Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I hate it when kickstarter early birds are cheaper than the normal stuff, especially by such a large percentage. Makes me not want to back it just on principle alone. 20 bucks seems perfectly reasonable, sure. 25, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I prefer if early birds are based on time not based on number of backers. Things like first 2 weeks is cheaper.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

The video of the kickstarter sold me on this.
Technically the video is only so-and-so, but those 2 guys are so stoked about making this sourcebook, that it becomes infectious.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

adhuin posted:

The video of the kickstarter sold me on this.
Technically the video is only so-and-so, but those 2 guys are so stoked about making this sourcebook, that it becomes infectious.

I met Heinsoo at GenCon where they announced this originally at the Glorantha panel. They are definitely very interested in making something that uses the Glorantha setting to its fullest, so I've pitched for it! It's gonna definitely be different than HeroQuest or RuneQuest though.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
There was a lot of talk on the GMing panel at GenCon about the heavy changes they're making to the icon rules, which I'm very interested in seeing.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Flip Hue is a nice little card game in its final week

I played it a few times and had one of the designers on with me on my little board game podcast, Your Turn Go. I think it's a fun little game that is amusing enough for people who play a lot of board games, and light enough to be fun for those that don't. I recommend it, especially since $20 snags you a copy.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PresidentBeard posted:

I prefer if early birds are based on time not based on number of backers. Things like first 2 weeks is cheaper.

Hmm, Counter Blast did their "early bird" thing through timing of delivery. First XXX get it a month earlier. Not a bad way of going, since their delivery was in the middle of con season.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PresidentBeard posted:

This is literally impossible to do on KS.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lemon Curdistan posted:

How so? They can just lock off the pledge tier at whatever point.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

How so? They can just lock off the pledge tier at whatever point.

Unless it changed recently, you cannot modify an existing tier that has pledges except to increase the pledge cap if it has one.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Unless it changed recently, you cannot modify an existing tier that has pledges except to increase the pledge cap if it has one.

For Mars Attacks! this time last year Mantic had a limited $300 New York Comic Con special pledge level that they bumped up a couple times with demand, which they then reduced to the level of existing backers + 1 at midnight two weeks into the campaign when NYCC ended. It had extra credit for add ons over the regular $300 pledge.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 8, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I forget what campaign it was, but one of the ones I was following capped a few tiers at whatever number of backers were currently in it and then made new ones with better shipping options as a restructuring effort. Then as people bailed from the old tier, they just kept recapping it at whatever number of backers was still it it.

In a hypothetical time-based early bird system, just do the first half of that. At the two week mark, cap the early bird pledge tier at 317 slots or whatever and not allow anyone else in.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It looks like you can mark a pledge "sold out", even if it doesn't have a limited quantity associated with it. So you could manually do a limited time early-bird, but it's not something obvious like limiting the number of purchases.

Generally I haven't seen a lot of positive feedback regarding early-bird levels so I didn't include them in So77.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If I ever actually get around to fleshing out some projects I've been working on and run a Kickstarter, I'm going to have a single early bird slot. The first person to back my project for $1 will get the end result. Just to thank the first person to find the project.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

jivjov posted:

If I ever actually get around to fleshing out some projects I've been working on and run a Kickstarter, I'm going to have a single early bird slot. The first person to back my project for $1 will get the end result. Just to thank the first person to find the project.

That's a cool idea.

From what I've seen so far, the beginning of your KS are all people who want your project to succeed and are willing to pay full price (or more) so giving them a discount is really leaving money on the table on top of disappointing backers who show up later. I actually had to create a new premium tier because some of our friends wanted to back for more than $50 on the first day.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

jivjov posted:

This is also a big gently caress-you to every other backer that didn't get there first. You're going to have a first backer anyway. All this does is create negative feelings and lower the perceived value of whatever your project is. (If you can give it away for a dollar, why am I paying $XX dollars?)

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Gods gambit did time based early bird.stuff

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

jivjov posted:

It's a cute idea that sounds great for the first person but will potentially feel negative for everybody else. If you really wanted to do something like this, I'd do something under the table, probably after the kickstarter campaign ended. Granted, personally I'd rather reward people that somehow do a good turn by promoting the kickstarter or the like. The person that gets in first mostly only has that opportunity as a matter of luck, not because they're doing something profound to help you out.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

It looks like you can mark a pledge "sold out", even if it doesn't have a limited quantity associated with it. So you could manually do a limited time early-bird, but it's not something obvious like limiting the number of purchases.

Fair enough, good to know.

That said: early bird tiers are a way of attracting enough money to your KS early on that it picks up steam. There's a vicious cycle in a KS campaign where people don't see the amount going up fast enough (or look at it and the pledges are too low) which leads to people not pledging which leads to the pledges being too low/slow which leads to etc., with people eventually pulling their pledges out.

So77 doesn't need them because you have a good project page with an excellent video and attractive art, and because there are no big RPG KSes running right now to distract people/it's not video game release season, so people have money to pledge. A lot of projects (especially in more crowded markets like video games/minis) need them to get off the ground or risk not picking up enough steam early enough that they don't make it to the finish line.

It's silly to get upset at the existence of "help this KS campaign actually take off" tiers. It would be nice to get some ~market data~ to know how big you can make the price difference between early bird/normal backer tiers without losing more pledges than you gain by the early bird tier just existing.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

For Mars Attacks! this time last year Mantic had a limited $300 New York Comic Con special pledge level that they bumped up a couple times with demand, which they then reduced to the level of existing backers + 1 at midnight two weeks into the campaign when NYCC ended. It had extra credit for add ons over the regular $300 pledge.

I saw the Mars Attacks KS but I haven't heard much about it since it ended. Is the gameplay any good?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I saw the Mars Attacks KS but I haven't heard much about it since it ended. Is the gameplay any good?

It's a Jake Thornton game, so I would expect it to be reasonable but with a few bugs that will be worked out as more feedback arrives.

Looks like my ships are coming in: Thebes ships this week to the EU, Lagoon: Land of Druids is set for October, Historia should be at Essen, and Rise To Power is about to go to the manfuacturer.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Personally, I know that if I'm on the fence about a project if there's an open early bird tier I'll lock in a pledge but if there are no early bird pledges left/available I'll just set it to remind me. I'm much more likely to end up keeping a pledge I've already made than make a new pledge at the end- that is, there are a lot more campaigns I decided not to pledge for when the reminder came up than there are campaigns I pulled my pledge at the end for- so there have been campaigns that have both benefited from the early boost my pledge has made and actually gotten money out of me they might not have otherwise. I do know that I'm less likely to want to pay full price for a product when I see other people getting a large discount from early bird pledges, but that depends a lot on how big the discount is- $5 doesn't change anything, and $10 might not depending on what the full price is. Really big early bird discounts bug me, though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think Tasty Minstrel Games comped a copy of Dungeon Roll for the guy who pushed them over the line for their last stretch goal. Thought that was a nice gesture.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I backed a KS last year that had a really awesome piece of swag as part of a $100 goal. I pinged them and asked them if they'd be willing to make it an add-on, and they said no, but if I went in at that level they'd add a whole bunch of other extra stuff to my shipment because it put them over $10,000. The other extra stuff included promotional game books from their other work, and it ended up being well worth my pledge.

So, sometimes the guys who run a KS will be willing to do rad stuff like that, although I definitely didn't ask them to do so.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's a pared back version of the Deadzone rules, so I'm epecting it to be fun. It's in the warehouse for packing and due to start shipping in a couple of weeks, but in the mean time this demo game went up last week https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYE86tOswCw

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sefer posted:

Personally, I know that if I'm on the fence about a project if there's an open early bird tier I'll lock in a pledge but if there are no early bird pledges left/available I'll just set it to remind me.

Exactly. Ultimately, it doesn't matter if the campaign loses your $10 at the end when it's fully funded/into stretch goals because you pulled out at the last minute; what does matter is having your $10 on the counter during those first 72 hours where giving the impression that the KS campaign is growing fast is going to snowball into them getting to their goal.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

In addition to the ways other people listed Dungeon Crawler is going to be doing this as a part of their legacy baccker system. They just go through when you pledged first and throw in some bonus models if you're before a certain date.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When early bird tiers get full, there is a game you play where you sit and watch at the end of the KS for early birders to change their minds and drop out, and then you snipe that one open early bird slot before anyone else can.

Encouraging that probably costs the KS money. I don't know if it's significant, but it's a thing.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Pirate World seems dead. I'm angry because I already had a reason not to kick in; the creator admitted in a PM conversation that the FATE side of things was an afterthought despite getting shared billing with Dungeon World, and I'm really only playing FATE at this point, but I decided to fund it anyway. Welp.

It's now 7 months late, and evidently one of the commenters requested and was promised a refund which is not appearing. This was unfortunately in my brief period of 'hey a goon is doing a project, goons are cool and deserve funding, let me toss a few dollars his way'.

I have come to regret this decision-making paradigm. :doom:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SageNytell posted:

Pirate World seems dead. I'm angry because I already had a reason not to kick in; the creator admitted in a PM conversation that the FATE side of things was an afterthought despite getting shared billing with Dungeon World, and I'm really only playing FATE at this point, but I decided to fund it anyway. Welp.

It's now 7 months late, and evidently one of the commenters requested and was promised a refund which is not appearing. This was unfortunately in my brief period of 'hey a goon is doing a project, goons are cool and deserve funding, let me toss a few dollars his way'.

I have come to regret this decision-making paradigm. :doom:

Well that's depressing...Pirate World looked really cool too. Oh well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, that sort of thing is why I've avoided kickstarters until the Spirit of 77 KS, and the main reason I've gone in on that is because Bucnasti was being very communicative and showing the near-final playtest stuff off months before the kickstarter was even mentioned. That and the kickstarter has relatively reasonable stretch goals (more/better art, and some PDF-only extras).

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
I've got the '77 Kickstarter starred. I might dip my toe back in again, but I've been now been burned by five Kickstarters, three of which I was first pitched on here.

And it looks so good, too... :(

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've only really been burned by Always/Never/Now, Axes and Anvils, the Machine Age projects, and the Kittens in a Blender expansion. Not too bad out of 93 projects. I'm also still waiting on my physical stuff for Inverse World, but I had a copy with notes and such, so that's still being worked on.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Echophonic posted:

I've only really been burned by Always/Never/Now, Axes and Anvils, the Machine Age projects, and the Kittens in a Blender expansion. Not too bad out of 93 projects. I'm also still waiting on my physical stuff for Inverse World, but I had a copy with notes and such, so that's still being worked on.

People actually wanted an expansion to Kittens in a Blender? :psyduck:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, that sort of thing is why I've avoided kickstarters until the Spirit of 77 KS, and the main reason I've gone in on that is because Bucnasti was being very communicative and showing the near-final playtest stuff off months before the kickstarter was even mentioned. That and the kickstarter has relatively reasonable stretch goals (more/better art, and some PDF-only extras).

We're doing everything we can to not disappoint people. Otherwise our grand plan of building trust over the years and then absconding with the millions of dollars raised for Spirit of 88 will never come to fruition.

It's really a huge balancing act, we have to provide physical and digital stretch goals to keep everyone happy, but each stretch goal we add has tons of hidden costs like fees, taxes, shipping etc. I see kickstarters that keep offering new things every few thousand dollars and I don't know how they're able to pull it off. Either they know a secret I don't or they're going to come up short in the end.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Echophonic posted:

The Machine Age people basically got their entire lives upended by breakins and theft, as well as existing publishers declining to honor their contracts, IIRC. I'm sad, but not surprised that this has turned into delays.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
If I'm someone whose always wanted to get into Glorantha, would this be a good starting point?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If I'm someone whose always wanted to get into Glorantha, would this be a good starting point?

If you already have the core 13th Age book, I'd say go for it. The sourcebook that they're also making seems like it's just lore about Glorantha, pared down from the megalithic 800-page Guide to Glorantha.

There's also a Glorantha thread if you want to check that out, too.

EDIT: I should disclose that I know nothing about Glorantha besides a brief pass with King of Dragon Pass and from other goons saying it's cool. I'm backing for the 13th Age in Glorantha book because of the setting but also because of new classes, new Icon rules, that kind of thing.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Bucnasti posted:

It's really a huge balancing act, we have to provide physical and digital stretch goals to keep everyone happy, but each stretch goal we add has tons of hidden costs like fees, taxes, shipping etc. I see kickstarters that keep offering new things every few thousand dollars and I don't know how they're able to pull it off. Either they know a secret I don't or they're going to come up short in the end.

Make your design document, then lop 15% of the content off the end and list it as stretch goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And set your kickstarter goal to half or two thirds what you actually need, cause you're totally gonna overshoot well over that. No way you'll barely squeeze by and be left with too little money to do what you actually promised. :v:

• Locked thread