Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Shouldn't surprise you that German depictions of Count Dracula use the same accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Will a village Rathaus provide a way to deal with an awful landlord? Some kind of Mieterschutzamt or something?

I want to get my Kaution back but I do not want to see or be near my former landlord because he's a psycho.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

reading posted:

Will a village Rathaus provide a way to deal with an awful landlord? Some kind of Mieterschutzamt or something?

I want to get my Kaution back but I do not want to see or be near my former landlord because he's a psycho.

No. Talk to a lawyer.

If you're in a low income situation, Beratungshilfe (for out of court stuff) and Prozesskostenhilfe (for actual court stuff) will allow you to afford one. (Also, losing side has to pay winning side's attorney in case you don't qualify for one of the previous legal aid options.)

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Randler posted:

No. Talk to a lawyer.

If you're in a low income situation, Beratungshilfe (for out of court stuff) and Prozesskostenhilfe (for actual court stuff) will allow you to afford one. (Also, losing side has to pay winning side's attorney in case you don't qualify for one of the previous legal aid options.)
Or maybe the Mieterschutzbund. Their counceling will cost you a year of membership, but that would still be less than a lawyer.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

reading posted:

has your landlord refused to pay your back your Kaution, or do you just don't want to deal with him in any way?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

reading posted:

You don't have to deal with him personally. Just write him a letter and give him your account details. If the Kaution is due and he refuses to wire the money you can then still talk to a lawyer. If he hasn't declined to pay it back yet and you are involving a lawyer right away you could end up having to eat the lawyer fees.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

elwood posted:

You don't have to deal with him personally. Just write him a letter and give him your account details. If the Kaution is due and he refuses to wire the money you can then still talk to a lawyer. If he hasn't declined to pay it back yet and you are involving a lawyer right away you could end up having to eat the lawyer fees.

Ok. Thanks for the details. I'll try this course of action. I assume the only thing a German person needs to transfer money to a German bank account is the IBAN of the receipient (and maybe the receipient's name)?

vvvvv Thanks for the advice, although I sent an email. May have to send a registered letter if I don't get a response in a week.

reading fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 8, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Also send the letter as Einschreiben mit Empfangsbestätigung.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Also send the letter as Einschreiben mit Empfangsbestätigung.

Yeah, do this if you're setting a deadline so he can't claim he didn't get the letter later.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Anybody remember when the various newspaper publishers lobbied for the Leistungsschutzrecht so they could get money from Google despite being reliant on Google's traffic? If you do, you probably also remember that in Belgium Google reacted by just not indexing those kind of newspapers anymore, against which the newspapers cried for anti-trust measures. Obviously, this developement has been anticipated in Germany as well and we now got a glimpse of the Bundeskartellamt's opinion on the matter. (Though thus far Google has not yet removed any newspaper from its index.)

FAZ (Click for article) posted:

Die Anknüpfungspunkte für ein eventuell kartellrechtsrelevantes Verhalten von Google beruhen teilweise nur auf Mutmaßungen“, heißt es in einem Brief des Kartellamts, der FAZ.NET vorliegt. „Das eigentliche Beschwerdeziel bleibt unklar.“

:allears: Almost as great as the time when the music industry lost one of their chief constitutional complaints because they screwed up the entering the complaint before the deadline.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Randler posted:

Anybody remember when the various newspaper publishers lobbied for the Leistungsschutzrecht so they could get money from Google despite being reliant on Google's traffic? If you do, you probably also remember that in Belgium Google reacted by just not indexing those kind of newspapers anymore, against which the newspapers cried for anti-trust measures. Obviously, this developement has been anticipated in Germany as well and we now got a glimpse of the Bundeskartellamt's opinion on the matter. (Though thus far Google has not yet removed any newspaper from its index.)

:allears: Almost as great as the time when the music industry lost one of their chief constitutional complaints because they screwed up the entering the complaint before the deadline.

It seems that whenever a court decides to stick their hand into google's business dumb things arise. The whole "right to be forgotten" stuff is hilarious, and google is now playing the press and the courts against each other.

There are legitimate anti-trust complaints about google, but this probably has to do more with algorithms and cross-promotions of services, something courts seem to have little experience in.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Randler posted:

You can say a lot of things about the German bureaucracy, most of them not very nice, but you can't deny that they have a sense of dry wit occasionally. Some lot of BGH and BVerfG judgments are the same.

That said, I kind of hope that there will be some kind of action against goggle eventually. Their market dominance make Windows in the '90 look like a joke and they have a freighting grip on the most important social and technological development in recent history.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

e X posted:

You can say a lot of things about the German bureaucracy, most of them not very nice, but you can't deny that they have a sense of dry wit occasionally. Some lot of BGH and BVerfG judgments are the same.

That said, I kind of hope that there will be some kind of action against goggle eventually. Their market dominance make Windows in the '90 look like a joke and they have a freighting grip on the most important social and technological development in recent history.

Market dominance unwaveringly leads to gently caress ups, we just have to wait until Google-managers start confusing "having a monopoly" with "are omniscient". Then they'll crash and burn.

In the meantime, I'm relaxing while typing stuff into Google, using YouTube, GoogleMail and whatever else they've bought up I don't know about. I start being concerned when Google raises their own private army or starts inventing their own religion. :v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Personally I will start to be concerned once Google fuses with Kraft Foods and I have to eat Google meals.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Radical Salafists start playing Sharia Police in Germany, not too far from where I live.

These assholes need to get the book thrown at them with extreme prejudice, vigilante justice is a horrible loving idea and has no place in any functioning society :fuckoff:.
Also congratulations on doing your part in making well integrated muslim immigrants look bad, you self righteous morons.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

blowfish posted:

Radical Salafists start playing Sharia Police in Germany, not too far from where I live.

These assholes need to get the book thrown at them with extreme prejudice, vigilante justice is a horrible loving idea and has no place in any functioning society :fuckoff:.
Also congratulations on doing your part in making well integrated muslim immigrants look bad, you self righteous morons.

Nothing of what is described in the article comes even close to vigilante justice, though. They have as much a right to talk to people about what they consider proper living as other religious or political organizations.

So based on the article right now there isn't much of a book you can throw at them. :shrug:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I dunno, there is definitely a precedent to be somewhat suspicious of groups of uniformed people wandering around German cities imposing their ideology upon others :godwin:

For real though, it doesn't seem like what these guys were doing was really that much different from "uniformed" Mormon missionaries wandering around my city (Darmstadt) preaching to people. Yeah it's obnoxious, but that act in and of itself is not illegal. I feel like this group would have been just fine and probably completely evaded notice of the public eye if they hadn't chosen the absolutely eyebrow-raising title of "Shariah Police".

Drone fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 5, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Drone posted:

I dunno, there is definitely a precedent to be somewhat suspicious of groups of uniformed people wandering around German cities imposing their ideology upon others :godwin:

I agree. But German authorities did not have many options to deal with the Antifa's black block or the Insurgent Clown army, which I'll assume you mean when talking about uniformed people trying to impose their ideology upon others. :smuggo:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Randler posted:

Nothing of what is described in the article comes even close to vigilante justice, though. They have as much a right to talk to people about what they consider proper living as other religious or political organizations.

So based on the article right now there isn't much of a book you can throw at them. :shrug:

Now we need someone to test if "get out of my face, I don't give a poo poo about whether you consider my behaviour moral" will, in fact, get them out of your face.

Also the issue is them playing Sharia Police, which implies they have state-like authority. If they wandered around playing Sharia Information Association, that'd be quite different.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Passing out flyers that say "Shariah controlled zone" also pretty clearly implies authority and the power to enforce it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Did they imply any consequences for not following Sharia law? Because that could be coercion. Otherwise, yeah, that might be weird, but not different from any Christian group that informs you how you will burn in hell.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

e X posted:

Did they imply any consequences for not following Sharia law? Because that could be coercion. Otherwise, yeah, that might be weird, but not different from any Christian group that informs you how you will burn in hell.

Sharia law itself has the consequences. Like stoning to death. If you say here is a Sharia zone a threat to your life is implied. And it should be treated as a death threat by law enforcement.

By the way Sharia law has many variations all over the world, but the fundamentalists who want to bring Sharia law to Germany are not the moderate kind.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
One of the biggest problems with these sharia-police is that it will give the far-right way more fodder; pushing more people to vote for groups like the NPD and probably send a few more pissed-off teenage guys into far-right gangs. This is exactly the kind of thing that the NPD likes to howl about, and even though I despise salafis the last thing I want to see is more support for the NPD

Any encounter with these sort of fundamentalist salafis will probably push a fair amount of Germans from the "I don't really like these people" to the "what right do they have to be in Europe get rid of them" mindset. There is already enough intolerance on both sides (German and Muslim), and I have no idea what these guys want to accomplish besides promoting intolerance and potentially getting hurt (when an enterprising skinhead group decides to "Stand up for Germany)."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's exactly the kind of thing the AfD like to howl about as well, almost more so than the upfront Nazis.

That "Sharia zone" bollocks is exactly the kind of rhetoric you see when those call out a national befreite Zone, too.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
This same exact thing happened in London a couple years back btw, probably where they got the idea.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

This same exact thing happened in London a couple years back btw, probably where they got the idea.

and, as a response, drew far right idiots out of the woodwork to do their own wannabe-police patrols.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Imagine some neo-nazis would proclaim a "Reichsgesetz" zone. I dont think anyone would look kindly upon that. The Salafists in Germany have to be fought much harder to prevent them from infesting our culture. If they are not eliminated they will provide fertile recruiting grounds for right wing idiots, who than will do stuff that pushes Muslim youth into the open arms of the salafists, an infernal circle.

Germany generally has a problem dealing with extremist elements unless they are on the right because of our history, but extremists have to be fought on all sides to keep the peace.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Except Antifa. Cuz they're doing good work. Good night white pride!

:colbert:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

GaussianCopula posted:

Imagine some neo-nazis would proclaim a "Reichsgesetz" zone. I dont think anyone would look kindly upon that. The Salafists in Germany have to be fought much harder to prevent them from infesting our culture. If they are not eliminated they will provide fertile recruiting grounds for right wing idiots, who than will do stuff that pushes Muslim youth into the open arms of the salafists, an infernal circle.

Germany generally has a problem dealing with extremist elements unless they are on the right because of our history, but extremists have to be fought on all sides to keep the peace.

Yes if the NSU disaster has taught us anything it's that Germany is doing fine dealing with rightwing extremists while it's really the left that presents the danger.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

botany posted:

Yes if the NSU disaster has taught us anything it's that Germany is doing fine dealing with rightwing extremists while it's really the left that presents the danger.

Because everyone knew it was political terror? Sure in hindsight we can all bitch about the incompetence of the Verfassungsschutz and police, but thats not the point here. I'm talking about organizations that are openly extremist and try to recruit more people.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

It was something worse than incompetence though.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah, uh, gently caress the majority of the Antifa.

It pains me to throw the good apples of the bunch into the same dump as the worst of their shitlords, but yeah. gently caress 'em.
The last time my city mounted demonstrations against the NPD, the unanimous consent after the weekend was "Can you please leave us be and let us run our own demonstrations? You're loving terrible. Thank you."

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The only moral terrorists are my terrorists.

Alternative punchline:
The only moral trolling is my trolling.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

GaussianCopula posted:

I'm talking about organizations that are openly extremist and try to recruit more people.

I thought there was no point in bitching about the Verfassungsschutz?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I always get a good chuckle when European liberals act like they're any better than the US when it comes to racism. The NPD has seats in local parliaments, but this is apparently not nearly as concerning as three or four idiots proselytizing on the street in a major city

Also, from what I know of the antifa yeah political extremism doesn't seem like a immigrant or Muslim thing in particular

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
It's a group of angry looking dudes who probably rarely leave their Mcfit.
I bet at least a couple of women are going to be intimidated and change their clothers/behaviour because of the possible danger of meeting these assholes.

Yeah, that's an issue, because people get beaten up without the police being able to do anything - and these guys know that.

It's specifically not a group of harmless sharia advocates. In certain districts and to certain groups of people, it IS intimidation and terror.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

icantfindaname posted:

I always get a good chuckle when European liberals act like they're any better than the US when it comes to racism. The NPD has seats in local parliaments, but this is apparently not nearly as concerning as three or four idiots proselytizing on the street in a major city

It's not as concerning because most of them are V-Männer anyway.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

icantfindaname posted:

Now come on, you could argue that the entire GOP is racist. But apart from that, if the USA had proportional representation, we could make a honest comparison.

Also, at least from what I can see, there are different types of racism at play. I think generally the average German is more racist than the average American. On the other hand, nobody in Germany is trying to restrict early voting or implement voter ID to discourage blacks or hispanics from voting. Or is trying to specifically cut benefits/reduce the social safety net to screw over the non-white population. I find many of the policies that the Republicans pursue several times worse than what the xenophobes from the CSU are trying to do.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 7, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

icantfindaname posted:

If the NPD getting seats gets you a chuckle, you should look up the quotes and policies of the mainstream leftists party SPD when it comes to immigration and social security. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Any insights on the recent strikes at Lufthansa and Deutsche Bahn?