Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Blackula69 posted:

we used imacs in grad school and people would shove their SD cards in the CD slot about once a week

I've done this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

once i wrote a sentence about how with windows live messenger the customer can video chat in full hd. the ms lawyers had me add a footnote to that sentence clarifying that to chat in full hd, you needed windows live messenger. the text of the footnote was effectively the same as the sentence it was footnoting

legal services by Fish and Mech, LLC

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

duTrieux. posted:

once i wrote a sentence about how with windows live messenger the customer can video chat in full hd. the ms lawyers had me add a footnote to that sentence clarifying that to chat in full hd, you needed windows live messenger. the text of the footnote was effectively the same as the sentence it was footnoting
Is Windows Live Messenger dead yet?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

Is Windows Live Messenger dead yet?

iirc every account got converted to a skype account so i think so?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

univbee posted:

iirc every account got converted to a skype account so i think so?

they just let u log in w/a hotmail address now so when someone asks for ur skype and u give them a hotmail address they know ur a luddite who still uses hotmail.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the messenger servers are still up and you can still login and mesenge with a third party client

any official client released in the last few years will refuse to log you in until you "update" to the "latest version" [spoiler: it's skype]

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

THC posted:

the messenger servers are still up and you can still login and mesenge with a third party client

any official client released in the last few years will refuse to log you in until you "update" to the "latest version" [spoiler: it's skype]
they're going to shut this off though

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

a functioning product that always does what its users need it to do, can't let that go on

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Wheany posted:

how in the gently caress?
they must have a lot of panels left over from the netbook era

i actually miss netbooks, they were sturdier and had more actual functionality that i care about than this transformer tablet garbage

you could actually make a pretty nice netbook these days if you used a non-poo poo panel and the new out-of-order atom, too bad that ship has sailed

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

papa_november posted:

they must have a lot of panels left over from the netbook era

i actually miss netbooks, they were sturdier and had more actual functionality that i care about than this transformer tablet garbage

you could actually make a pretty nice netbook these days if you used a non-poo poo panel and the new out-of-order atom, too bad that ship has sailed
Well chromebooks have non poo poo panels and the new atoms/has well celerons/i3s, but not at the same time.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
here's your netbook retard http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air/11

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

bonus: the only not garbage touchpad on a small laptop

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sorry netbooks are $250 disposable shits, not $800 legitimate products.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
im gonna have to recommend not wasting your money on poo poo like a poor person

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i tihnk i'm goin gto buy my dad a macbook air and setup windows in a virtual machine so he can use windows stuff when he needs to or as he learns the mac alternative

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i literally did that so my dad could play the version of minesweeper he's familiar with and it's working great
edit: parallels.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

duTrieux. posted:

i tihnk i'm goin gto buy my dad a macbook air and setup windows in a virtual machine so he can use windows stuff when he needs to or as he learns the mac alternative
Parallels or VirtualPC?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

don't know, is one objectively better than the other? or is this an elaborate trap?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Cardboard Box A posted:

Parallels or VirtualPC?

VirtualPC's parent company Connectix disbanded in 2003, you must be thinking of VirtualBox? VMWare Fusion?

also Paul Furrrottt eats worms

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

qirex posted:

the xbone is out in japan!

wait, here's some happy customers!

that guy on the right looks kind of familiar...

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

VirtualPC's parent company Connectix disbanded in 2003, you must be thinking of VirtualBox? VMWare Fusion?

VirtualBox is open source poo poo, your choices are parallels and VMware.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

oky fine those, just tell me which one is better

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
uhh ive only used parallels and therefore can objectively recommend it over that other thing.
it has lots of fancy poo poo to make the windows apps mingle pretty seamlessly with the OS X apps which is good if you want to use one windows VM and pretty much nothing else

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

parallels has better graphics performance but is basically $50 a year unless you never upgrade OS X.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

duTrieux. posted:

oky fine those, just tell me which one is better

whichever one you use first/at work

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
parallels is also hilariously unstable. get vmware fusion for a dadputer

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

fleshweasel posted:

i literally did that so my dad could play the version of minesweeper he's familiar with and it's working great

microsoft's one killer app that no other os can properly imitate: mineswepper

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

so wacky!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Binary Badger posted:

connectix virtual game station was fantastic. playin gta2 on my g3 imac was tits.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fleshweasel posted:

also i missed this but why not just set up wine for him instead? seems easier to have him double click an icon and have it launch immediately and run natively

i mean wine sucks for lots of poo poo but at least it can run minesweeper

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

also i missed this but why not just set up wine for him instead? seems easier to have him double click an icon and have it launch immediately and run natively

Wine Is Not Effective

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

also i missed this but why not just set up wine for him instead? seems easier to have him double click an icon and have it crash immediately because some special dll hasn't been manually configured or run poorly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it even comes with its own clone that runs on windows 2.0 lol

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
im still using parallels 8 and its working just fine for me under mavericks. its generally a lot better than i was expecting. only problem ive run into is one or two windows games just won't run under parallels because it doesn't support openGL 3, and sometimes programs don't respond the right way with modifier keys, possibly bc i have an option selected where it tries to map osX modifier style onto windows programs? anyway suits my needs

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When you're in your 70s I imagine you desire some kind of familiarity, so you want the windows 7 minesweeper pretty much just.

He tried some app store minesweepers, and I don't know, he wasn't as happy with them so I installed parallels. v:shobon:v

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
tbh minesweeper just doesn't feel right if it's not the one from windows xp and before

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

nobody used floppies at that point so it only gets reported when the meat starts to stink but the heat and dry air sorta turns it in to a jerky sandwich so you have to break it up with a flathead and then pick it out with tweezers

lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

does win 8.1 minesweeper have ads and achievements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

does win 8.1 minesweeper have ads and achievements