Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If you haven't seen the full photo series of this incident, I highly recommend doing so. When viewed chronologically it's horns.aiff in visual form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

"I can't afford to give my employees health insurance," said Papa John while being interviewed on the literal 18-hole golf course that is his back yard.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

"I can't afford to give my employees health insurance," said Papa John while being interviewed on the literal 18-hole golf course that is his back yard.

And then he raised prices anyways to cover the health insurance he's not giving his workers.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Armed border militia confronts conservationists counting bats

quote:

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - It was a case of mistaken identity that, authorities say, could have gone very wrong.

Authorities say, apparently, a group of heavily-armed border militia members mistook conservationists researching bats for illegal immigrants or smugglers. It happened Aug. 23 in the Gardner Canyon area near Sonoita where the small group of conservationists was out in the middle of the night conducting a wildlife population survey, in this case, counting bats. Nobody was hurt during the confrontation, but the incident has law enforcement taking notice.

Santa Cruz County Sheriff Tony Estrada say the militiamen were on ATVs. They were carrying weapons and were wearing camouflage. "Obviously, they mistook them for smugglers or illegal entrants," says Santa Cruz County Sheriff Tony Estrada. "They were armed. They put a spotlight on them." The conservationists filed a report with the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Department. The encounter with the militia group, apparently from Colorado, happened near Sonoita where people camp and hike and hunt. Estrada says one of the militiamen apologized to the group of conservationists, who apparently did not want to hear it. "Of course, they weren't very receptive about the apology. They actually told them that's something you should not be doing. There's danger out there.There's other groups of people in campsites," Estrada says.

Sheriff Estrada says Santa Cruz County does not welcome border militia groups. "These people that are completely out of their environment. They really don't know the area. They don't know the terrain. They have little knowledge of the dynamics of the border. So it can be a real problem," Estrada says. "We really don't want them here. It can be a problem for them. It can be a problem for the people, just like in this particular case. Things could have gone terribly wrong," Estrada says. "They really don't accomplish anything. They really don't. With about 1,000 Border Patrol Agents here in Santa Cruz County, a little group of any militiamen are not going to make any difference at all. As a matter of fact, they're going to get in the way and they could get hurt. Or they could hurt somebody else."

It seems, before the militiamen realized what was going on, they had called Border Patrol agents who then traveled across the area, merely to encounter people studying bats. In response to our request for comment, U.S. Customs and Border Protection sent us a written statement regarding the incident:

"On August 23, at approximately 10 p.m., Tucson Sector agents received a phone call from a member of a militia group reporting suspicious activity in the area of Sonoita, Arizona. Sonoita station agents responded and encountered a small group of biologists studying bats. CBP does not endorse or support any private group or organization to take border security matters into their own hands as it could have disastrous personal and public safety consequences. CBP strongly encourages concerned citizens to call the U.S. Border Patrol and/or local law enforcement authorities if they witness or suspect illegal activity. Securing our nation's borders can be dangerous. Interdicting narcotics and deterring and apprehending individuals illegally entering the United States requires highly-trained, law enforcement personnel. In all cases, individuals should not attempt to detain, provide transportation or any other assistance to migrants that may be viewed as furtherance of illegal entry. Detaining or assisting an undocumented migrant could result in prosecution."

Sheriff Estrada says anyone who is confronted by border militiamen should call local authorities and report it.
And a first-hand account from one of the researchers, they basically were set upon after leaving a cave at night. The militia were shining spotlights on them and shouting at them in spanish. The researchers were taking cover behind rocks not knowing who or exactly was upon them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why are militias patrolling the border okay in any way, shape or form, anyway? I mean I get it, they have the right to carry firearms and to get together in a group, but their expressed purpose is to threaten to shoot certain kinds of people who they encounter, right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why are militias patrolling the border okay in any way, shape or form, anyway? I mean I get it, they have the right to carry firearms and to get together in a group, but their expressed purpose is to threaten to shoot certain kinds of people who they encounter, right?

Because most of the time they don't get close to doing anything but stumble around in the dark like a bunch of drunk idiots. That ain't illegal.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
Didn't one of these idiots recently get fired on by actual border patrol?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

Because picking a fight with them is not something anyone wants to do, see the Bundy Ranch standoff. It really does suck, and there's the tiniest part of me that wonders if the Bundy Ranch had turned into another Waco or Ruby Ridge if the milita assholes would be as happy to keep trying this poo poo.

The fact that that thought has occurred to me more than once is depressing, and shows just how out of control the militias are.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

fade5 posted:

Because picking a fight with them is not something anyone wants to do, see the Bundy Ranch standoff. It really does suck, and there's the tiniest part of me that wonders if the Bundy Ranch had turned into another Waco or Ruby Ridge if the milita assholes would be as happy to keep trying this poo poo.

The fact that that thought has occurred to me more than once is depressing, and shows just how out of control the militias are.
So, the plan is to just wait around until they murder the poo poo out of a bunch of innocent people, like they almost did just then?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

So, the plan is to just wait around until they murder the poo poo out of a bunch of innocent people, like they almost did just then?
Or elect a Republican in 2016, since apparently America is only under threat when that black guy the person they don't like is president.

Alternatively, wait for the Bundy Ranch Standoff 2 that does end with a Waco/Ruby Ridge type slaughter. Seriously, I hate that "let a bunch of them get mowed down by Federal Agents" is an even slightly plausible way to stop all this militia poo poo, but it "worked" (for a horrifyingly bloody value of "worked") last time. Post-Waco/Ruby Ridge, the number of militias and militia memberships started dropping by a lot, and then of course the numbers stayed extremely low during Bush's 8 years in office.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 6, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Waco compound was in fact set on fire from the inside and there were a ton of bodies found in there that were shot at close range from within the house.

I don't think we can expect the new militias to have the balls to go out that way in a standoff, not least due to lack of actual religious fanatics.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Exactly what crime are they supposed to charge these idiots with? Frankly all we can do is wait and hope no one gets killed or injured.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Exactly what crime are they supposed to charge these idiots with? Frankly all we can do is wait and hope no one gets killed or injured.

Domestic terrorism.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Surely brandishing weapons at innocent people and detaining them for any amount of time is breaking some sort of law, no?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Domestic terrorism.

They're not doing that 99.9% of the time when they drive around a desert thinking they see evil mexicans but it's actually just a tumbleweed.

420DD Butts posted:

Surely brandishing weapons at innocent people and detaining them for any amount of time is breaking some sort of law, no?

Right, and them actually doing that? Fortunately very rare.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

fade5 posted:

Alternatively, wait for the Bundy Ranch Standoff 2 that does end with a Waco/Ruby Ridge type slaughter. Seriously, I hate that "let a bunch of them get mowed down by Federal Agents" is an even slightly plausible way to stop all this militia poo poo, but it "worked" (for a horrifyingly bloody value of "worked") last time. Post-Waco/Ruby Ridge, the number of militias and militia memberships started dropping by a lot, and then of course the numbers stayed extremely low during Bush's 8 years in office.

The fringe leaders have been talking about Waco non-stop since it happened. They see it as a PR failure on their side - that the Koresh cult was murdered by government goons for tax evasion. Enough people agreed, that the Waco approach wasn't an option for the Bureau of Land Management in Nevada. The BLM was outgunned, and calling the FBI would have escalated the militia presence into an insurrection.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Nintendo Kid posted:

Right, and them actually doing that? Fortunately very rare.

Yeah, but for cases like this I think it would be good for authorities to go after them to "draw a line in the sand" so to speak even if in the end they are not charged with anything. All it takes is for a particularly stupid and/or belligerent group to turn something like this into a bunch of innocent dead.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hey now, there ain't no law against almost killing people.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attempted_murder

Er....

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

straw man posted:

The fringe leaders have been talking about Waco non-stop since it happened. They see it as a PR failure on their side - that the Koresh cult was murdered by government goons for tax evasion. Enough people agreed, that the Waco approach wasn't an option for the Bureau of Land Management in Nevada. The BLM was outgunned, and calling the FBI would have escalated the militia presence into an insurrection.

Walking away to deescalate the situation is one thing. It's been over four months and they haven't even filed charged.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes, welcome to America.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I thought they were threatening to hurt a specific group of people (Mexican immigrants)? Isn't that illegal?

I mean, I'm pretty sure if I was walking around with a gun and a police officer asked me what I was doing and I told them I was waiting around keeping an eye out for x kind of person, I'd be arrested immediately (and probably have a gun pulled on me). And I'm white, even!

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 6, 2014

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

oxbrain posted:

Walking away to deescalate the situation is one thing. It's been over four months and they haven't even filed charged.

Partly because of this, I'm actually inclined to believe the core of the conservatives' story - Harry Reid was doing some corruption and it went horribly, horribly wrong.

e*

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

How about unlawful assembly? They're assembled with the purpose of shooting people, and have caused a disturbance and prevented officers of the law from completing their duties.

Seems reasonable to me. Not blacks, unions, or poors, so probably not though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eNeMeE posted:

How about unlawful assembly? They're assembled with the purpose of shooting people, and have caused a disturbance and prevented officers of the law from completing their duties.

Seems reasonable to me. Not blacks, unions, or poors, so probably not though.

The Federal government doesn't have a law against unlawful assembly as far as I can tell.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I got a question that's been bothering me for a good while. Why do we have a cap on SS taxes for around $108,000?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Interweb posted:

I got a question that's been bothering me for a good while. Why do we have a cap on SS taxes for around $108,000?

Because the current laws would otherwise also continuing scaling up the payouts received by high earners. Capping income taxed was a compromise reached to avoid that.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

SS isn't means-tested. You get out of it, proportionally, what you pay into it, and that cap just happens to be the amount of income that translates into the "maximum" benefit. It's a pretty dumb way to go about doing things economically, but it's believed that the political strength of SS is the fact that most people view it as an earned benefit and not welfare for "those people".

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Domestic terrorism.

Unlawful assembly charged by local police, offer a plea for no jail time with a ban from federal property, have the names passed onto Federal authorities who can then charge with trespassing on federal property if they ever come back.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think if the militia guys actually drew their weapons and aimed them at a person they can be charged with assault with a deadly weapon.

It's been a long time since my firearms training course, so I'm a little fuzzy on the law there...and it may just be an Alaska thing.

site fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 6, 2014

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

computer parts posted:

The Federal government doesn't have a law against unlawful assembly as far as I can tell.

Wouldn't assault be viable for the people who made a bunch of scientists feel rather threatened? I guess they'd have to want to press charges and not just get on with their lives and work, though.

efb

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

eNeMeE posted:

Wouldn't assault be viable for the people who made a bunch of scientists feel rather threatened? I guess they'd have to want to press charges and not just get on with their lives and work, though.

efb

I'm sure, somewhere, there's a law against purposely interfering with federally-funded research.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

*throws down literal, medieval gauntlet*

If you asked me to tell you which decade-old Eminem reference Rick Santorum would make in a foreign policy op-ed, I would probably just stare at you

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 6, 2014

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Aliquid posted:

*throws down literal, medieval gauntlet

Oh snap

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Really Rick? You really think you have a shot in 2016?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Unlawful assembly charged by local police, offer a plea for no jail time with a ban from federal property, have the names passed onto Federal authorities who can then charge with trespassing on federal property if they ever come back.

Unlawful assembly is essentially something that has to be charged right when the thing's happening and the people dispersed or placed under a formal siege-type situation immediately. You don't get to just declare that you're going to charge people with unlawful assembly months on, unless you're already putting them up for some other crime.

Also I'm pretty drat sure ban from federal property is not a valid plea bargain offering for any crimes involved.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Really Rick? You really think you have a shot in 2016?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgrhJSAaYIc

The anti-war, government nig- uhhh..... won't be running.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

His excuse was one of my favorite in politico-speak. "Governmentnik, y'know, like in the Soviet days."

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

Unlawful assembly is essentially something that has to be charged right when the thing's happening and the people dispersed or placed under a formal siege-type situation immediately. You don't get to just declare that you're going to charge people with unlawful assembly months on, unless you're already putting them up for some other crime.

Also I'm pretty drat sure ban from federal property is not a valid plea bargain offering for any crimes involved.

Thats really too bad. Whats the best legal way to gently caress the militia group if they return to the area?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Shoot first? They'll never see it comin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Nintendo Kid posted:

They're not doing that 99.9% of the time when they drive around a desert thinking they see evil mexicans but it's actually just a tumbleweed.

ISIS aren't murdering people during their every waking moment, guess they ain't turrist.

Aliquid posted:

*throws down literal, medieval gauntlet*

:vince: