Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

While the Mario games are on sale I'd like to plug NSMBU. It came with my Wii U when I bought it and my girlfriend and I have a blast playing it together. Throw in a bottle of wine or some beers and it's even better. We're holding off on playing 3D World until we finish this game, but we are having so much fun. I've seen NSMBU get some flak, mostly due to the "New" line of games being samey, but we haven't played a 2D Mario game since the SNES... If you're in a similar situation, play this game!

Yeah. It's come up a couple times on the past month or so but I'll second that. Also with the caveat that the first world or so is really weak, but after that it picks up and is fun and challenging. Getting all the star coins can be pretty tricky and the level design mixes things up pretty darn well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Aurora posted:

Give me Mario Hockey U

Mario Hockoo.

A third Mario Strikers would basically be the best thing. I wonder if there would be some real cool way for a 5th player to use the pad. Like I dunno, tossing poo poo onto the field.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Mario Hockoo.

A third Mario Strikers would basically be the best thing. I wonder if there would be some real cool way for a 5th player to use the pad. Like I dunno, tossing poo poo onto the field.

Press B to chant "Ole"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Stereotypical Mexican Soccer Announcer soundboard. Bonus for selectable voice sets, all Charles Marinet

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Use the gamepad's gyroscope for motion controlled goal blocking

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gutcruncher posted:

Mario Hockoo.

You can at one point in the game run onto the field naked and have to attempt to avoid the security while everyone else keeps playing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Nahxela posted:

Use the gamepad's gyroscope for motion controlled goal blocking

FIFA 2014 actually had something similar. I can't recall if they did it for goalkeeping, but for shooting you could use use gamepad to aim for a specific part of the goal. The longer you pressed that part of the goal, the most powerful your shot would be, with the risk that more power means you're more likely to miss.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Blow into the mic for vuvuzela.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I bought Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 as a part of the eshop sale. If I want to play the games on the tablet, will the tablet always be player one? Does that mean that player two will require a Wiimote or something? Can that be changed?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Morby posted:

I bought Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 as a part of the eshop sale. If I want to play the games on the tablet, will the tablet always be player one? Does that mean that player two will require a Wiimote or something? Can that be changed?

I'm pretty sure whatever you launch it with becomes player one.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

No idea if its technically against SA policy to talk about fan games, but a friend chortled when I asked about New Super Mario Bros - and booted up via SD card his copy of Newer Super Mario Bros.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evu-tUNeUK8

It requires the original copy of New Super Mario Bros Wii, but I'm sure on the precise legality. Hell of a lot of fun though, we ran through the first world together.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Mario 3D World is really fun, although I don't feel quite as...I dunno, awed, as I was with Galaxy when it first dropped. There was something truly magical about Galaxy and the way it carried itself. This one feels a lot like 3D land, which is great and good, and so far the gameplay has been stellar, except for Plessie, but I do find it strange that we have like...themed overworlds, like a desert world and whatnot, but the individual levels don't really factor into that at all. In Galaxy, everything was just space poo poo which worked. Here it just feels like the overworld is a cosmetic trapping that serves no real function.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Righto, I finished my write-up for Steamworld Dig. This review is basically edit-free as far as things popping up goes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZiPEB7XEhk

Basically the game touts itself as Metroidvania, and it has a sleek shell - but it really doesn't deliver at all. It's kind of patronising and awful since I'm pretty sure the developers could have, with just a slightly different design philosophy made it legitimately great.
Also it's got a metacritic score of 82, and a user score of 9.3.
I feel a bit like I'm pissing on someones bonfire here, but the ratings this game has gotten seem patronising. Mutant Mudds is a good example of a 3DS game that doesn't make concessions for being handheld or indie.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dunno, i enjoyed it well enough on Steam. It is certainly short and pretty straightforward but I did not mind that. It was cute and fun most of the time and I have already been thinking about running through it again sometime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheRam posted:

Righto, I finished my write-up for Steamworld Dig. This review is basically edit-free as far as things popping up goes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZiPEB7XEhk

Basically the game touts itself as Metroidvania, and it has a sleek shell - but it really doesn't deliver at all. It's kind of patronising and awful since I'm pretty sure the developers could have, with just a slightly different design philosophy made it legitimately great.
I feel a bit like I'm pissing on someones bonfire here, but the ratings this game has gotten seem patronising. Mutant Mudds is a good example of a 3DS game that doesn't make concessions for being handheld or indie.

I'm not really sure what you mean by patronizing and I don't think it is the word you mean.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really sure what you mean by patronizing and I don't think it is the word you mean.

No, it is - I think indie games are constantly over-rated. It's like they work on a completely different metric where they can get inflated scores based much more on the superficial than other titles, despite the fact that say - in the case of Steamworld Dig - it wouldn't have been unreasonable or difficult to expect them to add more challenging platforming sections and puzzles (optional or not) that had more moving parts or required more steps to be completed or whatever.

Seeing as patronising is synomymous with condescending whether or not I'm articulating it well I'm confident that what I'm saying is legitimate. It's like they say "yep it's got THAT INDIE CHARM coming out of the rear end!" and give it a big score in spite of the fact that it falls short of actually pushing you or doing something memorable.

Ninja edit: I love indie games, there are some that are worthy of tremendous scores and I don't expect the same polish as a AAA title - I am really referring to times when being charming and simplistic with regards to say narrative and art design results in scores that don't match up to what these games do from a gameplay point of view.

TheRam fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 6, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheRam posted:

No, it is - I think indie games are constantly over-rated. It's like they work on a completely different metric where they can get inflated scores based much more on the superficial than other titles, despite the fact that say - in the case of Steamworld Dig - it wouldn't have been unreasonable or difficult to expect them to add more challenging platforming sections and puzzles (optional or not) that had more moving parts or required more steps to be completed or whatever.

Seeing as patronising is synomymous with condescending whether or not I'm articulating it well I'm confident that what I'm saying is legitimate. It's like they say "yep it's got THAT INDIE CHARM coming out of the rear end!" and give it a big score in spite of the fact that it falls short of actually pushing you or doing something memorable.

Ninja edit: I love indie games, there are some that are worthy of tremendous scores and I don't expect the same polish as a AAA title - I am really referring to times when being charming and simplistic with regards to say narrative and art design results in scores that don't match up to what these games do from a gameplay point of view.

I really can't figure out what argument you're trying to make here at all. Are you arguing the game is being patronizing? The review scores? What?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Steamworld Dig is definitely a game that got a lot of praise for reasons that had nothing to do with the game itself but that's true of Mutant Mudds, too, probably moreso.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Steamworld Dig is definitely a game that got a lot of praise for reasons that had nothing to do with the game itself but that's true of Mutant Mudds, too, probably moreso.

I didn't really notice the hype train for Mutant Mudds but that's probably because I bought it off a whim and just enjoyed the fact it was brutal. It's not perfect by any means.

ImpAtom posted:

I really can't figure out what argument you're trying to make here at all. Are you arguing the game is being patronizing? The review scores? What?

I think that the game drops short of actually doing anything with all of the great ideas it gets. I can't read the minds of the developers here, they might have been completely at a loss and thought it was complete. They might have wanted to push it out for time, funding or loss of interest reasons. I don't know. I find it a lot easier to be cynical about the critical response the game got, since it's not hard to think of some reasons why you might want to be less harsh on an indie game, or be more prone to focusing on the best bits even if they may not be the bits that should matter most.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steamworld Dig is a game with a fair number of problems. (A short length, not very good escalation of challenge), but I think calling it "awful", especially alongside praise for Mutant Mudds, is a bit much, yeah.

It does an effective job on what is its core design which is rewarding players for delving deeper with increasing upgrades and skills in a light and simple fashion. It is easy to see how they could have made it a more difficult, unforgiving or complex game but it also was pretty clearly not their core intention. I would say that the big thing the game is missing is actually a great element of randomization. The core gameplay design is clearly built along the lines of something almost Roguelike: where each game should theoretically be different. However the core game is so similar that each replay has very little variation and change. Adding more events and a greater degree of randomization would add a lot more value to the game than precision platforming or more moving parts.

TheRam posted:

I think that the game drops short of actually doing anything with all of the great ideas it gets. I can't read the minds of the developers here, they might have been completely at a loss and thought it was complete. They might have wanted to push it out for time, funding or loss of interest reasons. I don't know. I find it a lot easier to be cynical about the critical response the game got, since it's not hard to think of some reasons why you might want to be less harsh on an indie game, or be more prone to focusing on the best bits even if they may not be the bits that should matter most.

Your problem here is that you appear to be mixing complexity and difficult for quality of design. It's not an uncommon mistake to make but often leads to missing out on the 'soft' appeal of a number of games. I'm someone who goes all-in on difficult, complex and challenging games myself so I know where you're coming from. However, that is not the only metric developers design for.

People overlooking flaws versus not considering something a flaw is an important distinction to make. Getting cynical and going 'they're just giving it a pass on (x) because it's an indie title" instead of someone not considering that specific design element a flaw is something you should be careful of. There are unarguably people who give design decisions a pass because they like the rest of the game, but it isn't always true.

In the case of Steamworld Dig, it's clearly designed as a pick-up-and-play kind of game. It was originally released as a 3DS title with the assumption of players picking it up and putting it down for minutes at a time. As such, increased complexity or difficulty is not inherently in its favor. It's very easy to see how the development could have gone in a more complex direction (and I personally feel they didn't go far enough on it), but it is by no means a tremendous failure of design and defining it as awful is a bit much.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 6, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Honestly I think indie games are fairly rated on a different metric because they're usually priced at more of an impulse-buy level and so they carry different expectations. I would be totally satisfied with a charming but shallow game that entertained me for a few afternoons if I paid $10-15 for it, but not if I paid $50-60.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

I don't remember anyone saying it was awful and my opinion is simply that I enjoyed it but felt let down by the way it ends abruptly without me feeling like they fleshed out the ideas. Would you not agree that games try to give a natural feeling that you're growing in power, learning things and applying them to their fullest to create that sense of achievement? I didn't get that joyful release, it just petered out. That's it.

I am saying that for even a 'soft' game, this game falls short of that climax, and I don't believe that they needed to do that to increase the fun of the casual gamer or whatever you're insinuating. You or they might be able to justify the decision, but I disagree with it. That's okay, because this is subjective.

I also think there needed to be more optional content for a game that is about having a chill time and exploring.

edit: oh... your most recent edit says you agree with me but are white-knighting it under some notion that I bashed the game. I posted a review, and I gave a tl;dr of what I didn't like, since people most likely have heard all the good things considering it has scores that are real high on review sites.

Tender Bender posted:

Honestly I think indie games are fairly rated on a different metric because they're usually priced at more of an impulse-buy level and so they carry different expectations. I would be totally satisfied with a charming but shallow game that entertained me for a few afternoons if I paid $10-15 for it, but not if I paid $50-60.

I don't think anyone would even question this. My point was that I thought this particular game scored too high on that metric.

TheRam fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 6, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Well, this is also the problem with metacritic as a review scale. "Is this game worth your money" is something a review has to take into account and a cheaper game, by its nature, is graded softer than a more expensive game because it takes less for it to be worth your money.

An actual critical analysis of a game is something there's basically no demand for and if they were it shouldn't be done in the form of a (x)/10 review anyway because actual analysis doesn't boil down to something so simple. There's actually a lot of interesting things to say about the success and failures of game mechanics but people tend to lose interest in that sort of thing once a game is out, aside from certain diehard communities.

TheRam posted:

I don't remember anyone saying it was awful and my opinion is simply that I enjoyed it but felt let down by the way it ends abruptly without me feeling like they fleshed out the ideas.[quote="TheRam" post="434501938"]

TheRam posted:

Like I said, you may have just phrased this poorly and I misunderstood you. v:shobon:v

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Well, this is also the problem with metacritic as a review scale. "Is this game worth your money" is something a review has to take into account and a cheaper game, by its nature, is graded softer than a more expensive game because it takes less for it to be worth your money.

An actual critical analysis of a game is something there's basically no demand for and if they were it shouldn't be done in the form of a (x)/10 review anyway because actual analysis doesn't boil down to something so simple. There's actually a lot of interesting things to say about the success and failures of game mechanics but people tend to lose interest in that sort of thing once a game is out, aside from certain diehard communities.

Like I said, you may have just phrased this poorly and I misunderstood you. v:shobon:v

I phrased it poorly, you read it with a looking-to-get-butthurt-and-bust-chops slant... Po-tae-to po-ta-to.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

TheRam posted:

I don't remember anyone saying it was awful and my opinion is simply that I enjoyed it but felt let down by the way it ends abruptly without me feeling like they fleshed out the ideas. Would you not agree that games try to give a natural feeling that you're growing in power, learning things and applying them to their fullest to create that sense of achievement? I didn't get that joyful release, it just petered out. That's it.

TheRam posted:

Hey, I think I found something!

But to be honest, you might not be saying that the game is awful. But you're not clear at all to what you referring to when you say "It's kind of patronising and awful". ImpAtom did ask if you were saying that the game was patronizing, but you didn't really answer that question directly.

Personally, I thought the game was pretty light on content, but what was there felt really polished. I enjoyed it, even thought I think I would have been better off waiting for a sale. I'm probably going to go back and replay it sometime.

Edit: Oops, beaten.

TheRam posted:

I phrased it poorly, you read it with a looking-to-get-butthurt-and-bust-chops slant... Po-tae-to po-ta-to.
This is a really silly thing to say. That was a perfectly valid interpretation of your poorly-phrased statement. Actually, why do you seem really aggressive about this?

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 6, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Everyone says its short but I wouldn't know because I quit playing it from boredom.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If it feels undercooked (and I'd agree that it does) it's because it's one of those games that was massively redesigned a few months before launch, so they had just enough time to establish the digging/upgrade loop but not enough time to do anything interesting with it. There are a lot of really obvious improvements that could be made with a sequel, but they've already said the next Steamworld game won't be a sequel to Dig, so who knows when they'll get around to Dig 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If it feels undercooked (and I'd agree that it does) it's because it's one of those games that was massively redesigned a few months before launch, so they had just enough time to establish the digging/upgrade loop but not enough time to do anything interesting with it. There are a lot of really obvious improvements that could be made with a sequel, but they've already said the next Xteamworld game won't be a sequel to Dig, so who knows when they'll get around to Dig 2.

I'm curious to see what they do with it. Milking Dig seems like it would be the safe way to go, especially because the improvements that can be made are fairly obvious and it doesn't feel like the setting or characters are strong enough to draw in the fans for something heavily different.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

kurona_bright posted:

This is a really silly thing to say. That was a perfectly valid interpretation of your poorly-phrased statement. Actually, you seem really aggressive for some reason about this?

Yeah I guess :shrug:

I'm really not aggressive at all, I didn't realise I'd been misconstrue and I got sucked into a terrible derail argument with someone who was arguing against something that I didn't actually say or mean. I'd argue that given Imp's condescending tone I would be justified in wishing I wasn't part of the discussion, but in light of my recent posts I guess that'd seem like I have a complex about being down-talked to, so never mind.

Back to Nintendo?

kurona_bright posted:

This is a really silly thing to say. That was a perfectly valid interpretation of your poorly-phrased statement. Actually, why do you seem really aggressive about this?

Caught you in the act of trying to goad a slapfight, son! Hang your head etc.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm curious to see what they do with it. Milking Dig seems like it would be the safe way to go, especially because the improvements that can be made are fairly obvious and it doesn't feel like the setting or characters are strong enough to draw in the fans for something heavily different.

Dig is actually the second Steamworld game, the first one was a tower defense game for DSiWare that I didn't even know existed until they mentioned it at GDC or some other trade show. Part of the reason they launched Dig on 3DS was because they managed to turn a profit on their DSiWare despite it getting little to no press.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Dig is actually the second Steamworld game, the first one was a tower defense game for DSiWare that I didn't even know existed until they mentioned it at GDC or some other trade show. Part of the reason they launched Dig on 3DS was because they managed to turn a profit on their DSiWare despite it getting little to no press.

Maybe we'll get a Steamworld puzzle game next. Steamworld Puzzle Quest?

TheRam posted:

Caught you in the act of trying to goad a slapfight, son! Hang your head etc.

Well, I phrased that question weirdly, and decided to rephrase it in a way that seemed more grammatically correct to me. I guess it did come off as more aggressive than before, so sorry about that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Shelf Adventure posted:

Blow into the mic for vuvuzela.

2010 World Cup on wii let you shake your wiimote to make a vuvuzela sound after scoring. This is a great feature.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What's the consensus on Shovel Knight? Wii U or 3DS?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

What's the consensus on Shovel Knight? Wii U or 3DS?

Both are perfectly fine. 3DS is portable, Wii U has fun Miiverse integration.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Been playing on the 3DS and the 3D is actually quite good. Obviously it's a 2D game but it gives the levels a good sense of depth.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

BottledBodhisvata posted:

except for Plessie

You motherfuckers. Always talking down about the friendliest and most helpful dinosaur in the game.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

enojy posted:

You motherfuckers. Always talking down about the friendliest and most helpful dinosaur in the game.
Multiplayer Plessie is the devil's work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

japtor posted:

Multiplayer Plessie is the devil's work.

If you aren't able to work as a team, you don't deserve to succeed :colbert:.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Wildtortilla posted:

While the Mario games are on sale I'd like to plug NSMBU. It came with my Wii U when I bought it and my girlfriend and I have a blast playing it together. Throw in a bottle of wine or some beers and it's even better. We're holding off on playing 3D World until we finish this game, but we are having so much fun. I've seen NSMBU get some flak, mostly due to the "New" line of games being samey, but we haven't played a 2D Mario game since the SNES... If you're in a similar situation, play this game!

Honestly, I agree with you on this. The best way to enjoy NSMBU is to take it on its own, and definitely play it before 3D World. It's a really fun and charming game on its own, but as soon as you start comparing it to SM3DW... ugggggh.

I regret not finishing it before moving on to 3D World. Now I don't have the urge to play it again. Oh, and the Luigi hard mode is also quite fun. Really, it's a good game. It's biggest flaw is not being SM3DW. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I love 3D World, but I actually prefer the possibility of competition in NSMBU. I just like that you don't share lives, you have more ways to attack each other, there's less space to avoid each other, etc.

• Locked thread