Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Yeah, well Saturn being unpopular is completely untrue it seems. A lot of people seem to love her despite her lack of presence as Sailor Saturn in the anime and she's looking to be the last senshi to get a wide release for her Figuarts (Which I just got by the way, she's pretty. :swoon:) while Uranus and Neptune (Who I thought were really popular) are relegated to exclusive hell.

Are you sure Saturn is the last one to get a wide release? Amazon has Uranus and Neptune for preorders though they're not sure out till next year. Though they actually cost more to get them any of the previous Senshi. I assume Pluto will be next and then the Starlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Are they not in the TV show and musicals or something? Either way I wouldn't be surprised if this gets cancelled or whatever before we get to the Death Busters. Or the show is cheap enough to make that they can keep on trucking, I have no idea how Toei does things.

No the outers are extremely popular in Japan; ratings dropped when they left in SuperS and the movie + some ovas they released were an attempt to get the audience back.

Once they showed up in the old musicals (uh, 96? Infinity Arc based one) they were in every one, including newer musicals based on the Black Moon arc.

The older musicals are my favorite version of the franchise because after they did their first run through of each arc they started doing weird stuff like smashing arcs together (Stars except Beryl + the generals are revived and around too).

There's also a trilogy of musicals not based on the manga where the senshi go up against Dracula and then biblical Cain, because why not.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Revolver Bunker posted:

Are you sure Saturn is the last one to get a wide release? Amazon has Uranus and Neptune for preorders though they're not sure out till next year. Though they actually cost more to get them any of the previous Senshi. I assume Pluto will be next and then the Starlights.

Exclusives in Japan.
US will recieve them as normal releases thanks to the distributor, Bluefin.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Is there any good way to watch the musicals in the US?

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

a cartoon duck posted:

Speaking of, I couldn't make it through SuperS. It just feels so off it's kinda amazing. At least Stars is good, right? I remember enjoying it a lot as a kid where SuperS was just a fog in my memory until I watched it again.

There are isolated good episodes in SuperS, but the season as a whole is really poor. As for Stars, YMMV. I really dislike Seiya, for being so pushy and continuing to hit on Usagi and nickname her when she makes it perfectly clear that it's unwelcome, and I really hate the extent to which the regular Inner Senshi are reduced to Three Lights groupies who somehow aren't very capable in battle any more, despite being an incredibly experienced and effective team who have saved their planet from ruin multiple times by now.
You know that scene in Buffy the Vampire Slayer where the Watcher Council shows up and tries to take over and derides the Scooby Gang for being a bunch of rag-tag misfit teenagers, and Buffy gets steamed and makes a big speech about everything they've achieved without any intervention from the Watchers, and they deserve to be treated with respect? The Inners never made a speech like that, either to the Outer Senshi or the Starlights, when they showed up with their insulting and inaccurate 'you guys are not hardcore and you cannot cope with real danger' bullcrap. And I always wished they would, especially in Stars.

Like, Minako steps up and says 'Excuse you? We have been doing this since junior high. And I had to do it all on my own with only a magic talking cat to help. Ami is like the smartest person on the planet. Rei and Mako could both fight monsters even before they transformed. And Usagi, well, we love Usagi. We have died and been resurrected at least twice that I can remember. We've fought and defeated evil from the past, evil from the future, and a Class IV Eldritch Abomination - Ami faxed the details to the experts at Miskatonic U and they confirmed it. And then there was the whole thing with the spooky circus and the magic horse that I'm not even going to go into, but where were you when that poo poo was going down? What have you done that gives you the right to look down on us? Oh, your planet was destroyed and you couldn't stop it? I think that actually makes us better than you. Either you treat us with respect, because we have drat well earned it, or you can take your West Side Story finger-snaps and your kinky boots and get the hell out of town.'

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Is there any good way to watch the musicals in the US?

If you mean legal and above-board way, no. They haven't been licensed for distribution outside Japan. If you are okay with downloading torrents or watching streaming videos of recorded performances, a little light Googling for 'sailor moon musicals' and/or 'sera myu' should get you what you want. Of course I couldn't possibly endorse such a course of action.

Dove from Above fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 28, 2014

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Here, have a Mercury and Mars each done by the same artist.

:swoon:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Why are they making Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff faces?

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
That's pretty much Usagi's expression on Crystal tho

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's something super creepy about those faces.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I dig them. Man, folks are super-critical of anything involving Sailor Moon nowadays.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I just hope mars gets her scoliosis checked on.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I dig them. Man, folks are super-critical of anything involving Sailor Moon nowadays.

It's the eyes. If you're going to try for a more realistic style you can't gently caress up the eyes, but they did.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Rodyle posted:

It's the eyes. If you're going to try for a more realistic style you can't gently caress up the eyes, but they did.

The eyes are fine, it's the mouths. It's like they're blowing on hot food while grinning.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It's semi duckface.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

It's semi duckface.

It's just a misguided effort to make them look more badass.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Viz is doing some kind of stream party tonight for the release of the new dub episodes.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Rodyle posted:

Viz is doing some kind of stream party tonight for the release of the new dub episodes.

Link

denofgeek.us story posted:

FRIDAY, 9/5/14 – 8:00 pm PST: Sailor Moon Dub, Episodes 1-4

SATURDAY, 9/6/14 – 3:00 am PST: Sailor Moon Crystal Sub, Episode 5, featuring the debut of the shockingly awesome Sailor Jupiter!

SUNDAY, 9/7/14 – 12:00 am PST: Sailor Moon dub, Episodes 5-23

MONDAY, 9/8/14 – 12:00 am PST: Sailor Moon sub, Episodes 35-36, feauting the fully assembled Sailor Team as well as the revelation of the Moon Princess.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

What a time to be alive.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also a slumber party, so make sure to wear your jammies.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also a slumber party, so make sure to wear your jammies.

Im a guy so am i not allowed to join in

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Smoking Crow posted:

Just shove some melons under your shirt and we'll sneak you in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Us boys have to go into the cootie quarantine in the corner.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am a Canadian so this is a pretty big "screw you" to me. I can't watch it.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Wasn't there some site that let you watch Hulu or whatever regardless of where you were in the world?

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Wasn't there some site that let you watch Hulu or whatever regardless of where you were in the world?

Use a web proxy.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

whoever story-boarded and/or animated the nehellenia arc of stars had an unhealthy fixation on upskirt shots

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know what you mean.
It blows hardcore. I know proxy services exist and all. But it shouldn't have to be that much of a hassle.

It's also a tad weird that they're going to upload that many episodes online when the first box set only goes to 23. As well as not coming out until November.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Would it be a good idea to set up an IRC for the stream since commenting on Youtube streams is awful?

Edit: Screw it, #moonprism on synirc if anyone's interested.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 6, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

gently caress. Hulu.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

Would it be a good idea to set up an IRC for the stream since commenting on Youtube streams is awful?

Edit: Screw it, #moonprism on synirc if anyone's interested.

Do you know how to speed up the chat?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
:swoon:Shimmery!:swoon:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The bad guys targeted men this time. That was pretty progressive of them.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

MonsterEnvy posted:

Install Hola Unblocker. It's a browser extension that basically does all the proxy work for you.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Command Ant posted:

The bad guys targeted men this time. That was pretty progressive of them.
Between that and this:

it was a banner episode for misandry :getin:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
Man, that was so much better than the last few episodes it's like a whole different show. Maybe they should take 3 weeks between every episode if it helps so much.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Animation guffs aside. I thought this was a pretty good episode. (Well, maybe i'm biased because of Mako-chan. :syoon:)

I'll have to rewatch it though, it was sort of hard to hear on my phone.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Animation guffs aside. I thought this was a pretty good episode. (Well, maybe i'm biased because of Mako-chan. :syoon:)

I'll have to rewatch it though, it was sort of hard to hear on my phone.

I feel like the animation's gotten a lot more consistent this time around. There were some bad drops here and there, but it didn't detract from the story at all, which was also really cute(to be expected anyway, it's Jupiter's debut). I also feel like Ami Koshimizu was perfect for this role; she pretty much voiced Makoto like Ryuko from Kill la Kill with a little more femininity and no rough accent.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Aku posted:

I feel like the animation's gotten a lot more consistent this time around. There were some bad drops here and there, but it didn't detract from the story at all, which was also really cute(to be expected anyway, it's Jupiter's debut). I also feel like Ami Koshimizu was perfect for this role; she pretty much voiced Makoto like Ryuko from Kill la Kill with a little more femininity and no rough accent.

That's what I meant. There was at least nothing on the level of "Melting Face Ami" in this ep, and nothing stood out to me (except the henshins which might as well have come from another show).

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Mako-chan owned the youma! :syoon:

This episode owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay, so I'm watching Crystal from the beginning, and I'm not sure which is worse: Mamoru in the original series having 90s as hell purple pleated pants, or him literally wearing a tuxedo everywhere.

• Locked thread