Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

BabelFish posted:

Speaking of crazy weapons that nobody seems to use, I picked up the Banshee for my TR alt... :stare:

If they put that thing on the harasser, the PPA arguments are going to look like mild disagreements in comparison.

I still feel my MAX should be able to field dual Banshee arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidRiot
Dec 14, 2007

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man."

vigorous sodomy posted:

I still feel my MAX should be able to field dual Banshee arms.

Dual wielding Banshee arms that automatically home in to the nearest infantry/MAX. Lockdown at Warpgate, KNUCKLES UP, and fire away.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Pand posted:

Well, it is a handheld coyote launcher now.
Time to stop flying over TR territory again! :v:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

kidRiot posted:

Dual wielding Banshee arms that automatically home in to the nearest infantry/MAX. Lockdown at Warpgate, KNUCKLES UP, and fire away.

Someone at SOE has read this post, and is masturbating furiously while implementing this for TR in the next patch.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Durendal posted:

Why do you think the majority of pro-tier MLG outfits rolled VS in PS2? Hint: the Orion may have something to do with it.

Because they were VS in PS1. Scourge and I used to be in the same outfit until the leader decided he was done and scourge split off as Juggernauts before merging with Future Crew. SMF was the equivalent NC farmfit on Markov and later Connery, but broke up to join Future Crew because they already had a good thing going.

Recursion is a conglomerate ( :v:) of PS1 NC outfits, including fallout from SMF that didn't want to reroll VS. I don't know DasAnfall's story, but I'd wager they were VS in PS1 as well. Can't speak for INI Elite or NUC, either. I think AC's core was VS PS1. That's all the MLG outfits I can think of off the top of my head.

If you really wanted to get a gun advantage at launch, you'd have gone TR so you could flinchlock NC and VS.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

kidRiot posted:

Still has bulletdrop, would be completely useless, fix your loving game soe

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

apparently the new striker cant kill a flash in one magazine.

:|

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Orion seems to overperform because it's the BR100 turbosperg LMG of choice. I mean hell just look at the average BR. Filter that for the KPU of only BR76-100 characters though and the story changes a bit.. I've said it before and I'll say it again - 0.75x ADS is vastly overrated, and this is most true when it's a gun for the class whose special ability cuts their speed in half. Pretty much anything you can name, the Anchor outperforms the Orion, and it's no mystery why to anybody on the receiving end of it (or the Gauss Rifle). Personally it's the X11 among all guns that I hate going up against the most

Arghy posted:

HA: anchor
ME: gauss S
LA: bandit
EN: ACX
IN: cyclone

Holy poo poo, Arghy with a straight up excellent post of suggestions out of nowhere. That makes literally 4 people in the game who really appreciate how bullshit great the Gauss Rifle S is - you, myself, Maddot, and Stew360

I'm about to aurax the Anchor though and cannot wait to put it down. For tiny skirmishes and honorabru duels it's okay I guess, but the tiny edge I feel that it gives me over the 22S in NO WAY makes up for the goddawful loving reload and reload efficiency. It's temperamental too, and I feel like it's far more sensitive to hit reg and latency issues than my 200/500 guns are. Between the SAW and the 22S I really see no point in the other guns. SPA is nice but it's not worth that reload and the double hit in velocity compared to the 22S.

NihilCredo posted:

Yes, Arghy, the "minimal work patch" of adding a whole loot and durability system to a F2P MMOFPS.

I guess it fits right alongside your "minor Lasher buff" that was a +66% dps increase plus some other stuff.

You forgot the suggestion that all VS sidearms should be charge up to be a OHKO at all ranges with no drop.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

apparently the new striker cant kill a flash in one magazine.

:|

It's going to get the same "must reload to kill an infantry" limitation as the other launchers and they're going to loving hate it. Right now it sucks though - like 29 rockets to kill a Vanguard from the side (no shield), and 63 to kill a Galaxy. You get 25 total without the munitions pouch.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 9, 2014

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Cabbit posted:

I really miss the inventory Tetris from PS1, now that I think about it. I had a locker full of Repeaters and Beamers I took as trophies from other cloakers, and because I'm a hardcore logistics RPer I enjoyed bouncing around the back lines of Cyssor with an ATV full of explosives for genbusting.

PS1 still maintains its champion title as the most successful and pioneering survival horror MMO if you were a cloaker.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

The Orion seems to overperform because it's the BR100 turbosperg LMG of choice. I mean hell just look at the average BR. Filter that for the KPU of only BR76-100 characters though and the story changes a bit.. I've said it before and I'll say it again - 0.75x ADS is vastly overrated, and this is most true when it's a gun for the class whose special ability cuts their speed in half. Pretty much anything you can name, the Anchor outperforms the Orion, and it's no mystery why to anybody on the receiving end of it (or the Gauss Rifle). Personally it's the X11 among all guns that I hate going up against the most

Holy poo poo, Arghy with a straight up excellent post of suggestions out of nowhere. That makes literally 4 people in the game who really appreciate how bullshit great the Gauss Rifle S is - you, myself, Maddot, and Stew360

I'm about to aurax the Anchor though and cannot wait to put it down. For tiny skirmishes and honorabru duels it's okay I guess, but the tiny edge I feel that it gives me over the 22S in NO WAY makes up for the goddawful loving reload and reload efficiency. It's temperamental too, and I feel like it's far more sensitive to hit reg and latency issues than my 200/500 guns are. Between the SAW and the 22S I really see no point in the other guns. SPA is nice but it's not worth that reload and the double hit in velocity compared to the 22S.

You forgot the suggestion that all VS sidearms should be charge up to be a OHKO at all ranges with no drop.

It's going to get the same "must reload to kill an infantry" limitation as the other launchers and they're going to loving hate it. Right now it sucks though - like 29 rockets to kill a Vanguard from the side (no shield), and 63 to kill a Galaxy. You get 25 total without the munitions pouch.
I don't remember that one are you sure your not hyperboling about pre-release spiker?

Anchor is loving amazing but it wont work if you treat it like the orion. I've been running it with ALS/SPA and gunning from the hip if someone gets the drop on me but ADS if i got the drop. Shits got almost the same DPS as the orion with way better DPM and almost exactly the same accuracy stats.

The gauss S gets crazy when you realize its a gauss with slightly less RoF but access to a comp/SPA which is loving bananas.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Sard posted:

PS1 still maintains its champion title as the most successful and pioneering survival horror MMO if you were a cloaker.

Infiltrator duels won and lost on who could echo-locate the other the best via footsteps is one of my most enduring memories of any game, ever. Hearing the click of somebody pulling out their gun and just /waiting/, wondering if you're about to get blown away, wondering if pulling out your gun will clue them in or if they already know and they're just waiting to see if you already have a bead on 'em.

The loving tension, man.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Cabbit posted:

Infiltrator duels won and lost on who could echo-locate the other the best via footsteps is one of my most enduring memories of any game, ever. Hearing the click of somebody pulling out their gun and just /waiting/, wondering if you're about to get blown away, wondering if pulling out your gun will clue them in or if they already know and they're just waiting to see if you already have a bead on 'em.

The loving tension, man.

Heh, this is why real infils used pre-placed boomers and lured you into their death traps in PS1, usually a gen you had primed. :shepicide:

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

:colbert:
How could anyone not appreciate a Gauss Rifle with SPA/comp/grip?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

A Tartan Tory posted:

Heh, this is why real infils used pre-placed boomers and lured you into their death traps in PS1, usually a gen you had primed. :shepicide:

Pft. If you wanted to do it the easy way, then you wouldn't be playing a cloaker.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Cabbit posted:

Pft. If you wanted to do it the easy way, then you wouldn't be playing a cloaker.

I would say the easy way was to stick an AMP in their backside and blow them away Sir. :colbert:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Horizontal Tree posted:

:colbert:
How could anyone not appreciate a Gauss Rifle with SPA/comp/grip?

And half the FSRM. The balancing factor? A loss of 64 dps :laffo:

My preferred loadout is SPA/comp/smoke/IRNV though because then it becomes A Machine that Kills Turbospergs because they have their gamma cranked up super high meaning they are powerless against smoke spam.

If anybody is looking to try it out, you can't go wrong with the SPA/comp/grip listed above

Arghy posted:

I don't remember that one are you sure your not hyperboling about pre-release spiker?

Anchor is loving amazing but it wont work if you treat it like the orion. I've been running it with ALS/SPA and gunning from the hip if someone gets the drop on me but ADS if i got the drop. Shits got almost the same DPS as the orion with way better DPM and almost exactly the same accuracy stats.

The gauss S gets crazy when you realize its a gauss with slightly less RoF but access to a comp/SPA which is loving bananas.

It was from awhile ago, it's just stuck with me.

Anchor works fine just like the Orion, they both have great accuracy on the move and "reliable enough I guess" hipfire. You just can't crush ADADAD for an advantage with the Anchor. When it comes down to it though, if it ain't a 200 damage gun I ain't interested. (unless it's the Cyclone, lord do I love the Cyclone)

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I was hoping the new Striker would also home in on armor, but it doesn't seem to, or if it does, not as much as Air.

Even then, just being able to dumbfire it and not having to wait to lock onto a magrider that keeps electric sliding between trees is a blessing.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Gonkish posted:

Someone at SOE has read this post, and is masturbating furiously while implementing this for TR in the next patch.

Glad I could help

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Decided to take a break from grinding scout rifles cause :suicide: and picked up a Gauss S cause of EHF. Thoroughly meh'ed. Regular Gauss wasn't that great for me, S is more of the same it feels like. Even when it is tricked out. Prospect of having an underbarrel shotgun though sounds fun. I'll give it a few more tries, but I honestly like the Warden more cause I feel more accurate at range.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I think a loot system would be best served like the implant system: 1-5% chance on kill to get a random weapon from that person's loadout (pistol or primary) sent to a Locker page. You can equip a weapon from your Locker on an equipment slot just like a trial weapon [incidentally, trial weapons would use the Locker system too]. If you die using a Locker weapon, it's gone (or maybe has a 10-50% chance of poofing).

Add a station-cash-purchasable "Scavenger Boost" in one-day, five-day and month-long increments that double drop rates, and boom, hard cash money for SOE.

Add a 'sell back' function to get 5-10 certs (or maybe 10-25 Nanites?) to recycle weapons you already have/don't want (NS weapons or VS pistols).

Arghyedit: This can be done with only two lines of code, get it done SOE!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Here's how SOE makes shittons of money from a loot system: make it so you can only loot stuff that has been unlocked (probably only with SC) on another character under your account. A guy who doesn't have anything on other factions could get, say, a T1 Cycler, but not a TORQ. Most of the defaults are pretty baller, so it wouldn't really undermine the guy with no money in 4th factioning.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Looting should only be put into the game if every time I ram a PPA magrider I can loot the PPA and put it on my sunderer. Dual PPA spamming battle bus :getin:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Evilreaver posted:

I think a loot system would be best served like the implant system: 1-5% chance on kill to get a random weapon from that person's loadout (pistol or primary) sent to a Locker page. You can equip a weapon from your Locker on an equipment slot just like a trial weapon [incidentally, trial weapons would use the Locker system too]. If you die using a Locker weapon, it's gone (or maybe has a 10-50% chance of poofing).

Add a station-cash-purchasable "Scavenger Boost" in one-day, five-day and month-long increments that double drop rates, and boom, hard cash money for SOE.

Add a 'sell back' function to get 5-10 certs (or maybe 10-25 Nanites?) to recycle weapons you already have/don't want (NS weapons or VS pistols).

Arghyedit: This can be done with only two lines of code, get it done SOE!

Alternate idea for looting that makes it simpler:
  • Chance to get equipment of guy you killed (good)
  • You can buy gun packs much like you can with nanite packs
  • Gun only has so much time on it, like a trial, so you know when it's going to run out.
  • You can extend the gun timer with a boatload of implant nanites/energy. Basically it costs resources to fool the system into giving you non-standard resources if you want to spend half a second giving it a plot excuse.

This gives the game a fresh SC and cert dump as if you're using an off-faction looted gun you suddenly hear a loud sucking sound as all of your implant energy disappears and need to toss money at the game for the unmitigated joy of spraying TR down with their own CARV.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Well hitching is exactly as bad as last night and PS2 locked my computer up again. Looks like I may be taking a bit of a break until this poo poo gets cleared up because it's utterly unplayable probably 3/4 of the time

If I have to roll back to 2/2014 drivers again I'm just going to declare those drivers canon and never upgrade again

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Mortimer posted:

to sum up why the orion posts such insane stats, it's not just because its good, it's because it's the only real option VS HA has. When you only have one good gun, you're going to get really loving good at clicking heads with it.

I've gone back to the Orion again and again because a lot of people here say it's good and I'm just not understanding the hype. I've used it for maybe twenty hours recently trying to grid it out for directives and I have hated every second of it. I have not found a situation where I wouldn't rather use an Ursa, NS-15M, Polaris or Flare (in that order).

Ryuga Death posted:

For the TR MAX, should it have two of the same chainguns or a different type of chaingun on each arm? Like a mercy and a mutilator?

Also, after trying out the pounders in a fight, why would/does anyone bother with the fractures?

I'll probably settle into running a Mercy/Mutilator combo as my default load out but if you're indoors sweeping rooms dual Mutilators are just too fun to not use. I spent almost the entire alert today at a biolab running them and it was great, never have to worry about ammo either. I stood toe to toe with a VS MAX running dual Cosmos and won with a bit under an eighth of my health left.

If you're shelling things at render distance then Fractures are good but for anything else Pounders are great and also more handy if you run into a group of infantry. Throw in lockdown and the reload on Pounders is a joke.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Klowns posted:

I'll probably settle into running a Mercy/Mutilator combo as my default load out but if you're indoors sweeping rooms dual Mutilators are just too fun to not use. I spent almost the entire alert today at a biolab running them and it was great, never have to worry about ammo either. I stood toe to toe with a VS MAX running dual Cosmos and won with a bit under an eighth of my health left.

If you're shelling things at render distance then Fractures are good but for anything else Pounders are great and also more handy if you run into a group of infantry. Throw in lockdown and the reload on Pounders is a joke.

So don't bother with the Onslaughts, then? I figured the mutilator's ammo would keep me covered while the mercy is reloading. I tried the fractures in VR and they just didn't seem very fun, pounders just felt a lot more satisfying to use. I also prefer to use Charge on a max because it seems more handy in the long run, the only time I'd consider using lockdown is if my max had dual air bursters.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

To follow up the Lod0A discussion from a few pages ago, I asked around; pinged RoyAwesome who pinged VanuLabs. Edited from steam chat log to forum readable.

quote:

Okay, UseLod0a - we've figured it out. It's pretty simple. Some models have two 'auto' level of detail models, either called Lod0_LODAuto.dem, or Lod0_LOD0Auto.dme. What the difference is? Probably different level of detail styles - like, less vertices or a different texture or something. Subtle changes you wont notice. The option switches between using either the LODAuto model or the LOD0Auto model.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Westy543 posted:

To follow up the Lod0A discussion from a few pages ago, I asked around; pinged RoyAwesome who pinged VanuLabs. Edited from steam chat log to forum readable.

Okay, cool. But if they didn't mention which model is heavier/more detailed and which is lighter/less detailed, we're back to square one.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

When I'm driving my vanguard, what the gently caress is it that is damaging me but making only a tiny amount of noise and leaving no tracers of any kind? The sound effect is the same as when you hit a rock or something. A little fire, but no shell to track back to a target or anything :confused:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Fart Car '97 posted:

When I'm driving my vanguard, what the gently caress is it that is damaging me but making only a tiny amount of noise and leaving no tracers of any kind? The sound effect is the same as when you hit a rock or something. A little fire, but no shell to track back to a target or anything :confused:

Allies?

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Fart Car '97 posted:

Probably an engineer turret.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Ok, so I knew combat medic could be a great cert farmer, but I had no idea.

I just spent 2 hours healing and rezzing on a bio lab aussault, and between the shield regeneration, healing, and rezzing grenades I got over 37k points. I was pulling in like 18k an hour.

Holy poo poo.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fart Car '97 posted:

Maybe it was an invisible infiltrator with explosive crossbow bolts.

Although you probably wouldn't notice that you even got hit, considering the damage on those.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Strotski posted:

Nvidia user here (latest drivers)
I used to have terrible hitching every session in every fight, I uninstalled geforce experience, and did the following adjustments to my settings:

[Rendering]
GraphicsQuality=3
TextureQuality=1
ShadowQuality=0
RenderDistance=2135.000000
Gamma=0.560000
MaximumFPS=250
UseLod0a=0
OverallQuality=-1
LightingQuality=1
EffectsQuality=1
TerrainQuality=1
FloraQuality=4
ModelQuality=1
VerticalFOV=74
ParticleLOD=0
ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
FogShadowsEnable=0
MotionBlur=0
VSync=1
BloomEnabled=0
AO=0
Smoothing=1
UseAspectFOV=0

No hitching

Followed these steps exactly and thus far the hitching is cured. I logged in just now after deleting Geforce Experience and it was like I was playing in a movie because I was so unused to the game not stuttering like an old RealAudio stream.

Hopefully it sticks it out, but I'll just quote this so that others may try. Back up your own .ini in case it doesn't of course!

Fart Car '97 posted:

How much damage does it do? It's very probably a Lancer shot. You don't get any indicators or sound or anything and the HA and the beam don't render for over half of the weapon's effective range

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Maybe it was an invisible infiltrator with explosive crossbow bolts.

Although you probably wouldn't notice that you even got hit, considering the damage on those.

I actually saw somebody using one of those yesterday, we were trying to take some point on a bridge and they were at the far end trying to lob the shots to hit a tank.

I was happy to drop an ammo pack at his feet and let him go to town.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I've seen PPA shots do that, too.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Zsinjeh posted:

Time to stop flying over TR territory again! :v:

I wouldn't worry about the new striker, right now it takes six shots to kill a flash. You're literally better off shooting the flash with your rifle than getting the launcher out. It does pretty horrible damage to everything and the round is so slow you're not likely to get it into range to home anyway.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Someone on reddit made a big ole' :effort: gallery for ~*~*~LOGISTICS~*~*~: http://imgur.com/a/Dulv9

That's a whole lot of work to say "I don't like redeploying".

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Gonkish posted:

Someone on reddit made a big ole' :effort: gallery for ~*~*~LOGISTICS~*~*~: http://imgur.com/a/Dulv9

That's a whole lot of work to say "I don't like redeploying".

If I had to sit around with my thumb up my rear end waiting for someone LARPing a transport pilot every time I wanted to leave a fight that was over I wouldn't play.

Actually, no, I would play but I'd log out and back in instead of waiting for this stupid poo poo.

What the ~*~*~LOGISTICS~*~*~ LARPing community doesn't realize is that A: they're in the vast minority and B: the game would straight up die if this kind of crap went in. People play for rapid gratification. If I can't find a fight within a couple minutes or the only fights are laggy 200v200 server performance shitfests I get bored and log out to do something else and try again later.

o muerte fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

Epic High Five posted:

How much damage does it do? It's very probably a Lancer shot. You don't get any indicators or sound or anything and the HA and the beam don't render for over half of the weapon's effective range

If it is just a plink, yeah its probably a lancer. Anything more and I would guess its a high altitude hornet though. There is like no visual or audio indicator for that, especially if you are actually moving or shooting. Too many poor magriders downed because of those guys.

• Locked thread