Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Really happy there's a bunch of Knights to paint. Those Questoris are definitely an upgrade kit (or at least built off of the GW kit; you can see the plastic) and if I can take them in 40k I'll be super content for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

NovaLion posted:

Anyone have a decent idea of what to look for with the new SW codex for a Zone Mortalis list? I ordered the codex but I'm really unfamiliar with all these units.

SW do pretty alright in Zone Mortalis. Lone Wolves are pretty boss, 'cause they're cheap melee beaters. TWC would be absolutely brutal. Both troops choices would be pretty fine, and Wolf Guard/Terminators can be very solid (especially if you're using the alternate detachment that gives them WS5.)

Cataphract posted:

plus the GW kit comes with multiple arm options and bits...

Yeah, the Venerable Dread was very good to me in terms of bits and conversions. Made two Riflemen (RIP, buddies, it's gonna be at least a full edition before you see the light of day again) as well as everything I needed to fix up my Dreadknights and a bunch of other units. Plus, that giant fist it comes with is perfect for giving to a Crisis suit to make Fisto Roboto and his Str 10 AP1 punch.

Moola posted:

Here's some conversions I'm working on; trying to make it so my marine army can count as either 40k or 30k.
*deletia*

I dig that Thunderfire, it looks real solid. The Stormtalon/Primaris's chin and tail look good, but those wings don't quite do it for me. Too square-y, I think. Not awful by any means, but just a tad off for my tastes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Saw a few pictures of some fantasy stuff coming down the line which of course looks amazing as well.

Really can't get over those Auxillary, those guys look amazing.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll probably never bother with the auxilia, but these models are great. Those flanged gauntlets. :allears: The new Mechanicum stuff is fantastic as always too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'll exacto knife fight anyone who says it's not the best looking 40k army.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you'll lose because it's a 30k army

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

you'll lose because it's a 30k army

you'll lose because you've been stabbed

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

serious gaylord posted:

New 30k Mechanicum are quite nice.

That is amazing, AdMech best Mech. But seriously.

Is that a volkite carronade on a knight? Or just some other form of volkite cannon.

Because that's what it looks like to me.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Cataphract posted:

you'll lose because you've been stabbed

An exacto knife is for slicing not stabbing. I have suffered worse injuries putting models together.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Slimnoid posted:

Compare this

to the guy on the bottom left

Very likely, imperial robots are making a comeback.

They already did. Like I said, the Castellax is already a callback to the robots. Also, the name "battle automata" is just a cooler way of saying "robot".

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AbusePuppy posted:

I dig that Thunderfire, it looks real solid. The Stormtalon/Primaris's chin and tail look good, but those wings don't quite do it for me. Too square-y, I think. Not awful by any means, but just a tad off for my tastes.

yeah in toying with the idea of getting some storm eagle wings off eBay and using those.

I've seen someone do it before and it looks like a rad A-10 conversion. I would find a link but I'm phone posting, a and :effort:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Saw a few pictures of some fantasy stuff coming down the line which of course looks amazing as well.

Details?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

TKIY posted:

Details?

I'm not sure what they are here is al ink to the post on Dakka

It's got more pictures

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/3630/574064.page#7180531

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

The hell are they? Haven't seen them before, only recognise the Thallax behind them

Number 3 on that old robot poster. I always loved that model :)

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Hollismason posted:

It's got more pictures

The Skaven stuff there is definitely old. I think that Greater Demon is new, but it's really familiar.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

It's got more pictures

If you're talking about the fantasy stuff in that one picture, those have been released for a while. It's things like the big vermin lord and troll hag.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't really pay attention to much to fantasy. Even though it has a better looking line overall.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

It's got more pictures

Cool, thanks for the link.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Those new 30k models are all amazing. Guess I need to kick my rear end into gear once I'm back home and paint what I have before I get any more of them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mango Polo posted:

Those new 30k models are all amazing. Guess I need to kick my rear end into gear once I'm back home and paint what I have before I get any more of them.

Don't paint too fast, you don't want to die before you make your order and have it in hand

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Holy gently caress those new 30k models. Whoever is doing their designs is doing a fantastic job.

Hot drat the Imperial Army looks so much better than the Imperial Guard:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Don't paint too fast, you don't want to die before you make your order and have it in hand

Only six Castellax, nine Thallax and a small horde of thralls! All in dirty bone white. Ivan already see myself giving up again soon after starting.

BULBASAUR posted:

Hot drat the Imperial Army looks so much better than the Imperial Guard:

Those dudes mean business. Maybe... Maybe FW will eventually do Spireguards. Probably not though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Those guys look great but it's going to be like 100 bucks for a squad of ten.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is it advisable to always have a psyker in your army? I played a game yesterday and my opponent (playing tyranids) just wrecked me with his psyker which was also his HQ. At one point he was assaulting my chaos space marines while also casting a psychic attack on my terminators over the other side of the board, this kept my terminators pinned and unable to do anything of note and tied my marines up in combat. Is this more to do with me being new to the game/choosing a poor army or because psykers as so good?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

It's a hell of a lot less necessary than it was last edition. Deny the Witch is so unreliable that there's no real benefit to taking a token Psyker.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ultragonk posted:

Is it advisable to always have a psyker in your army? I played a game yesterday and my opponent (playing tyranids) just wrecked me with his psyker which was also his HQ. At one point he was assaulting my chaos space marines while also casting a psychic attack on my terminators over the other side of the board, this kept my terminators pinned and unable to do anything of note and tied my marines up in combat. Is this more to do with me being new to the game/choosing a poor army or because psykers as so good?

nah, not really... take a psyker if you want to use one offensively, but defensively it's not too much of a boon to take one or two psykers. You'll get a couple of extra dice which won't really make or break your psychic defence game.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Can you make psychic shooting attacks at one enemy and then assault a separate unit? Is the whole gotta assault who you shot at still a rule?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

CyberLord XP posted:

Can you make psychic shooting attacks at one enemy and then assault a separate unit? Is the whole gotta assault who you shot at still a rule?

witchfire powers are not shooting attacks. You could use three witchfire powers, each at different target, fire your weapon in the shooting phase at a fourth target and then assault (the fourth target).

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Ultragonk posted:

Is this more to do with me being new to the game/choosing a poor army or because psykers as so good?
I think it's just poor luck on your part. Psykers are strong, but Cataphract is right - just bring one or two to play defensive isn't worth it. In fact, in my experience, it's actively detrimental - you're paying points for one or two extra dice and some casts, but if your opponent is really devoted to the Psychic Phase (and Nids often are,) you're likely just going to get Denied over and over.

As for your list, I'm figuring you're playing with what you have - the Predator could be better, but if it is how you have it built, no big. It's not bad for dorking around, and you got a decent amount of things squeeze in at 1k points. You can save a few points here and there, though. Ichor Blood is just generally awful, and you don't need Veterans of the Long War on the Chaos Lord unless you know you are facing Marines and really want Hatred. Same for the CSM squad - since it has the Icon of Vengeance, the extra LD is normally moot. You also don't really need both Meltabombs and the Powerfist on the Champion - the Meltabombs are better versus tanks, sure, but the Powerfist will normally do enough work.

That frees up 35 points. If you keep the Meltabomb on the Champion, just in case, it still frees up 30 points, which can snag a lot of things. I'm personally fond of the Burning Brand - it looks like your Lord is walking, so he can just spew fire out at anything that gets too close, cleaning our hordes and Marines in cover alike.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I hope that Culexus assassin's are better in this edition, mostly because they were always my favorites despite their mediocre models.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Cataphract posted:

witchfire powers are not shooting attacks. You could use three witchfire powers, each at different target, fire your weapon in the shooting phase at a fourth target and then assault (the fourth target).

It was worse because he had already assaulted my marines in turn 3 and so had them tied up for turn 4 which is when he cast on my terminators.

Von Humboldt posted:

I think it's just poor luck on your part. Psykers are strong, but Cataphract is right - just bring one or two to play defensive isn't worth it. In fact, in my experience, it's actively detrimental - you're paying points for one or two extra dice and some casts, but if your opponent is really devoted to the Psychic Phase (and Nids often are,) you're likely just going to get Denied over and over.

As for your list, I'm figuring you're playing with what you have - the Predator could be better, but if it is how you have it built, no big. It's not bad for dorking around, and you got a decent amount of things squeeze in at 1k points. You can save a few points here and there, though. Ichor Blood is just generally awful, and you don't need Veterans of the Long War on the Chaos Lord unless you know you are facing Marines and really want Hatred. Same for the CSM squad - since it has the Icon of Vengeance, the extra LD is normally moot. You also don't really need both Meltabombs and the Powerfist on the Champion - the Meltabombs are better versus tanks, sure, but the Powerfist will normally do enough work.

That frees up 35 points. If you keep the Meltabomb on the Champion, just in case, it still frees up 30 points, which can snag a lot of things. I'm personally fond of the Burning Brand - it looks like your Lord is walking, so he can just spew fire out at anything that gets too close, cleaning our hordes and Marines in cover alike.

Thanks for the tips, I wasn't sure about extra equipment as well as what marks or icons to take. I could have taken a few other things, I was trying to take what I have but I could have borrowed some models. I also have some raptors, hellbrutes some chosen and a rhino, I could have had some obliterates as well. Are the terminators worth their points.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
The Crimson Fists upgrade packs on GWs site. Do they fit on my space mans?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope that Culexus assassin's are better in this edition, mostly because they were always my favorites despite their mediocre models.

They're pretty nuts and gently caress over psykers hardcore.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

The Crimson Fists upgrade packs on GWs site. Do they fit on my space mans?
The Crimson Fists packs, unlike most of the other shoulder pads and the like, are actually scaled properly. I used them on my Fists:

It's a really nice set, and I've got another for when I make up some more Sternguard.

Tonight I bought a new in box Leman Russ Exterminator to use with my 2nd ed Cadians. Then I checked and it turns out it came out in 1999, and it's actually a 3rd edition model :negative:
My authenticity has been ruined

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SRM posted:

Tonight I bought a new in box Leman Russ Exterminator to use with my 2nd ed Cadians. Then I checked and it turns out it came out in 1999, and it's actually a 3rd edition model :negative:
My authenticity has been ruined

Commit Sudoku.

ps. Thanks!

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Ultragonk posted:

Thanks for the tips, I wasn't sure about extra equipment as well as what marks or icons to take. I could have taken a few other things, I was trying to take what I have but I could have borrowed some models. I also have some raptors, hellbrutes some chosen and a rhino, I could have had some obliterates as well. Are the terminators worth their points.
Terminators are a weird case with Chaos. The setup you have on them is actually very good - you can drop the lot, hopefully kill something with the combis, and then force your opponent to either pop the Terminators or see them start rampaging in the back. That being said, you don't generally want more than three in a unit, as Terminators can still scatter (out of range or off the board,) die to AP2 easily, and are pretty expensive. Basically, try dropping in just 3, accept that they will die, and hope for the best. Worst case, you're out 100 points and your opponent burnt a turn of shooting or assault - best case, you murder something important from out the blue.

Oblits are excellent, and you should bring them out if you can. Very versatile, and capable of handling any threat. Raptors are alright, depending on their special weapons - Jump Infantry in general is too costly, and the Raptors are no exception. Still, you can use them as a cheap counter-assault unit or try sticking to cover before flinging them at some tank. Rhinos are alright. Sometimes they give up First Blood, kill two or three models, and pin your squad. Sometimes they keep you safe from small arms and get you to a vital position quickly. Generally, the protection and mobility is worth it, but that's your call. Generally, bring extra tanks to help soak AT so the Rhino can live.

Marks and Icons are really there for fluff in my experience. Take the Fearless Icon (Vengeance) unless you have a theme or God you are following. Vengeance at least turns your troops in Space Marines with Fearless instead of ATSKNF. Nurgle is the best Mark, in general, since it makes your Marines harder to kill via small arms. It's very expensive, though, and the Nurgle Icon is hot garbage, since so many things ignore Fear. Slaanesh is alright versus some armies, but it requires you to face troops where the extra boost of speed matters and for you to be in CC. The Icon, while expensive, is potent - FNP adds a lot of survivability to the squad. Tzeentch is not so great - it's only useful versus AP3 and better, normally you have a better cover save, and the points you spend to save a Marine from getting popped will typically... buy another Marine! The Icon is awful - Soul Blaze is unreliable and the extra wound once in a great while does not make up the cost of the Icon. Last, we have Khorne. The Mark of Khorne is cool - Rage and Counterattack make you beastly in the first round of CC. The Icon is really needed to go with the Mark, in my eyes - Furious Charge is strong, but the ability to reroll a die when charging can make a huge difference. However, you need to be in CC for this to work, so most of the game you're paying a bunch of points for something that may work if you get to grips - not so hot.

Helbrutes are actually pretty cheap, but Walkers in general are sort of weak this edition. They're not optimal - even at a low base cost, they're hard pressed to make back their points. Normally, just taking an Oblit with the extra points is a better call, but Helbrutes can still be made to work. There is a formation that lets you run two units of Cultists with a single Helbrute. The Helbrute gets a 3+ Cover from the Cultists, and grants Fearless to the mooks in return. Might be worth a spin down the line.

tl;dr -
Oblits are worth bringing.
Raptors and Termis aren't that great, but can be used effectively in a niche way.
Rhinos are cool, but be careful with them.
Icons and Marks are pretty overpriced and not so useful. But they're fluffy!
Helbrutes are wonky, but have some cool options.

holy poo poo that's a lot of (bad) words on Chaos basics

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They're pretty nuts and gently caress over psykers hardcore.

Nice. Are their rules in a dataslate or supplement? I haven't really been paying attention to the last couple releases.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Assassins have their own dataslate now. The Culexus is perhaps the one that got buffed most from its former iteration. His special rules basically translate into "gently caress all psykers within 12 inches forever".

Magni fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 7, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Chaos Terminators can be some of the most insane units in the game now since Chaos has access to Sanctic, They can have a 4++ save, Bounce around the field w/ GOI, use dimensional key to unlock the never scatter etc.. etc..

They don't get enough love. There's nothing like charging someone with 8 man unit thats ST8 , INI 5 has a 2+ 4+ w/ a couple ST10 attacks thrown in for good measure and feel no pain.

Seriously, Chaos Sorcerers w/ Sanctic are loving awesome w/ Terminators. It's not even really expensive for a unit It's like 400 points for a unit that has Mark of Slaanesh combi meltas / plasmas, and Feel No Pain.

Oh I forgot to add give your Sorcerers Mark of Slaanesh and so you can cast Vortex and feel no pain away hopefully the Perils test if you do get perils.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Why give a Sorcerer MoS? An unmarked Sorc will still be able to join a squad with the MoS and you don't have to piss away a power on a worthless Slannesh one.

• Locked thread