Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

poptart_fairy posted:

Have character wipes stopped or are they ongoing? Lack of persistence was the only thing stopping me putting time into this.

Yeah its a thing with the nightlies, but they are trying to avoid it for stable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah but hold up guys, the real question here is: have they stopped character wipes yet?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I believe they have stopped the wipes, unless you opted into the circumstances where they do, in fact, occur.

(PS: Dat Canyon biome)

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
So, I haven't played this since the Beta launched and have been feeling sort of a loose desire to come back - what are the major features that have been added in in the mean time? Namely, are the Starkids in yet? This is really the most important bit.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Heavy Lobster posted:

So, I haven't played this since the Beta launched and have been feeling sort of a loose desire to come back - what are the major features that have been added in in the mean time? Namely, are the Starkids in yet? This is really the most important bit.

In nightly. Its opt in on steam. Delete your player and universe folders and config.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

I may have missed something in the dev posts, but is 1.0 going to have the full (tier 1-10) experience or will the only fleshed out tiers still be 1-4?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

To the stable build? Nothing really.

To the nightly unstable build that as it's name suggests changes nightly, a lot of stuff.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
will character wipes be in 2.0?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Ernie Muppari posted:

This is getting ridiculous.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

nexas posted:

I may have missed something in the dev posts, but is 1.0 going to have the full (tier 1-10) experience or will the only fleshed out tiers still be 1-4?

The tech tiers are going through a pretty radical redesign: the last 6 tiers are going to be split up into 3 'archetypes' for strength, agility, and magic. Biomes will also have tiers and will be roughly 'gated' by having access to technology that eliminates environmental hazards or with ship upgrades. They've said they want to have all this implemented for 1.0.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Jorge Bell posted:

The tech tiers are going through a pretty radical redesign: the last 6 tiers are going to be split up into 3 'archetypes' for strength, agility, and magic. Biomes will also have tiers and will be roughly 'gated' by having access to technology that eliminates environmental hazards or with ship upgrades. They've said they want to have all this implemented for 1.0.

Magic?? Really?

Wow, that sounds retarded.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

AceClown posted:

Magic?? Really?

Wow, that sounds retarded.

I'm...hoping that magic actually means crazy space tech.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Slime posted:

I'm...hoping that magic actually means crazy space tech.

That's what all the dev talk about it has implied, yeah.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you prefer, refer to it as 'sufficiently advanced technology'

Or whatever makes the space medieval robots work.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Chucklefish Blog posted:

In a technical sense, Wayward Tide is kind of cool for Chucklefish, because it represents a radical departure from the way starbound was developed, and if it works out it may very well be the way that Chucklefish makes games from now on. It’s entirely written in Haskell, primarily based on Functional Reactive Programming, and it’s really really cool. I would tell you more about it but I’m sure Palf will want to tell everyone more about it at some point in the near future.
This couldn't possibly end poorly :allears:

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Ernie Muppari posted:

I hope so. It's pretty bullshit that we had character wipes as a feature and they have now removed them. Bring back character wipes!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dibujante posted:

this certainly is an agile development

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Dibujante posted:

As a not-coder, that paragraph is absolute gobbledygook to me. Can someone more knowledgeable than me explain the problem?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

dijon du jour posted:

As a not-coder, that paragraph is absolute gobbledygook to me. Can someone more knowledgeable than me explain the problem?

they are taking a nosedive

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

dijon du jour posted:

A proper explanation would be a book thick :( But suffice to say that Haskell enforces constraints on the programmer designed to make the program work in an "ideal" fashion, but which makes it extremely hard to write applications that are generally pretty messy, like games.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Jorge Bell posted:

So literally terraria on the equipment upgrades. But terraria has magic, so let's just add it in! Also that september 5th update is the most ridiculous update they've ever put up. Sounds like when one of the coders on my team is making technical excuses to the board for a showstopper bug in production.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 9, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
When they say magic, I assume they mean guns and other tech things that take energy. I hope.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Blhue posted:

When they say magic, I assume they mean guns and other tech things that take energy. I hope.

They literally shown rods with crystals on top though.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

nerdz posted:

no you see it's technological magic, totally different

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

dijon du jour posted:

They're using the wrong tool for the job because they think it's cool. It's like they just decided that the best way to drive out to a construction site in the middle of a jungle is in a Ferrari.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

nerdz posted:

Welp.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Haha game development in Haskell. What the everliving gently caress.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

There it is in a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-IQAKeEzPM

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Afraid of Audio posted:

no you see it's technological magic, totally different

It's psychic powers, I think.

It also doesn't really loving matter, boo hoo space magic let's get our panties in a twist because no science fiction work has ever had anything akin to magic :rolleyes:

Just pretend they are infinity gems and rest well at night once more

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Space wizards? Yes okay, space wizards.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Did you guys learn nothing from the technomages?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Starbound forums: Still poo poo

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Party Alarm posted:

Starbound forums: Still poo poo

Come back some day, duder. For the mushroom guys.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

What's wrong with magic?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Space wizards? Yes okay, space wizards.

I will only be okay with space wizards if you learn space-magic from one who descends from the moon. Or if you have to go to the moon to meet him. The joke/reference need not be pushed any further than 'Wizard + Moon'.

It'd make me smile, at least.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
will space wizards update vacationing horsetit-wipes with haskell in 0.04b?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What's wrong with magic?

Is magic the only reason people are getting bent out of shape now? Or is the progression and mining still borked?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Don't worry guys. Magic will probably not be suprior to tech in every way. If they stick with "A fully charge staff can kill a single even level enemy, with a long recharge" outlook. A similarly powerful gun can kill anywhere between 1.5 to 2 even level enemies if you do not miss! Guns are still superior to magic!

Ugh, serious talk though I wouldn't mind too much if it was MAGIC magic, or just called that and styilized with fancy staffs and crystals to go with the link outfits and wizard hats and fairy prinsessses in tutus nobody has a problem with for dress up. poo poo's crazy already in this "Scientific" space game.

Main problem with introducing magic in such things or "Psychic powers" or whatever equivalent is that most times, it just gets used for whatever the gently caress the authors or developers want with no limitations from FTL communications to 'And that's how I put my disembodied soul into a clone body and tore a star in half' while the "Science" stuff is held back by "It wouldn't be realistic, or practically attainable becayse :spergin:" and need to actually explain poo poo.

Just look at the loving Force off in Star wars, for example. No see you'll chop off your own dick if you try to use a laser sword because it has no counterweight, or something. You also aren't able to build one without it exploding because you need THE FORCE to make the precise placement of the focusing crystal, in the weapon you use by smashing it repeatedly into things. But these nearly identical Light Foils you can use and build just fine. Except when they are just as strong as a lightsabre and not a hong kong knockoff that deals slightly less damage, then you need the force again because gently caress YOU.

I got no issues with batshit crazy stuff in a game setting, so long as it doesn't go "Nuh uh, only I'M allowed to do the cool things. Also computers shut off if I'm around, because gently caress your cell phone".

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ernie Muppari posted:

will space wizards update vacationing horsetit-wipes with haskell in 0.04b?

Cum Rod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Come back some day, duder. For the mushroom guys.

School/work is being pretty demanding, that and a PoE patch. I'll be back, tho!

• Locked thread