Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

fool_of_sound posted:

Are there any general strategies for fighting entrenched aquatic nations as a nation that doesn't get amphibious troops naturally?

Make friends with them and then take enough land thrones to win the video game while they play in the kiddie pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Make friends with them and then take enough land thrones to win the video game while they play in the kiddie pool.

Do this and cast that global which freezes all water shut to prevent them from leaving the water.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

garth ferengi posted:

-Phoenix...explodes upon death...

Somebody host this poo poo, stat! I need run a suicide bomber gimmick pretender!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

What's a standard ponymans bless these days? Back in Dom3 I used to pretty much invariably use E9N4 for the protection, reinvig, and limited regen, but that's been nixed by the revision of the nature bless.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

A'he he he he he he he :v:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

scalded schlong posted:

What's a standard ponymans bless these days? Back in Dom3 I used to pretty much invariably use E9N4 for the protection, reinvig, and limited regen, but that's been nixed by the revision of the nature bless.
N9, like almost every bless? (Too Good, Should Maybe Be Nerfed)

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Neruz posted:

A'he he he he he he he :v:

Fire gems and fire gems?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Firebirds are absolutely balanced, yes.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

scalded schlong posted:

I see W9, N9 and W9+N9 most commonly. Prot just doesn't seem to pull the same weight that it used to in Dom3.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

N9E4 works too but in dom4 you are a lot less reliant on thugs so taking a thug bless for your ponies is usually not worth it. Taking a bless that is primarily focused on your sacreds plus extra scales or an awake god is usually a better option. EA Van is the most suited to taking N9 if you want to play with thugs as vanhere are really good with the extra hps. I still like W9 better for them though as W9 vanhere are just plain silly with 3 16 defense glamour guys per square throwing out an average of 9 high damage attacks per turn.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm a sucker for B6A6E6 for Van.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

What is the air for. Your ponymen can air shield right off the bat and storm+mist and possibly arrow fend will basically ruin projectiles.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Nuclearmonkee posted:

What is the air for. Your ponymen can air shield right off the bat and storm+mist and possibly arrow fend will basically ruin projectiles.

Forging robes of magi

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Also perpetual storm.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

quote:

Kraken made amphibious, now has 4 arm and misc slots and starts with water magic path, cheaper pathcosts, has tentacle attacks that cannot be repelled

Now why couldn't this happen before I started domboobs with 'Release Me' the Kraken? Still waiting on my amulet of the fish to get him onto land.

Nevertheless, my overall goal of Gift of Reasoning a monster fish remains unchanged.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

Forging robes of magi
OK, but who for?

You're using buckets and buckets of Air gems just to bosh out as many Air Quills as possible to get your research up to speed, and going blood hunting has such a severe opportunity cost with Vanheim that you're going to have to have a better reason for it than +1 to all paths, when almost all of your mages have 2 at most, and the ones that don't are better served by cheaper items.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

As many abilities and attributes his game have... it doesn't have terrain-specific stealth, right??
I mean, like in Age of Wonders: units who can hide in a province if the type is correct (mountain, forest, wasteland). It could be a cool addition for the game.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Also perpetual storm.

Both EA and MA can do this out of the box with boosters though, unless you really want to rush it for some reason.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Both EA and MA can do this out of the box with boosters though, unless you really want to rush it for some reason.
A3B1+100%ABED to a B6A6.
I don't see it.
Edit: Disregard this previous stuff, I'm dumb. I like casting Perpetual Storm on a Pretender because they're usually more durable and aren't going to be thrown into battle as often as my vanadrotts. I like rushing Perpetual Storm since it can get my crappy vanjarls to start t striking immediately and anywhere without needing a storm caster or staff of storms.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 4, 2014

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Doesn't W9 have some goofy effect, like only working every other round or something odd like that? And it tires the hell out of your units, I don't know why people like it so much.

And yeah, as much as I love N9, it might be a little too good. Not sure how you would nerf it without ruining it, though (it's currently the only way to directly increase a unit's HP, and that makes a lot of thugs viable when they otherwise wouldn't be).

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Jabarto posted:

Doesn't W9 have some goofy effect, like only working every other round or something odd like that? And it tires the hell out of your units, I don't know why people like it so much.

And yeah, as much as I love N9, it might be a little too good. Not sure how you would nerf it without ruining it, though (it's currently the only way to directly increase a unit's HP, and that makes a lot of thugs viable when they otherwise wouldn't be).

You get 3 attacks per 2 rounds, more AP and +4 defense. Your units do get tired more 50% more quickly because they kill 50% more quickly. This is obviously a good thing. If you are fighting skelespam or horribly outnumbered, the battle would last a few more turns and you would get less kills than you will with W9. The loss is going to happen either way.

N9 is good against crap chaff and on berserkers mostly. It will not save you even a little bit against good high damage troops and I am always happy when I see N9 giants roll up when I'm fielding W9 anything. Giants will miss and get cut to pieces without problems. N9 is a great supplemental bless and nature itself is really strong at high levels. However, if you are taking it primarily for for melee units that aren't Niefel Giants or Vanhere it's a bad idea imo for a single bless.

EDIT: There are also situations where N9 has a lot of utility like on Bandar Log or MA Pythium so you can turbo communion way harder than normal.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 4, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone know approximately what percentage of gem sites can be found at each path level? Would I be better off using the search spells with my level 1-2 mages than to search manually?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

I Love You! posted:

Forging robes of magi

So go A4, then forge the two air boosters to get robes of the magi.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Eschatos posted:

So go A4, then forge the two air boosters to get robes of the magi.

Well Vans suck at blood hunting efficiently so getting an A4E1B1 to A6B6 is painfully expensive. However if you are in a situation where you really need Robe of the Magi, I imagine you could afford the 185 slaves that it will take to empower/forge boosters to get there.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

Does anyone know approximately what percentage of gem sites can be found at each path level? Would I be better off using the search spells with my level 1-2 mages than to search manually?

Like 80 to 90% of all sites are level 0 through 2. Not sure about gem-generating ones specifically.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You get 3 attacks per 2 rounds, more AP and +4 defense. Your units do get tired more 50% more quickly because they kill 50% more quickly. This is obviously a good thing. If you are fighting skelespam or horribly outnumbered, the battle would last a few more turns and you would get less kills than you will with W9. The loss is going to happen either way.

N9 is good against crap chaff and on berserkers mostly. It will not save you even a little bit against good high damage troops and I am always happy when I see N9 giants roll up when I'm fielding W9 anything. Giants will miss and get cut to pieces without problems. N9 is a great supplemental bless and nature itself is really strong at high levels. However, if you are taking it primarily for for melee units that aren't Niefel Giants or Vanhere it's a bad idea imo for a single bless.

EDIT: There are also situations where N9 has a lot of utility like on Bandar Log or MA Pythium so you can turbo communion way harder than normal.

Just try telling this dog his n9 bless isn't good.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Give him W9 though and he's still worse than 50/50 for an Agarthan to hit with a spear under Berserk, plus clears lines of them at a time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Why is this dog better than a shapeshifting blood mage who has turned into a dog

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

jBrereton posted:

Give him W9 though and he's still worse than 50/50 for an Agarthan to hit with a spear under Berserk, plus clears lines of them at a time.

Actually, those Agarthans are pretty drat mean because their team got the +3 attack and defense thrones.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I disagree with N9 hate. N9 is relevant in every fight even if it just means your troops take a few more swings to die at times. It makes your chaff chaff longer, prevents afflictions, and wins stalemates handily.

But most important of all, it is a super cheap bless that lets you clean up indies with token forces and virtually no losses. An N9 bless lets you blaze through the early game with invincible troops that don't suffer attrition and forces your opponents to bring real guns to any battle they try to initiate. It's an amazing bless for taking more than your fair share early on without giving anything up. The fact that the Tree is the best god chassis in the game helps matters as well for any nation that can use it.

N9 bless has a very, very positive opportunity cost and synergizes well with a huge range of strats. I think calling it strictly worse than W9 because W9 troops tend to beat N9 troops in a fight is disingenuous. W9 troops do tend to beat N9 troops in a vacuum, but N9 troops beat unblessed troops better than W9 does, and N9 does better against spells and random indies. Both are excellent blesses, but N9 is one you can take without committing to a specific strat and I feel that's exceptionally powerful (also it's great with communions).

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

scalded schlong posted:

Why is this dog better than a shapeshifting blood mage who has turned into a dog
It's not better. Mage dog costs cash and upkeep though, dog dog only costs gems.

A sacred giant berserker wolf with 2 high damage attacks, 28AP and fear is pretty drat good for only 2 nature gems each.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

tooterfish posted:

It's not better. Mage dog costs cash and upkeep though, dog dog only costs gems.

A sacred giant berserker wolf with 2 high damage attacks, 28AP and fear is pretty drat good for only 2 nature gems each.

Fearwolves are an incredible gemdump, use them x100

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
With the mod that makes all nations generic and recruits all cool mages/troops from sites, it's a tossup as to whether I'd do N9 or W9 bless. Probably awake W9 dragon.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

N9 is good against crap chaff and on berserkers mostly.

Also disciples is a different thing. n9 dragons are extremely powerful.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I think N9 is good but with the fact Gift of Health got nerfed, maybe less good?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

I think N9 is good but with the fact Gift of Health got nerfed, maybe less good?
No way, more good. Means your N9 on any nation that can't realistically challenge GoH against Pan/Asphodel/Man/Whoever Else is more meaningful relative to everyone else for longer.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tooterfish posted:

In terms of dog vs dog, the summoned, non-spellcasting dog is better. A summoned wolf has fear, berserking and sacred, a skratti turned into a wolf has neither. Presumably they don't know how to howl properly if they start out as a giant.

I agree that a skratti in general is better than a 2 gem summon, and also that brood of garm is an amazing spell and I need more nature gems.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

scalded schlong posted:

In terms of dog vs dog, the summoned, non-spellcasting dog is better. A summoned wolf has fear, berserking and sacred, a skratti turned into a wolf has neither. Presumably they don't know how to howl properly if they start out as a giant.

I agree that a skratti in general is better than a 2 gem summon, and also that brood of garm is an amazing spell and I need more nature gems.

You should be using both anyways. Instead of a vine shield on a single skratti I'd much rather have five fear dogs and a shrouded skratti with something like a brand and a flesheater.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The items I got from firebird spam seem to favor dragon scepter over anything else. Like 1/3rd of the 50+ items I got are these crappy scepters. The game is trying to tell me something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You should be using both anyways. Instead of a vine shield on a single skratti I'd much rather have five fear dogs and a shrouded skratti with something like a brand and a flesheater.

• Locked thread