Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have this, it's pretty good. Tight seal, cleans up well, and I usually make curries and rice for my work lunch and the small tub holds exactly one reasonable serving of rice. Only the spork is weirdly deep but whatever the office kitchen has cutlery.

Course it's not so much "lifehack" as "product design."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

My Lovely Horse posted:

I have this, it's pretty good. Tight seal, cleans up well, and I usually make curries and rice for my work lunch and the small tub holds exactly one reasonable serving of rice. Only the spork is weirdly deep but whatever the office kitchen has cutlery.

Nothing in that gallery is anything besides "Here is a consumer product"

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nothing in that gallery is anything besides "Here is a consumer product"
Nor is any of it, if we're getting technical, actually called a "lifehack" at any point.

It appears to be intended as a gallery of neat stuff.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Life Hack: BUY THINGS. CONSUME. PROPAGATE.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

That's a courgette.I'm not buying this until I see it work on a cucumber.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

What's the loving point? I'm used to microwaves being above the stove, which would make this impossible to use unless you were tall. I guess this is installed below a counter, but then that's dumb, as I usually watch things in the microwave to prevent overboiling or overmelting (like softening butter). So then I'm squatting in the middle of the kitchen next to the microwave.

e: And wireless keyfinders are nothing new. You see them for $5 in Target around Christmas. It's not high tech stuff.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Little people maybe? That looks...weird.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
If you ever wanted to know what being hung like a male duck feels like, here's your chance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

How the hell is this a good idea, let alone a "close to genius" one?? It makes the cucumber longer, doesn't actually cut it into individual pieces, and makes it harder to eat in general. You can't use the cucumber spiral for anything. You have to cut the spirals up into slices yourself which means you may as well have just cut it into the slices in the first place.

edit:

Posted from a jail cell.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Sep 7, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CJacobs posted:

How the hell is this a good idea, let alone a "close to genius" one?? It makes the cucumber longer, doesn't actually cut it into individual pieces, and makes it harder to eat in general. You can't use the cucumber spiral for anything. You have to cut the spirals up into slices yourself which means you may as well have just cut it into the slices in the first place.

A cucumber spiral is useless, but a zucchini spiral has possibilities. I have a lasagna recipe that uses slices of zucchini instead of noodles (lower carb/trick picky eaters into eating veggies). Zucchini spirals might be a tiny bit easier than slices, and ruffled shape would bring more surface area into contact with the delicious sauce.

Still doesn't make this a genius idea.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

TVarmy posted:

What's the loving point? I'm used to microwaves being above the stove, which would make this impossible to use unless you were tall. I guess this is installed below a counter, but then that's dumb, as I usually watch things in the microwave to prevent overboiling or overmelting (like softening butter). So then I'm squatting in the middle of the kitchen next to the microwave.

My parents have one of these. I hate it, but they love that it's so out of the way. It's not as tall as a normal microwave, so you can't fit in high bowls, and there's no turntable inside, so you have to stop it and manually rotate things. And you're not supposed to manually open or close it, either, you have to press a button that takes a few seconds. It's really annoying. But supposedly it lasts longer than microwaves that are above stoves and I guess it does look cleaner than a microwave on the counter.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Someone at work just scissored a plastic cup open and used that pick their teeth. Somehow even worse than using their nails.

Lifehack - if you're really into being a loving animal , cut a plastic cup etc etc.

That's nuts, I just use staples.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Probably lasts longer because you can't fit the bowl you're trying to reheat in it so you just use a pan instead.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

TVarmy posted:

e: And wireless keyfinders are nothing new. You see them for $5 in Target around Christmas. It's not high tech stuff.

I never knew that thing existed, but I'd love one for my house. I have limited counter space and that would save a lot of room.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Having to manually turn things would suck though.

Lifehack: Put a toothpick on the plate so you know how much you've turned something.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

SystemLogoff posted:

Lifehack: Put a toothpick on the plate so you know how much you've turned something.

Lifehack: if you don't have a toothpick, scissor open a plastic cup, which is practically the same thing!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Okay, what exactly is this:

Are they nuts? Then what is the drink? All the other versions, with biscuits or carrot sticks I can understand. They're easy to grab. But this one seems impossible to work because the nuts(?) are too small*.

* Insert "that's what you mom said" joke as applicable.

TVarmy posted:

Now, if they actually ever made it and put 20th century controls on it instead of those stupid levers.

Mexicola
Jan 3, 2006
In a world that's full of shit and gasoline, baby

Gorilla Salad posted:

Okay, what exactly is this:

Are they nuts? Then what is the drink? All the other versions, with biscuits or carrot sticks I can understand. They're easy to grab. But this one seems impossible to work because the nuts(?) are too small*.

Thats obviously chili and oyster crackers. Which are special little octagon shaped soup crackers.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

It's oyster crackers with chili.

Edit EFB

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pomp posted:

The problem with this isn't that it's beef (I can't actually remember the last pork sausage I had), it's that you're gonna have a crumbly dog that's a pain in the rear end to cook with none of what actually makes a decent dog good, while also offering zero advantages over a hamburger.
It's a skinless sausage. Have you never heard of skinless sausages before? The dumb thing isn't the end result, it's the fact that someone would think it necessary to use that ridiculous device to make them.

New Leaf posted:

I never knew that thing existed, but I'd love one for my house. I have limited counter space and that would save a lot of room.
Surely you could just put a normal microwave oven in the space where you would install that and have all the advantages with none of the disadvantages.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

New Leaf posted:

Is there a reason you can't just use an over-the-range microwave like everyone else?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cat Hatter posted:

Is there a reason you can't just use an over-the-range microwave like everyone else?

I've only lived in one place that had a microwave over the range.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Inzombiac posted:

I've only lived in one place that had a microwave over the range.

Sorry, my post was in the wrong format. I'll fix it.

Lifehack: Need more counterspace? Stop living like a college student and buy an over-the-range microwave from anywhere that sells appliances to replace the range-hood you already have instead of tearing out a cabinet to install some stupid abortion of a microwave drawer that nobody sells because its a solution to a problem nobody has.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cat Hatter posted:

Lifehack: Need more counterspace? Stop living like a college student and buy an over-the-range microwave from anywhere that sells appliances to replace the range-hood you already have instead of tearing out a cabinet to install some stupid abortion of a microwave drawer that nobody sells because its a solution to a problem nobody has.
I've literally never seen a microwave installed above a stove and it sounds like it would destroy the microwave before too long. I don't see why you can't just put a normal microwave under the bench in place of a cabinet (which I have seen done) rather than getting a drawer-style one though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah, it's a modern version of things that have existed for a while.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Tiggum posted:

I've literally never seen a microwave installed above a stove and it sounds like it would destroy the microwave before too long. I don't see why you can't just put a normal microwave under the bench in place of a cabinet (which I have seen done) rather than getting a drawer-style one though.

Microwaves over the stove are extremely common in newer homes or ones with renovated kitchens. My parents and most of my friends parents have them. I've only ever seen those or countertop ones, never one built into an under the counter cabinet.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

Sorry, my post was in the wrong format. I'll fix it.

Optimizing your kitchen's cabinet space is serious business.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Anyone need a new wallet?

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

That does not look quantifiably better then an envelope.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

"Repeat steps 17-23"

No, no I will not.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

The perfect wallet for someone who never, ever sweats.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

My in-laws have one of these. It has separate buttons for opening and closing. I get irrationally angry every time I have to use it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, it's a modern version of things that have existed for a while.

I have one of these--they're pretty handy. No idea what the product's actual name is, but the box mine came in proudly proclaims that it's a "SOVEREIGN FOOD BASKET," and I'm not going to argue with that.

Nothing wrong with this one. A quality lifehack right here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey man, the number one safety warning that people ignore is the one on the box that says you shouldn't put q-tips in your ears, so if you can't do that, what can you do with them?

I feel Lifehacks provide a sound answer.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I have one of these--they're pretty handy. No idea what the product's actual name is, but the box mine came in proudly proclaims that it's a "SOVEREIGN FOOD BASKET," and I'm not going to argue with that.
Tiffin box. It's what I would have bought for myself but then I got the other one as a gift, and it's good enough. Does have the advantage of being microwave OK.

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

TASTE THE MEAT NOT THE HEAT

Tiggum posted:

Anecdotal, but the stove hasn't seemed to have affected the lifespan of the microwave in the house I'm renting. It was manufactured a year before I was born and doesn't seem to have any problems. Happy 25th birthday, microwave.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I think pretty much every microwave made to be mounted over the stove is also a vent hood, so they work well together with no danger of melting or catching fire under normal circumstances. As has been pointed out, they're practically standard here in the States these days; the alternative is a countertop microwave.

Lifehack: Don't pay extra for a special venting microwave! Just put a lovely college-kid-special microwave over your stove and enjoy the unique tang of melted plastic in your fried eggs!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Florida Betty posted:

My parents have one of these. I hate it, but they love that it's so out of the way. It's not as tall as a normal microwave, so you can't fit in high bowls, and there's no turntable inside, so you have to stop it and manually rotate things. And you're not supposed to manually open or close it, either, you have to press a button that takes a few seconds. It's really annoying. But supposedly it lasts longer than microwaves that are above stoves and I guess it does look cleaner than a microwave on the counter.

That sounds absolutely horrible to the point of being useless :stare:

Which is especially retarded when things like these exist:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

quote:

If you’re a student who only has 10 dollars to your name, here’s what you should do instead of splurging on a branded or “in-trend” wallet. Buy yourself a drink at Starbucks, to go, get your hands on one of their paper bags, and use that paper bag to make your very own, surprisingly awesome wallet.

Lifehack: Spend half your net worth on a coffee just to get a paper bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

walrusman posted:

Lifehack: Spend half your net worth on a coffee just to get a paper bag.

A better lifehack would be to hit on the barista at Starbucks just enough that she'll just let you have one of those bags for free. And if your time is too valuable to waste, just pick the ugliest one and save time! #LifeHax