Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You and a monkey are both carbon-based sentient life-forms with opposable digits, problem solving skills, hair, nervous systems that respond to external stimuli, and reproduce through sexual activity with a member of the species from the opposite gender.

Yet calling you a monkey isn't true.

Yes, very astute. A person isn't exactly the same thing as a monkey. And that other guy is clearly a moron because he didn't pitch the comparison at the appropriate level of generality for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Does anyone have NFL sunday ticket for PS4? Can you remote play with it? I'm just curious.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

We all know Destiny is just a Hellgate London clone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

No, people are actually going to play Destiny.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That was the first of the FPS Diablos, right?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah, and ironically made by a lot of the people who worked on the first two Diablos. It tanked. I remember the furore over when David Brevik criticised Diablo 3, to which several Blizzard developers took the piss out of Hellgate in return.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, and ironically made by a lot of the people who worked on the first two Diablos. It tanked. I remember the furore over when David Brevik criticised Diablo 3, to which several Blizzard developers took the piss out of Hellgate in return.

Diablo 3 was barely better than Hellgate until they fired (reassigned) Jay Wilson, after which the game magically became 100x better.

At least Hellgate taught people to be extremely and justifiably cynical about "From the creators of..."

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, something I was thinking was that even if Destiny and Borderlands have multiple differences, can anyone give me an example of a game that's more similar to Destiny than Borderlands (or vice versa)?

Halo. To me it feels like Halo with loot. The way you move, the accuracy of the weapons, the aiming. It all felt like straight up Halo.

In my opinion, that is a good thing, because I couldn't stand Borderlands.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Chemondelay posted:

Yes, very astute. A person isn't exactly the same thing as a monkey. And that other guy is clearly a moron because he didn't pitch the comparison at the appropriate level of generality for you.

He's not a moron, I was using a generalization like his. You, however, do seem to be a moron. Shut up unless you actually have something to add to the comparisons.

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, something I was thinking was that even if Destiny and Borderlands have multiple differences, can anyone give me an example of a game that's more similar to Destiny than Borderlands (or vice versa)?

Halo. Wolfenstien:tno. Both feel more like Destiny to me than Borderlands does. Both reward smart playing, Borderlands rewards having a bigger gun.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

blackguy32 posted:

Halo. To me it feels like Halo with loot. The way you move, the accuracy of the weapons, the aiming. It all felt like straight up Halo.

In my opinion, that is a good thing, because I couldn't stand Borderlands.

I didn't think it felt too much like Halo, I can't stand Halo and loved Destiny.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
In Borderlands it is easy to loot nothing but the shittiest guns in the game. Hey, do you want a gun with low damage, high recoil that throws away your remaining bullets everytime you reload? Well I hope you like all of them! Oh, here's another slow firing explosive weapon when all you want is a gun that shoots bullets.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Instead of telling me about John Travolta's gay dick and Hellgate London, why didn't you guys just tell me Gus is in it? THAT'S ALL I NEEDED.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I just want to ask the question, is Destiny something you plan to sink time+money with 4 expansions over the course of the next 6 years, assuming your character will evolve with you, as you buy new level caps and pay tons of money into expansions/season passes? I assume steady stream of patches too for re-balancing and having to learn new tactics as skills get new cooldowns or nerfs.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The biggest difference between the two to me is that the combat in Borderlands feels like it's your numbers against their numbers. Stuff like staying mobile, flanking, positioning doesn't really matter that much because enemies were essentially just lumbering calculators. If you're out in the open you'd better make sure your damage output > theirs in a given span of time because they'll be hitting you no matter what. In Destiny winning fights relies somewhat on having the right gear but it's more about strategy than numbers. The two may appear similar but actually playing them, as the first guy said, feels completely different.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

He's not a moron, I was using a generalization like his. You, however, do seem to be a moron. Shut up unless you actually have something to add to the comparisons.

Actually how about you all shut up if you're going to act like Gamefaqs.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I'm glad I was broke and in school when Hellgate London came out otherwise I would have bought it and tried really hard to convince myself and others it was good.

At least there's a jetbike you can summon to to speed around the map

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I haven't owned a console since the late 90s and I just picked up a PS4 two days ago for Destiny. To familiarize myself with having to use a controller I've been playing Warframe and Blacklight both of witch use L3 to sprint and now my left thumb is pretty drat sore. Now I'm not a complete idiot so I'm aware that I'm clearly doing something wrong so I've tried you know, not pushing them down as hard but it still feels odd and unnatural. Anyone have any tips or do I just have fruity fingers?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Customfresh posted:

I haven't owned a console since the late 90s and I just picked up a PS4 two days ago for Destiny. To familiarize myself with having to use a controller I've been playing Warframe and Blacklight both of witch use L3 to sprint and now my left thumb is pretty drat sore. Now I'm not a complete idiot so I'm aware that I'm clearly doing something wrong so I've tried you know, not pushing them down as hard but it still feels odd and unnatural. Anyone have any tips or do I just have fruity fingers.

You should check if you can change it to a toggle instead of a hold-down thing. I would like to believe it's actually a toggle by default in most games

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Customfresh posted:

I haven't owned a console since the late 90s and I just picked up a PS4 two days ago for Destiny. To familiarize myself with having to use a controller I've been playing Warframe and Blacklight both of witch use L3 to sprint and now my left thumb is pretty drat sore. Now I'm not a complete idiot so I'm aware that I'm clearly doing something wrong so I've tried you know, not pushing them down as hard but it still feels odd and unnatural. Anyone have any tips or do I just have fruity fingers?

Your spacebar thumb appears to be weak willed. Do you never bunny jump or need to use c/v/b for commands?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
just confirmed that you will be able to summon a space bike in Destiny a la Borderlands.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

rear end Catchcum posted:

just confirmed that you will be able to summon a space bike in Destiny a la Borderlands.

Yeah, but unlike Borderlands you can summon it any time you're outdoors rather than having to hunt down a station.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Customfresh posted:

You only have to click. You don't have to hold the stick in the whole time.

That said, the analog sticks do result in thumb fatigue for quite a few goons, me included. Have a look at fps freeks or gripits, they make the sticks a lot more comfortable to use.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

haveblue posted:

Yeah, but unlike Borderlands you can summon it any time you're outdoors rather than having to hunt down a station.

And no obnoxiously long entering animation and going from speeding around to an instant stop the second you clip a rock.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ularg posted:

And no obnoxiously long entering animation and going from speeding around to an instant stop the second you clip a rock.

And it's just the right mix of floaty physics response and tight control response to let you coax it into all kinds of places.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Scyron posted:

Your spacebar thumb appears to be weak willed. Do you never bunny jump or need to use c/v/b for commands?

I have a mechanical keyboard which basically allows me to blow on my spacebar to push it. That's the tech these analog toggles need.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You only have to click. You don't have to hold the stick in the whole time.

Right, I should clarify that the uncomfortable feeling is due to the constant pressure from having to keep it held down. Great to know that it's toggle in Destiny by default, but that doesn't seem to be the case with Warframe and Blacklight...unless I'm doing it completely wrong.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Customfresh posted:

Right, I should clarify that the uncomfortable feeling is due to the constant pressure from having to keep it held down. Great to know that it's toggle in Destiny by default, but that doesn't seem to be the case with Warframe and Blacklight...unless I'm doing it completely wrong.

the weird hybrid analog trigger on the gamecube did that to me when I had to hold it in to lock onto enemies for a long time. goondolences.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Customfresh posted:

I have a mechanical keyboard which basically allows me to blow on my spacebar to push it. That's the tech these analog toggles need.

Don't know about Blacklight, but when I first played Warframe on my brand new PS4, I didn't have to hold the stick in to sprint.
However, if your thumbs are feeling fatigued in general, I do recommend the grips mentioned in the OP, I use them and it's a great addition :)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Customfresh posted:

I haven't played those two games, but I think in every FPS I've played where it's R3 to sprint, you only have to click in briefly to start sprinting, and you'll continue as long as the stick is tilted forward.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
My Destiny preload counts down to 3 am est, don't do this to me Bungie. Give me it at midnight.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Rad Valtar posted:

My Destiny preload counts down to 3 am est, don't do this to me Bungie. Give me it at midnight.

Unfortunately I read on other forums 3AM EST guys get shafted. Seems the entirety of the US gets it at once and the EST states are the furthest behind. Or something like that. :downs:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Poor guys, having to wait until 3am to play Deestiny. It's kind of like having to wait for mail to show up late tuesday. Almost.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Rad Valtar posted:

Look, after work tomorrow, just go home, take some sleeping pills, and then wake up around 3am and boom. Also you can just stay up all night playing because you already slept. Surely there's no flaw in this plan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brightman posted:

Look, after work tomorrow, just go home, take some sleeping pills, and then wake up around 3am and boom. Also you can just stay up all night playing because you already slept. Surely there's no flaw in this plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbr7B1OVa0g

haveblue posted:

And it's just the right mix of floaty physics response and tight control response to let you coax it into all kinds of places.

The downside to the Sparrow is that it doesn't have weapons but that was apparently done on purpose by Bungie since they don't want you to spend all your time in vehicles. Although there will be some areas that have vehicle spawn points that do have weapons.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Listen as a responsible adult I can't be staying up until 3 am to play video games, I'm just too old for that poo poo.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Oh man the tizzy people got worked into defending their precious preorder is hilarious. It's a colorful borderlands without wacky guns, you shoot guys, they twitch, damage numbers pop over their heads; but where borderlands gameplay was kinda weighty and generic, destiny is floaty and generic. Instead of junky dune buggies it's slow speeder bikes. The exploration aspect is round outdoor arena areas freckled with audio logs in between lengths of corridor shooting.

Oh and the space ships used to travel from earth to the moon, those are loading screens...

It's Halo with grinding crappy gear drops of uninspired weapons, then like Diablo and Wow there are named sets of weaponry towards the higher levels for folks to sperg and raid over.

A lot of people here have all their eggs firmly in its basket. It should be hilarious to watch after Wednesday when most people will have plowed through all the game has to offer.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
The game is going to own but thanks for your IGN review bro.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Oh yeah and the writing is so comically dreadful it makes The Hunger Games look like A Farewell To Arms.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

revolther posted:

Oh man the tizzy people got worked into defending their precious preorder is hilarious. It's a colorful borderlands without wacky guns, you shoot guys, they twitch, damage numbers pop over their heads; but where borderlands gameplay was kinda weighty and generic, destiny is floaty and generic. Instead of junky dune buggies it's slow speeder bikes. The exploration aspect is round outdoor arena areas freckled with audio logs in between lengths of corridor shooting.

Oh and the space ships used to travel from earth to the moon, those are loading screens...

It's Halo with grinding crappy gear drops of uninspired weapons, then like Diablo and Wow there are named sets of weaponry towards the higher levels for folks to sperg and raid over.

A lot of people here have all their eggs firmly in its basket. It should be hilarious to watch after Wednesday when most people will have plowed through all the game has to offer.

Canceling my preorder asap thanks for the review

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

revolther posted:

It should be hilarious to watch after Wednesday when most people will have plowed through all the game has to offer.

Please toxx yourself on this. Tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Samurai Sanders posted:

As for the second, I also regard Zelda and Dark Souls as being pretty similar.

Okay well, you're allowed to think that but please never give advice to people on what games to buy because I can't think of a single person that would be well served by that statement. You would, in fact, be essentially lying to them and I think that you would see that readily from the response of someone going into Dark Souls with only your statement to prepare them.

• Locked thread