Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Arghy posted:

Are you ready for 1 hour of QRY bitching about not out numbering their foes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2knOP3RlIZY how dare someone use their tactics against them! Trees your good enough to use A2A missiles and win against these spergs why aren't you killing Rguitar over and over again with A2A missiles?

This is beautiful. I thought I was spent for today, but then one of them, voice thick with shame and ire, proclaimed he was going to be cheesy and pull a skyguard. I wonder how that went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The real atrocity here is that they're blowing up a tech plant. NC blew up a bio lab, thus are the real heroes
If we can't have Prowlers, nobody can.

"But we're the only ones with Prowlers, sir."

You know what I meant, soldier. :commissar:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pand posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eiAC1Ot7AY

A2A are too strong, not that a lot of people in this thread would agree or even care about it. :v:

A2A missiles are too strong because most people just refuse to use them, making them really loving good against, well, everyone :getin:

Also that video seems kind of weird given that the Reaver fires 1 volley of coyotes over 20 seconds, when he should have been able to get off at least 3 :confused:

E: Yeah he fires off a single volley and uses his nosegun the rest of the time. That's not really a 'coyotes vs' video as much as it is 'Tomcat missiles OP vs people who are bad with the nose gun'

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 4, 2014

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Fart Car '97 posted:

A2A missiles are too strong because most people just refuse to use them, making them really loving good against, well, everyone :getin:

Also that video seems kind of weird given that the Reaver fires 1 volley of coyotes over 20 seconds, when he should have been able to get off at least 3 :confused:

E: Yeah he fires off a single volley and uses his nosegun the rest of the time. That's not really a 'coyotes vs' video as much as it is 'Tomcat missiles OP vs people who are bad with the nose gun'

Or you can run stealth + flares and laugh while he wastes 10 seconds trying to get a lock on you. Sony gave people the tools to defeat A2A handily, but they're too in love with auto repair + extinguisher to use em.

Also that video does seem super staged, the coyote user should have tried to hug the A2A missile guy. One small reverse thrust in close hoverfights and you break A2A lock, whereas coyotes at that range really can't miss.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
A2As really suck when you're trying to 1v1 someone competent for just that reason, the lock is super easy to break in a traditional honorabu hoverfight.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

So which is better, Tomcats or Coyotes?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Today I learned that the best air outfit in the game is incredibly dysfunctional.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Tomcats. Coyotes are basically fighting with aim assist, tomcats let you completely gently caress with the skygod meta of reverse maneuver hoverdueling, since that's the exact OPPOSITE of what you want to do when there's tomcats around.

Also yeah, QRY is full of shitlords. There's at least two people in that outfit that used to TK me on sight for stealing all of their kills with tomcats and/or making fun of their flying after an entirely coincidental collision spree.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Erata posted:

Today I learned that the best air outfit in the game is incredibly dysfunctional.

What took you so long?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

alarumklok posted:

Tomcats. Coyotes are basically fighting with aim assist, tomcats let you completely gently caress with the skygod meta of reverse maneuver hoverdueling, since that's the exact OPPOSITE of what you want to do when there's tomcats around.

Also yeah, QRY is full of shitlords. There's at least two people in that outfit that used to TK me on sight for stealing all of their kills with tomcats and/or making fun of their flying after an entirely coincidental collision spree.

See, I'd say Coyotes. My final 200 ESF kill ribbons for the Scythe Lumifiber were Stealth/Flares/Coyotes and it's just a HILARIOUS amount of damage.

I tended to use them to break up hoverduels I'm already in, since people really can't stick around in a point blank hoverfest when I'm putting auto-hit rockets into them every few seconds. If you're looking to really screw people in hoverduels with someone else, A2A all the way.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Keeshhound posted:

What took you so long?

The air game is incredibly alien to me, and I rarely ever check out PS2 streams. The majority of my experience against air is getting zapped on foot by TR Banshees.
It's interesting, to me anyway, to think about how they got to where they are behaving so angrily for all their time. They had to have been playing largely unopposed or something until an actual group burst their bubble.
Anyway, I'm doing my part with double walker sundies and the odd tomcat ESF.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Erata posted:

It's interesting, to me anyway, to think about how they got to where they are behaving so angrily for all their time. They had to have been playing largely unopposed or something until an actual group burst their bubble.

This is pretty much it; yes, you can get into the air game if you really want to, but it's unintuitive as hell, and skygods jumping on people and obliterating them in "1v1" fights (which are almost universally just "I caught you off guard and dumped a rotary magazine into your rear end before you could react. Get good, scrub.") didn't do much to make players who weren't committed to it interested in sticking with it, so the few who did ended up locking themselves in the skybox with nothing but each other for company for the last two years.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

This is pretty much it; yes, you can get into the air game if you really want to, but it's unintuitive as hell, and skygods jumping on people and obliterating them in "1v1" fights (which are almost universally just "I caught you off guard and dumped a rotary magazine into your rear end before you could react. Get good, scrub.") didn't do much to make players who weren't committed to it interested in sticking with it, so the few who did ended up locking themselves in the skybox with nothing but each other for company for the last two years.

It helps to point out that the "Hover Dual or GFTO Noob" meta materialized when the Rotary was OP as gently caress and all Airspergs switched to the side with the Rotary.

It is almost like they constructed a meta designed to favor the equipment they had access too...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The VS aren't getting a splash screen because they couldn't get them to render

BabelFish posted:

Or you can run stealth + flares and laugh while he wastes 10 seconds trying to get a lock on you. Sony gave people the tools to defeat A2A handily, but they're too in love with auto repair + extinguisher to use em.

Also that video does seem super staged, the coyote user should have tried to hug the A2A missile guy. One small reverse thrust in close hoverfights and you break A2A lock, whereas coyotes at that range really can't miss.

I tried this line of reasoning before. Adapting is what other people do, and there is only one loadout they will consider using.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
By the way on that youtube video:

quote:

I'd also add that I'm rather flattered that you chose my stream material to post this footage. Now give me a reason why I shouldn't claim copyright on it?

Just off of Retsupurae's existence I don't think youtube gives a gently caress about things like this.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Its also ripped off of Twitch. They can't claim copyright on it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arghy posted:

Higby QRY is why we need a proper tunguska(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9K22_Tunguska) not the lovely skyguard we have today. They TK and ruin the game for everyone else, give us a proper AAA platform and we will help you remove these elements from the game.

The game balance should encourage combined arms with set counters, air counters infantry, armor counters air and infantry counters armor. There should of course be exceptions with good players making due with what they have like infantry pulling bursters/lock ons or dumb firing but all counters should be just as effective. A lib kills literally everything in 4 seconds flat when it has a good gunner/pilot yet nothing else can.

I present the AAA platform, an MBT chassis with 2 direct fire cannons and alt fire lock on missiles. It will become the liberator of the ground, a big target for all counters but it will have the ability to destroy air targets as fast as libs destroy all targets.

Prowler AAA variant: Best DPS poor alpha
- Quad mounted direct fire autocannons 700 RPM
- 2 salvo 600m SAM with 2 shots killing an ESF

Vanguard AAA variant: Best alpha poor dps
- Single mounted direct fire gauss cannon, slow RoF no drop
- 4 salvo 600m SAM with 4 hits killing an ESF

Magrider AAA variant: Ambush focus
- Dual scatter lasers, 700ms velocity with a charge feature that fires 6 shots in rapid succession with very little bloom
- 8 salvo anime missiles 600m range with 8 hits killing an ESF

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Make the skyguard just like the MAA from BF4 but without active radar missiles. Shreds air vehicles, shreds mans, shreds vehicles driven by the mentally challenged.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Epic High Five posted:

The VS aren't getting a splash screen because they couldn't get them to render

The VS loading screen is just an empty field at night.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

http://imgur.com/a/u4CPo

Maybe something other than IRNV will be worth using now!

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

BabelFish posted:

The VS loading screen is just an empty field at night.

It's this

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Arghy posted:

Are you ready for 1 hour of QRY bitching about not out numbering their foes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2knOP3RlIZY how dare someone use their tactics against them! Trees your good enough to use A2A missiles and win against these spergs why aren't you killing Rguitar over and over again with A2A missiles?

Hahaha, holy poo poo. Does that guy always type bad or is he literally shaking with rage?

edit: Stream permaban within seconds of even mentioning this video at will terry on twitch, not even talking poo poo. So delicious.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 4, 2014

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
vs load screen should obviously just be a bunch of VS standing around on a hill screaming "ginyu force rules" and shooting lancers into the sky

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

A2As really suck when you're trying to 1v1 someone competent for just that reason, the lock is super easy to break in a traditional honorabu hoverfight.

Not anymore. That bug was fixed. You aint dodging poop without flares.

I find it astounding that so many people abhor lock-ons yet at the same time refuse to use flares.

Horizontal Tree posted:

Its also ripped off of Twitch. They can't claim copyright on it.

Anybody can claim copyright to anything on youtube and get it removed weather or not they actually have copyrights to it. Hell, it's been happening automatically lately with music that people make and own themselves.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 4, 2014

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Not anymore. That bug was fixed. You aint dodging poop without flares.

I find it astounding that so many people abhor lock-ons yet at the same time refuse to use flares.

Its cause flares are nearly-useless utter poo poo, while fire suppression is actually useful.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Horizontal Tree posted:

Its cause flares are nearly-useless utter poo poo, while fire suppression is actually useful.

I hope people that are bad at flying continue to take this advice at least until I aurax my g2a launcher.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Sadly for you, its mostly only the bads who have flares at all.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Nakar posted:

Man, the new TR loading screen just shows how bullshit they are:

Half of the soldiers are shotgun shitters? Light Assault somehow using a TRAP? Base surrounded by Prowlers? Medic can aim his gun while rezzing a guy? loving TR.

Hopefully the new VS loading screen will just be PPA Magriders on a hill and a Lancer camp. "Make War Stories From Outside Render Range."

Are those mossies flying against a combined group of Reavers and Scythes?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Horizontal Tree posted:

Now see, this is what I don't get.

I understand that FS can be used whenever for extra health and all, while flares are only useful against lockons. By this logic, FS is useful in much more situations than flares, which are only useful in a few situations where ground or air lockons are present.

It's just that missiles hit so drat hard and FS heals only a little and only after a few seconds. You could say that FS can help you survive one more lockon, but what if there's multiple missiles coming at you? Not only that but getting hit still makes you vulnerable weather or not you can survive the missiles themselves. Flares straight up tell those missiles coming at you to gently caress off, and prevents lockons for another 5 seconds, every 25 seconds (max rank flares). Flares prevent that massive amount of damage from ever happening, as well as makes you immune to them for a while. Also it can be spammed more.

I'm not saying that FS < flares. I'm saying that flares aren't garbage. And for the record I have max rank of FS and flares and have used both extensivly on my scythe. Right now I almost exclusivly run with flares. I guess it might just be a preference thing?

e: Then again, I don't do nearly as much hounerabule skye dueles as you and mostly ground pound with PPA and coyote away at the occasional dogfighter. I suppose FS would be better against the one guy using A2A missiles instead of flares....

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 4, 2014

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Ass_Burgerer posted:

e: Then again, I don't do nearly as much hounerabule skye dueles as you and mostly ground pound with PPA and coyote away at the occasional dogfighter. I suppose FS would be better against the one guy using A2A missiles instead of flares....

No, no. You don't understand.

If you use flares you encourage people to use A2AM! Can't have those things touching our honourable sky chariots!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Horizontal Tree posted:

Air to Air lock on missiles are OP, but the thing that counters them is utter poo poo?

Keep telling people this, I got more lock on launchers to Aurax.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Flares are also handy against the most common ground AA. If you have them, G2A launchers can't touch you. Even if you're not farming infantry that can be nice to have on hand. Stealth too and you're shrugging off everything but noseguns and flak, assuming the infantry even notice you flying by in the first place.

There are counters for most of the air game, like people have said it seems to just be a resistance to using it. Maybe if we had vehicle rearming... but then, airspergs shouldn't be short on nanites anyway.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Flares are useful to counter one(1) weapon (A2AM), you can just fly away from G2A launchers or use a hill. Not that great a tradeoff when you can push a key to get 1/4 of your health back, not to mention being able to tank a stock dumbfire or AP Lightning shot and live through it if you're at full health.

Artificer posted:

Are those mossies flying against a combined group of Reavers and Scythes?

I wonder if the Reaver/Scythe ATRA ball is intentional, the artists apparently like to mess with people in the key art (hence the LA holding a TRAP and the Infil holding an Orion in the NC screen).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Aren't dumbfire HA rockets a guaranteed one shot on ESFs now? I know I've never had one not go down in one hit.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Zaodai posted:

Aren't dumbfire HA rockets a guaranteed one shot on ESFs now? I know I've never had one not go down in one hit.

If they are at 100% health and immediately fire suppress they can live.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Deci yes

The rest, no. Even the Phoenix only brings them to within an ace

Realistically though if they're going slow enough to dumbfire, they've taken enough damage to kill them outright. In the case of a Phoenix I can attest that it only brings the ESF into within a few shots from a Rebel to kill

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Zaodai posted:

In my experience it sets them on fire and you have to finish them off with bullets or wait for the panic afterburn into the nearest tree.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

I wish forum/redditside idiots hadn't complained about adversarial alerts. The last three nights it's been really hard to find anything resembling a decent fight that doesn't very quickly turn into a 96+ vehicle spam extravaganza. At least adversarial alerts did a good job of balancing everyone out among the different continents, the last three evenings the pubs have been up to their old 40-45%+ continent pop with 96+ pushing lanes again and it's ... really boring.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 4, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I just remembered I had this list to post because I am NC Medic sperg numero uno in these here parts and somebody asked for a top 10 AR ranking

1) TORQ: I mean really just trial it. That's it. A bone stock TORQ. Trial it and then after 20 minutes, tell yourself that it also gets grip/comp/SPA. Someone said that the only real downside to using the TORQ is that you can't also use the MCG and that's about right. AMAZINGLY FAST RELOAD
2) Reaper DMR: most accurate automatic in the game for the first 5-6 shots, and only requires 3 to kill at all distances. This gun is a loving nightmare to go up against (2nd only to the loving X11 in my experience) and it's my favorite to use. Hits like a dump truck full of shotguns. I cannot recommend this or its ridiculous DPM cousin the Tross highly enough. It's just NC as all hell and there's nothing like 167 damage minimum weaponry to ruin you to other guns.
3) T1 Cycler: A TORQ that reloads really slow but hits harder. To my mind it's entirely outclassed by the TORQ but that's not to say it isn't an incredible gun.
4) Terminus: DPM is still lacking in my experience, and like with most VS guns you're going to be reloading a lot. That said it's a ridiculous death laser that's easy to use and worthwhile to master
5) Gauss Rifle S: See below, except it's way more accurate and gets way more attachments and loses - drumroll - a whopping 64dps compared to the default Gauss Rifle. A HIGHLY underrated gun that is a must-aurax for every NC medic.
6) Cycler TRV: BRAAAAAAAAAAPclickclick. Way more accurate than it has any right to be. Damage model and rpm is utterly unique in entire game, excepting the MCG w/ BRRT because the MCG is insane.
7) NC1 Gauss Rifle: Like most defaults it isn't awful at anything. Unlike most defaults, it's pretty drat great at everything. Hits hard, is hilariously accurate, good hipfire, great velocity, great reload, great gun.
8) Pulsar: It's accurate I guess, and reloads quickly which is a blessing considering you'll be doing it every single kill. Still though, not a terrible gun
9) Tross: It's a very good, very accurate gun. The DPM is ridiculous, and while it's a bit less accurate than the Reaper it's loads less unforgiving. This could easily be #2 and it just comes down to playstyle. I like the extra DPS of the Reaper and the slightly more predictable recoil.
10) CME: I'm just throwing this in here because a lot of good players seem to enjoy it. Very accurate, but HVA is bugged so don't bother with it. GO FOR HEADSHOTS

Unlike most I'm not very high on the Carnage or SABR-13, and I think the GR-22 and H-V45 are NS-11A levels of bad.

o muerte posted:

I wish forum/redditside idiots hadn't complained about adversarial alerts. The last two nights it's been really hard to find anything resembling a decent fight that doesn't very quickly turn into a 96+ vehicle spam extravaganza. At least adversarial alerts did a good job of balancing everyone out among the different continents, the last three evenings the pubs have been up to their old 40-45%+ continent pop with 96+ pushing lanes again and it's ... really boring.

I feel like all the adversarial alerts needed was some fiddling with the percentages and they would've been the sort of thing even I would consider not a waste of time. Well, except they'd still never lock because of pop but what can ya do. It's not really a proper meta unless victory means you get killed and lose your tech plant!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Playing like poo poo due to being half asleep after work? Nothing balances out that KDA quite as well as running into an entire (apparently) brony-themed squad of infiltrators, and then teaching them that just maaaaybe infiltrator cloaks don't make you 100% invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Zaodai posted:

Playing like poo poo due to being half asleep after work? Nothing balances out that KDA quite as well as running into an entire (apparently) brony-themed squad of infiltrators, and then teaching them that just maaaaybe infiltrator cloaks don't make you 100% invisible.

Pleaaaase tell me it was these guys:
https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...8/#post-2906928

• Locked thread