Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

What is the next big game update anyway? Have they announced empire specific harassers yet? ES lightning or liberator weapons? Continental lattice?

Honestly I wouldn't mind more ES vehicles. Don't get me wrong I hate vehicles but you could fool me in saying that each faction has unique vehicles. So far the factions get unique:

Main Battle Tanks
Air Fighters

They share....

Sundies
Lightnings
Flashes
Valkyries
Liberators
Galaxies
Harassers

The only vehicles that can even mount empire specific weapons are...

The Harasser

Sure the infantry weapons and maxes have their own unique flair, but I may as well be the NS faction when using the vast majority of vehicles. Hell even a simple cosmetic difference (COLOR DOESN'T COUNT) between each faction's NS vehicles would at least make it look like there are 3 different factions with their own arms fighting each other and not just 3 warlords in some country with constant war all being sold weapons by the same manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Play earlier w/ no Recursion, no hitching or hit reg problems at all. Not even a hint of one

Play later w/ Recursion, and it's literally the worst hitching I've ever had. Constant, never-ending even if I've been in the area. Flying was a non-option, and even Phoenixing was really frustrating. poo poo I could barely get my Vanguard around a tech plant.

Anybody else have this problem as well? Any experience with the new nVidia drivers and if they're going to make it even worse? It's gettin me pretty bummed. 10 kill to go for my Phoenix aurax and I just know I could've had it tonight if half my shots didn't lose 200m of fuel to hitching or just straight up plop onto the ground in front of me.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Epic High Five posted:

Play earlier w/ no Recursion, no hitching or hit reg problems at all. Not even a hint of one

Play later w/ Recursion, and it's literally the worst hitching I've ever had. Constant, never-ending even if I've been in the area. Flying was a non-option, and even Phoenixing was really frustrating. poo poo I could barely get my Vanguard around a tech plant.

Anybody else have this problem as well? Any experience with the new nVidia drivers and if they're going to make it even worse? It's gettin me pretty bummed. 10 kill to go for my Phoenix aurax and I just know I could've had it tonight if half my shots didn't lose 200m of fuel to hitching or just straight up plop onto the ground in front of me.

I find that this only happens in really big zergs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Two Headed Calf posted:

I find that this only happens in really big zergs.

That's how it normally goes for me, and after a minute or two whatever was having problems loads in and it's all back to normal. Not tonight though, it was just constant and indiscriminate, though it REALLY cropped up when I would leave a vehicle or snap back to my dude from a Phoenix screen. Thankfully map game is fun too, and I'm just kinda crossing my fingers that it was a one-off thing. I ended up just throwing myself into fights and hipfiring while hoping for the best, and as much as I wish it wasn't the case I ended up with a 5+ KDR doing this :shrug:

and ignoring the whole computer lock up that happened earlier and hoping it goes away on its own

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
Maybe that's why I never have most of the problems people here report since I don't have Recursion. The game's HUD is cluttered enough without adding more and more sounds just makes it easier for an Infiltrator to walk up and shoot you in the back. Minimize to maximize your gaming!

Also, gently caress nVidia gave up on them years ago.

V V

I think I've crashed to desktop twice in the last six months and my fps has been at 60+ with most settings at high/ultra even when eating my gal's weight in flak.

Klowns fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 8, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Klowns posted:

Maybe that's why I never have most of the problems people here report since I don't have Recursion. The game's HUD is cluttered enough without adding more and more sounds just makes it easier for an Infiltrator to walk up and shoot you in the back. Minimize to maximize your gaming!

Is this a problem for non-nVidia users? I've been trying to get a good bug report going on the cause of the hitching but so far the only consistent cause I can find is, "doing whatever it is I plan on doing." Oh, and flak, but that's just normal FPS drop

I think the stat tracking part is superfluous but I'll miss the sounds. The cacophony that 4 AV nades on a crowded point can cause as you get showered in certs and praise is tough to give up.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I use an nVidia card (and don't run recursion) and I haven't had any framerate issues or client crashes/freezes. Just people sometimes flash-stepping around like an anime since the last patch, but that's clearly a connectivity/netcode thing. :saddowns:

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Is this a problem for non-nVidia users? I've been trying to get a good bug report going on the cause of the hitching but so far the only consistent cause I can find is, "doing whatever it is I plan on doing." Oh, and flak, but that's just normal FPS drop

I think the stat tracking part is superfluous but I'll miss the sounds. The cacophony that 4 AV nades on a crowded point can cause as you get showered in certs and praise is tough to give up.

I generally don't have trouble with recursion, but most of the time I dont' tab in/out of the game much. Tonight I was tabbing out a lot while playing an NC character and by 1h 50m I was hitching for up to 5s every 20-30 seconds. I had recursion running, I might try without it another night.

I'm an ATI user.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Nvidia user here (latest drivers)
I used to have terrible hitching every session in every fight, I uninstalled geforce experience, and did the following adjustments to my settings:

[Rendering]
GraphicsQuality=3
TextureQuality=1
ShadowQuality=0
RenderDistance=2135.000000
Gamma=0.560000
MaximumFPS=250
UseLod0a=0
OverallQuality=-1
LightingQuality=1
EffectsQuality=1
TerrainQuality=1
FloraQuality=4
ModelQuality=1
VerticalFOV=74
ParticleLOD=0
ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
FogShadowsEnable=0
MotionBlur=0
VSync=1
BloomEnabled=0
AO=0
Smoothing=1
UseAspectFOV=0

No hitching

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Chance posted:

Valkyries are basically the AV Mana turret buff I've been waiting for. Flys slower than an ESF, has to fly lower than an ESF, way fatter than an ESF, likely to give at least a single kill per strike, and higby help us might actually give kills based on nanite cost in the future.

http://www.gfycat.com/ImprobableIllGoshawk

http://www.gfycat.com/DazzlingImprobableCobra

This. This man knows whats up. This is how you turret.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Thanks for the replies all. Hopefully it was just an uncharacteristically hitchy night and it'll be fine in the future but if it continues to stem from Recursion I'll do some more trial and error to suss it out. I've thus far managed to avoid the...other big bug which shall not be named so maybe this is just karma

Honestly though if it was something simple enough for trial and error it would've been figured out by now. I suspect it's something deep in the servers related to the PS4 code merger

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Time to buy an nvidia card and start using shadowplay, I just had the best kill in all my time on this game. Shotgun LA shithead in a biolab, I shoot him enough that he runs for a door and starts jetting up to escape to the roof. I press G; EMP grenades apparently drain jumpjet fuel!

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Sard posted:

Time to buy an nvidia card and start using shadowplay, I just had the best kill in all my time on this game. Shotgun LA shithead in a biolab, I shoot him enough that he runs for a door and starts jetting up to escape to the roof. I press G; EMP grenades apparently drain jumpjet fuel!

I had a shotgun LA drop on me at some fight on Amerish about a week ago, he blows all his rounds and only hits me with about half of two blasts. I'm TRAPping, and in the middle of dunking an HA while this happens. I whip around and stick the TRAP in his chest and click twice and he explodes. These are the moments shadowplay was invented for.

Also, wasn't BAX supposed to be one of Mattherson NC's "premier" outfits before the merger? I do this kind of poo poo to them on a fairly regular basis: http://youtu.be/bsmCXHFJpU4?t=15s

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Sep 8
Daily sale: NS-10 Burster (left)
Members sale: Lightning Red Lumifiber Bolt / Yellow / Cyan

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Strotski posted:

Nvidia user here (latest drivers)
I used to have terrible hitching every session in every fight, I uninstalled geforce experience, and did the following adjustments to my settings:

[Rendering]
GraphicsQuality=3
TextureQuality=1
ShadowQuality=0
RenderDistance=2135.000000
Gamma=0.560000
MaximumFPS=250
UseLod0a=0
OverallQuality=-1
LightingQuality=1
EffectsQuality=1
TerrainQuality=1
FloraQuality=4
ModelQuality=1
VerticalFOV=74
ParticleLOD=0
ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
FogShadowsEnable=0
MotionBlur=0
VSync=1
BloomEnabled=0
AO=0
Smoothing=1
UseAspectFOV=0

No hitching

I wonder what changes were made here to prevent the hitching? I can't read this file very well. :(

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Artificer posted:

I wonder what changes were made here to prevent the hitching? I can't read this file very well. :(
Here's a screenshot of my settings

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Artificer posted:

I've spent a good amount of time fiddling with my own .ini and the only line that seems odd to me is the "UseLod0a" line. Is that an addition from a recent patch? What's it alter?

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

I've spent a good amount of time fiddling with my own .ini and the only line that seems odd to me is the "UseLod0a" line. Is that an addition from a recent patch? What's it alter?
Quote from SOE forums:

"What Level of Detail does is basically change the meshes (models) of objects on your screen to higher/lower quality ones (fewer polygons) depending on how far away they are.

It basically keeps asking the question "Does the player really need to see the high detail belt on this soldier who's 50m away? No. Replace him with a simpler model".

(As for your question whether the 0 or 1 flag is better - No idea)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_detail"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Strotski posted:

Quote from SOE forums:

"What Level of Detail does is basically change the meshes (models) of objects on your screen to higher/lower quality ones (fewer polygons) depending on how far away they are.

It basically keeps asking the question "Does the player really need to see the high detail belt on this soldier who's 50m away? No. Replace him with a simpler model".

Thanks for the lead, I know what I'm going to be fiddling with tomorrow!

Frankly I'd be happy with stick figures at 50m+ at this point if it took care of the hitching/crashing

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Strotski posted:

Quote from SOE forums:

Hm. Interesting. My settings for that are at 0 as well but I still run into hitching problems...

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Strotski posted:

Quote from SOE forums:

This doesn't answer what the flag in the config file does, just what LoD is in concept. Until one of SOE's knowledgeable people answers basically everything you hear about UseLod0a is speculation and bullshit.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

Artificer posted:

Hm. Interesting. My settings for that are at 0 as well but I still run into hitching problems...
Try my settings on a screenshot, or try turning on Smoothing alone.

It's not about Lod0, is what I'm saying.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Recently changed video cards, now on a GTX 750, and I'm not sure if it's the patch or what, but I've been getting memory leaks now over extended gameplay that cause severe hitching.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fierce Brosnan posted:

Daily sale: NS-10 Burster (left)

So I know that Lockdown+Burster is great, but what about NC goons? Do you guys get much use out of Bursters, or do you just stick to lockons and possibly Skyguards?

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

So I know that Lockdown+Burster is great, but what about NC goons? Do you guys get much use out of Bursters, or do you just stick to lockons and possibly Skyguards?
I'm a VS goon but buying a 2nd burster was the best investment I've ever made in this game, Skyguards are too situational, and lockons are easy to dodge by experienced pilots. (Plus the fact that most of them run Stealth these days)

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

As an NC goon, Skyguards are poo poo, and G2A lock-ons are easily dodged/mitigated. 2nd burster arm isn't amazing like it is for TR, but it was totally worth getting.

Edit: The Phoenix is also a totally credible G2A option, especially against oblivious shitlords. Not fire-and-forget like the lock-ons, but not quite as much of a skillshot as a dumbfire (doesn't do quite as much damage either)

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 8, 2014

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Klowns posted:

V V

I think I've crashed to desktop twice in the last six months and my fps has been at 60+ with most settings at high/ultra even when eating my gal's weight in flak.
I also don't run Recursion (or even know what it is) and the problems since the Valkyrie patch have been marginal: occasional hitching/FPS drop in large (~150+ people) fights only and one CTD in quite a lot of playtime (excluding slowness dealing with menus, which I think is :soe:, not hardware performance related). That said, things are dramatically worse from prior to Valkyrie patch where it was silky smooth/crash free at all times except fights large enough for server/latency related gameplay issues.

Kind of ironic that shortly after I return to PS2 they decided to poo poo up performance again since that was probably the biggest reason I stopped playing shortly after release as well as the second time I was into it for a bit, but at least it's still much better than back then for me.

Graphic-options-wise: I'm still running the .ini from the ages ago OP that had Ultra High settings.

Don't understand the nVidia hate (even if I have an AMD these days); liked mine besides it running super hot, but that was EVGA's cooler design (never getting a blower cooled GPU again; my newer AMD runs a full 20~25 degrees C cooler under load) that probably contributed to its death after ~four years of heavy use (EVGA were cool and warrantied it [lifetime warranty card], but I decided to upgrade because four years is a long time in GPUland).

Sard posted:

EMP grenades apparently drain jumpjet fuel!
I don't think this is true. Pretty sure I've still flown around quite alright while EMPed. You just can't see how much energy you have, which makes it a bit more dangerous.

Strotski posted:

I'd assume 1 since that'd be True (aka should be active). 0 (False) is probably what it was prior to the patch since they didn't have it implemented. This, of course, assuming it does anything at the present time.

I'm fairly confident most of the issues are to do with :soe: making GBS threads up underlying performance things that affect certain systems more than others.

Edit: I think the latter because, from what I've heard, it sounds like almost everyone has taken some performance hit.

bUm fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 8, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

NihilCredo posted:

Always carry your faction colored AA lockon as a heavy. You lose negligible damage and have the ability to tell skygods to gently caress off.

But when you really want to kill them, a Walker Sundy or dual-Burster MAX is the way to go. Just remember to let them get close in, fat and happy, before you open fire.

Skyguards are not worth a single penny or cert right now. Holy poo poo they are bad, and you give up all other utility to use them, a Burster MAX can at least walk to a nearby terminal to switch MAX loadouts.

I'm a VS player but since I'm talking about generic gear I'm pretty sure my advice is good for NC or TR players too.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The biggest nerf to bursters has been the cost of pulling a MAX. If you've got support that can pick your fatsuit up if it gets killed, then that's not an issue, but if not, then good luck!
Bursters used to be incredible, but they received a nerf to accuracy or whatever that makes Extended Magazines on them vital instead of an upgrade.

Running walkers on vehicles is so much better now, but there's no problem with having double bursters at some point. They're more responsive than G2A and they can still splatter ESFs.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Strotski posted:

Try my settings on a screenshot, or try turning on Smoothing alone.

It's not about Lod0, is what I'm saying.

Yeah, I'm not trying to call you out here on Lod0a I'm just saying that until we hear from SOE or a very large number of people testing Lod0a on and off we have no idea what it does. I suspect the other config changes plus whether shadowplay / GVR (ATI shadowplay) are on/off are far more important.

code:
[Rendering]
GraphicsQuality=3
TextureQuality=0
ShadowQuality=0
RenderDistance=3616.000000
Gamma=0.280000
MaximumFPS=150
UseLod0a=0
OverallQuality=-1
LightingQuality=2
EffectsQuality=1
TerrainQuality=3
FloraQuality=4
ModelQuality=3
ParticleQuality=3
VerticalFOV=74
FogShadowsEnable=0
MotionBlur=0
VSync=0
AO=0
Smoothing=0
SmoothingMaxFramerate=90
SmoothingMinFramerate=67
ParticleLOD=2
UseAspectFOV=0
ParticleDistanceScale=0.65000
BloomEnabled=0
This works for me with a ATI/AMD 7950, and an Intel 2500K clocked at 4.5GHZ. I rarely drop below 60fps (unless I have GVR on, then I go to 40-50.) Most of the time I'm between 90fps and 120fps.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 8, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I gunned a walker Sundie today for about.. thirty seconds, and it was AMAZING. 10/10 highly recommend.

I did notice the nerf to burster accuracy, makes it damned hard to hit a Mosquito any further than about 150m away. They're still way, way better than Skyguards, the ridiculous price of MAXes lately is the biggest downside, but you're seriously better off pulling a loving Zephyr lightning to try to hit air with than you are pulling a Skyguard.

It is loving trash. The projectile speed is just ridiculously slow, the damage isn't worth it, and it's not particularly accurate. Add to that the fact you change change loadouts after pulling it, and it's totally worthless. I've had more success using the Skyguard against oblivious enemy Sunderers than against air.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

NihilCredo posted:

If I didn't have a TR I'd make one today just to pick up the second burster. Going to have some fun when I get home from work, many a honks of Flight of the Valkyries will be cut short.

I'll grab one for my VS as well, been using a Comet on his left arm which actually works okay for Liberators and Galaxies and any stupid ESF that wants to try and hover to dump missiles on you. I've no doubt the second burster will be an all around upgrade though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Jesus, you guys aren't kidding about TR being delusional about how good their guns are. Was just in a biolab fight and TR were crying about how their guns can't beat VS at close range. They're pinpoint accurate bullet-hoses, how could VS outrace you at those ranges?

Mind boggling.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zaodai posted:

Jesus, you guys aren't kidding about TR being delusional about how good their guns are. Was just in a biolab fight and TR were crying about how their guns can't beat VS at close range. They're pinpoint accurate bullet-hoses, how could VS outrace you at those ranges?

Mind boggling.

Because VS guns have no drop. :v:

No seriously, this is one of their biggest complaints.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Zaodai posted:

Jesus, you guys aren't kidding about VS being delusional about how good their guns are. Was just in a biolab fight and VS were crying about how their guns can't beat TR at close range. They're pinpoint accurate bullet-hoses, how could TR outrace you at those ranges?

Mind boggling.

Alkydere posted:

Because TR guns have 10 extra bullets. :v:

No seriously, this is one of their biggest complaints.

Forumside.txt

o muerte fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 8, 2014

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

This is a real, actual, 130+ upvote post. http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1vamsp/dear_devs_stop_giving_tr_large_magazines_as_a/

I don't get it.

Also what the gently caress is up with my Players site page, it has its own unique font: https://planetside2.com/players#!/5428010618058581649 None of my alts have it, nor anyone else.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

o muerte posted:

Forumside.txt

Westy543 posted:

This is a real, actual, 130+ upvote post. http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1vamsp/dear_devs_stop_giving_tr_large_magazines_as_a/

I don't get it.

Also what the gently caress is up with my Players site page, it has its own unique font: https://planetside2.com/players#!/5428010618058581649 None of my alts have it, nor anyone else.

That's a magical response Westy.

All seriousness, I wish it wasn't 10, I wish they put a bit more thought in how much bigger a TR magazine is and actually balanced via spreadsheet/math instead of a flat 10 so some would get more, some would get less. Honestly though I don't mind them having the ammo, their faction trait is "More Dakka" and have low damage bullets because of it.

I just wish they'd stop being so delusional about their guns.

Also, I wish they'd give VS guns another art/sound pass. At least give us dildoes that are visually and audibly distinct from each other.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The TR and NC guns all have a variety of nice juicy sounds, even if the projectile particle effects are all pretty bland. VS have a wider variety of projectile effects, but literally all the guns make the 'splurt splurt splurt' noise.

Except the NS guns, which all have tracers and sounds just like TR guns heh.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Alkydere posted:

All seriousness, I wish it wasn't 10, I wish they put a bit more thought in how much bigger a TR magazine is and actually balanced via spreadsheet/math instead of a flat 10 so some would get more, some would get less. Honestly though I don't mind them having the ammo, their faction trait is "More Dakka" and have low damage bullets because of it.

I just wish they'd stop being so delusional about their guns.

One of the big things with VS/TR guns from a goon perspective is that a very large number of VS goons aren't good enough at aiming to actually use the VS trait well. The VS trait being more accurate sustained bursts and faster reloads. If your aim is poo poo to begin with then obviously the faction trait of "well our bursts go where we point them for a longer period of time" is going to be useless. When you compare that to "gently caress it, our faction trait is more goddamn bullets" you can see how players who can't aim would think that TR are RIDICULOUSLY OVERPOWERED compared to VS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

o muerte posted:

One of the big things with VS/TR guns from a goon perspective is that a very large number of VS goons aren't good enough at aiming to actually use the VS trait well. The VS trait being more accurate sustained bursts and faster reloads. If your aim is poo poo to begin with then obviously the faction trait of "well our bursts go where we point them for a longer period of time" is going to be useless. When you compare that to "gently caress it, our faction trait is more goddamn bullets" you can see how players who can't aim would think that TR are RIDICULOUSLY OVERPOWERED compared to VS.

Wait, are you saying that TR guns are actually balanced? Compared to VS? Seriously?

Link your quotes, sir.

• Locked thread