Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

sleepingbuddha posted:

Has there ever been a university that refused to take money from anyone?

There's actually a few small ones around where tuition is never charged, usually with a requirement that the students accepted spend a certain amount of time per week working for the school. There used to be a lot more around in the same areas where the few remaining ones are, which is mostly the border area between the South and Midwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

...How many B/CS* goons do we have, anyway?

* - it's my home base, at least.

There seems to be a fair amount on various boards. We all seem to congregate to TFF though for obvious reasons.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
So, in a rare moment of people actually talking about relevant stuff on FB, I saw a friend's friend trying to convince him that a minimum wage hike to $15.00 would cause fast food prices to rise precipitously. This link was provided:

http://dailysignal.com/2014/09/04/wage-hike-fast-food-prices-infographic/

And the infographic in question for those who don't want to click:

Note the Heritage Foundation attribution at the bottom. My friend responded by saying he doesn't trust anything out of the Heritage Foundation and that the math is specious at best.

How much bullshit is this whole thing? How much bullshit is dailysignal.com, and what might I be able to add to show how full of poo poo the Heritage Foundation really is?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Even at that egregious overstatement of price increase, that seems like a small price to pay to give people a near living wage.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zxqv8 posted:

So, in a rare moment of people actually talking about relevant stuff on FB, I saw a friend's friend trying to convince him that a minimum wage hike to $15.00 would cause fast food prices to rise precipitously. This link was provided:

Note the Heritage Foundation attribution at the bottom. My friend responded by saying he doesn't trust anything out of the Heritage Foundation and that the math is specious at best.

How much bullshit is this whole thing? How much bullshit is dailysignal.com, and what might I be able to add to show how full of poo poo the Heritage Foundation really is?
Bring it on. I need fewer reasons to eat fast food.

edit: but here in Honolulu a lot of those are close to how things are now anyway.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
It's horseshit straight from the rear end of Ann Romney's dancing horse.

Min Wage labor isn't even close to that amount of cost.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Either way McDonalds and other fast food chains continue to offer new products that are incredibly expensive because of their short runs on the menu, and it's nonsensical to believe they'd make their own base products more unpalatable to purchase with such price increases when they can offer "gourmet" marketing type burgers which are the rage right now, and make it all up on that crap.

They may as well have used loving candy bars and stupid scary RED-Dripping font for the prices.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 5, 2014

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
So a 40% rise after a more than doubling of the minimum wage? Isn't that a good thing? People at $11/hr or less automatically now have more buying power. People at $11+/hr should get paid more than $15/hr because they were higher senority / have better positions. There should be a bouy effect on wages and they won't necessarily get screwed. They only people that get truly "hurt" are the people making much higher than minimum wage where you won't have that bouying effect.

And this is using the Heritage Foundation's numbers which, I would tend to guess, chose the most dire scenario.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lote posted:

So a 40% rise after a more than doubling of the minimum wage? Isn't that a good thing? People at $11/hr or less automatically now have more buying power. People at $11+/hr should get paid more than $15/hr because they were higher senority / have better positions. There should be a bouy effect on wages and they won't necessarily get screwed. They only people that get truly "hurt" are the people making much higher than minimum wage where you won't have that bouying effect.

And this is using the Heritage Foundation's numbers which, I would tend to guess, chose the most dire scenario.

No sorry workers are paid more and then they don't spend their money because working class people are stingy and never spend, they horde it all and expect handouts! The rich support all of society even those who give nothing to anybody!

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

The article shows no real math to speak of. There's nothing there you can really investigate from what dailysignal.com has provided therein. I imagine they probably don't want to expose the math because it would then show how unreasonable their basic assumptions likely are.

Wait, there is a link to the heritage foundation directly:

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2014/09/higher-fast-food-wages-higher-fast-food-prices

I just don't have the mental fortitude to slog through that to find out more.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zxqv8 posted:

As others have pointed out there is no actual math presented to be analysed. Thus I'm going to make the (probably correct) assumption that the graphic maker made the same idiotic error most do on this topic and assumed labor makes up a huge or near total percentage of cost and that profit margins MUST remain the same as before the wage hike.

e: lol and heritage's appendix says that their model is bullshit if managers accept a profit cut.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 5, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zxqv8 posted:

The article shows no real math to speak of. There's nothing there you can really investigate from what dailysignal.com has provided therein. I imagine they probably don't want to expose the math because it would then show how unreasonable their basic assumptions likely are.

Wait, there is a link to the heritage foundation directly:

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2014/09/higher-fast-food-wages-higher-fast-food-prices

I just don't have the mental fortitude to slog through that to find out more.

Somehow fast food workers wouldn't be working like dogs, and will only be working like mules.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

and that profit margins MUST remain the same as before the wage hike.
Well, if they don't, how else are we to convince our glorious job creator overlords companies to do it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nonsense posted:

Somehow fast food workers wouldn't be working like dogs, and will only be working like mules.
Owning a fast food franchise would become less profitable, fewer people would go into that business, the growth of fast food restaurants would slow and....huh? I am failing to see the problem.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Owning a fast food franchise would become less profitable, fewer people would go into that business, the growth of fast food restaurants would slow and....huh? I am failing to see the problem.

Growth of fast food is not going to slow in the United States bub.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

zxqv8 posted:

I love it when these assholes use Big Macs. That makes it so much easier to refute.

$16.88 minimum wage in Australia. Big Mac literally one cent more expensive

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

There's this paragraph right after that lovely bar chart:

The heritage foundation posted:

"The higher labor costs would initially force fast-food restaurants to raise their prices by 15 percent, which would drive down sales by 14 percent. This would force restaurants to raise prices again, pushing sales down further. In equilibrium the average fast-food restaurant would have to raise prices 38 percent.[10] Prices would rise roughly twice as much as the initial increase in labor costs.[11] Total sales and hours worked would both fall by 36 percent. Fast-food restaurant owners would also have to accept a 77 percent reduction in profits in order to stay in business—leaving them with an average profit of just $6,100 a year per store. Otherwise they would have to raise prices to an extent that would drive away their customer base."

That seems like assuming a worst-case scenario all around. Am I misreading it?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nonsense posted:

I like that this graphic indicates workers would make about 32% more money each week due to the reduction in hours being more than compensated by increase in wages.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Good Citizen posted:

I love it when these assholes use Big Macs. That makes it so much easier to refute.

Ah, but obviously that's because it's made up by the profit margins from lower-paying areas! :suicide:

zxqv8 posted:

The very first sentence is complete horseshit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

I remember a radio piece I heard about the $15 minimum wage in Portland. This pizza owner was crying about how he was going to have to raise the price of a pizza by one dollar in this tone like they were asking him to cut off limbs. I was like, that doesn't sound so bad?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zxqv8 posted:

Its retarded because if you follow its logic all fast food restaurants should have closed down decades ago or whenever we last raised the minimum wage.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

I remember a radio piece I heard about the $15 minimum wage in Portland. This pizza owner was crying about how he was going to have to raise the price of a pizza by one dollar in this tone like they were asking him to cut off limbs. I was like, that doesn't sound so bad?
And the other side is, they are getting something for that dollar increase. They are getting happier employees and employees less likely to bolt the instant their situation in life changes.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

zxqv8 posted:

Tons of people make $9/hr! How would they be able to afford the increased prices? They can barely afford a Big Mac as it is.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

computer parts posted:

Nonfederal loans were ~12-13% of all loans around 2001 so that seems unlikely.

http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/about/news_info/trends/student_loans.pdf

Hmm, well, that settles an old question (that is e/n material rather than D&D, oddly enough). Thanks.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

Ah, yes, raising your prices as a response to decreased demand in a market with tons of alternative products. That is a smart thing to do and doesn't conflict at all with the most basic supply and demand graphs these people love to point at.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Ah, yes, raising your prices as a response to decreased demand in a market with tons of alternative products. That is a smart thing to do and doesn't conflict at all with the most basic supply and demand graphs these people love to point at.

I think the standard response to this would be that all fast food places would be raising their prices as well, so they would remain competitive in that sense. Sounds like a weak argument, but I'm not sure how to refute it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zxqv8 posted:

I think the standard response to this would be that all fast food places would be raising their prices as well, so they would remain competitive in that sense. Sounds like a weak argument, but I'm not sure how to refute it.

One place doesn't raise prices and sucks in a shitton of business because of it.

e: Basically its in the best interest of restaurant managers to hold prices as close to their original points as possible until an equilibrium is restored and then adjust as needed. Prices will eventually go up a tiny bit but no where near as the right likes to paint it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The free market reigns supreme and is the only way to have any kind of innovation at all, but adding or changing the slightest restriction will bring it all crashing down like the Hindenburg. Something something Umberto Eco something something

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

Somehow I doubt a universal raising of prices (if it even happened) would change the demand for food very much. People tend to need it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Heritage Foundation's obsession with burger prices has rightly earned the United States the term "burger-land" on the internet.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

zxqv8 posted:

Look at them incredulously and say, "Really?". If that doesn't work, say, "Look, for the moment let's simplify this down to an Econ 101 problem. If one actor didn't raise their prices, then people would naturally flock to them since the products are so poorly differentiated. All things being equal, people will go with the cheaper option. The person who doesn't raise the prices would see a huge increase in their demand and through economies of scale would do better. Everybody knows this, so no one will expose themselves to that kind of risk and raise their prices. And it won't be the end of the world, since we have already seen this play out in places like Australia."

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I just hate how the debate is framed as a big mystery. Like we haven't raised the minimum wage multiple times in the past, and every time the right's doomsday scenarios prove to be bullshit.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
But America is different, you see. Europe can get away with a lot of that kind of stuff because it is smaller and more homogeneous.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Funny how none of you seem to be addressing the loss in hours worked.

Have fun working half the hours with your new higher minimum wage, assuming you still kept your job.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

Have fun working half the hours with your new higher minimum wage, assuming you still kept your job.

Half the hours but more money! Works for me!

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Is that just based on the assumption that the owners of these restaurants would just immediately decide to gently caress their employees six ways from sunday? I mean, I guess that's not that unreasonable an assumption, given how they're behaving right now, but it seems impossible to prove.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Amergin posted:

If those businesses could operate with less hours or less employees then they would already be doing so.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Amergin posted:

Have fun working half the hours with your new higher minimum wage
Considering a $15 minimum wage would be more than double the current one, I'd take that deal.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

hangedman1984 posted:

I just hate how the debate is framed as a big mystery. Like we haven't raised the minimum wage multiple times in the past, and every time the right's doomsday scenarios prove to be bullshit.
Any time that anyone pushes for any sort of reasonable economic reform, it is always framed by the Right as no less than utter insanity, a tyrannical power grab, and the death knell of the Republic. The initial rhetoric over Social Security was almost identical to that about about the ACA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
The protests sparked a gigantic min. wage debate happening on my facebook wall. The arguments against raising the wage fall into these categories:
  • Every dime the companies have to pay out in a wage hike will be passed on to us consumers, so we'd be the ones paying for it anyway
  • I had this one poo poo paying job 20 years ago and I came out okay! (note: the wages they cite are usually right in line with what those workers are making right now)
  • Those poo poo wages should be a motivator for them to improve themselves and go get a better job, but instead they just complain and say they need more! Lazy! Greedy! What happened to this country!?
  • They freely agreed to take the job so they obviously had no problem with the pay offered! (note: 100.00% of the time these are the same people that would deride an unemployed person for not taking up a poo poo job with poo poo pay that was being offered)
I feel like there's some psychological pattern these would all map from.

I've weighed in a couple times on it but it just doesn't end. The whole embarrassed-millionaire mentality of "I worked hard to get to where I am" with the implied "(and therefore every poor person either don't work hard or will bootstrap into success in due time anyway)" is so very destructive.