Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'm curious as to what their total budget is because the $1 million they raised in Kickstarter backings is a bit low for a competitive project like this unless they have at least another $49 million in investments.

I dunno, man, it looks like they're coming in well below budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

That's a pretty cool Dark Ages of Camelot mod.

I'm curious as to what their total budget is because the $1 million they raised in Kickstarter backings is a bit low for a competitive project like this unless they have at least another $49 million in investments.

According to the article in Pathfinder Online: Thornkeep, the KS money was to make a tech demo to show (pre-arranged) investors.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What's the difference then between the tech demo kickstarter that raised $300K and the other one that made $1 million? I'm pretty sure the $1 million one was for the actual game or I at least hope it is for the backers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What's the difference then between the tech demo kickstarter that raised $300K and the other one that made $1 million? I'm pretty sure the $1 million one was for the actual game or I at least hope it is for the backers.

There's no difference, it all amounts to smoke and mirrors anyway.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have no doubts that this is going to make Curt Schilling look like a financial genius by it's end. It seems like the standard, "Why can't we make the next big MMO?" project that ends in bankruptcy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I have no doubts that this is going to make Curt Schilling look like a financial genius by it's end. It seems like the standard, "Why can't we make the next big MMO?" project that ends in bankruptcy.

One big difference is that one of the leaders is Lisa Stevens, Paizo's CEO, who is famously business-savvy (especially for the RPG market) and has another very profitable property (Pathfinder itself) attached as well. It's not great - the whole idea about basically treating launch as a running target like the Gmail beta or something is really bad - but PFO is in a way better position than say, City of Titans, and it has better financial people on it right now than Curt Schilling did.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Entering the MMO market with your first(?) game is a poor decision. MMOs are harder to make than other titles, expensive, highly competitive, and the market for them may even be a bit saturiated. Not that I'm not saying they can't make one, but it would have been wiser to start with something more manageable as their company's first digital title.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Covok posted:

Entering the MMO market with your first(?) game is a poor decision. MMOs are harder to make than other titles, expensive, highly competitive, and the market for them may even be a bit saturiated. Not that I'm not saying they can't make one, but it would have been wiser to start with something more manageable as their company's first digital title.

Yeah they really would have been better off making something like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights, a single player game possibly with robust multiplayer instead of diving head first into the blood red waters of the MMO market.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

The $1 million was supposedly just to speed development and add features. To be fair, they've started their Alpha Testing as promised, and that's what you're looking at.

Dancey has repeatedly said they can make it on a much lower budget because they aren't making at theme park MMO, and those are dead anyway, claims Dancey. So they don't need to develop that much! It'll be just like EVE Online, where people will make their own fun! It's a "Field of Dreams" business strategy, essentially. Hopefully there will be MMO-playing ghosts ready to make his dreams come true!

Arivia posted:

According to the article in Pathfinder Online: Thornkeep, the KS money was to make a tech demo to show (pre-arranged) investors.

That was the first kickstarter. Most people are going to be talking about the second kickstarter, where they raised money for (see above).

Arivia posted:

One big difference is that one of the leaders is Lisa Stevens, Paizo's CEO, who is famously business-savvy (especially for the RPG market) and has another very profitable property (Pathfinder itself) attached as well.

Yeah, Lisa's really sharp. Conversely, though, it also has Ryan Dancey.

I don't think Goblinworks is necessarily a bunch of folks looking to take the money and run, and I'm willing to believe they have some faith in what they're doing - but there just aren't any indications for us to have faith in what they're doing, and that's the core problem.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Arivia posted:

One big difference is that one of the leaders is Lisa Stevens, Paizo's CEO, who is famously business-savvy (especially for the RPG market) and has another very profitable property (Pathfinder itself) attached as well. It's not great - the whole idea about basically treating launch as a running target like the Gmail beta or something is really bad - but PFO is in a way better position than say, City of Titans, and it has better financial people on it right now than Curt Schilling did.

She has zero experience with MMOs, or video games for that matter. They're pretty different fields and being smart does not immunize you from making dumb mistakes, which PO pretty clearly is.

The problem is that PO has literally nothing to distinguish itself. It looks like crap, it doesn't have interesting or unique gameplay, it's an incredibly generic fantasy game, I could go on and on. It has an incredibly ambitious feature list, but the only people who are going to buy that would buy Pathfinder-branded bridges. The whole thing just reeks of failure from conception to present and there's pretty much zero reason to believe that will change, because they have zero money to fix any of that, even assuming competent management.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The other problem is that no matter how bad it is, it'll get a ton of players simply because it has the word "Pathfinder" on it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

I really believe that Lisa Stevens is a genius for putting Ryan Dancy in a position where his boondoggle won't drag down Paizo as a whole when it implodes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I bought the Guide to Glorantha today to get some background on the setting before 13th Age in Glorantha comes out and god, I probably should have realized this, but I had no idea I was buying an 800 page textbook on a setting. I just cannot handle this during the actual school semester, it's even laid out exactly the same as one of my physics texts.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It is a setting made by an anthropologist.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Swagger Dagger posted:

I bought the Guide to Glorantha today to get some background on the setting before 13th Age in Glorantha comes out and god, I probably should have realized this, but I had no idea I was buying an 800 page textbook on a setting. I just cannot handle this during the actual school semester, it's even laid out exactly the same as one of my physics texts.
Oh, you're taking Gloranthia 101? The exams are literally murder.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tulul posted:

She has zero experience with MMOs, or video games for that matter. They're pretty different fields and being smart does not immunize you from making dumb mistakes, which PO pretty clearly is.

The problem is that PO has literally nothing to distinguish itself. It looks like crap, it doesn't have interesting or unique gameplay, it's an incredibly generic fantasy game, I could go on and on. It has an incredibly ambitious feature list, but the only people who are going to buy that would buy Pathfinder-branded bridges. The whole thing just reeks of failure from conception to present and there's pretty much zero reason to believe that will change, because they have zero money to fix any of that, even assuming competent management.

EVE online was also visually impressive in 2003 when it launched. You can't make a game that doesn't look nice. It doesn't have to be Destiny or the Witcher but it has to at least look visually appealing so you can justify playing it for hours on end. People won't sit down and devote hours to a game that looks like Pathfinder, even as an alpha. The game is not going to radically change before launch unless the development cycle lasts 5 years or longer.

Fantasy is also not a niche that isn't being filled today. What can they offer for instance that the new EverQuest, which looks nice and promises the same things, can't offer? Golarion is also purposely pretty generic and kitchen sink so what's supposed to be the draw?

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 8, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Swagger Dagger posted:

The Glorantha Thread is your friend on this one. Come post and get some general overview on things and look up whatever sounds cool in the Guide instead of trying to read it cover to cover.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

The other problem is that no matter how bad it is, it'll get a ton of players simply because it has the word "Pathfinder" on it.

Hopefully between this and "Unchained" I look forward to the Paizo fan base eating their own.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

Hopefully between this and "Unchained" I look forward to the Paizo fan base eating their own.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Unchained or the Paizo fan base, unless you want to provoke an internecine nerd war or something.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Arivia posted:

internecine nerd war

Yes please, these are always fun.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
It'd be funny. Like if the South had won the Civil War then 6 years later Alabama attacks Georgia.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

None of the local comic/game stores had Dungeon World. I got IPR to ship a copy for $5 snail mail instead of $13 and got the PDF on top of that.:toot:

Super excited to actually play a game sometime.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arivia posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with Unchained or the Paizo fan base, unless you want to provoke an internecine nerd war or something.
Just wait for Pathfinder 2e.

Unchained is clearly PF's Bo9S in terms of signaling an edition change.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Unchained is an ironic title, given they're too chained to their current edition to change things that much.

Though it's possible they could be testing the waters for that sort of thing, so much of their marketing is wrapped up in offering a familiar comfort for certain players.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Kai Tave posted:

It was pretty hilarious that for a while Palladium had .pdfs you could buy but WotC didn't. Yeah, eventually they stopped being so stupid but for years some bright soul at WotC central decided to quash all digital publications for "piracy" concerns. I guess piracy must be over forever now that they've decided to release a whole bunch of digital stuff again.

Well, WotC released a bunch of pdfs for a short while, then pulled them because of piracy concerns. So then the only way to get those pdfs was piracy.

I'm very curious who made that decision and whether it was a WotC or Hasbro employee.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Worth noting is that I mentioned in passing Goblinworks raising 300 grand for a tech demo they only showed to investors to a bunch of indie game developers and mouths hit the floor.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Unchained is an ironic title, given they're too chained to their current edition to change things that much.

Though it's possible they could be testing the waters for that sort of thing, so much of their marketing is wrapped up in offering a familiar comfort for certain players.

Well I hope they change just enough things to cause some edition warring. :laugh:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

The Flying Milton posted:

None of the local comic/game stores had Dungeon World. I got IPR to ship a copy for $5 snail mail instead of $13 and got the PDF on top of that.:toot:

Super excited to actually play a game sometime.

Dude, it is super pbp friendly. And we have a lot of games that recruit. Keep an eye out!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Paizo has no way to win with a new edition. Change too little and whats the point, change too much and suddenly we have Pathfinder 1st grogs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

remusclaw posted:

Paizo has no way to win with a new edition. Change too little and whats the point, change too much and suddenly we have Pathfinder 1st grogs.

That's when Paizo swoops in by saying "Unlike WotC, we'll still support the old edition instead of 'forcing' you to use the latest one" and then runs the two editions concurrently until they either stop doing one or go bankrupt because that's a terrible business structure (dividing your market into groups lowers the sales of products while maintaining normal costs for the goods).

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"I spent all morning trying to break this padlock with my hands and I couldn't do it, so now we're calling it Pathfinder Chained."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ettin posted:

"I spent all morning trying to break this padlock with my hands and I couldn't do it, so now we're calling it Pathfinder Chained."

We can close down the subforum now, the best post has been made.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ettin posted:

Pffft, stupid Warrior, I forget why I even keep you around. Just let me cast Knock. :smuggo:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Swagger Dagger posted:

I really need to actually sit down and read some of my copy, but it's so big it's hard to just kick back and read comfortably. And the PDFs are, as PDFs always are, terribly suited to being read on a tablet or computer.

Mr. Maltose posted:

The Glorantha Thread is your friend on this one. Come post and get some general overview on things and look up whatever sounds cool in the Guide instead of trying to read it cover to cover.
I'm planning to head straight for the God-Learners myself.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

MartianAgitator posted:

Well, WotC released a bunch of pdfs for a short while, then pulled them because of piracy concerns. So then the only way to get those pdfs was piracy.

I'm very curious who made that decision and whether it was a WotC or Hasbro employee.

Well, part of the problem was that not only did you have the sales loss question but the PDFs of the 4e core rulebooks themselves came out about two weeks ahead of the actual print release so it stole some of the thunder there. They kept offering PDFs up until the cycle of books that came out along with the 4e PHB2, after which they had their huge pull of products from all online vendors with a reasoning that was something along the lines of "we keep releasing our PDFs and then seeing them up on torrent sites within minutes, so we're not going to do this anymore." It wasn't a simple corporate thing, they kept this up for the better part of a year before throwing in the towel (May/June 2008 to April 2009).

Of course, after that people would still make PDF copies of their books, they'd just do it the old fashion way by scanning the physical books (or wait until it hit D&D Insider). Paizo still releases pdfs of all their products watermarked to the buyer's Paizo store account, but I don't think that's a huge deterrent.

But yeah, while I don't agree with WotC's decision when faced with the results, they certainly gave PDFs a chance for a while and it's nice to see them doing so again.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

The thing I don't get, having seen this sort of problem expressed in the Next thread and the Catpiss thread, are people who want to run or play other games beside D&D/Pathfinder/whatever but "the group won't do it" and it's like all they can do is shrug and bear it. Just loving tell your weird elfgame friends that you would like to play a game that isn't [whatever] and that's not some totally unreasonable thing to ask of people you're ostensibly friends with. Especially if you're the GM in this equation. Playing games shouldn't be a thing you tolerate in order to hang out with some pals once a week.
Social dynamics aren't that simple.

For one thing, this is often less a matter of really good friends, and more a matter of sorta-friends who are the best people can do- and people have to choose wither that, or No Gaming. Playing RPGS is cool fun, I can see wy people try and Make Do.

For another, the edition war has always had a social component. The local gaming clubs or stores, or your actual circle of friends, could be dominated by grogs, or could just have one grog holdout who, in reasonable or not so reasonable ways, will make clear they will never be happy playing 4e, or fate, or whatever. So you can either deal with somebody sucking the life out of your social circle, tell them to gently caress off out of the one time a week/month you all get together, or give the baby their bottle. I sympathize with people in such a situation.

Arivia posted:

Nahh im pretty sure she's just getting free lunched by her good friend Ryan Dancey. Geek Social Fallacies aren't just for customers (or frankly, geeks), after all.

Considering they could have just made say, an indie+ scale turn based rpg instead of throwing money into a hole, no, this is not a good position and was in no way a good decision, even if some firebreaks have been put in.

Evil Mastermind posted:

A ton in TTRPG terms is a pittance for an mmo. Had this been a crpg, yeah, that could have been good. Obsidian is developing a tablet version of the pathfinder card game, for instance.

But an mmo? No, this is a farce which will certainly fail and the only beneficiaries are Ryan Dancey and a few other ''devs''.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Ryan Dancey is a loving all star champ at getting people who absolutely know better to give him another chance to gently caress everything up all over again, and then burning all his bridges on the way out, only to somehow find a new person who absolutely knows better to give him yet another chance.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The 3e skill rules were based on WotC. Nerds climbing walls, swimming, making chainmail, all giving them a baseline for what was "realistic" enough without magic. Unfortunately diplomacy was based on how many people Dancey could talk into creating the OGL.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Am I just reading that analogy wrong or are you really saying that the creation of the OGL was a bad thing? I had the impression that it was one of the better things to happen to the hobby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

From a business perspective, it was terrible for D&D - something like Pathfinder couldn't have happened without it.

• Locked thread