Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

skull wall posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/metalweavedesigns/the-baby-bestiary?ref=category_location

The art is great but.. did anyone really need this?

"let's get these baby monsters back IN the encounter tables to be slaughtered!!"

The pitch explicitly says the intent is to use them as an alternative to just slaughtering everything in your path. And given how often I've had players who wanted to raise various baby monsters, if I had money I'd definitely be interested in this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AxeManiac posted:

It would be handy if kickstarter had "Verified" accounts, to make sure the people are who they say they are. Do they do that?

You're suggesting kickstarter do something both responsible and that could get them less traffic/money.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

senrath posted:

The pitch explicitly says the intent is to use them as an alternative to just slaughtering everything in your path. And given how often I've had players who wanted to raise various baby monsters, if I had money I'd definitely be interested in this book.

Yeah, a player in a Pathfinder campaign I'm in just found a dinosaur egg and is planning to raise the thing so a book like this would be very helpful for him (and our GM).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Evil Fluffy posted:

You're suggesting kickstarter do something both responsible and that could get them less traffic/money.

If I were them, I wouldn't want to be on the hook for guaranteeing someone's identity, let alone through a corporate veil.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

senrath posted:

That incomplete pencil of the baby owlbears (BABY OWLBEARS!) certainly has my attention.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sometimes gaming media mentions women, this will not stand.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lawyers-against-gaming-corruption

loving LOL.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Sandweed posted:

loving LOL.

It's hilarious that this is what's getting so much attention, but most people don't care one bit about the deals going on between the gaming media and billion-dollar publishers.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

There are girly parts involved man!

Sandweed has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Sep 3, 2014

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sandweed posted:

loving LOL.

Of all the dumb things in the "gaming industry" or "gaming journalism" you could tilt against (literal payola, selling unfinished games, "crunch time" working conditions and layoffs, whatever), this is their hill to die on.

Someone who published a free video game about sadbrains had sex with people. She may have cheated on her boyfriend! This cannot stand.

Gamers, everyone.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sandweed posted:

loving LOL.

"Gamer Gate", holy poo poo talk about hyperbole.

The Zoe Quinn, heh, "Gamer Gate" is the perfect "scandal" for observers because both sides are lovely and you can laugh at everyone involved without feeling bad. It's the story of a serial cheater and drama queen with pale blue hair versus raging misogynists who see women as a mortal threat to gaming. It's just idiots all around.

And of course the Indiegogo campaign is using flexible funding. Of course.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Chomp8645 posted:

"Gamer Gate", holy poo poo talk about hyperbole.

The Zoe Quinn, heh, "Gamer Gate" is the perfect "scandal" for observers because both sides are lovely and you can laugh at everyone involved without feeling bad. It's the story of a serial cheater and drama queen with pale blue hair versus raging misogynists who see women as a mortal threat to gaming. It's just idiots all around.

And of course the Indiegogo campaign is using flexible funding. Of course.

Yeah it's pretty great, I've been laughing all week.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/rn-estudio-humans-vs-orcs-fantasy-football-teams

Fantasy monsters playing American football. Honestly no one with a soul can get mad at "ripping off" industry super-villain Games Workshop's Bloodbowl. Pretty sure they're not even the first.

However someone on their facebook page points out the fact that it looks very much like they blatantly plagiarized a Privateer Press Hordes Trollblood model and added some extra bits:

Their response to being called out on this is to claim it was not plagerism because they were putting it on a different sized base, and beside you could just order a pledge level without the offending model, right?!

https://www.facebook.com/196900433730687/photos/a.268589333228463.66085.196900433730687/714463188641073/?type=1&theater

quote:

quote:

I see. So if someone made a near-identical copy of your miniatures, but slightly larger and for wargaming, that would be okay with you?

Sorry guys, but I can't support this campaign. It's a shame, since I quite liked the human team, but I won't give you money to copy someone else's IP. I realise that not having my dollar means very little in a practical sense, but I hope it makes you pause for at least a moment. I doubt it will though, given your replies.

if you like the human team, you can choose the 55 euros 12 team and the 75 euros 16 team, in this team no appear the trol...

IN THIS TEAM NO APPEAR THE TROLL

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I love bloodbowl and I'd be cool with somebody competing with them for sure. But when you look at the kickstarter, there's just no way half those characters aren't directly based on warhammer FB Orkz and Empire soldiers. The other half that aren't games workshop figures appear to be knockoffs of other companies' figures.

Games Workshop has a tendency to sick the lawyers on anybody who even comes close, which is ridiculous, and they deserve to have some competition. But this isn't competition, its theft.

Stealing IP is a Kickstarter tradition.

Plus, "Humans vs Orcs Fantasy Football" ? They didn't even try to come up with a name. Somebody out there really wants to make a miniatures game but has literally zero creative capability whatsoever. :haw:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

They link to a site that comprehensively debunks the whole thing, just in case anyone was thinking of giving them more cash: http://drop-kicker.com/2014/08/ritot-projection-watch/

"Now that also depends on the reflectance of the 'screen' material.  Someone with very dark skin may find it especially difficult to see. It’s no wonder they chose primarily white and asian stock photos to show off the renderings of their product."

They designed a watch that literally only tells time for white people.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sandweed posted:

loving LOL.

quote:

This is Being Cancelled
Currently trying to work with Indiegogo to try and refund. Please be patient with us and support the #gamergate cause.
We apologize for the inconvience and are trying to get a rush on things but there's a 24 hour turnover time and no direct phone number.
In the meantime, we please ask you to email Indiegogo and demand a refund. We have yet to even input any account information so they are still holding the funds.
Please email us if you have any questions, communication is key if we want to get a refund process started. lawyersagainstgamingcorruption@gmail.com

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah GW doesn't make BloodBowl models anymore but its a pretty heavily played game so there is a huge industry of companies making 3rd party BB miniatures. Almost all of them are pretty copyright infringement heavy but GW doesn't really care since the community basically writes all the rules and does all the legwork for the and all it does is build popularity to sell more videogames.

Also those dudes are in Spain, which has a very loose definition of copyright law and an extremely short period for public domain works (IIRC HeroQuest is in the public domain there). Although in America as long as you used no copyrighted names or imagery you could in theory reprint an entire board game with no issues. It goes back to a number of cases but the big one was a lawsuit over a game called The Farming Game being a ripoff of Monopoly, where the judge ruled that you cant copyright board game rules or mechanics.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah GW doesn't make BloodBowl models anymore but its a pretty heavily played game so there is a huge industry of companies making 3rd party BB miniatures. Almost all of them are pretty copyright infringement heavy but GW doesn't really care since the community basically writes all the rules and does all the legwork for the and all it does is build popularity to sell more videogames.

Also those dudes are in Spain, which has a very loose definition of copyright law and an extremely short period for public domain works (IIRC HeroQuest is in the public domain there). Although in America as long as you used no copyrighted names or imagery you could in theory reprint an entire board game with no issues. It goes back to a number of cases but the big one was a lawsuit over a game called The Farming Game being a ripoff of Monopoly, where the judge ruled that you cant copyright board game rules or mechanics.

GW kills of all the games that are relatively cheap and fun. I miss Battlefleet Gothic.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Morglon posted:

GW kills of all the games that are relatively cheap and fun. I miss Battlefleet Gothic.

I'd say were a short time away from someone at GW or FFG realizing how profitable X-Wing and Attack Wing have been and then ebaying BFG prices.
Sure the last time they did this was an epic failure, but GW has the memory, solipsism and object permanence of a six month old crack baby.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Otisburg posted:

They designed a watch that literally only tells time for white people.

they designed a watch that tells time for no one. It uses racist light that doesn't bounce off dark surfaces ugh

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I'd say were a short time away from someone at GW or FFG realizing how profitable X-Wing and Attack Wing have been and then ebaying BFG prices.

See there you're making the mistake of assuming GW has a marketing department that looks at these sorts of things, when in reality they proudly trumpet the fact that they have no marketing department and do no market research at all.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

unpacked robinhood posted:

they designed a watch that tells time for no one. It uses racist light that doesn't bounce off dark surfaces ugh

well yes the dark surfaces thing is a subset of the problem that it won't work at all, i just thought it was funny

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
Falling (September 11th, 2001)

quote:

Still I struggled to convince financial backers to get behind my vision but I refused to quit on the story. That brings us back to the proof of concept short featured in this project. While there are plenty of errors that remain unacceptable in a finished film, I feel after finishing that short I was able to gain a lifetime of experience.

On the film I did absolutely everything except move the camera, giving my a real hands on experience. My girlfriend helped me out and we tried once again to create excitement for my idea and ultimately create awareness for the people that lost their lives that day.

The concept video as I said is completely self made so it obviously lacks a cast and therefore has only voices in place of what would be cuts to other cast. So the short is not a complete look at how the finished film will ultimately look as there is very limited camera movement and the structure is just a basic concept of the finished story.

WHY...WHY IS THA DOOR SO SAWLID??

Trollipop has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Sep 5, 2014

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress it's terrible. Maybe it's passable, maybe it's an okay idea... and then BAM the Brooklyn accents from a couple of Manitobans, sweet mother Jesus.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
I was dying with laughter. If he keeps the same production quality in future videos he could definitely do comedy - the kind that's funny because the creators pour their heart and soul into it and it's absolutely awful in the best way possible

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
poo poo, that was really awful. Sound design is maybe the worst I've ever seen, and boy do those Garageband rock loops get my pulse racing! His problems weren't just budgetary, even things like editing and basic set design were completely inept. He should start by casting someone besides himself because I couldn't stop thinking of Vince Offer whenever he opened his mouth. Also, dear lord, didn't he have ONE female friend he could get as the voice of the wife? If this guy wants to make anything remotely serious, he needs to make more lovely little films as practice because he has a LONG way to go.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Guy looks like Matthew Gray Gubler.

Matthew Grey Gublar can actually act and direct though. I'd like to see him do a kickstarter, honestly.

He couldn't even get another guy to play the TV person? It's clearly him putting on a deep voice.

The editing :stare:

And his female voice sounds like something John Waters would come up with. Who is other person he's talking to? Is his co-worker invisible? World Trade Centre might have been a film of somewhat questionable taste and intentions, but at least Oliver Stone knew how to make a movie. This is the third kickstarter he's made for it too - maybe people don't want to pay for someone's rather tasteless homemade 9/11 tribute?

OldMemes has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Sep 5, 2014

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012
Finally someone is disrupting umbrellas

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1369020620/umbrella-here-light-up-your-umbrella-for-sharing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... Why is one of the prizes playing a game of League of Legends with them?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Yes because when it's pouring out I really just want to share my umbrella with some jerk.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rosalind posted:

Yes because when it's pouring out I really just want to share my umbrella with some jerk.

That jerk can then go to the app and find your name and facebook ID just by inputting the time and place they met you. The app also tracks users' current locations and records their past routes which is just the information you want stored on a crowdfunded program created by four teenaged students who don't seem overly concerned about online security. :downs:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That jerk can then go to the app and find your name and facebook ID just by inputting the time and place they met you. The app also tracks users' current locations and records their past routes which is just the information you want stored on a crowdfunded program created by four teenaged students who don't seem overly concerned about online security. :downs:

Is there a deluxe version where it blinks out my social security number in Morse code?

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012
This is a case of taking the "The customer doesn't know what it needs" Steve Jobs' School to the extreme.

Seriously, it's okay to be innovative and all that but do some marketing research before launching your niche product.

DoctorPresident has a new favorite as of 21:53 on Sep 8, 2014

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Is this parody or real? I can't tell anymore.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
The really dumb thing is that I could see some niche usage for a detachable umbrella light. You know, it can get really dark when it rains, if you're walking the extra light could be okay to have.

But a creepy tracking umbrella? Yeesh no, no.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DoctorPresident posted:

Seriously, it's okay to be innovative and all that but do some marketing research before launching your niche product.

I think this is their market research.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Can I specify exactly who I'm willing to share my umbrella with using this umbrella grindr app? Like what if I don't want to share it with a Chinese?

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I think this is their market research.

"Now you can be the consumer and investor!"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DoctorPresident posted:

"Now you can be the consumer and investor!"

Kickstarter backers aren't investors. You can do better than that. (Though it's pretty common for actual investors to invest in products or services that they themselves find useful.)

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin

But can their umbrella double as a fuckin weapon to fend off attackers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Might as well just go all the way, with a flimsy blade concealed in your umbrella

http://www.swordsdirect.com/swords-rapier-umbrella.html