Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
So what do we think about the new Jaaaaaaag? http://m.autoblog.com/2014/09/08/2016-jaguar-xe-deep-dive-photos-official/?post=1&icid=autoblog_river_article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Looks like a Mazda 6

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Mazda6 is far better looking than this snoozefest. If anything it looks like a mashup of a Ford Fusion and a Volvo S60. Not bad but pretty boring. Also the vent on the fender thing has really jumped the shark now.

I think it's substantially lighter than most of the competition which is mildly interesting, but then it probably won't be available with a manual so who cares.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Throatwarbler posted:

Also the vent on the fender thing has really jumped the shark now.
Oh thank you, someone who agrees with me on this.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Throatwarbler posted:

The Mazda6 is far better looking than this snoozefest. If anything it looks like a mashup of a Ford Fusion and a Volvo S60. Not bad but pretty boring. Also the vent on the fender thing has really jumped the shark now.

I think it's substantially lighter than most of the competition which is mildly interesting, but then it probably won't be available with a manual so who cares.

Mantran buyers are deffo the Jag demographic, they're really dropping the ball on this one.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

n8r posted:

Mantran buyers are deffo the Jag demographic, they're really dropping the ball on this one.

Excellent point but Jaguar has been testing a manual F-Type on the Nurburgring lately.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I really like the new Jag. It has nice, clean, and understated lines. It would be nice if they made an R version with a V8 but we'll see.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I like the front, the profile view looks OK, the back is eh. The side vent is loving stupid as heck, at least they should have done a vertical one if they really felt the need.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
New Mercedes AMG GT Revealed

autocar posted:

This is the new Mercedes-AMG GT – the second series-production model from Mercedes-Benz’s performance car division in Affalterbach, Germany, following on from the recently discontinued SLS AMG.

The rear-wheel-drive performance coupé shares elements of its body structure with its predecessor and is the first Mercedes-AMG model to use a newly developed twin-turbocharged 4.0-litre V8 engine.

The GT is scheduled to reach the UK during the first quarter of next year.

“With the new GT, we are positioning Mercedes-AMG even more aggressively than to date,” said the CEO of AMG, Tobias Moers.

Buyers will be able to choose between a standard GT and a more powerful GT S, although only the GT S is planned for delivery initially. The two are set apart visually by different bumpers, tailpipes and wheels.

Pricing is not planned to be made public until orders start in October. However, it's believed that the standard GT will be priced from around £95,000, with the GT S commanding a premium at around £110,000. Either way, that's significantly less than the £168,485 of the SLS AMG.

Both GT models are powered by AMG’s new ‘M178’ engine. Developed from scratch, the direct-injection 4.0-litre V8 is unique among production road car engines in featuring twin turbochargers mounted inside the cylinder banks.

This configuration makes for a compact design, optimum throttle response and reduced emissions, claims Mercedes-AMG, because of closely coupled catalytic converters.

The new engine receives dry-sump lubrication and is mounted behind the front axle line in what Mercedes-AMG describes as a front-mid positioning.

It provides the standard GT with 456bhp at 6000rpm and 442lb ft of torque between 1600rpm and 5000rpm. With added boost pressure and other internal tweaks for the GT S, the 90deg V8’s outputs rise to 503bhp at 6250rpm and 479lb ft from 1750-4750rpm.

Like the SLS, the new coupé is based around a lightweight aluminium body structure, which is claimed to weigh 231kg. In a bid to shed weight and reduce its centre of gravity, the new car eschews the heavy gullwing-style doors of the SLS in favour of regular front-hinged doors.

In standard GT guise, it tips the scales at 1540kg and the GT S comes in at 1570kg. This gives them respective power-to-weight ratios of 296bhp per tonne and 320bhp per tonne.

Channelling the GT’s reserves to the rear wheels is a revised version of the Getrag-engineered seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox used on the SLS. Mounted at the rear in a transaxle layout and offering both manual and automatic shifting, it helps to provide the new car with a 47 per cent front and 53 per cent rear weight distribution.

The revised gearbox offers up to five different driving modes: Controlled Efficiency, Sport, Sport Plus, Individual and – on the GT S only – Race.

Both models receive a standard locking differential. But whereas the GT receives a mechanical unit, the GT S is fitted with an electronic function that is claimed to provide greater sensitivity by varying the locking effect in acceleration and overrun.

Official performance figures give the GT a 0-62mph time of 4.0sec and a top speed of 189mph. The GT S is claimed to possess slightly sharper performance, with a 0-62mph of 3.8sec and a maximum speed of 193mph.

Combined cycle fuel consumption is put at 30.4mpg for the GT and 30.1mpg for the GT S, correlating to average CO2 emissions of 216g/km and 219g/km respectively.

Continuing developments brought to the earlier SLS AMG Black Series, the GT uses a damper unit to reduce what AMG describes as “undesirable rolling motion of the drivetrain” for added handling precision. Going one step further, the GT S also receives active driveline mounts, which continuously vary the damping effect and act independently on the engine and transaxle.

A bespoke double wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension fashioned largely from aluminium underpins the new coupé. Allied to electro-mechanical steering whose assistance alters with speed and lateral acceleration, as well as three-stage stability control, it is claimed to give the GT more neutral on-the-limit behaviour than the SLS.

The GT receives 19-inch wheels shod with 255/35 front and 295/35 rear tyres. The GT S sports a combination of 19-inch wheels with 265/35 tyres up front and 20-inch wheels with 295/30 rubber at the rear.

Alongside standard road tyres, the new car can be ordered with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres as part of an AMG Dynamic Plus pack.

Helping to rein in the GT’s colossal performance are standard 360mm front and rear ventilated and cross-drilled steel disc brakes. They are increased to 390mm at the front on the GT S. As an option, buyers can specify the new car with carbon-ceramic discs that measure 402mm at the front and 360mm at the rear, bringing further savings in unsprung weight and performance gains.

The styling of the GT retains the exaggerated proportions of the SLS, albeit with more contemporary detailing. As well as receiving front-hinged doors in preference to the SLS’s gullwing arrangement, the new Mercedes-AMG model adopts a liftback-style tailgate in place of a conventional bootlid.

This is intended to improve the car’s everyday practicality by allowing easier access to the luggage compartment, whose capacity is put at 350 litres.

As part of efforts to provide the new car with greater handling prowess than its predecessor, the GT also boasts slightly smaller dimensions than the SLS. Exact figures have yet to be revealed, although Mercedes-AMG officials have confirmed that the new car has a shorter wheelbase and more compact overhangs than its predecessor.

Among the aerodynamic developments is an active rear spoiler. It deploys from the rear of the tailgate at speed to increase the car’s downforce.

Rumours have suggested that a roadster variant of the GT could be launched in 2016, but these have been denied by Mercedes-AMG, which is keen to see the new car positioned as an uncompromised racer for the road. “The car is manufactured according to our motto ‘Handcrafted by racers’, which perfectly encapsulates our heritage and spirit,” said Moers.

The cars the Mercedes-AMG GT must beat

The new Mercedes-AMG GT is launching into a very crowded segment. A couple of years ago, Lamborghini revealed that the market for what it calls “super-sports cars” had taken a huge hammering during the global credit crunch.

Sales at the tail end of the boom in this market had bulged globally to about 35,000 vehicles annually. After the crunch, this niche shrank back to just 25,000 units, and although it will have risen somewhat over the past 24 months, this is still a very hard-fought niche.

It is, of course, a potentially highly profitable segment, as Porsche’s 911 Turbo proves, with its industry-leading cash profit per unit. Car makers are clearly aware of this and there are plenty of new products in the super-sports car market.

Lamborghini has just refreshed its range and McLaren’s upcoming P13 family will be aimed at this market when it arrives in September 2015. A batch of new Aston Martins are also planned over the next few years (ironically, sharing much of the AMG GT’s

powertrain and electrical tech). Ferrari, the strongest player after Porsche’s range-topping 911, is committed to regularly replacing its models to stay at the cutting edge. An all-new Audi R8 is expected next year, too.

But the AMG GT is not just about pure sales performance. The company has been on a mission for the past few years to reduce the average age of Mercedes buyers. The AMG GT is a big part of Merc shaking off its ‘old man’ image.

Indeed, the CLA baby saloon has led the way, with buyers around 10 years younger than the company average, and ‘conquest sales’ are said to be running as high as 80 per cent for the CLA in the US.

Personally not feeling it. There's just something about the design I don't like.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I thought the side profile was viperish.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't like the back very much and I miss the gull-wing doors but I'd drive it any day.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Back end has already been done, and better, on the F-type.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Aside from the headlights, it looks very dated to me. Like a concept from 1999.

Given the price, 456/503 hp from a twin turbo V8 is pretty unimpressive.

I figured out what bothers me about it. If Lexus made an SC430 F sport it would be this car. It'll sell like crazy.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 9, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's nothing about it that makes me want it more than an SLS. The new design is kind of generic and the stupid tablet thing ruins the interior.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
hey let's stick the turbos in the cylinder bank because that can only end well

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If thats what it actually looks like and is not just a pre production mockup ala the BRZ/FRS changes, I actually like it a lot more than the SLS.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

VikingSkull posted:

hey let's stick the turbos in the cylinder bank because that can only end well

Is that working out well for BMW? I haven't heard of any problems.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The rear curve from the roofline reminds me of a 928

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

fknlo posted:

New Mercedes AMG GT Revealed

Personally not feeling it. There's just something about the design I don't like.

Okay, so that's definitely what I saw camo'ed up on I10 a couple months back. Honestly, looks better to me than a CLS.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I don't like modern Mercedes front-end design language, but I really like how understated that rear is. It works for me. I think it'd look really good in black.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I'd like to reshape those lower intakes but otherwise I think it's nice looking. Not sure if yellow is the right color though.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CornHolio posted:

Is that working out well for BMW? I haven't heard of any problems.

I didn't know BMW was also doing that, the article seems to think this new powerplant is unique in that respect.

Regardless, it's one of those things that even if it works great, it's still dumb because it's gotta be totally destructive when it finally lets go.

It's needlessly complicating things, like placing a starter underneath an intake manifold.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

VikingSkull posted:

I didn't know BMW was also doing that, the article seems to think this new powerplant is unique in that respect.

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but on the twin-turbo V8s they have the turbo intakes as part of the exhaust manifold in the V of the engine.

I remember a lot of people being concerned about heat on those turbos, but I haven't heard that they have any actual problems.

At least in BMW's case, I think it allowed them to perfectly time the turbo impeller blade face / exhaust pulse timing to nearly eliminate turbo lag. So it had a benefit. Just sucks to be the guy replacing the combination turbo/exhaust manifold down the line.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That's not so dumb, but I took it as the turbos are in the block/cylinder bank itself. If that's the case, holy poo poo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Or removing a rear bumper to change an air filter :v:

Actually an upsetting number of new cars require pulling the front bumper cover to change a headlight.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Xguard86 posted:

I'd like to reshape those lower intakes but otherwise I think it's nice looking. Not sure if yellow is the right color though.

Yellow with a red interior is definitely a curious choice

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

That's not so dumb, but I took it as the turbos are in the block/cylinder bank itself. If that's the case, holy poo poo.

I can't see how they could even do that.

They no doubt mean reverse flow heads and turbos in the valley, like the ford 6.7

edit: picture of the actual engine.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 9, 2014

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

The rear curve from the roofline reminds me of a 928

From the back of the door back screams PORSCHE to me. Maybe that's the intention since it's supposed to be a 911 competitor?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
No gullwing doors? That's it; I'm not buying this thing.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That 911 looks a hundred times better than the Benz. gently caress...I need to be rich.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
As much as I'd like to be excited by the Hellcats, I can't be. It's cool that so much horsepower is available for so little money, but I don't have any application for it. I'm not into drag racing, I'd never use it daily driving, they don't corner very well and the styling on them really, really doesn't appeal to me. They're novelties, like automotive whoopie cushions, but I imagine the joke would get old fast, at least for me. Anyone else?

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

blk posted:

As much as I'd like to be excited by the Hellcats, I can't be. It's cool that so much horsepower is available for so little money, but I don't have any application for it. I'm not into drag racing, I'd never use it daily driving, they don't corner very well and the styling on them really, really doesn't appeal to me. They're novelties, like automotive whoopie cushions, but I imagine the joke would get old fast, at least for me. Anyone else?

It's not for everyone, but the Challenger is probably the best affordable grand tourer on the market but also happens to have fantastically retro styling. It's no Lotus in the corners, but it isn't as bad as everyone assumes it is, especially for a 4000 pound GT car.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If you're buying a Hellcat to carve corners with, you're missing the point. It's a drag racer/boulevard cruiser. That's it. It's not for everyone, but for the people it's targeting it's the best in the segment.

Unfortunately that segment is filled with brand fanboys so guys with GT500's and ZL-1's are gonna get murdered at stoplights because brand fanboys are dumb.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I don't like this thing that's not even trying to be what I want. :colbert:

See also: people being douchebags about the Z/28 for being an overpriced LOL CAMERO when it's a track day toy that puts in psychotic lap times, which was the whole point of it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How is the Z/28 so fast around the track when you can't see out of it? Truly Z/28 hot-lappers are the best drivers.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sole Survivor posted:

It's not for everyone, but the Challenger is probably the best affordable grand tourer on the market but also happens to have fantastically retro styling. It's no Lotus in the corners, but it isn't as bad as everyone assumes it is, especially for a 4000 pound GT car.

I think it looks good. I like that an enormous two-door mean-faced car exists with that much power. It means there is something right with the world.

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

CornHolio posted:

I think it looks good. I like that an enormous two-door mean-faced car exists with that much power. It means there is something right with the world.

And as has previously been stated, the more of these things on the road the more motor swaps can be done as they start popping up on telephone poles around the country side.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

SPORK08 posted:

And as has previously been stated, the more of these things on the road the more motor swaps can be done as they start popping up on telephone poles around the country side.

Is the Hellcat motor available in crate form?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

VikingSkull posted:

If you're buying a Hellcat to carve corners with, you're missing the point. It's a drag racer/boulevard cruiser. That's it. It's not for everyone, but for the people it's targeting it's the best in the segment.

Unfortunately that segment is filled with brand fanboys so guys with GT500's and ZL-1's are gonna get murdered at stoplights because brand fanboys are dumb.

Eh, I think if you try to stoplight race any of those, you'll just fill the intersection with smoke. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PeterWeller posted:

Eh, I think if you try to stoplight race any of those, you'll just fill the intersection with smoke. :v:

Well, it is a ChryCo transmission....