Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I play Hearthstone and it's relatively difficult to grief in that game. It's a 1v1 digital card game where you play one of 9 characters from Warcraft, and you can only communicate via 6 emotes, along the lines of Thanks Well Played, Greetings, Sorry, Oops, and Threaten. Each one of these spits out a unique audio clip and text bubble from whatever character you happen to be playing. People will usually throw out a "Well Played" at the end of a match or after you do some awesome combo that wipes out all of their poo poo or combos whatever trickery they were attempting, and a Greetings at the start of a match. Threaten is always the lamest sounding thing ever, and people only ever use it when they're obviously upset that you just cleared out all of their minion

I've started apologizing at the end of matches where it's clear that I'm about to win. This often results in them using the Threaten emote a bunch of times or just forfeiting immediately. It's kind of amazing the kinds of mind games that you can play with just a situation and a stupid catch phrase.

Other than that, griefing in this game is mostly pretty lame. Some people will make their turns last as long as possible, running down the turn timer to the last possible second. This pisses off a fair number of dumb pubbies, but I think that most people are like me and just AFK browse some forums while it's not their turn. What I like is running a deck that locks down an opponent, making it impossible for them to do anything useful. The Mage is a pretty good character for this. I have an entire deck full of cards that A) freeze minions B) destroy minions C) damage minions and then freeze them or D) turns a minion into a useless sheep. Each round, the opponent plays some things, and I either freeze or destroy everything. Repeat for several turns. I trickle my own minions onto the board while keeping their board completely clear or frozen, dealing 1-2 damage per turn and slowly grinding them down. If I lose a high-value minion, then I have a spell that duplicates it into two more into my hand that I can play next turn. This deck isn't particularly good at winning, but people tend to use the Threaten emote a lot more whenever I use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
lol

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

QuarkJets posted:

This deck isn't particularly good at winning, but people tend to use the Threaten emote a lot more whenever I use it

A secrets based version of that deck is actually one of the top-tier decks at the moment, thanks to the Mad Scientist card from the recent Naxxramus expansion.

The 'trick' to griefing people in Hearthstone is to realize that most of the population of serious players go out of their way to grief themselves. They look for any possible excuse to read bad manners from your emotes and/or actions that they almost can't help but get pissed off no matter what you do. A simple premature "Well Played" is usually enough to set them off.

JTG
Feb 19, 2008
to take a steak knife and slice my dick off. I'll start sliding it back and forth along the side of the shaft slicing in deeper and deeper with each successive cut.
This thread has a lot of people fail to realize traditionally griefing is just the act of being malicious to draw out a reaction, and shouldn't be confused for clever gameplay, or someone just getting angry that they were outplayed using clever gameplay.

A good rule of thumb is that nearly all of the SS13 stories are not griefing unless you deliberately poo poo up a server by breaking the rules, preferably fast and horribly so admins cannot fix it. (Which due to how authoritarian the majority of administrative staff in all the servers for that game are gets you banned shortly afterwards, but you ruin a single round badly if you are good at it.)

The EVE stories are all great examples of griefing, considering they are all malicious inside and outside of mechanics available, sometimes juvenile, and generally draw a reaction of "Grief"

That being said, this is a griefing discussion thread, whether its something as simple as teamkilling, calling someone rude names and insulting them for a reason, or hacking; up to something as complex as a large scam and such, you all shouldn't be as sensitive as the people getting griefed persay. (Like those on the receiving end of myg0t's traditional grief that fits the definition of the action in regards to gaming.)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
yeah but no one cares

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
This thread got griefed hard and now the mods are going to have to patch it

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Coolguye posted:

holy gently caress you guys are terrible

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Coolguye posted:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Coolguye posted:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

JTG posted:

This thread has a lot of people fail to realize traditionally griefing is just the act of being malicious to draw out a reaction, and shouldn't be confused for clever gameplay, or someone just getting angry that they were outplayed using clever gameplay.

A good rule of thumb is that nearly all of the SS13 stories are not griefing unless you deliberately poo poo up a server by breaking the rules, preferably fast and horribly so admins cannot fix it. (Which due to how authoritarian the majority of administrative staff in all the servers for that game are gets you banned shortly afterwards, but you ruin a single round badly if you are good at it.)

The EVE stories are all great examples of griefing, considering they are all malicious inside and outside of mechanics available, sometimes juvenile, and generally draw a reaction of "Grief"

That being said, this is a griefing discussion thread, whether its something as simple as teamkilling, calling someone rude names and insulting them for a reason, or hacking; up to something as complex as a large scam and such, you all shouldn't be as sensitive as the people getting griefed persay. (Like those on the receiving end of myg0t's traditional grief that fits the definition of the action in regards to gaming.)

nobody wants to hear about how someone TKed some tards in counterstrike though, so keeping with the more interesting griefs gameplay wise is just fine for this thread imo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JTG posted:

When someone comes in here and shits out a hot steaming "Let me tell you what is and is not actual griefing" that's usually when a mod starts to consider whether to finally close the thread. Shut the gently caress up with this stupid poo poo, no one cares. We just want to read funny stories about video games

:getout:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Coolguye posted:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Sorry if I have to jump on the train with everyone else but...

Coolguye posted:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You guys are great, and I like you. Thumbs up!

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
myg0t powns u

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Coolguye posted:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To try steering this back a bit...

Promoted Pawn posted:

A secrets based version of that deck is actually one of the top-tier decks at the moment, thanks to the Mad Scientist card from the recent Naxxramus expansion.

The 'trick' to griefing people in Hearthstone is to realize that most of the population of serious players go out of their way to grief themselves. They look for any possible excuse to read bad manners from your emotes and/or actions that they almost can't help but get pissed off no matter what you do. A simple premature "Well Played" is usually enough to set them off.

The best part is that, during the course of the match itself, they can only respond with emotes themselves. If you're particularly good at kicking their poo poo in (or draw exactly the card to turn the game around), there's a much more likely chance that they'll try to rage-add you as a Friend to complain about how they "would've won if it wasn't for your P2W Jew gold".

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

JTG posted:

(Which due to how authoritarian the majority of administrative staff in all the servers for that game are gets you banned shortly afterwards, but you ruin a single round badly if you are good at it.)

This was kind of a dumb post and this thread has pretty much gone off the rails, but this particular sentence brought to mind a couple of funny counterexamples from the goon SS13 servers.

The floor is now explosions

A while back, an Arc Smelter was added to the game. This lets you combine materials to create new alloys with properties from both. You can also infuse chemicals into things. If your first thought was, "how many explosions did this cause," congratulations, you pretty much "get" SS13. Here is a picture of what happened when I created a weldfuel-infused shovel and accidentally hit some of my weldfuel-infused glass windows with it.

Whoops!

One of the minerals is called erebite. Erebite is highly volatile and explosive. People used to make themselves explosion-proof erebite-alloyed blast armour and then run around tweaking their own nipples to cause massive at-will explosions that devastated everything around them while hurting them very little or not at all. Yes, seriously. Weaponized nipple tweaking. That was a thing.

Nipplebombing was nothing compared to infinite self-sustaining bombing, though.

See, after discovering that a sufficiently resilient erebite alloy would not be destroyed by its own explosion, people started to get kind of carried away. This culminated in some jerk re-tiling the floors in the escape shuttle bay with sturdy erebite metal alloy. Eventually someone set it off - I think they just stepped on it or walked over it while smoking or something - and welp that round was over. The tiles all set one another off, and each one became an individual Big Bang of eternal recurrent explosions. Everything ground to a halt and the admins were forced to cut the round off and start a new one.

Erebite doesn't work in the arc smelter anymore. At least you can make bullets out of ants and meth to make up for it!!

IT'S ALIVE! It died. IT'S ALIVE! It died. IT'S ALIVE!

There are a variety of highly combustible chemical compounds in SS13, such as napalm. There is also a recipe called Life, which can create weird gribbly meat creatures or a (usually insane and homicidal) randomized NPC human. The Life recipe is triggered by heat once it's mixed together. I'm sure you can kind of see where this is going, but trust me, it's crazier than you think.

One of the Chemists managed to brew up some kind of nightmare potion that created a cloud of flaming Life. This had the effect of spawning an endless singularity of screaming, flaming creatures and people that exploded into an eternal Valhalla of fiery combat. The fucker had somehow made the reaction self-sustaining, so his workplace quickly became an ever-deepening mountain of burning bodies, fire, and screams. As the lag got worse and worse, an admin teleported in to see what the gently caress was going on, and came face-to-face with a vision of Hell. "MY BEAUTIFUL CREATIONS" lamented the immolated chemist, as his murderous children's fiery fists rained down upon him.

It lagged the round absolutely to gently caress and back and basically ruined it for everyone else, but nobody punished him for it. In fact, the admins immediately posted the story to the SS13 thread for everyone to marvel at. Playing a Chemist and creating any kind of laggy hellfoam or hellsmoke is basically griefing in and of itself, but every once in a while someone does something so incredible with it that even the people stuck staring at a laggy, useless Byond client can't help but be impressed. Like whenever someone makes a mixture so hot that it melts space. That happens occasionally.

The Crashwich

Another good example is The Crashwich.

Fractal cooking is a time-honoured tradition of SS13 Chefs. You take six food items (almost anything can be deep-fried to turn it into food), make them into a sandwich, use the sandwich to create a sandwich cake (any food can be made into a cake), slice up the cake, use six cake slices to make a sandwich, etc etc etc. This can create unholy monstrosities that lag the poo poo out of everything merely by virtue of existing, sometimes to the point of causing people to crash out as soon as the game tries to display the thing's exponential name. You will note that the Jay Wolff's buttcake I baked there cuts off after a while - its name was so drat big it overflowed the chat buffer. The buttcake is nothing. It and food like it are pitiful hors d'oeuvres compared to THE CRASHWICH.

You see, there's another life-creating mad scientist chemistry recipe in Space Station 13. It's extremely hard to discover and make, but it has the effect of imbuing any object it touches with life. This creates, for instance, a Living Crowbar that floats around and attacks people. At some point a Chef got the brilliant (terrible) idea to combine the living object recipe with fractal cooking.

Enter The Crashwich. Every time this haunted apocalypse of culinary hubris attacked someone, the game reported its name multiple times. When it charged, when it slammed into someone, and every time it hit them, the chat buffer would once again overflow with infinite recursive fractal sandwich. The entire station was brought to its knees by crippling lag, while anyone unfortunate enough to be present for The Crashwich's rampage would immediately crash out and have to reconnect their client, usually to find themselves dead and/or immediately crash out again because The Crashwich was still wreaking havoc.

The admins rushed to intervene, but were alarmed to find that The Crashwich was creating so much lag that most admins who looked at it were reliably crashing. Those with good enough connections to brute-force through all the lag were shocked to discover that the sheer latency generated by the demon sandwich was causing their admin commands to get lost somewhere in the coding nightmare that is Byond. The admins were trying to delete The Crashwich and failing. Ultimately, their efforts were in vain, and the server went down completely. The admins fought The Crashwich and The Crashwich won.

The admins were apparently so impressed that they collectively decided not to ban the responsible party, but instead to deliver a friendly ultimatum: they would not be punished for causing the server to go down in flames, as long as they never created another Crashwich. NEVER AGAIN.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 5, 2014

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

MyGot people are far better and healthier for the thread than the same 12 people circle jerking to decades old stories of esoteric games they have never played.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

This was kind of a dumb post and this thread has pretty much gone off the rails, but this particular sentence brought to mind a couple of funny counterexamples from the goon SS13 servers.

There are a few more 'legitimate' exploits of ss13 over the years, such as superheating siphons, superlockers, ghost exploitation and the like i'll post as well. Some of which got me this avatar and redtext.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Does anyone have any evidence of the bug that let you name seeds the entire first chapter of Harry Potter?

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Anal Papist posted:

MyGot people are far better and healthier for the thread than the same 12 people circle jerking to decades old stories of esoteric games they have never played.

This doesn't look like content. Is it content? I can't tell. Where's the grief? It looks like you're just making GBS threads up the thread with opinions that do nothing but distract from content. You should probably post content. Have some content, it's Rust(DayZ clone) griefing for sure and it might even be an example of how not to grief. I hope you enjoy. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORxPSXoK4Ss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEJu_JIg2nk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCUXJcByUH8

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I talked with someone SS13 admins lately and apparently one recent escapade involved someone managing to use the entire first chapter of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone as their in-game name.

We also figured out at one point that a bunch of servers running older versions of SS13 parsed HTML on name badges in-game. Cue everyone having massive pink bold underlined italics "GOKU" names that took up half the chatbox every time you did anything that displayed an action.

frodnonnag posted:

There are a few more 'legitimate' exploits of ss13 over the years, such as superheating siphons, superlockers, ghost exploitation and the like i'll post as well. Some of which got me this avatar and redtext.

Frod! You're alive!

Teratrain fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 5, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The floor is now explosions

A while back, an Arc Smelter was added to the game. This lets you combine materials to create new alloys with properties from both. You can also infuse chemicals into things. If your first thought was, "how many explosions did this cause," congratulations, you pretty much "get" SS13. Here is a picture of what happened when I created a weldfuel-infused shovel and accidentally hit some of my weldfuel-infused glass windows with it.

Whoops!

One of the minerals is called erebite. Erebite is highly volatile and explosive. People used to make themselves explosion-proof erebite-alloyed blast armour and then run around tweaking their own nipples to cause massive at-will explosions that devastated everything around them while hurting them very little or not at all. Yes, seriously. Weaponized nipple tweaking. That was a thing.

Nipplebombing was nothing compared to infinite self-sustaining bombing, though.

See, after discovering that a sufficiently resilient erebite alloy would not be destroyed by its own explosion, people started to get kind of carried away. This culminated in some jerk re-tiling the floors in the escape shuttle bay with sturdy erebite metal alloy. Eventually someone set it off - I think they just stepped on it or walked over it while smoking or something - and welp that round was over. The tiles all set one another off, and each one became an individual Big Bang of eternal recurrent explosions. Everything ground to a halt and the admins were forced to cut the round off and start a new one.

Erebite doesn't work in the arc smelter anymore. At least you can make bullets out of ants and meth to make up for it!!

IT'S ALIVE! It died. IT'S ALIVE! It died. IT'S ALIVE!

There are a variety of highly combustible chemical compounds in SS13, such as napalm. There is also a recipe called Life, which can create weird gribbly meat creatures or a (usually insane and homicidal) randomized NPC human. The Life recipe is triggered by heat once it's mixed together. I'm sure you can kind of see where this is going, but trust me, it's crazier than you think.

One of the Chemists managed to brew up some kind of nightmare potion that created a cloud of flaming Life. This had the effect of spawning an endless singularity of screaming, flaming creatures and people that exploded into an eternal Valhalla of fiery combat. The fucker had somehow made the reaction self-sustaining, so his workplace quickly became an ever-deepening mountain of burning bodies, fire, and screams. As the lag got worse and worse, an admin teleported in to see what the gently caress was going on, and came face-to-face with a vision of Hell. "MY BEAUTIFUL CREATIONS" lamented the immolated chemist, as his murderous children's fiery fists rained down upon him.

It lagged the round absolutely to gently caress and back and basically ruined it for everyone else, but nobody punished him for it. In fact, the admins immediately posted the story to the SS13 thread for everyone to marvel at. Playing a Chemist and creating any kind of laggy hellfoam or hellsmoke is basically griefing in and of itself, but every once in a while someone does something so incredible with it that even the people stuck staring at a laggy, useless Byond client can't help but be impressed. Like whenever someone makes a mixture so hot that it melts space. That happens occasionally.

The Crashwich

Another good example is The Crashwich.

Fractal cooking is a time-honoured tradition of SS13 Chefs. You take six food items (almost anything can be deep-fried to turn it into food), make them into a sandwich, use the sandwich to create a sandwich cake (any food can be made into a cake), slice up the cake, use six cake slices to make a sandwich, etc etc etc. This can create unholy monstrosities that lag the poo poo out of everything merely by virtue of existing, sometimes to the point of causing people to crash out as soon as the game tries to display the thing's exponential name. You will note that the Jay Wolff's buttcake I baked there cuts off after a while - its name was so drat big it overflowed the chat buffer. The buttcake is nothing. It and food like it are pitiful hors d'oeuvres compared to THE CRASHWICH.

You see, there's another life-creating mad scientist chemistry recipe in Space Station 13. It's extremely hard to discover and make, but it has the effect of imbuing any object it touches with life. This creates, for instance, a Living Crowbar that floats around and attacks people. At some point a Chef got the brilliant (terrible) idea to combine the living object recipe with fractal cooking.

Enter The Crashwich. Every time this haunted apocalypse of culinary hubris attacked someone, the game reported its name multiple times. When it charged, when it slammed into someone, and every time it hit them, the chat buffer would once again overflow with infinite recursive fractal sandwich. The entire station was brought to its knees by crippling lag, while anyone unfortunate enough to be present for The Crashwich's rampage would immediately crash out and have to reconnect their client, usually to find themselves dead and/or immediately crash out again because The Crashwich was still wreaking havoc.

The admins rushed to intervene, but were alarmed to find that The Crashwich was creating so much lag that most admins who looked at it were reliably crashing. Those with good enough connections to brute-force through all the lag were shocked to discover that the sheer latency generated by the demon sandwich was causing their admin commands to get lost somewhere in the coding nightmare that is Byond. The admins were trying to delete The Crashwich and failing. Ultimately, their efforts were in vain, and the server went down completely. The admins fought The Crashwich and The Crashwich won.

The admins were apparently so impressed that they collectively decided not to ban the responsible party, but instead to deliver a friendly ultimatum: they would not be punished for causing the server to go down in flames, as long as they never created another Crashwich. NEVER AGAIN.

bathroomrage posted:

This doesn't look like content. Is it content? I can't tell. Where's the grief? It looks like you're just making GBS threads up the thread with opinions that do nothing but distract from content. You should probably post content. Have some content, it's Rust(DayZ clone) griefing for sure and it might even be an example of how not to grief. I hope you enjoy. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORxPSXoK4Ss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEJu_JIg2nk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCUXJcByUH8

Coolguye posted:

holy gently caress you guys are terrible awesome

:Edit:

Seriously though I was crying halfway through "The Crashwich"

SS13 stories are amazing whether they count as griefing or not.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 5, 2014

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

frodnonnag posted:

A really simple one that I think is still unfixed:

The AI is a special player on the station that has a large amount of control over the station at the cost of being forced to obey set laws. The laws can be changed at an upload terminal, but to prevent unfunny pricks from uploading laws like "Kill yourself", the AI can cut off power to the room.

Unfortunately for the AI, the upload terminal is designed to be removable. This is because players are supposed to be able to build another one elsewhere with considerable effort to combat unfun/rogue AIs. Because BYOND is a piece of poo poo, though, the default state of the terminal is "Powered on". Therefore, when you place it down and secure it, it turns on, then BYOND checks to see if it actually has the power to be on and turns it off if not. This means that you can just repeatedly bolt and unbolt the existing terminal from the floor, causing it to power on briefly despite the room being powerless.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
http://youtu.be/eDWvVmgzFfA

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

dpbjinc posted:

A really simple one that I think is still unfixed:

The AI is a special player on the station that has a large amount of control over the station at the cost of being forced to obey set laws. The laws can be changed at an upload terminal, but to prevent unfunny pricks from uploading laws like "Kill yourself", the AI can cut off power to the room.

Unfortunately for the AI, the upload terminal is designed to be removable. This is because players are supposed to be able to build another one elsewhere with considerable effort to combat unfun/rogue AIs. Because BYOND is a piece of poo poo, though, the default state of the terminal is "Powered on". Therefore, when you place it down and secure it, it turns on, then BYOND checks to see if it actually has the power to be on and turns it off if not. This means that you can just repeatedly bolt and unbolt the existing terminal from the floor, causing it to power on briefly despite the room being powerless.

This has since been fixed, as have all the following!

Super Heated Syphons.

There once was a glitch with the air siphon item. These items were large bulky things you could only push and pull around, and when turned on, would pretty passively siphon air out of the room and into it's holding tank. You could then pop in a regular tank and transfer it over. SS13, being the ungodly retarded child of Sealab 2021 and Dwarf fortress it is, simulated the atmosphere and ambient gas temperature. Someone figured out that if you 'hotbox' an air siphon by surrounding it with glass on all four sides and turning it on, it would almost immediately siphon all the air out of it's 1x1 cube and then begin to heat up exponentially. If you let it run for 15-20 minutes, or more, the temp of the little bit of gas in that siphon's tank would make walking on the sun seem like a cool day in spring. The radiant heat from that glass box alone would be enough to turn the Toxins (bombmaking) room immediately lethal to anyone not wearing internals.

Temperature of gas also used to have an uncapped effect on bombs. If you took a tank of room temperature plasma and filled it with a tiny fraction of the superheated air, you suddenly had a firebomb that was instantly lethal to anything caught in it's flame. Or if you released a tiny bit of that gas into the hallway, it turned all directly connected areas immediately drop dead lethal. I could cook up this gas and release it into the main hallway, making a good 70% of the station immediately die. The best use of it for me was simply rushing to make a bomb, announcing over the comm system the temperature as if it were a high score, then immediately detonating it in my hands. This would completely erase the entire Z-level the station and kill everyone, Ending the round and Generating a ton of lag, often outright crashing some of the crappier servers.

poo poo like this is now why the game tracks whoever makes a bomb as well as whoever sets one off. The game also now has caps on the temperature of a gas inside a siphon or tank (too high and it explodes or something) as well as a hard cap for bomb radius. The max damage a bomb can do is something like 10x10 grid, a full z level is something like 500x500.

Lag Closet Kleptomania
Mass drivers are a fairly innocent object in SS13. When triggered, they simply launch everything on top of them in the direction they are facing. Someone found out that if you launched a fairly large number of objects at once, while those objects were traveling they generated a decent amount of lag. Some goons got the idea to try launching as many objects as we possibly could and we had a pretty straight forward plan. We would hop onto a server in a small hit squad, and pack away every single goddamn item we could get our hands on into a closet to take away to the mass driver. Some exploits even went as far as to dismantle everything in sight like locusts for even more items. we'd then convene at the mass driver, and launch all the items into space at once. This often wouldn't simply crash the server, it would lock it up for hours, since for every processing 'tic' it'd have to work out moving the several hundred objects one tile over. Personal best of this i've seen it taking a server upwards of half an hour to process all this crap moving one square. Since it was launched into space this meant that it had hundreds of squares on the grid to move, if not an infinite amount.

Ghost Shenanigans
Ghosts have seen a couple of interesting features come and go over the years. Most notably and well known are living players occasionally being able to hear deadchat as well as ghost's fairly innocent ability to rotate objects. For 99% of the objects they can rotate, this serves no purpose. The only exclusion i know of is single pane glass. there's a fairly minor story out there of a ghost getting lucky and murdering someone by keeping them out in space due to repeated glass turning.

My two favorite ghost shenanigans however are the Slot machine and disposals. Ghosts had briefly, thru a bug or intended hidden updage, the ability to stand next to certain objects and click-drag them to trash bins and other similar things like the glass reclaimer, Compost mulcher, and deep fryer, no matter how far away they were as long as they were visible. The moment i found this out, i went out and binned, mulched or removed every single object within view, completely emptying out all the fruit and seeds botany had strewn out, as well as all of the bar's glassware and alcohol bottles. I repeated this for a few rounds before letting the Admins know, laughing as i frustrated those two jobs since they were the most immediately vulnerable.

More recently through dumb luck i found out that if you died or were unconscious next to a slot machine with the sub-window active for it, you could continue to play. In the round that this happened, i died fairly early due to admin gimmicks, and continued rolling as if nothing happened. My corpse laying next to the machine rotting as it merrily chimed away. I immediately let the admins know, giving them a laugh, asking them to return me to the slot machines since a guy was dragging me off to get revived. I then played the slots for the rest of the round, well over 50 minutes, With me hitting the jackpot occasionally and getting stationwide announcements on it.

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 5, 2014

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Enallyniv posted:

We also figured out at one point that a bunch of servers running older versions of SS13 parsed HTML on name badges in-game. Cue everyone having massive pink bold underlined italics "GOKU" names that took up half the chatbox every time you did anything that displayed an action.

please tell me they were also hyperlinks to goatse

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
This is the best Dark Souls grief I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IG9afBRnzo&t=411s

Basically, the AFK guy is standing next to the most important NPC in the game, you can't level without her. He's also wearing a ring that creates an explosion after taking enough damage. The invader was able to kill the NPC through the player, and has basically ruined the game for him.

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Gann Jerrod posted:

Basically, the AFK guy is standing next to the most important NPC in the game, you can't level without her. He's also wearing a ring that creates an explosion after taking enough damage. The invader was able to kill the NPC through the player, and has basically ruined the game for him.

Lmfao thats hilarious.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I've never played either DS, so: D'you mean that any NPCs like her are permakilled if they end up like that? If so... That's one hell of a rude awakening to come back to.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

yes, they are gone unless you start a new game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Regalingualius posted:

I've never played either DS, so: D'you mean that any NPCs like her are permakilled if they end up like that? If so... That's one hell of a rude awakening to come back to.

They're permanently killed (although in DS2 you can resurrect them temporarily for a fee, so while the dude isn't permanently screwed out of leveling, he may as well be). It's also important to note that other players cannot kill important NPCs (hence why the NPC was ghostly), so the only way to kill an NPC is via friendly fire (or hacking, but that's just boring).

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

GulagDolls posted:

yes, they are gone unless you start a new game.

Not true. In DS2 you can just pray at their grave stone, pay out a certain amount of souls, and then use that npc like normal until you leave that area. Dude just has to pony up 2500 souls to revive her each time he wants to level up.

Edit: Basically it's a minor inconvenience.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 6, 2014

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Fibby Boy posted:

Not true. In DS2 you can just pray at their grave stone, pay out a certain amount of souls, and then use that npc like normal until you leave that area. Dude just has to pony up 2500 souls to revive her each time he wants to level up.

Edit: Basically it's a minor inconvenience.

Some of them are permanently dead and some of the functions those NPCs serve are disabled though. You can kill the bird that sells the boss weapons by walking through walls before they talk to it and it won't come back, along with a few others.

g0t_hats fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 6, 2014

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

g0t_hats posted:

Some of them are permanently dead and some of the functions those NPCs serve are disabled though. You can kill the bird that sells the boss weapons by walking through walls before they talk to it and it won't come back, along with a few others.

No? Every npc that actually serves a useful purpose (merchant/blacksmith/levels) has a gravestone. Just go pray, pay up the soul amount, and they function normally.

Edit: Actually wait. There are a total of three npc's that are merchants and don't have gravestones. Thing is those three are somewhat easy to miss and don't really serve a critical purpose to the game.

Bumper Stickup fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0t_hats
Jan 17, 2014

Fibby Boy posted:

No? Every npc that actually serves a useful purpose (merchant/blacksmith/levels) has a gravestone. Just go pray, pay up the soul amount, and they function normally.

Edit: Actually wait. There are a total of three npc's that are merchants and don't have gravestones. Thing is those three are somewhat easy to miss and don't really serve a critical purpose to the game.

I know for a fact that if you kill the bird before they talk to it, it doesnt come back. Happened to me on NG+.

• Locked thread