Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Edible Hat posted:

I count at least two: Allen West and John Yoo.

My mistake.

Also, x-posting from the midterms thread:

Apparently, making GBS threads on the poor and destitute through policy isn't enough for Republicans. No sir, those moochers have to be mocked and degraded.

quote:

A planned fundraiser for San Luis Obispo County supervisor candidate Lynn Compton involving “hobo stew” has become the center of the latest controversy in the nasty campaign for the fourth district seat.

The Compton campaign is planning an Oct. 5 fundraiser at the Oceano train depot in which attendees are invited to come dressed in hobo attire and eat soup dubbed hobo stew. The fundraiser has prompted allegations from incumbent Caren Ray’s campaign that Compton is showing contempt for homeless individuals.

“Are you appalled, offended and outraged by this disgusting lack of compassion for a segment of our county’s population which Lynn Compton is supposedly campaigning to represent,” Ray’s treasurer Kathie Matsuyama wrote in an email to supporters.

Or are people intentionally misrepresenting the meaning and message of this event? You bet, says Lynn Compton.

quote:

But, Compton’s campaign says that Ray’s supporters have drummed up a controversy by twisting the definition of hobo.

A hobo is not a homeless person, the Compton campaign says. Rather it is a traditional American lifestyle that values travel over stationary living and involves work, just usually in short stints. They also noted that this same type of hobo event has been done for years by the Oceano Elks.

“This is no way of disparaging homeless people,” Compton supporter Linda Austin said in an email. “Hobos are part of American lore.”

Those people living in rags, who jump on trains for a free ride (no pun intended) with their few belongings in knapsacks are not homeless. Nope, they're the original hipsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Phone posted:

loving Lolololol

Just drove into Florida and loving Rick Scott has appended his name to the welcome sign along with "OPEN FOR BUSINESS". This state is so awful.

Strange. There was talk of changing WV's sign (from "Wild and Wonderful") to Open for business. It was despised and changed back rather quickly.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Phone posted:

loving Lolololol

Just drove into Florida and loving Rick Scott has appended his name to the welcome sign along with "OPEN FOR BUSINESS". This state is so awful.
Rick Scott is a bad, yes.

You see why the Democrats here are so desperate to oust him that they're willing try and prop up Charlie Crist of all people in an attempt to beat him. Crist has no convictions, but that's better than a man with no morals who should be convicted.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

JT Jag posted:

You trust the jackasses in Washington today to write a new constitution?

Article 1 of the 2016 Constitution: REPEAL OBAMACARE

They couldn't do worse than the founders maintaining slavery, right?

Right? :ohdear:

richardfun posted:

My mistake.

Also, x-posting from the midterms thread:

Apparently, making GBS threads on the poor and destitute through policy isn't enough for Republicans. No sir, those moochers have to be mocked and degraded.

Or are people intentionally misrepresenting the meaning and message of this event? You bet, says Lynn Compton.

Those people living in rags, who jump on trains for a free ride (no pun intended) with their few belongings in knapsacks are not homeless. Nope, they're the original hipsters.

You don't understand, hobos are part of "American lore", they're like legends or myths that depict the prototypical spirit of American freedom and liberty, not an actual thing that exists and is an example of the disgusting lack of empathy for a class of people barely able to survive and symptomatic of fundamentally unjust political and economic systems. :colbert: Like Johnny Appleseed!

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 7, 2014

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mo_Steel posted:

You don't understand, hobos are part of "American lore", they're like legends or myths that depict the prototypical spirit of American freedom and liberty, not an actual thing that exists and is an example of the disgusting lack of empathy for a class of people barely able to survive and symptomatic of fundamentally unjust political and economic systems. :colbert: Like Johnny Appleseed!

Counterpoint: Jack Dempsey and Stanley Ketchel were Hobo Jungle fighting legends that became Boxing legends (at Heavyweight and Middleweight, respectively). Check and mate, LIEberal... :smugbert:

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

richardfun posted:

I'm having a hard time getting up in arms about this one. Mocked and degraded seems like a harsh way of describing a costume theme and main course. Especially when, yes, the objects of the theme are a part of American lore. Now, if someone at the event were quoted as saying how they don't think the rag clothes are that bad, or how homeless people have it good since they get to eat hobo stew every day, that would be a different matter.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J4xu0CuCOw

There's only one person who can stop a bad guy with a gun.

We live under the Drake.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Joementum posted:

In which Quid Pro Cuomo is a dick.

https://vimeo.com/105433950

Took me a bit to figure out why this was posted. Cuomo is being challenged from the left by Zephyr Teachout (the blond woman with the teal business suit). Notice how Cuomo keeps his back to her and one of his goons tries to play interference.

Dickish, but not unusual for politicians.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Old James posted:

Took me a bit to figure out why this was posted. Cuomo is being challenged from the left by Zephyr Teachout (the blond woman with the teal business suit). Notice how Cuomo keeps his back to her and one of his goons tries to play interference.

Cuomo has been more dickish than usual towards Teachout, with I think two court challenges to her meeting the residency requirement to run. I don't, however, know if that derives from any genuine concern about a challenge from the left, or just Cuomo being a bit hypersensitive.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Grundulum posted:

I'm having a hard time getting up in arms about this one. Mocked and degraded seems like a harsh way of describing a costume theme and main course. Especially when, yes, the objects of the theme are a part of American lore. Now, if someone at the event were quoted as saying how they don't think the rag clothes are that bad, or how homeless people have it good since they get to eat hobo stew every day, that would be a different matter.

Would it be okay if they had an event where everyone showed up in blackface and ate fried chicken and watermelon as long as nobody called anyone else sambo or talked about how great welfare checks are?

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Kanos posted:

Would it be okay if they had an event where everyone showed up in blackface and ate fried chicken and watermelon as long as nobody called anyone else sambo or talked about how great welfare checks are?
No, see, those people aren't part of ~American Lore~.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Who cares about lore? I just accept quest and collect phat loot.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Kanos posted:

If there was systematic discrimination against vagrants/the homeless (I'm going to guess that there is a difference between the two) the way there was against black people, I'm not aware of it. So it's a bit of a blind spot for me.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

Who cares about lore? I just accept quest and collect phat loot.

Interesting how the 'gamification' idea is mostly applied to lovely corporate 'scoring' programs where you either stay on the leaderboard or lose your job. It makes more sense to apply it to the economy as a whole with this RPG element.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Guess who's planning a comeback tour after his failed 2012 run!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

My Imaginary GF posted:

Guess who's planning a comeback tour after his failed 2012 run!

Please tell me it's Mittens :pray:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I heard he was back spouting bullshit about "Benghazi coverup" on Fox very recently.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

richardfun posted:

Please tell me it's Mittens :pray:

He's out saying he'd "make a better president than Hillary" today

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

My Imaginary GF posted:

He's out saying he'd "make a better president than Hillary" today

Omg, it's ... the white horse candidate!

ED: He has returned! He has returned! Ring the bells!

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 7, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today is the 50th anniversary of the only time this was paid to be played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

It was one of the first Presidential campaign political ads under 15 minutes, part of a hard-hitting media strategy coordinated by Bill Moyers for the campaign.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Grundulum posted:

If there was systematic discrimination against vagrants/the homeless (I'm going to guess that there is a difference between the two) the way there was against black people, I'm not aware of it. So it's a bit of a blind spot for me.

This is, in fact, exactly what that is! People talk about how "the homeless are invisible" a lot--just like how we're culturally conditioned to think worse of black people, we're culturally conditioned to distance ourselves from the homeless by seeing them as scenery, just handing them change and hoping they go away... Even when there's empathy, it's a really polite and quiet form that doesn't exactly appreciate how awful the condition really is.

Like most forms of poverty, homelessness is near-impossible to actually work your way out of, but made worse. Consider: How many things could you just NOT do if you had no address to fill in when putting in a form? Coupled with the fact that a large majority of homeless are one or more of black, latino, mentally ill (and probably kicked out of wherever they lived because of it), or a GSM (and almost definitely kicked out of where they were living because of it--as a teen, even more likely) and it's just a wonderful shitstorm of an enforced underclass.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Joementum posted:

It was one of the first Presidential campaign political ads under 15 minutes, part of a hard-hitting media strategy coordinated by Bill Moyers for the campaign.

This is honestly still one of the best attack ads ever for how extreme it goes. "We must either love each other, or we must die...........Vote for President Johnson on November 3rd, the stakes are too high for you to stay home"

It's the original "Vote or die" campaign

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Phone posted:

They got that on Virginia's signs now too. No Rick Scott though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

comes along bort posted:

They got that on Virginia's signs now too. No Rick Scott though.

I usually go up through a backroad, so I haven't seen that. I'd much rather be up in VA this weekend than FL. :(

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I saw it on 220 outside Martinsville, which is about as backroad as it gets.

It's a really stupid phrase. Were they closed to business before?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Grundulum posted:

The GOP is coming from inside the thread. :gop:

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Joementum posted:

Vote for Lyndon Johnson, or this dumb child will die.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

comes along bort posted:

I saw it on 220 outside Martinsville, which is about as backroad as it gets.

It's a really stupid phrase. Were they closed to business before?

The one I'm talking about is a sideroad that goes from NC57 to the entrance of Virginia International Raceway. :v:

The only thing I could think of with the open for business is his totally not a scam thing where welfare recipients had to piss in a cup for their check and oh look at that, my wife put in a non-contested bid for it. :allears:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

[mouth] open for business [cocks]

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mister Olympus posted:

This is, in fact, exactly what that is! People talk about how "the homeless are invisible" a lot--just like how we're culturally conditioned to think worse of black people, we're culturally conditioned to distance ourselves from the homeless by seeing them as scenery, just handing them change and hoping they go away... Even when there's empathy, it's a really polite and quiet form that doesn't exactly appreciate how awful the condition really is.

Like most forms of poverty, homelessness is near-impossible to actually work your way out of, but made worse. Consider: How many things could you just NOT do if you had no address to fill in when putting in a form? Coupled with the fact that a large majority of homeless are one or more of black, latino, mentally ill (and probably kicked out of wherever they lived because of it), or a GSM (and almost definitely kicked out of where they were living because of it--as a teen, even more likely) and it's just a wonderful shitstorm of an enforced underclass.

Homeless individuals are also victimized more than other targets of hate crimes (emphasis mine):

quote:

Our Center in conjunction with NCH has found that there were twice as many homeless people killed in apparent bias related attacks than the combined total of every other hate crime category reported by the FBI in the last decade. This anti-homeless data actually excludes some of the other deadly violence that homeless people experience because attacks involving drugs, personal disputes, robbery, insurance fraud and homeless on homeless violence are not tabulated. While there have been many more non-homicide attacks, including rapes and aggravated assaults, the homicide data, which also represents a probable undercount, is considered the most reliable of all offense data.

[...]

The intentional bias based selection of homeless people by domiciled assailants is a hate crime that should be covered by applicable statutes. There are myriad facts to support this contention. A primary justification for doing so relates to the fact that the key rationales for enacting hate crime laws in general also specifically apply to the inclusion of homeless status. First, is the rationale that certain socially identifiable group characteristics relating to one’s actual or perceived identity produce a heightened risk of criminal victimization beyond that of the general population. This is likely more true for the homeless than for many other protected groups. Another reason for including homeless status is the importance of deterring violent bigotry when it significantly burdens an identifiable victim group. Class based prejudice is not only a key motivational component of these attacks; it is actually a more accepted form of prejudice today than most others, thus making its acknowledgement by the law particularly compelling from both a symbolic and deterrence standpoint. A related rationale is that both victim subgroups and democratic society as a whole suffer when socially identifiable status groups are singled out for prejudiced based violence.

There are still many laws around the country that exist solely to target the homeless and drive them out of cities that find them undesirable as well, and this isn't a new phenomenon in America or globally. "In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets, and steal loaves of bread."

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

What does GSM stand for in this case? Google's letting me down here.

vvv Thanks

Chard fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 7, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Chard posted:

What does GSM stand for in this case? Google's letting me down here.

Gender and/or Sexual Minority.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mo_Steel posted:

Homeless individuals are also victimized more than other targets of hate crimes (emphasis mine):

There are still many laws around the country that exist solely to target the homeless and drive them out of cities that find them undesirable as well, and this isn't a new phenomenon in America or globally. "In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets, and steal loaves of bread."

Yeah, and there are some relatively easy policy fixes that can decrease homelessness. For instance, rather than relying upon shelters, draft zoning laws that allow for single-occupancy boarding houses with shared amenities and without required parking spaces.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

*throws down literal, medieval gauntlet*

If you asked me to tell you which decade-old Eminem reference Rick Santorum would make in a foreign policy op-ed, I would probably just stare at you

Look at that thing, it looks like it's going to jump off of his scalp and write an op-ed of its own.

"I'M FREE BITCH" by A Carpet Sample, exclusive to BuzzFeed.com

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

McDowell posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J4xu0CuCOw

There's only one person who can stop a bad guy with a gun.

We live under the Drake.

Hobo With a Shotgun is an astute commentary on the functioning of the capitalist system and how it oppresses people. The Drake and his sons are what many political and business leaders would be sans laws.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Old James posted:

Is Zephyr Teachout seriously her name or is that the next Bond girl?

SnakePlissken posted:

Omg, it's ... the white dancing horse candidate!
FTFY

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

richardfun posted:

Apparently, making GBS threads on the poor and destitute through policy isn't enough for Republicans. No sir, those moochers have to be http://calcoastnews.com/2014/09/supervisor-candidates-clash-hobo-bash/mocked and degraded.

San Luis hates homeless people.

quote:

The rules include a ban on giving food to homeless persons who have been suspended from the program, entering the Prado Day Center through the driveway on foot and failing to control the physical tics and other behaviors resulting from medical conditions or mental illnesses.

If a homeless person fails to follow Torres’ rules, she bars them from receiving meals and a place to sleep and shower, according to the program’s rules and dozens of citations CCN staff have viewed. Many of those barred are refused services for months or years because they are unable to make it through a laborious readmission process Torres has put into place, Fowler said.

http://calcoastnews.com/2013/04/san-luis-obispos-homeless-barred-fro-services/

quote:

The San Luis Obispo Police Department’s only line of defense against the increasing problem is a city ordinance that prohibits people from sleeping in vehicles outside designated areas such as campgrounds or mobile home parks.

http://www.municipalinsider.com/homeless-cant-park-and-sleep-after-dark-in-san-luis-obispo/

It's a very rich, very white city. The number one employer is a Cal State University.

tsc fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 7, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Having been homeless for two years myself (though with a vehicle and employed, which put me in the very upper class of homeless), and having known someone who apparently killed homeless people for fun, or at least that's what he brags about whenever he's high and he seems like the type (He's been reported, of course, but no victim means no crime! What do I want the police to do anyway, considering no one knows the names of the people he supposedly killed and he already left the state?)

Politicians hate the homeless, and many of them basically adopt the policy of "if we neglect them enough maybe they'll all die or go away, I don't particularly care which." Being homeless is essentially outright illegal in many places, and impossible to get out of for many people who find themselves in the situation.

Most non-politicians just want to avoid thinking about them at all costs.

The treatment of the homeless in the US is pretty lovely - which means this is a bunch of Republican's celebrating and dressing up as the people they want to stick behind bars for living out the dream of FREEDOM, but not being wealthy as a result.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It is my understanding that the best way to deal with the issue of homelessness is to just give the homeless no-stings-attached real housing. For those who are temporarily homeless (which by far are the majority) it provides shelter to get back on their feet. For those who want treatment for mental illness or substance abuse it provides a stable address for those working with their treatment to reach them to guide them through that process. And all that aside getting people out of the elements so reduces the need for emergency medical treatment that it pays for itself.

But people would have such a shitfit over the idea of "paying rent for some drunk druggie" (which would go up 100 fold at the prospect of having them live nearby) that it will never happen on a large scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
For my own part, I would have been happy with not being run out of the parking space I had actually paid for. Spent almost 200 hundred for a pass to a nice outdoor spot in a decent sized lot, and it worked great until they found out I was living out of my vehicle and ran me off. :/ Claimed it "wasn't safe for me to be sleeping there, in the well-lit parking lot regularly patrolled by security", so I ended up having to find alleys and dark corners where no one was likely to look, and even then I had situations where the police kicked my out three times in a single night. (Basically, sleeping in your vehicle anywhere is a crime)

All I wanted was to for people to stop harassing me, but the police make it very clear, very quickly, that they would most prefer you cease to exist.