Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I guess we're still not saying it enough: Any captain can fly (almost) any boat effectively, as long as you apply some common sense and understand that Cryptic math is occasionally directly contradicted by itself.

STO is super-casual. As long as you're using a sane build, you'll be better than 90% of the pubbies.

Have fun. Make your space-Barbie. Use a clicky console if it looks entertaining. It's not going to kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Use a clicky console if it looks entertaining. It's not going to kill you.

This one probably will actually.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Not probably, definitely.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...
And this one will just fake it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

So, would the effect created by using both of those temporal consoles together be a Manheim Steamroller?

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Asimo posted:

Not probably, definitely.

Not once have I clicked that console and lived. I had to take it off my toolbar because I would accidently click it. The duplicates it summons have typical bad AI and don't have your equipment so I don't see why it needs such a harsh downside to balance it out. It's basically a less powerful Photonic Fleet... that kills you.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Okay, that one will kill you. That's one of dozens. You'll probably laugh when it happens, too. And you know what? It's a game. Be dumb sometimes.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

kzin602 posted:

Not once have I clicked that console and lived. I had to take it off my toolbar because I would accidently click it. The duplicates it summons have typical bad AI and don't have your equipment so I don't see why it needs such a harsh downside to balance it out. It's basically a less powerful Photonic Fleet... that kills you.
Because it's an entertaining gimmick, so long as you don't ever do tough missions. Or change the ship's loadout.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Why does that kill you? (never used the console)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

Why does that kill you? (never used the console)

Hull damage to the past self hits your present self.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Haha, really? That's pretty loving terrible (I love it!)

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tunicate posted:

More specifically, the console spawns two NPC pets. You take the full damage that the "past version" pet takes. While it inherits your shield and hull it doesn't inherit your damage resistance or defense skills, and it shares the usual NPC AI predilections of humping borg cubes while they warp core breach and similar insanity. And of you're you're still taking whatever damage your actual ship is suffering while your past version is blundering into explosions too.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lorak posted:

Because it's an entertaining gimmick, so long as you don't ever do tough missions. Or change the ship's loadout.

A cluster of exploding probes or a single cube exploding will get you (edit: your duplicate, and then the damage rolls over to you). The duplicates seem to have stock equipment or a low resist modifier. If they are overkilled the damage still seems to leak through to me and seems to bypass resistances.

I don't understand the math completely but things that would never ever kill my actual ship will smear my duplicate and then I just die. Even doing an stf on non elite difficulty will kill me when my duplicate dies.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/7003853-intelligence-operative-gear

Did you guys see this yet? I think it's pretty cool.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Coming back for a bit. McConaugh @ CobiWann, looking for invite to TNG.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
If it's usable everywhere then yes, it's pretty cool. If it's usable anywhere on new maps in the Delta Quadrant, but not in fun places like droz and ESD then it's a little bit less cool. If it's only usable in certain pre-defined spots on new mission maps then it isn't cool at all.

Also, why are we using a zip-line when we all own perfectly good anti-grav floaters?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
I remember back when I played SWTOR, there was a grapple gun you could get, which you needed to get some collectibles. Just like what Luke used! Except what it was was there were specific interactables in places, and you had to get in range of the grapple point and click it, and then you'd be sent to the grapple point. So it wasn't really any sort of Just Cause grappling fun, just basically another kind of key.

I suspect this'll be more like that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grapple gun segments will be the new EV suit segments.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Man, the news about a large portion of the Voyager cast contributing voice work to the new expansion makes me mad as gently caress that Garak didn't show up in the DS9 missions. What the hell? Best character, fan favorite, and IMDB indicates Robinson hasn't worked as an actor since 2005, so he can't be that expensive.

An intelligence/cloaking-themed expansion such as this one would be a pretty darned good one to frame around a master spy, former member of the Obsidian Order and the illegitimate son of Enabrin Tain -- er, I mean, a plain, simple tailor.

ForgottenHelms
Dec 8, 2005

Absent-minded Smithy
Back after a bit of a struggle with Irish internet providers!
Mobile internet modems in the middle of nowhere do not like STO.
I'd be very appreciative for an invite: Liam O'Murchu@ForgottenHelms

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

eriktown posted:

Man, the news about a large portion of the Voyager cast contributing voice work to the new expansion makes me mad as gently caress that Garak didn't show up in the DS9 missions. What the hell? Best character, fan favorite, and IMDB indicates Robinson hasn't worked as an actor since 2005, so he can't be that expensive.

An intelligence/cloaking-themed expansion such as this one would be a pretty darned good one to frame around a master spy, former member of the Obsidian Order and the illegitimate son of Enabrin Tain -- er, I mean, a plain, simple tailor.

I think they only recently got to the point where they have the money/inclination to hire VA. Remember, Atari tried to bleed them dry.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If they ever do a Cardassian faction expansion, they'd have to get Andrew Robinson to do VA. It just won't work without Garak.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

ForgottenHelms posted:

Back after a bit of a struggle with Irish internet providers!
Mobile internet modems in the middle of nowhere do not like STO.
I'd be very appreciative for an invite: Liam O'Murchu@ForgottenHelms

You're invited to TheNextGooneration.

DataDyne
Oct 6, 2005

Happy as a birb can be.
Time for a gimmick build post, Projectile Edition.

I've been using the Adapted Destroyer, the idea is using 2 cluster torp launchers, the romulan hyper plasma torp and the omega torp, why? because these 2 torpedos fire a lot faster than the rapid reload torp launcher, with doffs reducing the fire cooldown of the cluster torpedo.

I'm still unsure of the aft weapons, for now they are undine torp, cluster torp and a bio neural warhead.

I've currently set 4 transphasic spire consoles in the tac slots, subspace rupture, isometric charge, shrapnel torpedo launcher, spacial charge launcher, the romulan console and the bioneural infusion circuit console in the other slots. The ship plays well enough just a bit fragile, I'm going to be using grav well also, just in case anyone wanted to know.

I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions? the gimmicky the better.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I knew Cryptic was big on freaky math and diminishing returns, but this goes into inverse returns. I thought something seemed weird after the vulnerability locators were accidentally set from 31.9 to 37.5 last week. So I ran some DPS checks before yesterdays fix and consistently was hitting around 13.5 K. After the fix back to 31.9 I tried it again and was getting 19.5 K.

Makes me wonder much of a clusterfuck the upgraded gear will be.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

DataDyne posted:

Time for a gimmick build post, Projectile Edition.

I've been using the Adapted Destroyer, the idea is using 2 cluster torp launchers, the romulan hyper plasma torp and the omega torp, why? because these 2 torpedos fire a lot faster than the rapid reload torp launcher, with doffs reducing the fire cooldown of the cluster torpedo.

I'm still unsure of the aft weapons, for now they are undine torp, cluster torp and a bio neural warhead.

I've currently set 4 transphasic spire consoles in the tac slots, subspace rupture, isometric charge, shrapnel torpedo launcher, spacial charge launcher, the romulan console and the bioneural infusion circuit console in the other slots. The ship plays well enough just a bit fragile, I'm going to be using grav well also, just in case anyone wanted to know.

I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions? the gimmicky the better.

If you're going for gimmicky poo poo, maybe look at the rep sets? Both the Dyson and Fluidic sets have some nice synergy and you could throw the energy weapons on the back if you're going all torp, though you might consider throwing the experimental proton weapon on the front for a bit of shield penetration. Maybe go:

Fore:
Experimental Proton Weapon
Gravimetric Photon Torp
Bio-molecular torp
Omega torp

Aft:
Bio-molecular turret
An omni array
KCB

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Frankenstyle posted:

I knew Cryptic was big on freaky math and diminishing returns, but this goes into inverse returns. I thought something seemed weird after the vulnerability locators were accidentally set from 31.9 to 37.5 last week. So I ran some DPS checks before yesterdays fix and consistently was hitting around 13.5 K. After the fix back to 31.9 I tried it again and was getting 19.5 K.

Means more room for universal consoles in the future :v:

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.
Got a mail this morning in STO from another player with a very long pastebin of the usual zone chat crap. I cut most of it out and reuploaded it onto my own pastebin, because about 30mins later, Xean randomly starts sperging out and disturbs the peace.

http://pastebin.com/iAPRGKuC

quote:

[11:27] [Zone #2] Xean@xtern1ty: You think I'm going to just shut up after being publicly harrassed and intimidated? You've no idea the temperament or the size of the balls the man you been demeaning has. I will take this fight to U.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Violent Kitten posted:

Got a mail this morning in STO from another player with a very long pastebin of the usual zone chat crap. I cut most of it out and reuploaded it onto my own pastebin, because about 30mins later, Xean randomly starts sperging out and disturbs the peace.

http://pastebin.com/iAPRGKuC

"Are you there, goons? It's me, Xean."

Truly a voice in the wilderness.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I like how Xean has embraced, with the full force of his ego, the exact intention that I imagine most of us have for him. Why would I ever want him to stop?

Shine on you crazy diamond.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

FuturePastNow posted:

If they ever do a Cardassian faction expansion, they'd have to get Andrew Robinson to do VA. It just won't work without Garak.

I would settle for Marc Alaimo as Gul Macet!

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I wonder what the temperment of his balls is

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Frankenstyle posted:

From what I understand, enemies got the same upgrades.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Bloke posted:

I wonder what the temperment of his balls is

Rustled, by the sound of it.

Phooch
Oct 18, 2006
"When the full story blows, there's going to be no place to hide."

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
I actually managed to get him and kinsha yelling at each other in his channel last night without really trying. it doesn't take much, to be honest. people are very serious about their public help channels. I had both of them private messaging me going out of their way to detail whatever dumb drama resulted in someone being muted (selendis) in one channel so they muted xean in retaliation or whatever and I really just cant bring myself to care, you know?

the Pixies fukken SUCKED fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 5, 2014

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Smirk's stupid twitch stream gave out a code for the Section 31 outfit, expires tomorrow and must be input to Arc to redeem: mSMCGxsb

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mondian posted:

Smirk's stupid twitch stream gave out a code for the Section 31 outfit, expires tomorrow and must be input to Arc to redeem: mSMCGxsb

Where do you redeem it exactly? The only place I found only lets you redeem longer keys.

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
New code for the uniforms: yTeYv0fy

Just plug it in to the Arc client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

FrostyJones posted:

New code for the uniforms: yTeYv0fy

Just plug it in to the Arc client.