Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

The Thunderfire cannon makes the Whirlwind absolutely obsolete.

When I first read the 30k whirlwind rules I thought "how reasonable, you can shoot frag, crack, or anti air missiles for like 45 points!"

Obviously I missread the entry, but it goes to show how a tiny tweak could make them more appealing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Does anyone know what's up with the Questoris knights? It looked like they had prices posted for an event that already happened.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Post 9-11 User posted:

I like the concept for the Magos models just not the way they're all toppling forward.

I'm a Tech Priest whose fallen and I can't get up!

Fallen Mechanicum; not to Chaos, but to the ground they walk on.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Reynold posted:

:patriot:

In other news, I finished the first of three FORGE WORLDED OUT BLACK TEMPLAR ASSAULT CANNON RAZORBACKS WHAT

This looks gorgeous!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

BULBASAUR posted:

Has there ever been an edition where the whirlwind was any good? To me its always been one of those "fun, but not really great" models in the SM books.

I ran two of them in my tourney list back in 3.5. I was a guess measurement god and would murder the gently caress out of infantry units each turn with them. They were very cheap and usually well hidden.

I used the armeggedon salamander list with two cheap chaplains, 4 full tac squads in rhino, 2 5 man squads with razorbacks, 3 land speeders, small unit of terms, a land raider and two whirlwinds.

I would totally take the new hotness thunderfire guns instead though. Not even a competition. And yeah if they had made the whirlwind capable of firing anti air missiles and crack they wouldn't have needed to make two other models and would have sold a ton more of something they already had on the books.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 9, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Ignite Memories posted:

For the record, a trukk full of hard boy sluggas is a really good troops unit. If y'all want to play fast orks, I recommend hard boyz. They recently got rid of the 0-1 restriction on them. My immediate reaction to the new codex was converting up a second squad.

They're surprisingly hardy for orks, the 4+ save makes a massive difference, and they don't all get horribly killed when (not if) their trukk is wrecked

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Cataphract posted:

playing hammer and anvil with your opponent touching the back edge is always going to be tough for any mid to close range army. Don't let the few situations where you're at a distinct disadvantage be the only situations you consider. That ork unit can withstand a whole guard blobs FRFSRF without taking a scratch and can be brutal in situations where your oponent isn't being a total coward.

True, but it seems to me to always be advantageous to have speed.

Ignite Memories posted:

For the record, a trukk full of hard boy sluggas is a really good troops unit. If y'all want to play fast orks, I recommend hard boyz. They recently got rid of the 0-1 restriction on them. My immediate reaction to the new codex was converting up a second squad.

I have been thinking about a mob of 30 with a painboy. For the price of 12 'Ardboyz though you can get 3 Meganobz. That is 3 Powerklaws to 0. I like Meganobz.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It finally, only just now occurred to me that the reason GW took Sly Marbo out of the last IG dex was because it was massively hypocritical of them to keep him in while suing other companies for IP infringement.

I mean, it's dumb as gently caress but it's there. I can't even think of what coy cultural references remain in the game anymore. It's basically been whitewashed of in-jokes.

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008
So i have 2 squads of devastators on the way. Whats the best way to build these guys? The Way i read it the sergeant cant take a heavy weapon, so whats the drill with him? I also have a heavy weapons slot, in a tactical squad, for one of the remaining weapons in the kit. Im thinking build all the lascannons and plasma cannons. Is it best to mix and match within squads or just dedicate a whole squad to one role?

Speckled Jim fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 9, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Speckled Jim posted:

So i have 2 squads of devastators on the way. Whats the best way to build these guys? The Way i read it the sergeant cant take a heavy weapon, so whats the drill with him? I also have a heavy weapons slot, in a tactical squad, for one of the remaining weapons in the kit. Im thinking build all the lascannons and plasma cannons. Is it best to mix and match within squads or just dedicate a whole squad to one role?

The sgt is there to look pretty and take the first bullet.

It's generally a good idea to dedicate the squad to one role not mix and match anti-infantry and anti-tank. That said, taking four lascannons can be pricey, points wise.

The heavy weapons are compatible with the regular space marine kit, so you can build those extra missile launchers if you like and try out different heavy weapons loadouts.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
I made a "Jetseer"!

...sort of. I just really hate Eldar jetbikes. I'm not entirely happy with the result, should have made the guns shorter and in general it just feels incomplete somehow, but I'll take it over the alternatives.

Now watch as no-one lets me use it because it's not actually a farseer on a jetbike. :negative:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Speckled Jim posted:

I used to run some dumb combo of weapons to kinda sort of cover all my bases. Two missles launchers, one las cannon and one heavy plasma. So that makes 3 weapons capable of hurting armor 14, 3 templates for hordes, 4 for ap3 and the las and plasma for ap1. I felt it worked better over all but the math hammer guys will probably poo poo all over it.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Speckled Jim posted:

Four lascannons is 150 pts which isn't cheap, but if you're running imperial fists especially they will put a hole in anything under av14.

The sarge is a bullet sponge and has a signum, which gives bs5 to one of the firing devastators while the sarge is alive.

Don't mix and match. Plasma cannons are really good, though I run two squads of four imperial fist lascannon devastators and tend to dominate both flanks with those. They also wipe out elite infantry (looking at you meganobs...)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's kinda telling how much GW's modelling and assembly has changed when my spare Scion heads technically fit better with the new Wood Elves bodies because of the same ball and socket mount than with the Cadian chests without having to resort to a decent amount of cutting and reshaping.
Which is a bit of a shame since the rest of the stuff does allow for some pretty awesome kitbashes.

Also I can't help but to love how sassy this guy looks.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 9, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Sykic posted:

I made a "Jetseer"!

...sort of. I just really hate Eldar jetbikes. I'm not entirely happy with the result, should have made the guns shorter and in general it just feels incomplete somehow, but I'll take it over the alternatives.

Now watch as no-one lets me use it because it's not actually a farseer on a jetbike. :negative:

If anyone does that just gut-punch them and walk away. They're clearly not people you should play with anyway.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Sykic posted:

I made a "Jetseer"!

My only quibble would be that those are very clearly Shuriken Cannons. He's so giant now that you're at a disadvantage due to Line of Sight.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://grotorderly.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/white-dwarf-space-hulk.html

The new space hulk is a straight up re-release.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

What about their "Limited release, never to be seen again" rhetoric they used last time?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Speckled Jim posted:

The sergeant does have a special piece of wargear that lets you fire one weapon at BS5 instead of BS4. Because of this, my Devastator squads are usually missile launchers with one lascannon. If a squad is geared to do a little of everything, it's just going to end up doing nothing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Indolent Bastard posted:

What about their "Limited release, never to be seen again" rhetoric they used last time?

I refer to what I said to the shop worker. 'It'll be released again.'

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I'm really confused why they don't release the game at a discounted rate, as all the design work has already been done. I know it's GW so nothing makes sense, but if you're trying to squeeze money out of a pre-existing product why not drop the cost a tad and pull in new players?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

My only quibble would be that those are very clearly Shuriken Cannons. He's so giant now that you're at a disadvantage due to Line of Sight.

I considered Shuriken Catapults but they ended up looking really, really tiny. As for line of sight, I think I'm boned either way because things like "blocking line of sight" have become less popular around here. Ruins built entirely out of windows as far as the eye can see, and everyone's a crack shot who can guide a missile through a 1mm gap. God forbid assault units catch a break these days, right?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm really confused why they don't release the game at a discounted rate, as all the design work has already been done. I know it's GW so nothing makes sense, but if you're trying to squeeze money out of a pre-existing product why not drop the cost a tad and pull in new players?

It's gonna be $125 which is a pretty good price for all the goodness in that box, but as we know from how GW kits are priced, there's not a lot of rhyme or reason given to it. Terminators cost more than Tactical Marines when the Terminator kit is older and contains fewer sprues.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

PierreTheMime posted:

It's because GW products are jewel-like products of wonder. :homebrew:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There are a few new card tiles, and by the looks of it I think the card work is a bit nicer than before. Same price as it was first released I think too.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SRM posted:

The sergeant does have a special piece of wargear that lets you fire one weapon at BS5 instead of BS4. Because of this, my Devastator squads are usually missile launchers with one lascannon. If a squad is geared to do a little of everything, it's just going to end up doing nothing.

Yeah, I would say either go with all Lascannons or one LC and three missiles. Or don't take a lascannon at all. It's a lot of points for a gun that will make you indecisive when it comes to target selection if you put it in with anti-infantry weapons.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

serious gaylord posted:

There are a few new card tiles, and by the looks of it I think the card work is a bit nicer than before. Same price as it was first released I think too.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it. Sort of excited about having the tiles for Zone Mortalis, too.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

I'm totally going to buy Space Hulk just to spite the ebay sellers because it's small enough to set up on the kitchen table instead of taking up an entire room like 40K would.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah, there's boarding torpedo tiles, ruined tiles, and another thing or two. That being said, the tiles in it last time were absolutely gorgeous and nicely textured and stuff, and the cost of them was the reasoning given for why they were only doing it for a limited time. I wonder if they still have that same tactile texture to them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

Yeah, there's boarding torpedo tiles, ruined tiles, and another thing or two. That being said, the tiles in it last time were absolutely gorgeous and nicely textured and stuff, and the cost of them was the reasoning given for why they were only doing it for a limited time. I wonder if they still have that same tactile texture to them.

The limited thing was because of the cost of running off the card stock yeah. I think they are going to be just as good as the last set. I still wont buy it though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

serious gaylord posted:

The limited thing was because of the cost of running off the card stock yeah. I think they are going to be just as good as the last set. I still wont buy it though.
Yeah, I've still got my 3rd edition set in the shrink wrap. I'll bust it out some day when I feel like painting red.

SRM fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 9, 2014

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I'll definitely buy it for those sweet Blood Angels Terminators.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
from the looks of those photos the tiles might not be sweet and embossed like they were before. Still, seems odd... a release of any other standalone boxed game; blood bowl, necromunda, inquisitor, mordheim would have my cash instantly... but I already have this.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

$125 American funbucks is pretty pricey for what you get if the photo is anything to go by

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NTRabbit posted:

$125 American funbucks is pretty pricey for what you get if the photo is anything to go by

10 terminators, a Terminator captain, a Librarian, 20 Genestealers and a Broodlord, making up 33 of the most beautiful miniatures Games Workshop has ever had a hand in? On top of that it's got really great tiles and rules and stuff. It's a solid deal.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

SRM posted:

10 terminators, a Terminator captain, a Librarian, 20 Genestealers and a Broodlord, making up 33 of the most beautiful miniatures Games Workshop has ever had a hand in? On top of that it's got really great tiles and rules and stuff. It's a solid deal.

For $136 Americabucks you can get a 2x2 mousemat game surface, a battlezone of 3D plastic terrain, rules, cards, tokens, and ~46 minis from 4 starter teams, or just $70 without the two extra teams. Or for $99 you get a 2x2 mousemat, 3D scenery, rules, tokens, and 14 quite frankly higher quality metal minis. Pricies from Miniature Market

I look at the Space Hulk photo and see about $80 or so worth of game if the card really is premium, not $125

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sykic posted:

I made a "Jetseer"!

...sort of. I just really hate Eldar jetbikes. I'm not entirely happy with the result, should have made the guns shorter and in general it just feels incomplete somehow

Looks good, honestly. If you want to make it feel more complete, it needs some aerials or antenna or whatever, too flat along the back. If you can find the old Apocalypse Command Vehicle sprue, you can add the spoiler and targeting things it has on it and give that a little more vertical dimension.

Here's the bits in particular: http://bitzbarn.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_403&products_id=4252&osCsid=hug88eu06c5jji0v17g29pn070

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NTRabbit posted:

For $136 Americabucks you can get a 2x2 mousemat game surface, a battlezone of 3D plastic terrain, rules, cards, tokens, and ~46 minis from 4 starter teams, or just $70 without the two extra teams. Or for $99 you get a 2x2 mousemat, 3D scenery, rules, tokens, and 14 quite frankly higher quality metal minis. Pricies from Miniature Market

I look at the Space Hulk photo and see about $80 or so worth of game if the card really is premium, not $125
What models are better quality than the Space Hulk ones? I don't know what game you're talking about.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

theironjef posted:

Looks good, honestly. If you want to make it feel more complete, it needs some aerials or antenna or whatever, too flat along the back. If you can find the old Apocalypse Command Vehicle sprue, you can add the spoiler and targeting things it has on it and give that a little more vertical dimension.

Here's the bits in particular: http://bitzbarn.com/oscommerce/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_403&products_id=4252&osCsid=hug88eu06c5jji0v17g29pn070

Yeah I have to agree, it needs something more vertical like a fin or something. Which I think is a much better suggestion than my initial one of perhaps lengthening the nose a bit as I thought it looked a bit stubby there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Could always use one of the aerials from the wave serpent kit, you get a long one and a short one on the sprue and only space on the turret to use one

SRM posted:

What models are better quality than the Space Hulk ones? I don't know what game you're talking about.

I was talking about Infinity, but I have also taken it to the other thread.

• Locked thread