Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

how the gently caress does this happen

it's absolutely lol but I'm feeling confused and sad and angry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ice_2_c_u posted:

it's absolutely lol but I'm feeling confused and sad and angry
microsofts bureaucracy makes the one in the movie brazil look streamlined and responsive

microsofts internal culture (stack ranking) actively encourages people to sabotage other projects and seek out troubled, mediocre teams to be a part of

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:lol:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
that was a good laugh

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Cardboard Box A posted:

"Microsoft promised cheaper Windows tablets with its "Windows 8.1 with Bing" option for manufacturers, and they’re now starting to arrive.

drfisheye
I have 8.1 on a 1024×600 netbook and no Windows Store app starts.

so? "Windows 8.1" doesn't support 1024x600. for that you need to buy the "Windows 8.1 with Bing" sku

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ice_2_c_u posted:

well you see the first guy asked us to make an os like this

and the second guy asked us to make a tablet like this

so i was just following orders sir

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/3/6100741/toshiba-encore-mini-windows-tablet

"Microsoft promised cheaper Windows tablets with its "Windows 8.1 with Bing" option for manufacturers, and they’re now starting to arrive. Toshiba is one of the first to announce a 7-inch Windows tablet this week at the IFA tradeshow in Berlin, signalling a new price point for mainstream manufacturers to battle the cheap Android alternatives. The new Encore Mini is a 7-inch (1024 x 600) Windows 8.1 tablet running a quad-core Intel Atom processor with 16GB of internal storage and an SD slot if you need more space. It’s a pretty bare-bones machine, but it’s priced accordingly: it retails for just $119.99 and is available now."

1024 x 600

drfisheye
But you can’t run Windows Store apps at 600px, the minimum requirement is 768px. I don’t get it.

blackNBUK
They removed that requirement with, I think, 8.1.

drfisheye
Nope, the requirement of 8.1 is 1024×768.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements

drfisheye
I have 8.1 on a 1024×600 netbook and no Windows Store app starts.

motherfucker

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

theyre going to just quietly remove the screen resolution requirement and give app developers different sizes to design for. because what the windows app store needs is more obstacles to development.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
every application gets a 80% scale applied to it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

how in the gently caress?

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Don't worry. They won't actually sell any so nobody will notice.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/3/6100741/toshiba-encore-mini-windows-tablet

drfisheye
But you can’t run Windows Store apps at 600px, the minimum requirement is 768px. I don’t get it.

read the rest of the article for extra laffs, people.

"There’s no Windows button on the Encore Mini, meaning [b]you’ll need to swipe for the Charms bar to navigate around.
The display also has extremely bad viewing angles when you’re navigating around, so you’re really getting what you pay for here. There’s also the issue of a full version of Windows running on such a small device, and with manufacturers now technically able to run Windows Phone at 7 inches it would make more sense for these types of devices to opt for Microsoft’s true mobile operating system in future."

It's me

I'm running Windows Phone 8.1 SP2 with Bing on my lovely tablet (because I couldn't afford a used iPad)

" HP is also planning to release 7- and 8-inch versions of its new "Stream" PC line for just $99 this holiday season, both running Windows. "

Oldsmobile posted:

Don't worry. They won't actually sell any so nobody will notice.

at those price points? so long as the things are not actively catching on fire they'll sell a buttload.

OTOH gently caress practicality and usability

its like Vista all over again.

Take a much-maligned OS, package it with poo poo-spec hardware and then act surprised, surprised! when it fails.

I for one look forward to picking up one of these to play with
when they hit ebay as "refurbs" sometinme in January '15 for like $60 bucks

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

microsoft's corporate strategy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGyEd0aKWZE

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:allears: ellie :allears:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm p.sure I saw our good friend paulie t hyping some $130 hp windows craplets on his twitter today or yesterday

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

so is windows or android occupying the low end poo poo tablet market now if you exclude importing something thats going to kill you?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

so is windows or android occupying the low end poo poo tablet market now if you exclude importing something thats going to kill you?

windows is trying to be even lower end than android in order to gain any kind of market share at all

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

Android isn't free to companies like Toshiba and Samsung, since Microsoft is dinging them with patent licensing.

So I'd imagine the way it works here is that they tell the OEMs they'll waive patent licenses for X devices if you build and ship X Windows tablets.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

windows is trying to be even lower end than android in order to gain any kind of market share at all
while still charging for windows

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

while still charging for windows

naw With Bing Edition is free to OEMs

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

Microsoft has to pay to play at this point

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thanks Ants posted:

im excited to see the garbage anroid manufacturers will pop out to compete w/these

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

counting down to the first set of toshiba android tablets that look suspiciously like the windows ones, running an x86 android build and a custom app store.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

raruler posted:

Android isn't free to companies like Toshiba and Samsung, since Microsoft is dinging them with patent licensing.

So I'd imagine the way it works here is that they tell the OEMs they'll waive patent licenses for X devices if you build and ship X Windows tablets.

I think Samsung stopped paying the royalties because MS china leaked the patents that MS claims and Samsung thinks its BS.

edit: http://rcpmag.com/articles/2014/08/04/microsoft-sues-samsung.aspx

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 3, 2014

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
remember when toshiba made good computer electronics?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

anyone??

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
sorry, I'm drawin' a blank here

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

toshiba made that funny youtube about perpendicular bits I think

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

their crt tvs were good. er maybe air conditioners? mitsubishi pretty much own that market though.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I had one of their tv's but it has some garbage skin tone correction that you couldn't turn off and it was always a frame or two behind so when you had someone face moving across the screen quickly there would be a red shadow following them gently caress their poo poo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

remember when toshiba made good computer electronics?
I've got an old Toshiba laptop, pretty light for the size, nice lighted keyboard with a good feel and size since they didn't try to cram a numpad on it...

...and the screen randomly turns off.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

toshiba made that funny youtube about perpendicular bits I think

That was Hitachi.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-gears-up-to-mass-produce-large-screen-touch-displays-7000033257/

quote:

Stephen Elop, Microsoft's Executive Vice President of Devices, told attendees of Microsoft's Australian Partner Conference on September 2 that Microsoft was gearing up to "mass produce" PPI displays. That report comes via The Australian, which reported on Elop's remarks at the conference. (One of my Twitter contacts, @walksm8, confirmed Elop's PPI comments.)

Microsoft purchased PPI in July 2012 for an undisclosed amount. PPI's large-screen touch displays originally sold in the $80,000 range. But Microsoft execs said they were exploring ways to make the displays more affordable. (The 55-inch PPI flat-panel display currently sells for about $7,500 via various retailers/resellers.)

ahhh yes, because the problem with windows 8 and the surface is that they just aren't big enough

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mod sassinator posted:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-gears-up-to-mass-produce-large-screen-touch-displays-7000033257/

ahhh yes, because the problem with windows 8 and the surface is that they just aren't big enough

The original surface is making a comeback in a big ;) ;) ;) way

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

mod sassinator posted:

microsoft still think the future of computing is automated homes with centralized home servers and giant screens on every wall. they've been persuing this vision for years despite multiple failures along the way

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what people wanted it turns out was a giant, insanely expensive computer that needs to be transported with a forklift

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

mod sassinator posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOrQ4nUM_LY

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

i seriously think execs like balmer and elop live in this fantasy world where they use stuff like that and think it is perfectly viable consumer technology. meanwhile they have an army of aids and staff that make poo poo work behind the scenes to make the illusion work.

it's like reagan and star wars defense initiative

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

mod sassinator posted:

i seriously think execs like balmer and elop live in this fantasy world where they use stuff like that and think it is perfectly viable consumer technology. meanwhile they have an army of aids and staff that make poo poo work behind the scenes to make the illusion work.

can we get dweezil zappa to sing "sur face won't worrrk"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

mod sassinator posted:

it's gate's fault. he's still the "visionary" behind all of the microsoft blunders. balmer and elop follow his orders.

Bill Gates posted:

I just got my Surface Pro a week ago and it is very nice.
I am using a Perceptive Pixel display right now - huge Windows 8 touch whiteboard. These will come down in price over time and be pervasive...

• Locked thread