Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

He had an A/T running for a while, but it might be in the archives by now. His latest A/T is about growing up in a Christian Doomsday Home-Schooling cult in NE Ohio, and it's a pretty harrowing read.

I should add, Prester John, I'm glad to hear you're getting better/got a place to live now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cheekio posted:

Does how nice a place factor into it or do you care more about having a lock you can put between you and the world? Sounds interesting, if you did and ask tell I'd read it.

Both are really big factors. Having my own place that I can feel secure in a is a mighty big deal, and reduces my stress/anxiety. The ability to choose when and under what circumstances to engage the outside world under, and to be able to retreat whenever I feel I need to make a vast difference. Just having any sort of inviolable space that I feel secure in really makes a difference.

Almost equally as big of a difference though is living in a "nice" place. When I was homeless there was constantly so much bad poo poo going on around me that it was like I had to shut a part of myself off to it. I'm not seeing people being revived from the literal edge of death from Heroine overdoses anymore and I'm not needing a couple days to nerve myself up to using the shower. (You really do not want to know why the showers at a homeless shelter are even worse than you imagine the bathrooms being.) I see happy families loading up the car for a day BBQ-ing at the park or trash free sidewalks lining the shady walk to my apartment from the bus stop.

Which makes a bigger difference ("Nice" place vs "Any" place) is really hard to tell, honestly. From my personal experience I could argue it either way.

If I do another thread it will be about homelessness as well as the associated problems of mental illness and substance abuse, since the three are so intertwined its almost impossible to speak of them separately. I wouldn't want it to be just my experiences though, we have plenty of goons with their own experiences to share. The topic of homelessness/mental illness/substance abuse is so broad that I think perhaps the best way to learn about it is to just hear other people share their own experiences, rather than a more systematized approach.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Prester John posted:

Both are really big factors. Having my own place that I can feel secure in a is a mighty big deal, and reduces my stress/anxiety. The ability to choose when and under what circumstances to engage the outside world under, and to be able to retreat whenever I feel I need to make a vast difference. Just having any sort of inviolable space that I feel secure in really makes a difference.

Almost equally as big of a difference though is living in a "nice" place. When I was homeless there was constantly so much bad poo poo going on around me that it was like I had to shut a part of myself off to it. I'm not seeing people being revived from the literal edge of death from Heroine overdoses anymore and I'm not needing a couple days to nerve myself up to using the shower. (You really do not want to know why the showers at a homeless shelter are even worse than you imagine the bathrooms being.) I see happy families loading up the car for a day BBQ-ing at the park or trash free sidewalks lining the shady walk to my apartment from the bus stop.

Which makes a bigger difference ("Nice" place vs "Any" place) is really hard to tell, honestly. From my personal experience I could argue it either way.

If I do another thread it will be about homelessness as well as the associated problems of mental illness and substance abuse, since the three are so intertwined its almost impossible to speak of them separately. I wouldn't want it to be just my experiences though, we have plenty of goons with their own experiences to share. The topic of homelessness/mental illness/substance abuse is so broad that I think perhaps the best way to learn about it is to just hear other people share their own experiences, rather than a more systematized approach.

I have been hearing a lot more about programs that grant homeless people no-strings apartments. Did you get your apartment through such a program? The articles I've read have been glowing with verifiable data about the benefit of doing so. (I look forward to reading a thread about your experiences.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm sure that Rush and co. will be reporting this as a regular thing that happens all the time and white people should be very scared.

quote:

“They were playing a game called ‘point them out, knock them out.’ Where they would point someone out and attempt to knock them out or fight them. There was no real reason behind it.

It's wise to avoid all internet comments associated with this incident.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

I'm sure that Rush and co. will be reporting this as a regular thing that happens all the time and white people should be very scared.

It's wise to avoid all internet comments associated with this incident.

I wonder if he'll include the new Ray Rice video as an example of this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

Reminder that a ton of people were defending Rice by saying that "we don't know what happened on that elevator". Welp.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I'm homeless. This is how it happened. I was working at a call center outside Redmond, WA. I was good at it. I've worked call centers before. And they sent our jobs to India. Then I started drinking heavily while collecting unemployment that barely paid my rent. I tried and tried to get work while the economy was still hosed, and now I was a straight up have to have a drink when I wake up drunk. My family has moved out of the northwest. I'm back to Portland (well outside it anyways) where I grew up.

It is loving horrible. I'm able to hold a job, I've done it many times, but as its been said not having an address fucks you. I've even gotten sober a few times and had job interviews but just sleeping and showering become huge problems. I'm not looking for sympathy just letting you all know how easy this can happen and I live in Portland, like the most homeless friendly city in the country. But I'm so scared I camp in a city 20 miles away.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Open for business for pill mills!

Funnily enough most of those got shut down, which is why heroin's made a big comeback the past few years.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Neeksy posted:

Because that's where your job and family and friends and connections all live. Moving is expensive and trying to find a job remotely before moving to it is difficult.

Yeah I understand perfectly trying to find a job outside commuting distance. I think I've totalled 8 months of job searching since graduating in '12. Mostly due to living in desolate pits void of any fun chemistry. Finally just said gently caress it and moved to a city (that isn't rent gouged to all hell) and it still took 4 months to get an offer for FT job.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
Prester John, I'm glad to hear that your situation has improved.

Speaking of politicians & the homeless, I just saw this article in the local paper. Apparently panhandling has been illegal here for a while (news to me, I see people begging on corners all the time downtown) but our police chief is pushing the city council to go the extra mile and make it illegal to give to panhandlers. Fortunately, the ordinance is only a draft that hasn't been presented yet so there is still time to try and fight it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

karlor posted:

Prester John, I'm glad to hear that your situation has improved.

Speaking of politicians & the homeless, I just saw this article in the local paper. Apparently panhandling has been illegal here for a while (news to me, I see people begging on corners all the time downtown) but our police chief is pushing the city council to go the extra mile and make it illegal to give to panhandlers. Fortunately, the ordinance is only a draft that hasn't been presented yet so there is still time to try and fight it.

The only area where I agree that panhandling and giving to panhandlers should be discouraged (because I don't want to see full bans with penalties at all) is on roadways and intersections. I do wish that cops would make people move and prevent people from holding up traffic trying to give cash to people out their car windows due to the danger and problems it causes. Don't arrest them, don't write tickets, just tell the panhandlers to move to a different area away from the road and tell people to keep traffic flowing.

Now don't get me wrong, I see no problem with giving people cash or buying them a meal if they ask. I do that myself. But on the roadway I've seen far too many close calls and idiots holding up traffic panhandling on a busy highway.

There is one intersection by my parents place where it's a huge issue. There is an interstate that feeds into a 6 lane split high way and at the intersection it goes down to 4 lane, then 2 lane route. Traffic is bad enough. But at that intersection there are always 4 or so panhandlers who just run around all the lanes panhandling and more often than not they are still in the road when the lights change. More than a few times people have been hit trying to get back to the median. Also common are people getting rear ended because people speeding up from the interstate don't slow down and fail to notice that a car is trying to give one last bit of cash to a panhandler.

That's the kind of thing that should be discouraged. It's an actual public safety issue. But just pushing for a ban on giving to panhandlers is only going to cause problems for charities and support groups who set up tables to help the homeless in a public area. It's going to be used only to further make the poor and homeless "invisible". It's not going to solve anything and will make things worse, but less visible so rich assholes in McMansions going to the ABC for overpriced wine can feel like they live in a "good" area that has "solved" their homeless problem.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
A lot of the bans on panhandling end up running into really big First Amendment issues. Of course, it's not like the average homeless person can afford a lawyer to litigate that.

Question: if you're homeless, how do you post? Phone app? I'd always assumed that the SA forums readership bottomed out at "living in Mom's basement" on the economic scale, just due to the need for internet access and (probably) video game habit(s).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 8, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Fragmented posted:

I'm not looking for sympathy just letting you all know how easy this can happen and I live in Portland, like the most homeless friendly city in the country.

Aren't they trying to bring back the sit-lie ordinance, though?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

computer parts posted:

It's amazing how the NFL will go after players for violent acts on the field (or any acts if your James Harrison) but something like this they'd try to bury if at all possible and lightly punish otherwise. Here's hoping Ray Rice suffers a particularly horrific accident one day.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sounds like he might not have that chance.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2014/09/08/baltimore-ravens-cut-ray-rice/15291729/

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Question: if you're homeless, how do you post? Phone app? I'd always assumed that the SA forums readership bottomed out at "living in Mom's basement" on the economic scale, just due to the need for internet access and (probably) video game habit(s).
Well, like I said, I'm not anymore, but internet was super easy to get. I had a laptop, and learned where I could get free wifi to use it. I also logged in at libraries (you can't check out books when you're homeless, which sucks balls since I would have loved to have read before bed every night with free books, but you can use the internet at least!)

If I found myself in that situation nowadays, I'd be able to post via my smartphone easy enough, though. (it's an $80 phone that costs me $40 a month for "unlimited" internet access, more than good enough for posting on forums)

But internet was never actually particularly difficult. Certainly cheaper and easier than things like food and showers.

I also had internet at work.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think the average person would tell you to just get information forwarded to you to, say, a P.O. box if you don't have a stable address. As someone with experience in that situation, I assume that's a lot more impractical than it sounds.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Guess which Ebola-ridden ISIS terrorist entered the US illegally.

Time to build a fence along the length of Lake Erie!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Keep him in prison until his money dries up.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Where I live there are a lot of panhandlers who end up on the medians by freeway onramps. It's usually desert landscaping so they just stand on the rocky landscape that's hedged in by concrete right by the traffic lights. Now however people are noticing that Cholla is being planted in the exact spots that they stand (aka. the ideal spot to hold a sign and collect donations from commuters).

Cholla is one of the nastiest members of the cacti family. The spines are dense, needle sharp and very brittle so they fracture and multiply easily once they're on you. As well the branches are these small segmented cylinders so small lengths of the cactus can easily fall off and roll around and after a while even the ground around the Cholla is treacherous. So the conspiracy talk around here is they're being deployed as a countermeasure against panhandlers.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I wonder, did he enter Canada in his jihadi costume, or did he travel all the way to the border as Trustworthy White Man and switch things up there to make a point?

I thought so.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

JT Jag posted:

I think the average person would tell you to just get information forwarded to you to, say, a P.O. box if you don't have a stable address. As someone with experience in that situation, I assume that's a lot more impractical than it sounds.

Lots of stuff doesn't just require a stable address, it requires "proof of residency".

Which reminds me that in my glorious state (and many others) you cannot legally drive if you are homeless, since being a legal driver requires proof of residency. (Oregon is a wonderful exception here)

Although apparently many homeless shelters have stuff in place to let you use them as an address for this purpose.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 8, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Bhaal posted:

Where I live there are a lot of panhandlers who end up on the medians by freeway onramps. It's usually desert landscaping so they just stand on the rocky landscape that's hedged in by concrete right by the traffic lights. Now however people are noticing that Cholla is being planted in the exact spots that they stand (aka. the ideal spot to hold a sign and collect donations from commuters).

Cholla is one of the nastiest members of the cacti family. The spines are dense, needle sharp and very brittle so they fracture and multiply easily once they're on you. As well the branches are these small segmented cylinders so small lengths of the cactus can easily fall off and roll around and after a while even the ground around the Cholla is treacherous. So the conspiracy talk around here is they're being deployed as a countermeasure against panhandlers.

So not only are they deterring panhandling they're keeping the local tire stores in business from all the loving flats caused by errant needles and cylinders? JOB CREATORS!

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

I don't doubt folks can boat across from Canada with good odds of not getting caught, but knowing James O'Keefe, I'd almost bet there's an edited out stop by the Coast Guard or a suspicious cop or something.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

This is so loving dumb. The article talks like he proved the exact scenario could happen, but all he really did was dress like a ninja, do some roleplaying, and take a boat across Lake Erie.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Around Austin there probably isn't a 4-lane/4-lane intersection with a median that doesn't have panhandlers at it. The law, as I understand it, is that the city can't do anything about it because the medians belong to TXDOT and TXDOT has a billion other things they need to spend the money they don't have on. The city leadership has certainly tried because in many ways Austin's political class ceases to be liberal the instant it might negatively affect them in any way.

Where things get frustrating is that the guy with the *hilarious* "wife and kids kidnapped by ninjas, need $$$ for kung-fu lessons!" sign or the guy who's 4 year old kid has been "too cute for cancer" for five years now becomes the face of homelessness for the majority of people. They can then justify opposing any homeless programs in a way they couldn't if they knew the true "average" homeless person would be something like the woman and kids that bolted to get away from an abuser, the GLBT teenager who got thrown out, or the guy who lost his job and is living out of his car while picking up day work.

Anyway there is a scammy "church" group here who are 1000x worse about aggressive panhandling than the homeless ever are.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!
I know it's a pipe dream, but Sanders is pushing for a vote on a constitutional amendment to overturn the Citizens United decision.

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/recent-business/overturn-citizens-united2

What are the chances it even makes it to the floor?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Got real excited when I thought that little wiener had ebola.

Send him to Liberia for real or report his disgusting slander of the glorious Islamic State IMO.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

Around Austin there probably isn't a 4-lane/4-lane intersection with a median that doesn't have panhandlers at it. The law, as I understand it, is that the city can't do anything about it because the medians belong to TXDOT and TXDOT has a billion other things they need to spend the money they don't have on. The city leadership has certainly tried because in many ways Austin's political class ceases to be liberal the instant it might negatively affect them in any way.

Where things get frustrating is that the guy with the *hilarious* "wife and kids kidnapped by ninjas, need $$$ for kung-fu lessons!" sign or the guy who's 4 year old kid has been "too cute for cancer" for five years now becomes the face of homelessness for the majority of people. They can then justify opposing any homeless programs in a way they couldn't if they knew the true "average" homeless person would be something like the woman and kids that bolted to get away from an abuser, the GLBT teenager who got thrown out, or the guy who lost his job and is living out of his car while picking up day work.

Anyway there is a scammy "church" group here who are 1000x worse about aggressive panhandling than the homeless ever are.

The last time I went to Austin we stopped at a light and some homeless guys came up and started washing our car. We of course felt obliged to pay them for the service (it was pretty clever if nothing else).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

computer parts posted:

The last time I went to Austin we stopped at a light and some homeless guys came up and started washing our car. We of course felt obliged to pay them for the service (it was pretty clever if nothing else).
This happens in Mexico all the time, from what I remember.

They'll sometimes :ninja: up to your car. Some folks even turn their wiper sprays outwards to discourage them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JT Jag posted:

I wonder, did he enter Canada in his jihadi costume, or did he travel all the way to the border as Trustworthy White Man and switch things up there to make a point?

I thought so.

His solution is also what, a massive security apparatus that would actively patrol the borders and require tens of thousands of agents? I'm sure this won't come up in any right wing circlejerk interviews he does.

Or that Cleveland's water supply comes straight from Erie without any sort of heavy filtration and purification? Sure it's Cleveland but even they have some standards.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Shifty Pony posted:

Those people make my blood boil.

I know some downtown bar managers (ok I know 1 downtown bar manager) who's really liberal but who's also super against giving money to panhandlers. I'm downtown sometimes for technical meetups etc. and I am therefore torn. I usually will hand over a little cash if I have some. It's a really lovely situation.

The phenomenon of panhandlers concocting weird elaborate stories about being stuck needing just $3 to get something for their car or whatever fascinates me. Surely some sociology grad student has written a thesis about that. I mean some of these people are probably ill but it can't be all of them. Well I guess maybe it could be :smith:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
In both O'Keefe border crossings he is unarmed, in the Canadian one he has bags labeled 'ricin' I guess we should just ignore how hard it would be for anyone in the Americas to get their hands on high explosives, or for someone without documentation to get heavy weapons (if a jihadi did shoot up a public place how different would that be from any other incident? And poisoning the water supply? That's just part of life in WV). But the Daily Mail does mention he is 'Ebola-infested' to maximize the booga-booga.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FilthyImp posted:

This happens in Mexico all the time, from what I remember.

They'll sometimes :ninja: up to your car. Some folks even turn their wiper sprays outwards to discourage them.

They used to be a big problem in NYC, too, until Giuliani cracked down on them.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Prosopagnosiac posted:

I know it's a pipe dream, but Sanders is pushing for a vote on a constitutional amendment to overturn the Citizens United decision.

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/recent-business/overturn-citizens-united2

None because he's trying to limit the first amendment.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

computer parts posted:

This phenomenon is so common there is a wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeegee_man

Anecdote: I see these dudes pretty often in Los Angeles, and many gas stations don't have squeegees and never replace them because they get stolen. Fine by me, let someone else turn it into a business; I never wash my filthy car :smug:

Chard fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 8, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Amergin posted:

Which a subsequent amendment could do, of course.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Amergin posted:

Here we go again! *laugh track*

Regarding the homeless discussion, I think it really illustrates how unsympathetic and oftentimes outright disdainful people are towards the poor. Mental issues and drug addiction aside, it's bad enough out there that people with degrees are working minimum wage service jobs, why on earth would anyone hire a person who may not even be able to reliably shower every day? If the deck were that stacked against me I would pretty much be looking for the fastest way to overdose.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I still have my smart phone and there is WiFi everywhere. I might sleep in a tent but gently caress if I'm going to miss out on game of thrones and reading somethingawful. You would be suprised how many homeless have at least a smart phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Prosopagnosiac posted:

Live now: http://www.c-span.org/video/?320891-1/us-senate-morning-business&live

Chuck Grassley, DBAG-Iowa is arguing that the democrats are trying to destroy the first amendment