Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah none of the creatures have really blown me away. A lot of them do neat things but not too many seem constructed playable, at least compared to some options now. Sarkhan is probably the best "creature" spoiled so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlsoD posted:

The creatures in this format seem incredibly pushed.

Yeah I'm going to chime in with everyone else. Most everything we've seen is really just a (high power/toughness) beater that doesn't replace itself if it gets killed.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
I think this was skipped over, but does anyone else notice how it says if the morph was a creature? Does this imply that there's gonna be non-creature permanents with Morph?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Again, am I missing something? We just had a 2gb 4/5 with three really good abilities. If this guy was a 4/5 for 3G, drain 3 gain 3, he'd be a boring uncommon at best. These are just really vanilla creatures and the rarity makes no sense.

I suppose I wasn't around for last shard block, but these are hardly never coming down t4 in limited, right?

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

neetengie posted:

I think this was skipped over, but does anyone else notice how it says if the morph was a creature? Does this imply that there's gonna be non-creature permanents with Morph?

Well they need to cover Zoetic Cavern and Lumithread Field from Future Sight.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

neetengie posted:

future sight had some non creature morphs
if it wasn't FUT it was something in the time spiral block

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

neetengie posted:

There already are: Lumithread Field, Zoetic Cavern, probably others I'm forgetting.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

There already are: Lumithread Field, Zoetic Cavern, probably others I'm forgetting.

RME posted:

I meant in this block.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

neetengie posted:

I hope so. I want morph instants and more morph lands.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

neetengie posted:

I think so. I can see something like an equipment with morph that turns from a 2/2 creature into a sword or something.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah none of the creatures have really blown me away. A lot of them do neat things but not too many seem constructed playable, at least compared to some options now. Sarkhan is probably the best "creature" spoiled so far.

I'm actually liking the creatures. They beg to be manipulated instead of just played for very obvious value, and I think that's a nice change from a very boring standard that built itself this past year. I think it also leaves some room for some great poo poo from Theros block to find a home. I'm really hoping some sort of combo deck emerges.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Well they need to cover Zoetic Cavern and Lumithread Field from Future Sight.

Dont forget Whetwheel!!

RME posted:

They were all in FUT.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Again, am I missing something? We just had a 2gb 4/5 with three really good abilities. If this guy was a 4/5 for 3G, drain 3 gain 3, he'd be a boring uncommon at best. These are just really vanilla creatures and the rarity makes no sense.

I suppose I wasn't around for last shard block, but these are hardly never coming down t4 in limited, right?

Draining for 3 is like pseudo haste, I think it's better than it looks. Reaper can tie down your mana if curves are relevant, so it's a real concern there. Plus, trample is pretty cool.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

neetengie posted:

That's just due to parasitic wording. Much like now we can't give +1/+1 to Soldiers, we have to give it to Soldier creatures due to tribal.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

neetengie posted:

I meant in this block.

Any card made will be templated to work correctly in older formats with existing versions

there might be in Dewey or Louie. but I doubt it in Khans.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Even if there aren't noncreature morphs in the set, they probably had to word it like that for eternal format reasons.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

AlsoD posted:

The creatures in this format seem incredibly pushed.
People say this every spoiler season for a new large block because they're showing off their flashiest stuff. Last year we were all drooling over Polukranos and Stormbreath Dragon.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's safer to be inelegant than to create something innocuous but nightmarish like Caged Sun, Progenitor Mimic, or Humility. Or Chromatic Sphere and Selvala.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

They're mostly really splashy creatures with big crazy effects but cost/benefit-wise they don't feel all that pushed to me. I feel like Innistrad would have pushed out Ankle Shanker in monored.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

GonSmithe posted:

Adamant Negation U
Intant
Counter target non-creature spell unless its controller pays 1.
Ferocious- Counter it instead.

Thats really good with 'Goyf. Really really good, perhaps even legacy playable.

This guy is pretty good as well, should see a good amount of standard play.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Bugsy posted:

Thats really good with 'Goyf. Really really good, perhaps even legacy playable.
I could see RUG Delver maybe swapping out a Spell Pierce for one or two of them.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

They're mostly really splashy creatures with big crazy effects but cost/benefit-wise they don't feel all that pushed to me. I feel like Innistrad would have pushed out Ankle Shanker in monored.

Innistrad didn't really have color bleed like that going on. Maybe New Phyrexia.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I just mean in terms of the kind of power they were comfortable printing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I hope so. I want morph instants and more morph lands.

Morph instants currently don't work with the rules and I really don't think there's much more design space than Zoetic Cavern for morph lands thanks to the fact that they can't be strictly better than basics.

Also morph non-creature stuff is less interesting now that damage no longer goes on the stack.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Magma Spray and Anger of the Gods aside, I really like that Phoenix in Standard. Does anyone know if it dying as a Morph or face-up trigger the returning effect?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Elyv posted:

Morph instants currently don't work with the rules and I really don't think there's much more design space than Zoetic Cavern for morph lands thanks to the fact that they can't be strictly better than basics.

Also morph non-creature stuff is less interesting now that damage no longer goes on the stack.

Willbender is a card. Split second is a thing. Why would it be any different? Like it'd be totally cool to respond with a morph instant that may or may not be worth countering then aha! it was totally not worth countering.

But then people will get the feelbads cuz it'll be similar to Miracles :rolleyes:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 8, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

meanolmrcloud posted:

I can't really get behind the idea that 4/5 at 4 CMC should be uncommon. That's some serious power creep. Polukranos can get away with that because he's Legendary and Mythic.

This guy is pretty good against burn, too. Of course, that requires Burn to be a thing in Khans - we only have 1/2 the set spoiled but so far the only playable burn spells are Lightning Strike and Crater's Claw.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
How would morph instants work? You can flip them while they're on the stack? What happens if you flip them once they've been a creature? Morph creatures dont actually resolve so a morph instant would do nothing once it's been a creature, afaik.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Its Boros Charm and Azorius Charm stapled together. I'm disappointed that they didn't use the indestructible mode of Boros Charm since that was the most bomby one.

Zoness posted:

How would morph instants work?

They don't. A non-permanent cannot exist on the battlefield as a permanent under the rules.

The way they get around this is by having creatures with abilities that go on the stack when flipped. There's no functional difference between that and an instant.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Willbender is a card. Split second is a thing. Why would it be any different? Like it'd be totally cool to respond with a morph instant that may or may not be worth countering then aha! it was totally not worth countering.

But then people will get the feelbads cuz it'll be similar to Miracles :rolleyes:

I don't mean morph triggers, those are fine. I remember reading somewhere that unmorphing an instant doesn't work the way we would all intuitively expect it to because it's still on the battlefield or something for a bit. I suppose that could be changed in the rules, similar to bestow, though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

How would morph instants work?

It's a 2/2 creature, when you turn it face up it resolves, I'd imagine, or just becomes cast if they don't wanna push it. Definitely can't work right now without changing the Comp Rules though.

I want to see Morph creatures fuelling a big combo of stuff. I know Combo in Standard isn't usually a good strategy but dammit, I want it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Elyv posted:

code:
Morphtain

Land - U

Morphtain enters the battlefield tapped.

Morph 0

When Morphtain is turned face up, add R to your mana pool.
It's a land that can ramp you by 1 if you pay (3) on an earlier turn!

Serperoth posted:

It's a 2/2 creature, when you turn it face up it resolves, I'd imagine, or just becomes cast if they don't wanna push it. Definitely can't work right now without changing the Comp Rules though.

I want to see Morph creatures fuelling a big combo of stuff. I know Combo in Standard isn't usually a good strategy but dammit, I want it.

The Golden Rule means they can totally do Morph instants if they really want to.

code:
Morphant Growth 1G

Instant - U

Morph G

If Morphant Growth would turn face up, instead put it on top of the stack face up.

Target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
I don't think they'd actually do these, since they're so complicated it would make Limited miserable, but the framework is in place if they decided to do so.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 8, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

If it does something when you turn it up what's the difference between that and just having a flip trigger on a creature?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

American charm is really cool but I wish it had the draw a card or indestructible grant instead of the middle portion.

Elyv posted:

I don't mean morph triggers, those are fine. I remember reading somewhere that unmorphing an instant doesn't work the way we would all intuitively expect it to because it's still on the battlefield or something for a bit. I suppose that could be changed in the rules, similar to bestow, though.
If it's already on the battlefield then it'll work just like willbender. If it's not, it'll be similar to split second. But yes it might need some clarifications.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Man I love griptide

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'd love to be wrong but Jeskai Charm is disappointing me because I feel like there isn't likely to be a deck that uses all three options unless a UWR mdirange tempo kind of thing appears just so.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'd love to be wrong but Jeskai Charm is disappointing me because I feel like there isn't likely to be a deck that uses all three options unless a UWR mdirange tempo kind of thing appears just so.

Quickling and illusory angel, remember? I really want quickling to be the 2nd coming of delver. We just need something useful and cheap to bounce. Maybe a mini thragtusk!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That charm is great. First mode is great in control. Second mode is great in control. Third mode has its uses.

But if you're playing Prowess tempo, they're all pretty great.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Here's the Delve card you were looking for:

This card is so good.

All of the delve cards are great, but I can't stop seeing it as a self consuming plan. If you have delve in your deck, it looks like you will need to intentionally not have many of them.

Too many delve cards and your graveyard isn't deep enough, then you have over costed spells.
Too many self mill cards and you end up exhausting/binning the delve cards you need.
Trying to passively feed Delve seems really inefficient

This card at 2B seems fair, since then it is a conditionally easier to cast Murder?

I don't think there will be a "delve" deck. I think there will be an "Empty the pits" deck, and then different decks that are already playing/splashing for black will use maybe 1 or 2 delve spells?

The exception being Sultai Ascendency, which is 3 mana scry 2 every turn...

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

If it does something when you turn it up what's the difference between that and just having a flip trigger on a creature?

That leaves behind a creature. Also, what I describe happens at Morph speed (resolves immediately), not as a triggered ability which goes on the stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

See, I feel the opposite way; I like the fact that the deck that wants the charm is somewhat narrow, as opposed to something that you just throw into any UWR deck.

• Locked thread