Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Cabbit posted:

I can't shake the feeling Winsbury's about to do.. something.

don't worry guys vegeta's got this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
doesn't vegeta... die? :ohdear:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SHISHKABOB posted:

doesn't vegeta... die? :ohdear:
He comes back tho

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Paz will save the day just like Aquaman :v:

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Brightman posted:

Paz will save the day just like Aquaman :v:

Well, she is the only person on the ship who could talk to Lindsey.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
... Annie could, couldn't she?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

ronya posted:

... Annie could, couldn't she?

No. She needed a translator for that.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Inglonias posted:

What if they both projected themselves into the ether (and Annie kept from looking directly at her)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pretty sure Lindsey understands English perfectly, she just can't speak. Of course, she might be out of audible range of anyone without some sort of aetheric projection.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Inglonias posted:

Less translator, more text to speech.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It's ok Annie, just punch really hard to learn airbending.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The robots are displaying a surprising level of competence, considering in the past they've been beaten with a remote control or an off button. And their idea of security is putting 'totally not a secret base' signs up around their secret base. Although they have shown to be adaptable to their weaknesses, like the remote control not working after they knew about it, and this new tactical application of hard hats.

I'm still kind of expecting the next strip to be Annie just plucking the paper off of her arm and then going :ssj: on them. Since it would be entirely in character for the bots to think of compensating for her fire elemental powers without considering compensating for her human powers, i.e. working hands.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Opposing Farce posted:

don't worry guys vegeta's got this

Cut to dramatic panel of him taking off the paper on her arm

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Rasamune posted:

What if they both projected themselves into the ether (and Annie kept from looking directly at her)

Even in the ether, she can only get Bud's side of a conversation between the two of them.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

BobTheJanitor posted:

The robots are displaying a surprising level of competence, considering in the past they've been beaten with a remote control or an off button. And their idea of security is putting 'totally not a secret base' signs up around their secret base. Although they have shown to be adaptable to their weaknesses, like the remote control not working after they knew about it, and this new tactical application of hard hats.

I'm still kind of expecting the next strip to be Annie just plucking the paper off of her arm and then going :ssj: on them. Since it would be entirely in character for the bots to think of compensating for her fire elemental powers without considering compensating for her human powers, i.e. working hands.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if those papers are intended to seal etheric beings with no means of removing them on their own.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Carrasco posted:

Even in the ether, she can only get Bud's side of a conversation between the two of them.

I forget who said that they read Bud's dialogue in the voice of Bill Bailey, but it's still all I can think of now.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if those papers are intended to seal etheric beings with no means of removing them on their own.

Couldn't they just steal one and put it on Zimmy

boom problem solved

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Something tells me that Annie's going to go nuclear when she finds out where those little papers came from.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
She already knows the court tracks everybody with stuff in the food and whatnot. It would be pretty dumb of her to not expect them to have countermeasures to anything and everything they could possibly harbor.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Annie doesn't really occupy herself with thinking about how the Court views tensions between itself and the forest

or reflecting upon what the headmaster might have meant when he said that she no longer has the support or protection of the Court.

or thinking of herself in the same category as other dangerous etheric beings within the Court, who might be kept restrained and in a cell surrounded by etheric symbols for extremely long periods of time (cough Reynardine cough). And, well, clearly those etheric bonds hurt.

the Court, like the ROTD, feels some obligations toward the etheric/the dead, but that doesn't put them above pursuing assorted cruelties/dissolving them into the ether out of some sense of higher duty. like, perhaps, figuring out to save the Sivo, the dragon that Reynardine posssessed. or attempting to remove or disable the fire elemental side of her heritage via etheric means, perhaps in order to spare her the inherited downside.

having adjusted to a reality of being tracked like all the other students doesn't quite drill in the point that the Court regards her and not her peers as a possible dangerous annoyance that might have to be put down in the future, with the same level of pragmatic cruelty that it treats other problematic etheric beings (to be fair, some of those etheric beings can be quite hostile). She's a teenager, her main concerns are her relationships to her friends, despite living through both the Coyote doing assorted horrible things to her (the binding, the vindictive manipulation...) and being repeatedly warned that the Court has its own agenda.

of course the Court doesn't seem to be aligned with the Crazy Robot Flesh Cult, but obviously that paper script exists and is made available to the Court's clowns labour force.

ronya fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 4, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She no longer has the support and protection of the court when she's in the Forest being the Forest Medium, but the rest of the time she's a student, and I think the court has at least some level of obligation towards their students. They may take precautions, but she's still their charge, not their prisoner.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

BobTheJanitor posted:

...but does that mean, next time, the robots will use paper and a chainsaw to cut off her hands? :ohdear:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

ronya posted:

Annie doesn't really occupy herself with thinking about how the Court views tensions between itself and the forest

or reflecting upon what the headmaster might have meant when he said that she no longer has the support or protection of the Court.

or thinking of herself in the same category as other dangerous etheric beings within the Court, who might be kept restrained and in a cell surrounded by etheric symbols for extremely long periods of time (cough Reynardine cough). And, well, clearly those etheric bonds hurt.

the Court, like the ROTD, feels some obligations toward the etheric/the dead, but that doesn't put them above pursuing assorted cruelties/dissolving them into the ether out of some sense of higher duty. like, perhaps, figuring out to save the Sivo, the dragon that Reynardine posssessed. or attempting to remove or disable the fire elemental side of her heritage via etheric means, perhaps in order to spare her the inherited downside.

having adjusted to a reality of being tracked like all the other students doesn't quite drill in the point that the Court regards her and not her peers as a possible dangerous annoyance that might have to be put down in the future, with the same level of pragmatic cruelty that it treats other problematic etheric beings (to be fair, some of those etheric beings can be quite hostile). She's a teenager, her main concerns are her relationships to her friends, despite living through both the Coyote doing assorted horrible things to her (the binding, the vindictive manipulation...) and being repeatedly warned that the Court has its own agenda.

of course the Court doesn't seem to be aligned with the Crazy Robot Flesh Cult, but obviously that paper script exists and is made available to the Court's clowns labour force.

Err... That's an rather biased view of things. She can't be supported or protected by the Court while she's the Medium of the Forest in the Forest, which is perfectly understandable. And it's not the Court that's tampering with Annie, it's Anthony, who has been AWOL for quite a long time. The Court might keeps more tabs on her than most other students, but, y'know, it's hard to disagree with them considering the extent of her powers, and her rebellious side.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

ronya posted:

Rereading from this link, is that who I think it is?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Fish Noise posted:

Yep that's Eglamore

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I've been rereading random bits of GC a lot recently, and I've been wondering:

Annie and Kat's class is Queslett North, Jack is from Queslett South. Zimmy and Gamma are Chester South. We learned that Foley students mostly are from the forest, and Shadow joined them. Do we know anything about Thornhill, or know any characters who come from there?

Fish Noise posted:

Oh man. I almost thought so too, but on further consideration, she's probably too old to be Jenny. She looks a couple years older than Kat and Annie (as of that old chapter), which means she'd be even older by the current chapter. Hard to tell for sure, though.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 5, 2014

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Ditocoaf posted:

Annie and Kat's class is Queslett North, Jack is from Queslett South. Zimmy and Gamma are Chester South. We learned that Foley students mostly are from the forest, and Shadow joined them. Do we know anything about Thornhill, or know any characters who come from there?

Thornhill, much like Hufflepuff, are the result of needing four houses for your boarding school.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hremsfeld posted:

Thornhill, much like Hufflepuff, are the result of needing four houses for your boarding school.

Nah, it's also because, much like Hufflepuff, you need a place to stick the 'everyone else' category.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Smit's Queslett, Parley's Thornhill. In fact Parley and her cameo friends're the only Thornhill character we've ever seen.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Hufflepuff is NOT the leftovers, damnit!

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

MikeJF posted:

Nah, it's also because, much like Hufflepuff, you need a place to stick the 'everyone else' category.

and much like hufflepuff, when the poo poo hits the fan and annie turns into an evil wizard bent on immortality, they'll be the ones that are hunkered down, working in the fields with their lasercows, with noone paying attention to them

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Ditocoaf posted:

Parley was in Thornhill but I think she's in her last year now which has no houses.

Seems to me like this is the breakdown:

Foley are ex-forest, easy enough.

Queslett students seem to have some sort of special talent, that may or may not be etheric or otherwise supernatural. Surma mentioned 'a predetermination towards etheric sciences' but I don't know if all Queslett students have that or just some. Some, it's obvious, like Annie, or Smitty and Paz, while we haven't seen say... Winsbury or Janette's and besides the spider-derived abilities Jack hasn't really done anything too crazy besides an aptitude for mechanics. Well Jannette's might be archery but ehhh. Kat's got her crazy machine skills, which seem to extend beyond being just like really smart, but there's only recently been indication that there's something super-special about her, so why put her in Queslett well before then? (Or Donny, Jimmy and Anthony for that matter) Can the Court sense potential?

Chester seems to be those who have extreme powers that may possibly interfere with the quality of their life and/or be a threat to themselves or others and/or make integration difficult. Zimmy and Gamma fit this to a T, and the house as a whole was referred to informally as full of 'freaks' so yeah. Surma, Brinnie and Anja were all in Chester but that was a 'mistake' and they got moved to Queslett. So I guess they'd be on the extreme end of Queslett but not crazy enough for Chester?

Thornhill... well Parley's the only confirmed student from there we know- her buddies from the start of Chpt. 35 may have been too and they seemed... probably normal?. So Parley only recently actually manifested a supernatural talent but she had the potential for one. What separates her from, I dunno, Kat, or Eglamore who as far as we know now, didn't do anything crazy until after years of training and Court education? I dunno too many questions. Where's the sorting hat when you need it?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ah, right, Parley! I knew there had to have been someone important, Thornhill didn't feel as mysterious as it would if it were completely unknown.

I'd guess that Queslett and Thornhill are both just arbitrary divisions of the Court's students (like at a normal school with houses, unlike in Harry Potter), while Foley and Chester are the special cases. I doubt that every single student in Annie's and Jack's classes have pseudosuperpowers.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Paz, you better Aquaman on these robot clowns for a comment like that.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Oh, please do prove that dumb tin can wrong. Send in the whales.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well that was an incredibly poor call

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Next Monday will just be a full page of Lindsey ripping holes in the ship as Paz cackles from atop her carapace.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Keiya posted:

Hufflepuff is NOT the leftovers, damnit!

Yeah they're more like the second helping. :laugh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well, Paz is clearly gonna save the day.

Mazerunner posted:

Thornhill... well Parley's the only confirmed student from there we know- her buddies from the start of Chpt. 35 may have been too and they seemed... probably normal?. So Parley only recently actually manifested a supernatural talent but she had the potential for one. What separates her from, I dunno, Kat, or Eglamore who as far as we know now, didn't do anything crazy until after years of training and Court education? I dunno too many questions. Where's the sorting hat when you need it?

I think there may have been a degree of awareness of Kat's special scientific skills, enough to try putting her in Queslett. Eglamore... who knows, maybe he was physically notable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

MikeJF posted:

Well, Paz is clearly gonna save the day.

I think there may have been a degree of awareness of Kat's special scientific skills, enough to try putting her in Queslett. Eglamore... who knows, maybe he was physically notable.

Eglamore was brought in by Jones wasn't he? That would give him a certain Je ne sais quoi to warrant going into Queslett.