Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Fluo posted:

British human rights investigators disappear in Qatar, after being followed by plain clothes police
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ce-9709804.html

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
The bit where it says Amnesty Int and the Filipino Gov have also called for investigations into the police after members they sent to Qatar were tortured while under arrest, pretty much hints how few fucks Qatar gives about resolving this in a way that doesn't make them look like Bond villains.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
What a joke of a country.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
They call it the golden gaols.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Qatar sounds strong and rad, time to go buy a new Barça kit with "Bloefeld" on the back.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

lol

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

:golfclap:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Fluo posted:

British human rights investigators disappear in Qatar, after being followed by plain clothes police
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ce-9709804.html

:wtc:

guessing by the names I'm assuming the Qatar police thought they were escaped slaves

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Is the british government likely to do anything about it or going to allow their citizens to get disappeared by secret police

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

tekz posted:

Is the british government likely to do anything about it or going to allow their citizens to get disappeared by secret police

You say that like the UK weren't actively helping Qatar

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4851478.stm

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Just in: a member of FIFA's financial watchdog committee got arrested for defrauding a hospital.

RTE Sport posted:

Canover Watson, a businessman from the Cayman Islands and vice-president of the Caribbean Football Union, has denied the allegations.

Watson sits on FIFA's audit and compliance committee, a body set up in 2012 to "ensure the completeness and reliability" of the world governing body's finances. He is a close friend of FIFA vice-president Jeffrey Webb, a fellow Cayman Islands resident and the president of the CONCACAF confederation of countries from central and North America and the Caribbean.

The 43-year-old was arrested by officers from the Royal Cayman Islands Police Anti-Corruption Unit and has been released on bail to report back to police on 29 September.

The arrest follows following a police investigation into a hospital swipe-card billing system in the Cayman Islands.

According to a police statement, Watson's arrest was for "suspicion of breach of trust contrary to section 13 of the Cayman Islands Anti-Corruption Law, as well as abuse of public office... and conflict of interest", as well as "suspicion of money laundering contrary to section 133 of the Proceeds of Crime Law".

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Can't believe FIFA was sending so little his way that he had to get involved in a non-FIFA scam.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Troy Queef posted:

Just in: a member of FIFA's financial watchdog committee got arrested for defrauding a hospital.

I know that when I need an expert on financial malfeasance, I go straight to the Cayman Islands

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Call me cynical but maybe this dude was doing his job and FIFA set him up?

I don't even know what to think anymore.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I dont really know where to put this but Platini wants to ban Ribery for three UEFA matches for every fixture of the French national team that he doesn't show up to.

:psyduck:

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

ephex posted:

I dont really know where to put this but Platini wants to ban Ribery for three UEFA matches for every fixture of the French national team that he doesn't show up to.

:psyduck:

while I agree he retired early its 100% up to him

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

quote:

This is defined in the Fifa statutes. If he does not come, he is suspended for three games with Bayern Munich. I don't understand him anyway. He is French, the European Championship in 2016 will take place in France!"

Platini

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
What he actually said is that if Deschamps calls him up he will have to go. So basically nothing will happen since you have to figure that Ribery already talked to Deschamps about this when he retired.

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
Deschamps should call up Platini instead.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Well, Qatar's at least admitted that they actually have them in custody now.

quote:

Qatar's foreign ministry said on Saturday, in its first comment on the case, that the men were arrested and "being interrogated for having violated the provisions of the laws of the state of Qatar," according to a statement carried by the official Qatar News Agency.

The statement said that all actions taken against the men are "consistent with the principles of human rights" outlined in the laws of Qatar, and that British embassy officials have visited them to check on their situation.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/07/qatar-detains-humn-rights-british-workers

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Wirth1000 posted:

Well, Qatar's at least admitted that they actually have them in custody now.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/07/qatar-detains-humn-rights-british-workers

I have great faith in the humans rights codefied in law by a country that promotes slavery.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Byolante posted:

I have great faith in the humans rights codefied in law by a country that promotes slavery.

Qatar is perfectly safe if you stay off the roads and don't fall foul of the law, also that it remains out of the rapidly expanding Caliphate

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

corpuscollossus posted:

Qatar is perfectly safe if you stay off the roads and don't fall foul of the law

Common crimes in Qatar include: not being a billionaire, wanting to be paid for doing your job, wanting to leave the country, asking questions, dying of heatstroke, being a journalist, etc.

Common punishments include: indefinite imprisonment, death.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Psstt, hey. Yeah, you.

quote:

Sepp Blatter has confirmed he will stand for election for another term as Fifa president.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I wish he'd go away :( I wish they'd all go away :( :(

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Surely at this point he will have pissed off enough people by promising to stand down and then not that he wont win again?

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Surely at this point he will have pissed off enough people by promising to stand down and then not that he wont win again?

lol

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

serious gaylord posted:

lmao

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I smell a sequel to United Passions

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hes going to be president for the next 20 years isnt he.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

serious gaylord posted:

well you see,

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

The only way we're getting football back is from his cold dead hands.

But not really because someone just as terrible will take his place.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Hes going to be president for the next 20 years isnt he.

hes literally going to die in office because if anyone else takes his seat theres going to be a big investigation and he'll go to jail have to live out his life in the Caymans or something

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Modus Trollens posted:

hes literally going to die in office because if anyone else takes his seat theres going to be a big investigation and he'll go to jail have to live out his life in the Caymans or something

I'm not even sure he's ever going to die

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

I'm not even sure he's ever going to die

they're going to replace his blood with oil money and his heart will just be a bag of mr potato crisps

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

http://www.espnfc.com/league-name/story/2025540/headline?ex_cid=espnapi_internal

So Sepp has this to say about Uruguay holding a World Cup

quote:

And Blatter added: "Uruguay [has a] great history in the game but [is] a very small country. It is difficult for them to host a World Cup. Uruguay-Argentina together? Yeah."

Qatar with it's noted large tracts of land however is good to go

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Redczar posted:

http://www.espnfc.com/league-name/story/2025540/headline?ex_cid=espnapi_internal

So Sepp has this to say about Uruguay holding a World Cup

Qatar with it's noted large tracts of land however is good to go

can't wait for FIFA's official 420 drugs sponsor

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
FIFA World Cup 2026 in the Islamic State

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I see that evil oval office announces a replay system will be tested soon. Yes, let's take the stupid system that ruins american football and apply it to a name with no natural extended stoppages in play, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

joshtothemaxx posted:

I see that evil oval office announces a replay system will be tested soon. Yes, let's take the stupid system that ruins american football and apply it to a name with no natural extended stoppages in play, thanks.

What's his name?