know they exist.

I guess, but on the flip side just about all the people I've discussed it with have no idea a four needs to be synced.