Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

YorexTheMad posted:

MTGO players, is there some secret strategy to daily tournaments that involves letting your clock run down as low as it can go? I keep fighting opponents who randomly take 3-5 minutes when they have priority to do nothing and it's super aggravating.

Well there's your problem right there.

My favorite is when you ask why they're taking so long and they're like "gently caress YOU DICKHEAD"

sarmhan posted:

Also shocklands were drafted not only in their large set environments but also in DGM/GTC/RTR, with fetches leaving the draft rotation in the spring there will be fewer opened. I still anticipate a drop though. New fetches will probably end up around $15 depending on standard popularity.

I doubt most packs are opened in draft the way they are on MTGO. My guess is most sales are some guy impulse buying a few packs at Target. I would be very surprised if fetchlands are still $15 by the time Fate Reforged is in full swing.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

You can pretty much assume that a lot of them are playing multiple games at once. I'm not sure the MODO economy presently supports it, but I know in the past there were hardcore value grinder types who would scratch out a living by profiting on MODO tournaments.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

YorexTheMad posted:

MTGO players, is there some secret strategy to daily tournaments that involves letting your clock run down as low as it can go? I keep fighting opponents who randomly take 3-5 minutes when they have priority to do nothing and it's super aggravating.

Yeah, it's called "play in as many queues as you can possibly manage simultaneously" and yes it's extremely annoying for those of us who like to enjoy a game.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I just had a though. Would a 2CMC Blue Aura that gives the enchanted creature Prowess be playable in a Modern Delver deck?

I'd probably give it a shot at least but I love trying to do maybe-mediocre-but-definitely-fun things.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

I just had a though. Would a 2CMC Blue Aura that gives the enchanted creature Prowess be playable in a Modern Delver deck?

I'd probably give it a shot at least but I love trying to do maybe-mediocre-but-definitely-fun things.

I think it'd need to give some other bonus (a flat +1/+1?), but the main issue is getting 2 for 1'd as usual.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Yeah, it's called "play in as many queues as you can possibly manage simultaneously" and yes it's extremely annoying for those of us who like to enjoy a game.

Ah. I was thinking maybe tournament matchmaking was tied clock time and they were trying to fish for easier opponents or something, but this is a much simpler explanation.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
edit: I can't read cards

Mouth Ze Dong fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 4, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

sarmhan posted:

Also shocklands were drafted not only in their large set environments but also in DGM/GTC/RTR, with fetches leaving the draft rotation in the spring there will be fewer opened. I still anticipate a drop though. New fetches will probably end up around $15 depending on standard popularity.

You sure? Treating the RTR and Gatecrash shocks as separate sets of 5 there were 3 draft formats RRR, GGG, DGR. Lets' use the 5 RTR shocks as an example. RTR appears as 4 of the 9 boosters opened across the formats, but it was possible to pull Shocks out of DGM packs. Dragon's maze had roughly the same chance of containing a shock as any other rare in the set, but you cut that in half since half of the shocks in that slot were from Gatecrash. Meaning there were roughly 4.5 packs worth of RTR Shocks available across the draft formats.

Khans will go KKK, KK2, 332. Among the 3 draft formats in this block, there are 5 packs being opened out of 9. A higher ratio of packs containing allied fetches will be opened than there were of RTR shocks. Assuming Khans is equally as popular as RTR and the chance of pulling a given rare is the same, there will be roughly 5 Flooded Strands opened for every 4.5 Hallowed Fountains.

I fully expect that this set will outsell Return To Ravnica as fetches are a bigger draw than shocks, so chances are there will be a lot more of a given Khans fetch entering circulation than a given RTR shock. The only thing that can keep their value above that of shocks will be demand.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
How many non-creature spells are you casting in a way that the +1 would particularly benefit you? I see the stock Delver list here: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/9712#online
And it shows 8 cantrips and 6 burn spells (maybe) that you'd be casting on your turn where the Prowess would increase damage. That's not nothing, but that's not exactly raising the stakes like you would where you have a 30 creature deck with Aether Vials.

Like, it might be playable if it cost 1 and gave Prowess and Hexproof or something dumb like that, so you could cast it with 3 mana and have a counter back-up? Once you get it even to 2 CC the risk of 2-for-1 where you'd want to cast it with 4 mana up (and thus you'd have to possibly even lower your shields to cast it) makes it seem to be tipping towards less playable.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

End of Life Guy posted:

Re: those unrevealed lands.

There has got to be a cycle of fetchable dual/tri colored lands because Evolving Wilds was re-printed in M15, and if fetches can only find basics, We can all run four Evolving Wilds as functional fetches for WAY cheaper.

Lands fetched from evolving wilds enter tapped.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

End of Life Guy posted:

Re: those unrevealed lands.

There has got to be a cycle of fetchable dual/tri colored lands because Evolving Wilds was re-printed in M15, and if fetches can only find basics, We can all run four Evolving Wilds as functional fetches for WAY cheaper.

You can and people will but it won't be a good idea. Trust me.

So many responses/theorycrafts seem predicated on the idea that it won't be worthwhile to play fetches in Standard just to fetch basics, and that's just not true. It wasn't true in Onslaught, it wasn't true in Zendikar, and it won't be true now.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

JerryLee posted:

You can and people will but it won't be a good idea. Trust me.

So many responses/theorycrafts seem predicated on the idea that it won't be worthwhile to play fetches in Standard just to fetch basics, and that's just not true. It wasn't true in Onslaught, it wasn't true in Zendikar, and it won't be true now.
It's not worth it just to get a single color but they can still get either color and are untapped - you'd be silly not to run a fetchland if you're the appropriate allied pair.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sarmhan posted:

It's not worth it just to get a single color but they can still get either color and are untapped - you'd be silly not to run a fetchland if you're the appropriate allied pair.

Umm, yes, it is worth it even for just a single color.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Fetches aren't nearly as powerful without Shocks/Revised Duals/some other typed land as they are without but they are still pretty good with just basics.

I'd really love to see a cycle of Murmuring Bosk-likes.
Murmuring Bosk probably wouldn't be the Forest in this set though since WBG is the White Clan and they'd probably prefer to keep that theme consistent. It'd be more like:

Land -- Forest
~ enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add U or R to your mana pool. ~ deals 1 damage to you.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Even running 12 fetches and 8 basics in a mono-color deck doesn't thin the deck in a statistically significant way, the EV for even that extreme breakdown is turn 21 for you to see anything. Unless you have some kind of benefit/trick with the fetch, "thinning" is not worth the life payment.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/print.asp?ID=3096

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Boco_T posted:

Even running 12 fetches and 8 basics in a mono-color deck doesn't thin the deck in a statistically significant way, the EV for even that extreme breakdown is turn 21 for you to see anything. Unless you have some kind of benefit/trick with the fetch, "thinning" is not worth the life payment.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/print.asp?ID=3096

Its best to just assume thinning isn't real. Its statistically insignificant.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Gvar Bazeel sounds amazing, and I hope he is a legend with an ability to mirror Zurgo's. Get's a +1/+1 counter whenever he blocks, indestructible on opponent's turns (maybe then make him a legendary morph?), or maybe just something like exile a creature from your graveyard prevent all damage that would be dealt to Gvar Bazeel (in reference to his axe?)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Thinning isn't going to help you assuming you've mana-weaved properly.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

sarmhan posted:

Right, in my mind it was implied that this was only if you were in the color pair, using it as a dual land. It's not worth it for deck thinning, but Evolving Wilds isn't worth it for deck thinning either, and that was the comparison under discussion. :v:

(I'd be surprised if people didn't at least playtest using them for delve value, though. Delve decks likely won't be mono-color anyway, but it's possible that it could be worth playing even off-color fetches, especially since only one of the allied fetches will natively be in the wedge.)

Attorney at Funk posted:

Nice.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

They're not worth it for the thinning, but they're worth it for the shuffle.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

They're not worth it for the thinning, but they're worth it for the shuffle.

What's so great about shuffling unless you have a reliable way to know what's coming up?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I mean for sure at least one top tier deck after rotation will have a guaranteed include of 4 Courser, 4 Foothills, 4 Heath. Plus The New Standard BUG Delver.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The fetches are absolutely going to drive down the price of other rares and mythics, especially rares, simply due to the volume of boxes being opened. Because of the high EV of doing so people who normally don't purchase sealed product are going to for Khans. The number of packs opened is simply going to be higher than Theros, RTR or any other recent large set. Even if demand for fetches sustains them above $10 (and I expect that $10 will be the ceiling for the duration of their time in Standard once the initial bump settles) that many packs being opened will put substantial downward pressure on the price of all of the other rares in the set.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

They're worth it in older formats for shuffling, and in particular decks for thinning but thinning is really negligible to the point where if your deck cares about life at all it's bad. We're talking ~1-2% less land density per fetch.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Attorney at Funk posted:

Well played.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

What's so great about shuffling unless you have a reliable way to know what's coming up?

Because you don't want what's coming up. Brainstorm rules with shuffle.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Since Brainstorm won't be in Standard, I'm not sure why this is relevant.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm not sure you read the post you're quoting. Brainstorm isn't in Standard and Fetch-shuffling isn't particularly good with the most common form of Scry in Stnadard, which are Scrylands, because you have to intentionally avoid cracking your fetchlands from previous turns to successfully shuffle away whatever is in your Scry.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 4, 2014

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's relevant because it is the most played card in every format it is legal in?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's relevant because it is the most played card in every format it is legal in?
It's a good thing we weren't talking about those formats.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Brainstorm is only legal as a 4-of in literally one format. The merits of fetchlands in Legacy aren't has been known forever and nobody was talking about it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 4, 2014

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Fetches do not actually interact favorably with Scry lands, and it's going to be interesting to see how many players realize that when they run both. Want to keep that card on top? Guess you can't crack that fetch for some instant speed response without losing it. Scry-ed a bunch of useless lands to the bottom? Get ready to draw them all over again after cracking that fetch.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

sarmhan posted:

They're worth it in older formats for shuffling, and in particular decks for thinning but thinning is really negligible to the point where if your deck cares about life at all it's bad. We're talking ~1-2% less land density per fetch.
:milk:

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 4, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Gensuki posted:

Gvar Bazeel sounds amazing
He sounds like a Star Wars EU character. What I'm saying is that Star Wars EU has ruined all fantasy names for me.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Veyrall posted:

He sounds like a Star Wars EU character. What I'm saying is that Star Wars EU has ruined all fantasy names for me.

I'm pretty sure I got "Dack Fayden" out of the random name generator in KotOR once.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Running Sunblade Elf, Soldier of the Pantheon, Fleecemane, Spiteful Returned (?), Brimaz, Anafenza, and maybe Sorin would be a pretty easy deck to put together. The lack of more really good 1 drops kind of hurts, but I guess you could max out on the Elves and Soldiers.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sleep of Bronze posted:

They've got another opportunity even after that: end of combat has its own round of priority too. I remember seeing games where it made sense to use either of those, but I can't recall for the life of me what the specific cases were. :shrug:

I have seen this matter exactly once that I can remember. One guy attacked with a big creature and a couple of smaller ones, the other guy blocked and traded off all the little guys and then cast a Celestial Flare after combat damage was dealt.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

qbert posted:

Fetches do not actually interact favorably with Scry lands, and it's going to be interesting to see how many players realize that when they run both. Want to keep that card on top? Guess you can't crack that fetch for some instant speed response without losing it. Scry-ed a bunch of useless lands to the bottom? Get ready to draw them all over again after cracking that fetch.

If you've got some trick in your hand, don't be a dumbass and fetch before you play the scryland?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Angry Grimace posted:

Running Sunblade Elf, Soldier of the Pantheon, Fleecemane, Spiteful Returned (?), Brimaz, Anafenza, and maybe Sorin would be a pretty easy deck to put together. The lack of more really good 1 drops kind of hurts, but I guess you could max out on the Elves and Soldiers.

Tormented Hero or gnarled scarhide unless you don't want a black one drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

I have seen this matter exactly once that I can remember. One guy attacked with a big creature and a couple of smaller ones, the other guy blocked and traded off all the little guys and then cast a Celestial Flare after combat damage was dealt.

You can do that in the combat damage step as well. About the only thing the "end of combat" step does is allow you to cast spells while still in combat, but after anything added to people's mana pools in the combat damage step has drained.

• Locked thread