Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Herr Tog posted:

I started listening to Steve Austin's podcast. Morale has improved.

Listen to the Daniels interview because in the first part Jim Ross calls Steve stepping in a fresh dog poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQQyb_lncsQ

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave's reaction to the Meltzer Driver is great.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The new 10 Count which will be up at some point Tuesday has 23 minutes of discussion on Paragon Wrestling. This is by far the best 23 minutes of 10 Count in ages.

As a contributor, I'm seconding this.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rex Before E Episode 6: Let He Who Ith Without Thin Catht The Firtht Thtone
On our 6th episode, we go over Over The Limit 2011, Judgement Day 2003, and some Twitter questions.

I Before E
Rex

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

MassRafTer posted:

The new 10 Count

Oh, you mean this Ten Count?

Aside from what was already teased, I have no idea what was discussed on this show. Enjoy!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love poo poo like this in the observer

quote:

Which led to, the battle of the bite. Bowser booked Lewis with 1924 Olympic gold medalist Henri DeGlane just three weeks later, on May 4 in Montreal. Lewis went into the ring told by Bowser it was simply business as usual, thinking he was going to retain his title. In those days, world title matches were generally two of three falls and the wrestlers would go back to the dressing room between falls for lengthy rest periods. After working two falls, DeGlane bit himself in the arm hard, until he drew blood. They cleaned the blood up and got in the ring and locked up, DeGlane squeezed the cut, started screaming, probably similar to what Holyfield did, the ref saw the teeth marks and blood all over DeGlane, and disqualified Lewis and gave DeGlane, who was the local wrestling hero at the time, the world heavyweight title. That wasn't the end of the story. When Lewis went back to the dressing room to confront Bowser about the double-cross, Bowser had several bodyguards armed with baseball bats.

The historical significance is that due to this match, and several others over the next few years, it became policy in both American and Canadian pro wrestling for championships not to change hands on a disqualification. In Mexico, Japan and the rest of the world, without a situation like this in their history, titles have always changed hands via DQ (except in the case of an American championship being defended in Japan in which case the fans understand American title match rules are used). Screw-job finishes were around long before 1931, but this gave bookers for the next seven decades the easiest title match finish of all, the champion gets dq'd so the challenger doesn't have to do a job. At one point this became a convenient way to set up logical rematches and create longer title programs, but by the 80s, it was simply an easy out for bookers to put together finishes without having to get anyone to do a job and everyone could leave happy. Well, except for the fans. Overuse of these finishes killed several lucrative wrestling markets in the Southeast temporarily in the late 80s.

Tl;dr, the reason the title doesn't change hands on a DQ is an old timey wrestler bit himself in the arm to get the other guy disqualified and won the title in a double cross. gently caress I love old timey pro graps

edit:

quote:

As the Raw turns on 6/30 in Des Moines, IA drew 3,781 paying $69,180. The show was built around the Paul Bearer secret and the Undertaker's response. Most people I've talked with hated the segments but both interviews did spike the ratings. That doesn't mean people liked it, as people tuned in not because they knew ahead of time they were going to like the segment, but it does show that at least for the week people were intrigued. Bearer claimed that he was an apprentice funeral director for Undertaker's father 20 years ago and that one day Undertaker and his brother Cain were playing with chemicals and smoking cigarettes behind the house and that he left for college and when he came back, the entire funeral home burned to the ground and Undertaker's parents were both killed and called Undertaker a murderer several times. Undertaker claimed that his father caught him with the chemicals and he got in trouble but he left to do chores and when he came home, he saw the house burning down and said it was his brother who did it but he blamed himself because he was the older brother. He claimed in the middle of the night Bearer took him to see the charred remains of his parents before the funeral. Then as Vader and Rockabilly were in the ring, Undertaker attacked Vader and then Bearer called him a murderer again. He threatened to kill Bearer unless he told the truth and Bearer insisted it was the truth because Cain had told him and then said that Cain was still alive, so I guess now they have to introduce an Undertaker's brother gimmick.

Yeah undertakers brother, like that'll work :rolleyes:.

I thought the reveal of Kane was really awesome when it happened. :3:

quote:

Rocky Maivia is expected back from his knee injury in early August.

Rock out with the knee injury? Hmmm hope they think of something to do with him when he gets back.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 3, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

I love poo poo like this in the observer

Tl;dr, the reason the title doesn't change hands on a DQ is an old timey wrestler bit himself in the arm to get the other guy disqualified and won the title in a double cross. gently caress I love old timey pro graps

edit:

Yeah undertakers brother, like that'll work :rolleyes:.

I thought the reveal of Kane was really awesome when it happened. :3:

I bet Dave was kicking himself a few months later thinking "I COULD HAVE WAITED AND CALLED IT THE ORIGINAL MONTREAL SCREWJOB!" That story has a lot of controversy regarding it. Half of the historians believe what Dave wrote, the other half that it was a planned angle to get the belt off Lewis with a disputed finish.

Edit: It's also important to note the belt only went onto Sonnenberg originally when Lewis was promised he'd be the one to win it back, which is part of what led to the LA doublecross.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 3, 2014

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The new B&V&C contains an old school Impact review of this week's Raw.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I never thought there could be a bigger jumble of words just vomited forth like a Francis E. Dec rant but then I heard the rules to Paragon Wrestling.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The Jericho/HHH episode is up now. It's pretty good so far. As long as they just shoot the poo poo and don't start trying to work anyone it'll be a good episode.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DrVenkman posted:

The Jericho/HHH episode is up now. It's pretty good so far. As long as they just shoot the poo poo and don't start trying to work anyone it'll be a good episode.

I really hope they don't work themselves into a shoot like a couple of jabronie marks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stardust and Xavier Woods are on the Wrestling Compadres Slamcast. Stardust is in character throughout, while Xavier is pretty much just shooting. (It's kind of a dumb podcast overall, though, and I'm thinking of unsubscribing.)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

The new B&V&C contains an old school Impact review of this week's Raw.

It figures Impact would ruin wrestling for Craig's son.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Seventeen minutes into the ten count... wow.

Edit:

Okay, does this guy have PDFs of the Paragon Wrestling rule books? This sounds like Fantasy Football for wrestling marks. Honestly might make a fun tabletop experience for fans.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 3, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The latest Bryan and Vinny show also contains a review of Nitro #1. They also said that The Man Called Sting was bad, but that Steinerized was the worst WCW theme song! I won't stand for these lies.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 3, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

The latest Brian and Vinny show also contains a review of Nitro #1. They also said that Steinerized was the worst WCW theme song. I won't stand for these lies.

I think they all confused the Nitro and Superbrawl Pillman/Liger matches when they kept talking about its legendary reputation.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

The latest Bryan and Vinny show also contains a review of Nitro #1. They also said that The Man Called Sting was bad, but that Steinerized was the worst WCW theme song! I won't stand for these lies.

I by Nitro #1 you mean Nitro 79.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
anyone listening to The Lapsed Fan's WrestleMania reviews? I'm into the idea but was a little put off by a) the host's appearance on F4W, mad boring dude b) it's length- 4hours. longer than the show itself! anyway, an hour in, it's kinda engaging. anyone else bothering?

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
From the latest Observer:

"Angela Fong (a very athletic Oriental woman..."

Is Mike Tenay writing the Observer now?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm listening to yesterday's review of raw with Dave and Bryan. I don't think I've heard Dave go off on WWE like this in awhile.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

I'm listening to yesterday's review of raw with Dave and Bryan. I don't think I've heard Dave go off on WWE like this in awhile.

I joked about it in the WWE thread, but I don't necessarily agree with him about the height thing with AJ, because Steph as the towering, jacked up heel kind of works, if AJ's being positioned as the plucky underdog, but she should absolutely have 'accidentally' dropped the belt to make Stephanie bend down to pick it and let AJ look down at her.

Dave tends to get especially mad when WWE does stuff that actually hurts what they're TRYING to do. poo poo like setting Ryder or Ziggler up to fail, he grumbles, but he knows they're messing with these guys deliberately. Booking a segment where you're asking for Reigns to get booed because Rollins is the hometown guy is just monumentally counter-productive and they WANT Reigns to get cheered and get over as a top face, so it's much less excusable to him.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

mariooncrack posted:

This week's Raw really showed their lack of understanding and the cracks in their booking. They put Roman Reigns, the most protected guy in the company, in a position to not only get booed, but get "Let's go Cena" chanted during his match.

Sometimes they can't even protect the guys they want to.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Daniel Bryan posted:

This week's Raw really showed their lack of understanding and the cracks in their booking. They put Roman Reigns, the most protected guy in the company, in a position to not only get booed, but get "Let's go Cena" chanted during his match.

Sometimes they can't even protect the guys they want to.

Per the Obsever, most people there think Reigns right now is "like a home town guy before any crowd." Probably only a matter of time before the crowd rebels and begins chanting for Ambrose or Bryan during his matches/segments.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Per the Obsever, most people there think Reigns right now is "like a home town guy before any crowd." Probably only a matter of time before the crowd rebels and begins chanting for Ambrose or Bryan during his matches/segments.

Bryan's the more likely option, since Ambrose is becoming super-over just by himself, and Ambrose can carry a long match which Roman still needs to prove he can do.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

njsykora posted:

Bryan's the more likely option, since Ambrose is becoming super-over just by himself, and Ambrose can carry a long match which Roman still needs to prove he can do.

He doesn't need to prove that. If WM 31 is his big day he's more developed (in less time) than Cena was in the ring in the Fall of 04.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

MassRafTer posted:

He doesn't need to prove that. If WM 31 is his big day he's more developed (in less time) than Cena was in the ring in the Fall of 04.

Cena was that bad in 04?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

cena was pretty bad in 2004, the reason he was on Smackdown for so long is because they had to edit his matches a lot

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Cardboard Box posted:

cena was pretty god awful in 2004, the reason he was on Smackdown for so long is because they had to edit his matches a lot

So basically saying that Reigns is better than 04 Cena doesn't really mean much here?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

So basically saying that Reigns is better than 04 Cena doesn't really mean much here?

It's saying that Reigns is ahead of Cena when they were at the same point in their careers, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he can handle the main event spot. In ten years, we will see nothing but a sea of "Assess. Attack. Respect." shirts.

(MRT, feel free to correct me if I misinterpreted what you meant)

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Was Cena always planned to be "the next big thing"?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The story that's often told is he was about to be fired until he started rapping.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

The story that's often told is he was about to be fired until he started rapping.

But only because he flopped as the hungry up and comer they had big plans and no ideas for

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The story is also told that Orton was to be the next big thing up until his botched WHC run. He was supposed to get the HHH feud into Mania 21 but Batista got the spot instead.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

HulkaMatt posted:

Paul Heyman, Patt Patterson and Jim Barnett (who had a charity job as a script consultant) all advocated to keep him. But yeah it was choppy waters for Cena.

rovert fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 4, 2014

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jubs posted:

From the latest Observer:

"Angela Fong (a very athletic Oriental woman..."

Is Mike Tenay writing the Observer now?

Maybe she's from Iran?

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

coconono posted:

Maybe she's from Iran?

Wouldn't she be considered Persian in that case?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I loved Dave's concern for people buying network shirts and looking like nerds in public. Don't be nerds! Get a leather jacket instead.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BlueArmyMan posted:

Wouldn't she be considered Persian in that case?

gently caress if I know. All I know is if you call a Korean oriental, they'll kick the poo poo out of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Steve Austin: It was the scariest horror movie I had ever seen... and it was my face!

As always, I can pretty much listen to Austin talk about anything :allears:

• Locked thread