Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
The latinisation of America. Because that's so terrible for a government that literally has a Senate. I know, that's me being overly literal, but there's just just no sense of awareness in these people.

Also on Al-Qaeda opening up in India, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd try to paint themselves as the successors to the Mughal Empire or something. Because, well... its not exactly like India exactly has that many historical ties to Islam otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Getting back into these shows. Why have they only aired three episodes a week for the past two weeks?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Met posted:

Getting back into these shows. Why have they only aired three episodes a week for the past two weeks?

One week was because of the Emmy's, and the second because of Labour Day I think.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 7, 2014

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

richardfun posted:

One week was because the Emmy's, and the second because of Labour Day I think.

That makes sense. Thanks. :cheers:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Because they'll look for any excuse to take the day off. Not that I blame them, it's a hard show to produce every day.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

And now at least TDS is taking another Monday off, according to their Twitter. Anyone know why?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ClydeUmney posted:

And now at least TDS is taking another Monday off, according to their Twitter. Anyone know why?

Because who's going to stop them.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Fair warning: Colbert has a new show tonight, so don't think you can totally blow off tonight.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
Jon is in Toronto with his movie and I guess they didn't want a guest host.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

YAHH STEPHEN!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Uhh...was that a add for Koch Industries...On the Colbert Report? :stare:

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Seemed like Prescott Pharmaceuticals to me.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

BigRed0427 posted:

Uhh...was that a add for Koch Industries...On the Colbert Report? :stare:

I want to believe that this is an act of spite on the part of the Koch brothers.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bobkatt013 posted:

So its Richard the Third in modern day?

Essentially yes. And after he finished his meteoric and underhanded rise to power. I expect it to come crashing down pretty much the same way.

Although even Richard realizes that he's kind of a shithead. I don't think Frank is going to have that moment.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

hemophilia posted:

House Of Cards is actually really good, and any excuse for Kevin Spacey to be on screen is fine with me. House Of Card's idea of Washington is silly as poo poo and the story is unbelievable, but it's a show where Kevin Spacey plays a power hungry southern sociopath who even takes breaks to talk at the audience, which adds a nice psychotic level to the whole thing, it's a fun show. You're not allowed to hate it. :colbert:

Frank Underwood is an interesting character, but he's no Mel Profitt.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

Jon is in Toronto with his movie and I guess they didn't want a guest host.

You know what, gently caress that poo poo. Jon does a great job but I don't think TDS should be some loving showcase for him. I remember the old "variety" type skits. Produce Pete, anyone? I'm glad they have some kind of rhythm etc, but there should be some kind of way to highlight the talents of the correspondents. Sam Bee and Jason Jones may be dead inside but what about J Willy? Klepper? Etc etc. They get short shriff.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Geniasis posted:

Essentially yes. And after he finished his meteoric and underhanded rise to power. I expect it to come crashing down pretty much the same way.

Although even Richard realizes that he's kind of a shithead. I don't think Frank is going to have that moment.

Richard knew that from the very beginning and has a speech about how everyone treats him like poo poo he is going to be an evil bastard and kill everyone.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

YOu know, you can move to a more serious story with out a transition.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Apple fanboys will give a standing ovation to a still image of a turd in a toilet bowl.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Fell out of my chair laughing at Stephen's reaction to the Watch announcement, started rolling on the floor when he smashed his own

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

:stare: Jesus Christ, Detroit.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
They should have let Larry Wilmore guest host so we all get a little preview of his new show.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Somewhat relevant: Burn (2012).

Edit: Figured I'd give this for more context

IMDb posted:

The city of Detroit, Michigan has been in severe decline in recent decades. Among the resulting problems is the dramatic rise of fires in a decaying urbanscape of abandoned buildings that seems to have no future. This film profiles the lives and trials of the personnel of the Detroit Fire Department, who are on the front line of this taxing battle. Facing constant emergencies in the face of shrinking budgets, the firefighters of Detroit are to determined to protect the city as best they can, whatever the cost.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 10, 2014

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Getting caught up from Monday. Watching Randal Monroe's interview on the Colbert Report. He is so much more incredibly awkward than I expected, somehow.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Okay, time for some Dr. K. I look at him kind of like Hannibal Lecter in "Silence of the Lambs," because he's an evil mass murderer but he has some insights that are on the whole pretty useful.

Also, I'm getting that political contributions app.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh God we gotta pretend Kissinger isn't one of the most evil humans ever.

Yaaay the bloodsoaked warmonger hates Twitter too let's cheer him yaaay.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Oh God we gotta pretend Kissinger isn't one of the most evil humans ever.

Yaaay the bloodsoaked warmonger hates Twitter too let's cheer him yaaay.

Don't focus on the evil, focus on the usefulness.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

Don't focus on the evil, focus on the usefulness.

He outlived his usefulness by a decade or so, he has no grasp of modern political realities.

Ukraine needs to be a bridge, no one who knows the region would say that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He outlived his usefulness by a decade or so, he has no grasp of modern political realities.

Ukraine needs to be a bridge, no one who knows the region would say that.

I do know the region, and while I don't think there's any chance of it being a bridge, I don't think he believes that either. I think that was a nice platitude meant to sweeten the bitter but true point that we can't make Ukraine an anti-Russian outpost.

e: Plus let's face it, a famous political figure openly espousing Realist policies instead of Wilsonian Idealist ones? More of that PLEASE.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 11, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

I do know the region, and while I don't think there's any chance of it being a bridge, I don't think he believes that either. I think that was a nice platitude meant to sweeten the bitter but true point that we can't make Ukraine an anti-Russian outpost.

The Ukraine doesn't want to be a bridge or an outpost, it mainly would love going one decade without Russia slipping their cock in its mouth when it's asleep. Using them as either is terrible and him thinking that's a platitude just furthers my point that he's a relic of ancient "it's US or the bad guys PICK ONE" schools.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The Ukraine doesn't want to be a bridge or an outpost, it mainly would love going one decade without Russia slipping their cock in its mouth when it's asleep. Using them as either is terrible and him thinking that's a platitude just furthers my point that he's a relic of ancient "it's US or the bad guys PICK ONE" schools.

Yeah, but Ukraine's not asking to be neutral - it's asking to join NATO, and Bush told them that we would let them in and protect them for all time, except now we're realizing we can't make good on that promise.

e: To be fair, though, he's old as poo poo and I haven't read anything he's written in the last few decades, so you're probably right - he's probably outlived his usefulness.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 11, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yes, they want to be protected from further nocturnal Russian mouth sex. Them as NATO members wouldn't be an outpost, they'd actually have a purpose beyond behind the eastern canary in the coal mine like they are now. The last time they were a bridge to Russia there was a genocidal level famine. It's super hosed we promised that without intending to back it up, leaving them as a bridge so we can go "whoops Ukraine is being hosed up, looks like Russia feels saucy" and chill in the NATO clubhouse is basically the most evil response though.

Edit: sorry if I sound angry, I'm not, I just kinda hate Kissinger being trotted out and colbert giving him a big sloppy kiss really tweaked a nerve.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Trump does have a point. The Trump Taj is a dank, depressing dump. However, it fits the Trump image perfectly.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yes, they want to be protected from further nocturnal Russian mouth sex. Them as NATO members wouldn't be an outpost, they'd actually have a purpose beyond behind the eastern canary in the coal mine like they are now. The last time they were a bridge to Russia there was a genocidal level famine. It's super hosed we promised that without intending to back it up, leaving them as a bridge so we can go "whoops Ukraine is being hosed up, looks like Russia feels saucy" and chill in the NATO clubhouse is basically the most evil response though.

I don't know, I think the most evil response would be turning them into a no-man's land in a proxy war between pro-West and pro-Moscow factions.

e: And yes, I realize Putin has helped make this a reality, I just think we shouldn't help him make it even more of one.

quote:

Edit: sorry if I sound angry, I'm not, I just kinda hate Kissinger being trotted out and colbert giving him a big sloppy kiss really tweaked a nerve.

You have every right to be, dude's a war criminal. I just tend to think of him as like a Nazi scientist who defected near the end of WWII and now works for us.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Trump does have a point. The Trump Taj is a dank, depressing dump. However, it fits the Trump image perfectly.

I don't think you needed to put "however" in there.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 11, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That app looks stupid.

It confuses cause and effect. You shouldn't support a politician if they're backed by a certain industry; not the other way around.

It's 2004-levels of culture war stupidity.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

That app looks stupid.

It confuses cause and effect. You shouldn't support a politician if they're backed by a certain industry; not the other way around.

It's 2004-levels of culture war stupidity.

If a product is made by Koch Industries, I kind of want to know, because I don't want those shitbags to get a cent of my money. I hope they both die completely destitute, because they are some of the worst people this country has ever produced.

e: Also, boycotts of sponsors of shows like Rush Limbaugh's have worked pretty well in the not-too-distant past.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah but it emphasizes the party of the political donations rather than general assholeness of the product's company.

There's just way too many lovely Democratic officeholders in the NY/NJ area that it really doesn't matter too much that donations to them get marked as blue. Just look at Cuomo for one example.

There probably already is a "politician scanner". Open secrets has an app, but having a "party scanner" makes it a "cute political tidbit" that CNN eats up.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

Yeah but it emphasizes the party of the political donations rather than general assholeness of the product's company.

There's just way too many lovely Democratic officeholders in the NY/NJ area that it really doesn't matter too much that donations to them get marked as blue. Just look at Cuomo for one example.

There probably already is a "politician scanner". Open secrets has an app, but having a "party scanner" makes it a "cute political tidbit" that CNN eats up.

I'm sure there is a politician scanner too, but I'm glad at least something along these lines is hitting mainstream media attention. If it spurs people to dig deeper into where their money is actually going, in terms of political contributions, I can only see that as a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

gently caress Kissinger. Colbert should have just spent the time breaking charachter and listing all the hosed up poo poo he's been on the committee for. I am going to say gently caress again.

• Locked thread