Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Cupholders are located at the back wall so I don't have to contort my arm when shifting. gently caress, I'm sold already.

Though I don't like that the air vents are not symmetrical. That rectangular one in the middle ruins everything!

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration issued a proposed rule Monday requiring all new light vehicles — including cars, SUVs, trucks and vans — to have "rear-view visibility systems," in effect, requiring backup cameras.

The rule -- which would be final in 60 days -- would start phasing in on May 1, 2016 models and be at 100% May 1, 2018.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Jesus. Christ.

A mirror doesn't work as a rear view system? Or turning your goddamn head?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Backup cameras own. It's whatever.

This is the Miata thread, but I'm sure that you've realized, especially since you ride motorcycles, that 99% of the cars out there aren't Miata sized.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Look at those headrests and how high up the boot sits. Even with the top down it's going to be a total pain to see behind you unless you're very tall.

Doesn't seem too much worse than a NC or S2000. I don't really care that it has a screen so much that it's completely unshrouded and in a position that just looks slapped on.

And those color coordinated door tops are gonna be painful.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Blaise posted:

Jesus. Christ.

A mirror doesn't work as a rear view system? Or turning your goddamn head?
You haven't driven a modern SUV, have you? You or I don't need the cameras and blind spot monitors, but I'd rather the fuckwit driving/opening a bag of chips in the next lane have them available. And having lived with this stuff (backup camera, cross traffic alert, blind spot monitors), it is actually useful after a while.

The screen high up on the dash makes sense, and not surrounding it with plastic dashboard gives the most forward visibility.

edit: the screen is about the same height as the gauges. If the 3 is anything to go by, that means you'll still be able to see the base of the windshield over the top of the screen. It doesn't block anything.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 4, 2014

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
Even backing up the BRZ, I wouldn't be able to see anyone under 3 1/2 foot tall or so. It's children and slow moving elderly that are mostly backed over.

With the rate beltlines are rising in cars, rear visibility will be non-existent by the time backup cameras are mandatory.

How crazy would pop up headlights be on a 2015 model?

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 4, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 230 days!)

Chriskory posted:

With the rate sills are rising in cars, rear visibility will be non-existent by the time backup cameras are mandatory.

They were trying to make them manditory by 2008. We got TPMS at least, I guess. That got pushed back in favor of abolishing the 100 watt light bulb.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
One of the things I love about my NA is the rear visibility - when I turn my head to look at the situation behind me, I feel naked.

This could be because I, in fact, drive naked.

Edit: interesting how the ND LCD appears angled toward the passenger.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TheGoatTrick posted:

You haven't driven a modern SUV, have you?

Seriously. My '03 Grand Cherokee has way better rear visibility than my '13 CR-V, despite being considerably larger. The backup camera on the CR-V is a loving godsend.

ND looks damned good... but I still can't wait to see what the eye-talians do with it. :getin:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Because the youtube M/C dude seemed to want to skip over dashboard talk, and because the screen looks like hell, and because the HVAC controls are from the parts bin (?), I'm gonna guess that the dash is not out of the tweak department just yet. Looks like the iDrive only will do nav, backup, and infotainment w/redundant controls?

My only nit picks.

Love the rest. It makes the older gens (including the one I own and love) look like conestogas.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Otteration posted:

Because the youtube M/C dude seemed to want to skip over dashboard talk, and because the screen looks like hell, and because the HVAC controls are from the parts bin (?), I'm gonna guess that the dash is not out of the tweak department just yet. Looks like the iDrive only will do nav, backup, and infotainment w/redundant controls?
That's the same screen that the current 3 and new 2 use. It's going in the 6 and the CX-5 next year. I don't see why they'd use anything different.

The system controls the stereo, phone, navigation (if applicable), vehicle settings, and "apps" (currently, fuel economy and maintenance monitors). It has a touchscreen which is active when the car isn't moving. If the car is moving, you use the knob (Mazda calls it the "commander") or voice controls. The voice controls actually work really well. I don't use the touchscreen at all, but I'm used to iDrive.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

TheGoatTrick posted:

You haven't driven a modern SUV, have you? You or I don't need the cameras and blind spot monitors, but I'd rather the fuckwit driving/opening a bag of chips in the next lane have them available.

That's fine. I have driven an SUV. I think its a great tool.

However, MANDATING THEM, in every car, including a miata, is what I have a problem with. Adds extra price and complexity to something I wanna keep pure.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

TheGoatTrick posted:

That's the same screen that the current 3 and new 2 use. It's going in the 6 and the CX-5 next year. I don't see why they'd use anything different.

The system controls the stereo, phone, navigation (if applicable), vehicle settings, and "apps" (currently, fuel economy and maintenance monitors). It has a touchscreen which is active when the car isn't moving. If the car is moving, you use the knob (Mazda calls it the "commander") or voice controls. The voice controls actually work really well. I don't use the touchscreen at all, but I'm used to iDrive.

Cool, and good to know. I like that voice works well (with the top down!?). Wish the physical screen were better integrated into the dash throughout the Mazda line (my only personal decent samples are the 05 Accord nav screen, 13 Prius, and (yowza) 93 Lincoln Mark VIII, which look good in dash, but maybe not so much ergonomically). I also understand the backup cam bit; too many baby seats being left behind and squished. Implementation is a bit too appliancy here though. Just hoping for a tweak, and not ever needing to look away from the road at a possibly passenger-oriented screen w/glare and amid traffic on a tight corner. Tweaks.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
This miata will kill off the miata. It is not cute. How are they going to sell them?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've driven cars with rear-view cameras before and only really looked at them when parallel parking into tight spots. So I'm not sure this is really going to accomplish anything besides make the car look stupid and more expensive. Anyway, the tablet in a dock thing is really unappealing too, it really looks half-baked and I never liked it in any of the cars that do this now. Something nicely integrated into the dash just creates a more complete look, even BMW's two bubbles work better IMO.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Still better than NB/NC/ND/Nx.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 24, 2019

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

105mm shorter makes it the shortest ever by some distance, and the engine's position has pushed the cabin back a little as well. I'll be interested to see where the space has been taken from.

Chriskory posted:

How crazy would pop up headlights be on a 2015 model?
They're unfashionable, less aerodynamic and more complex. Even if you could ignore the legislation around pedestrian safety, it's a lot of compromises for (at best) a divisive styling choice.

Elephanthead posted:

This miata will kill off the miata. It is not cute. How are they going to sell them?
The NC wasn't cute either.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Stupid safety laws ruining everything good

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nodoze posted:

Stupid safety laws ruining everything good

Like living.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Living is overrated anyway, I don't think anyone ever complained about not living.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Blaise posted:

That's fine. I have driven an SUV. I think its a great tool.

However, MANDATING THEM, in every car, including a miata, is what I have a problem with. Adds extra price and complexity to something I wanna keep pure.

Oh jeez. A tiny digital camera and a small LCD aren't adding complexity to your purist experience.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Will Mazda offer a power steering delete / AC delete stripper model option?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Will Mazda offer a power steering delete / AC delete stripper model option?

That doesn't sound very aspirational to me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I am angry. Really angry.

I hold my tongue about most designs because I am not the target market, but this car, I AM THE TARGET MARKET.

The worst part is knowing that every time I see one of these things I will see a great opportunity lost. Gone. Over.

The car has wonderful overall proportions, and that's what makes the designer's crime all the more vile. Sick. Awful.

They destroyed it for no other reason than to stroking their own egos. In the end they'll know they failed. The car isn't great, and it could have been. It'll go down as just a footnote to the NA.

This small, tight, pure little machine should not be infected, festooned or decorated with the trite, weakass nonsense crap of some clueless egotistical designer or design boss.

One of the forum members once asked why all cars can't be beautiful.

Well here's the reason. HUMAN NATURE.

They can't help getting their egos involved. They want to put their fingerprints on it, "sign it", graffiti-ize it. Oh and they did. I can think of a few other phrases and words that describe what they did but are not fit for this forum.

A beautiful design requires restraint, maturity and discipline on the part of the designer. An Aston V8 Vantage, a E46 M3, a Cord 810 all from the heart. All pure.

How quickly stupidity and ego can turn an E-type into a Daimler Dart.

The only reason I am not screaming "moron!" to the people that say they like the car is because I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. I think that what they are seeing are the great overall proportions and not the detail warts and tortured surfaces from the design team. I can't live with those. I will not buy one. EVER.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Extra posted:

Still waiting for the LED strip DRL thing to go out of fashion because there is not one car that looks good with it.

Same here. The only cars it looked serviceable on were Audis. Now I have to see that poo poo on Dodge Durangos? It's like the Altezza taillights of the 2010's

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Phone posted:

I will not buy one. EVER.

:( Cool your jets man. I know where you're coming from, I am also their exact target market. I will hold off on making such statements until I can drive one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Blaise posted:

:( Cool your jets man. I know where you're coming from, I am also their exact target market. I will hold off on making such statements until I can drive one.
I should source my quote:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=553282&page=18

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

Oh jeez. A tiny digital camera and a small LCD aren't adding complexity to your purist experience.

Sure does. It's extra engineering cost, extra production cost, and who knows whether it will be a required item to pass safety inspection in the future.

This is part of the reason I'm so happy with the sportbike market. There are no gimmicks and no safety BS mandates. The bikes just get lighter, faster, better handling, year after year. Bigger and bigger smiles.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

hahah well that explains my confusion

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Blaise posted:

Sure does. It's extra engineering cost, extra production cost, and who knows whether it will be a required item to pass safety inspection in the future.

This is part of the reason I'm so happy with the sportbike market. There are no gimmicks and no safety BS mandates. The bikes just get lighter, faster, better handling, year after year. Bigger and bigger smiles.

ABS, traction control? Both something I desire on a modern motorcycle, though not mandated it likely should/will be.

I'm sure people complained about radial tires because their sidewall squirmed, seatbelts that kill you, airbags ect. I know people who complain about fuel injection being "too complicated".

Anyway, engineering cost for the screen and steering wheel controls lower when spread across the full model range.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

miata.net posted:

A beautiful design requires restraint, maturity and discipline on the part of the designer. An Aston V8 Vantage, a E46 M3, a Cord 810 all from the heart. All pure.

miata.net posted:

restraint, maturity and discipline

An Aston V8 Vantage, a E46 M3, a Cord 810

Hahahahaha wat

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Chriskory posted:

ABS, traction control? Both something I desire on a modern motorcycle, though not mandated it likely should/will be.

I'm sure people complained about radial tires because their sidewall squirmed, seatbelts that kill you, airbags ect. I know people who complain about fuel injection being "too complicated".

Bah. Yeah. I'm honestly torn here. I think new tech is awesome.

And then there is stuff that I get annoyed with. Rear view cameras I guess falls firmly in the 'don't want/need' pile. And since I work in engineering I'm aware that there's business cases for everything, as well as govt mandates. I realize I'm at one end of the extremes for what customers would want.

Lucky for me, I have lots of choices for cars/bikes. I can always get older vehicles and I can always modify to suit my taste. Pardon my passion for this project, I just happen to love my NA (owned two, plus an NB) and so I'm fighting for every bit of that possible while maintaining safety standards.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The thing that annoys me the most is that we (America) want to dump billions of dollars into things like rearview cameras and TPMS and yet we don't want to invest anything at all into driver training. It makes no sense at all.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

quote:

White'901.8swap,MBSP,reroute,Red'90,15x7.5,VLSD,Red2'90VLSD,15x8,Laguna'94C-pkg,White'97FFS,XidaCS,OSGiken,RS3,JaguarXKES1,MiniCooper1275S, BMW Isetta

That guy was never going to buy a new one.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

revmoo posted:

The thing that annoys me the most is that we (America) want to dump billions of dollars into things like rearview cameras and TPMS and yet we don't want to invest anything at all into driver training. It makes no sense at all.

You clearly don't understand "gently caress you, got mine."

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

meatpimp posted:

You clearly don't understand "gently caress you, got mine."

I was leaving a parking lot when a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe pulls in, drivers side front tire completely flat (driving on the rim). I turn around assuming they need help, but they park in a spot and start walking into the store. So I ask if they know their tire is flat, they look back and are surprised to find it so. Then comment "that must be what's been making all the noise"

Driving past an hour later, car was still parked on a flat tire. Still is today for all I know. So much for mandatory TPMS equating to anything.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If you make something idiot-proof, they'll make a better idiot. It's a never-ending cycle of catering to the lowest common denominator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Blaise posted:

It is literally two off-the-shelf components and some wiring where wiring already goes in bundles.