Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I share a hotel room with coworkers 1x a year at SXSW. All walking distance hotels sell out in 24 hours or less in august.

Even then it is at my discretion and approval who I share with but I generally like my coworkers and it makes everyone's life easier to not have to wait for shuttles at 2am or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Thoguh posted:

Plus, as you said, the hotel room is the only private place I've got when traveling with others. Take that away from me and I'm basically at work 24 hours a day.

Completely agree on that. SXSW or some type of clusterfuck where you have to use a airbnb (and even then you would probably have separate sleeping spaces) would make sense too considering booking hotels is drat near impossible for an event like that.

So regarding policies on expenses, I'm hearing rumblings at work that we'll be forced to put everything on a company card so you can't claim expenses off what you spend on a personal card. That's in the middle of a ton of other bullshit culture changes (rules on dress code, working remotely), but is it wrong that I feel like every little perk that made my job stand out is going away? I figure stashing away a ton of points for me to burn on my vacation time is a major part of what makes a frequent traveler lifestyle appealing.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

air- posted:

Completely agree on that. SXSW or some type of clusterfuck where you have to use a airbnb (and even then you would probably have separate sleeping spaces) would make sense too considering booking hotels is drat near impossible for an event like that.

So regarding policies on expenses, I'm hearing rumblings at work that we'll be forced to put everything on a company card so you can't claim expenses off what you spend on a personal card. That's in the middle of a ton of other bullshit culture changes (rules on dress code, working remotely), but is it wrong that I feel like every little perk that made my job stand out is going away? I figure stashing away a ton of points for me to burn on my vacation time is a major part of what makes a frequent traveler lifestyle appealing.

We already are "encouraged" to put as much as possible on the corporate card. I'm not a fan of it, but looking at it from the company perspective (makes auditing easier, makes expense reporting easier, and gives them more clout when negotiating with vendors) I can't bitch about it too much. Now, if they started demanding to keep my hotel/airline points that would be a dealbreaker. Though Delta seems hell bent to not give me many points anymore to begin with.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

air- posted:

This is effectively a pay cut.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

DJCobol posted:

Never ever, no way, no how. The day I'm forced to share a room with a co-worker is the day I quit. I already have to share a rental car with them, go to work with them, eat lunch with them, and 95% of the time, go to dinner after work with them. I need some time away from them at some point, and I'm sure they all feel the same way about me.

The only time I did it voluntarily was when I was working in Los Angeles and had to be there for 2 weeks. During the weekend I went to Vegas and used some of my hotel points to book a room at the Venetian, and one of the guys I was with wanted to go, but didn't have enough points yet, and couldn't afford to pay for it himself. I ended up getting a mini-suite anyways, so we had separate areas to sleep in.

Agreed; the only time I've done it is when I secured a two room suite with separate bathrooms and everything. Other than that, I'll be having my own room, thanks.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Thoguh posted:

We already are "encouraged" to put as much as possible on the corporate card. I'm not a fan of it, but looking at it from the company perspective (makes auditing easier, makes expense reporting easier, and gives them more clout when negotiating with vendors) I can't bitch about it too much. Now, if they started demanding to keep my hotel/airline points that would be a dealbreaker. Though Delta seems hell bent to not give me many points anymore to begin with.

Oh yeah, there's also rumors there's also the possibility of the company booking travel for us, so yep, effectively, we wouldn't be able to claim points/miles anymore. gently caress.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

air- posted:

Oh yeah, there's also rumors there's also the possibility of the company booking travel for us, so yep, effectively, we wouldn't be able to claim points/miles anymore. gently caress.

We book everything via the corporate travel agent but that doesn't impact points earning.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

air- posted:

That doesn't usually take the points away. Give them your freaky flyer number at check in if the company travel guys won't take it and they'll stick it right on your account.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

kitten smoothie posted:

What's everyone else's company policy on this?

Every place I've worked at, they definitely don't require room sharing for anything they could charge to a customer. Neither for teams or small groups traveling on nonbillable business. Basically 98% of the travel you'd do.

However, for big meetings where they fly in a bunch of employees from all over god's green earth, then they've required that you share rooms or else you buy out half the room rate. I generally end up attending such a meeting maybe once every two years and have one coming up next month. While I don't really care to share a room, $300-400 of my own money is more than I'm willing to part with in order to make a principled stand on the matter.

As a matter of policy, NO! I'm flexible in situations where there is no choice but I think in such cases we would be well justified to get a suite and arrange things that way without my boss even blinking.

air- posted:

That sucks. Take heart that usually companies go through travel management services that will allow you to plug in your rewards number and, they can't claim your points for themselves since rewards programs have express policies saying that you cannot manage an account for someone else. It's been tried and it's on area that hotels/airlines are on the individual's side for once. If they just go to a full on travel dept to arrange everything and hand you an itinerary, that could be very bad because those people have one goal and that's to save money. And none of them understand travel either so they will book you dumb connects that push the min legal reqs. I had to go through an agency with one customer that insisted on it and they booked me a 40 min layover in YVR on to YYJ. Clearing immigration would have been pushing it anyways let alone I was on a work visa... you bet i missed the connect and got stuck with no dinner that evening when I got to the boat.

My company keeps making rumblings about P cards and using the travel portals. It's an effective pay cut for sure. Doubly so now that the points programs are increasingly terrible going to rev based earnings and so forth. The writing is on the wall. Things aren't as good for me as they were in '03 when I started doing this.

AgrippaNothing fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 3, 2014

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Midjack posted:

FYI he's the guy from Hong Kong who has to bring a teapot and suitcase of noodles for his seniors whenever they travel. I'm surprised his company actually pays for hotels rather than making them sleep in the rental car.

Is that for real?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
we book through corporate travel and still get points, so thats not really a big deal. The rest sounds lovely and not a good sign for the direction of the company.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thoguh posted:

The one advantage for employees to a mandatory corporate card is that the company never owes you money. I know some frequent travellers are hardcore about that, even taking cash advances against their Amex to pay tips and such. Works even better if the company is wholly responsible for the corporate card.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

smackfu posted:

The one advantage for employees to a mandatory corporate card is that the company never owes you money. I know some frequent travellers are hardcore about that, even taking cash advances against their Amex to pay tips and such. Works even better if the company is wholly responsible for the corporate card.

Yeah, I agree with that. I wish I was able to get the points from all the money spent while I'm on travel, but I also like the fact that I'm not being exposed to any risk.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I think if we end up with P-cards, that is the upshot. No two ways about it, accounting is a bitch using my own cards and running a slush fund to pay cards and run expenses check through not to mention pealing out my personal spend among the biz spend. But picking up a 1 or 2 new cards every year and clocking the min spend gives me serious miles/points to spend on top of the butt in seat/head on pillow points I rack up. Plus with all the airlines going to rev based earning I think CC churn/spend will be the only way to hang on to having a few dream flights a year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
When I've had to use corporate booking in the past I still get my points. I just have all my FF#s listed and they were tagged appropriately to the purchase.

The downside was no incremental points due to credit card spend. The upside is that you don't have to float money to the company.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

They just took away our car allowance ($6500!!), so I feel you dude. :(

Our travel booking portal is also not bad, but I sometimes end up searching outside the site to get the times and hotel locations I want first. Then I fiddle with the portal search parameters to get exactly what I want.

Also, Seattle, what the hell?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
In our portal there's a place to punch in all the FF#s. We can either book through the portal and select routes ourselves or talk to a live agent who gives us a bunch of wonky route options (and waste 10 minutes going over seat selections for every segment even though I can just change it later whenever). But I guess using the live agent tacks on a hefty fee, more so than a more expensive route, so we are encouraged not to use them if at all possible.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Just getting to MCI is a pain in the rear end. Let's build the airport in the middle of nowhere. I have family in Topeka, flying there sucks, as I always have to transfer somewhere coming from SAT. The trip usually looks like SAT->DAL->MCI 90 minute drive to Topeka, since that city is so bullshit they don't even have public air transportation available. To be fair though living in Texas and flying from SAT I almost always have to transfer in Dallas or Houston.

Welcome to my life every week for the past 15 out of 20 months except I get to go BDL -> (DTW, CVG, or ATL) -> MCI. :( United started flying 50 seat ERJs out of Topeka to Chicago but since I fly Delta I'm stuck making that drive every Monday morning & Thursday afternoon. Atleast it gives me an excuse to leave the office early to catch a 5:15 flight.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Well, finally showed up for a meeting a month early. I sort of blame one of my colleagues who invited me along and was unclear about the actual date (numeric day was correct). Fortunately, total cost was like a $7 MARC train ride, a $120 one way flight, and lunch.

I sure do feel loving stupid though!!!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So my company cheaped out and now I have to fly from the US to my destination, going through the Heathrow Airport.

It looks like I need to switch terminals from 3 to 4. The internet is a bit confusing on this. I need to take a train or something between the 2? I assume it's free?

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
There's a bus, T4 is on the other side of the runway so you can't walk it.

Be glad you don't have to get a rental car from T4 because that's a 20 minute bus ride. gently caress Heathrow and/or Skyteam.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Pvt Dancer posted:

There's a bus, T4 is on the other side of the runway so you can't walk it.

Be glad you don't have to get a rental car from T4 because that's a 20 minute bus ride. gently caress Heathrow and/or Skyteam.

So what the hell is this Heathrow connect train thing? gently caress, what a confusing airport.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thousands of people navigate that airport easily for the first time every day. You will be fine. There are signs. They're even in English.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TLG James posted:

So what the hell is this Heathrow connect train thing? gently caress, what a confusing airport.

If I remember right that's the train that runs between the airport and Paddington station downtown. Fast and cheap way into the city.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
I showed up to my global entry appointment 1.5 hours early (gently caress you google traffic!) and they took me immediately. I was done in less than 15 minutes, which was kinda surreal. Now to see if either global entry or pre-check will work because my name has special characters in it!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Midjack posted:

If I remember right that's the train that runs between the airport and Paddington station downtown. Fast and cheap way into the city.

That's the Heathrow Express, yeah. I'd only really call it cheap when compared to a taxi, though. If I remember right, it was 20-25 pounds each way when I was there last year. Then again, maybe there was a round-trip option I missed after having been up for 20 hours straight.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MickeyFinn posted:

I showed up to my global entry appointment 1.5 hours early (gently caress you google traffic!) and they took me immediately. I was done in less than 15 minutes, which was kinda surreal. Now to see if either global entry or pre-check will work because my name has special characters in it!

My name has special characters in it and I've never had a problem.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

TLG James posted:

So my company cheaped out and now I have to fly from the US to my destination, going through the Heathrow Airport.

It looks like I need to switch terminals from 3 to 4. The internet is a bit confusing on this. I need to take a train or something between the 2? I assume it's free?

It's pretty easy if everything's on time. You'll probably have to clear customs and go through security. Don't have a bunch of loose crap in your carry-on bags or that'll take forever.

It's not hard though:

sellouts posted:

Thousands of people navigate that airport easily for the first time every day. You will be fine. There are signs. They're even in English.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Kreeblah posted:

That's the Heathrow Express, yeah. I'd only really call it cheap when compared to a taxi, though. If I remember right, it was 20-25 pounds each way when I was there last year. Then again, maybe there was a round-trip option I missed after having been up for 20 hours straight.

There is both a Heathrow Connect and a Heathrow Express train. The express train is dramatically more expensive, takes about fifteen or twenty minutes, and goes non-stop to Paddington. The Heathrow connect is significantly cheaper, takes thirty minutes, and makes three or four stops along the way. Unless work is paying, Heathrow Connect works just fine for me. Hell, last time I was over there, a dead train on the track that had stuff hosed up so we got to ride on the express train anyway.

And yes, there are a couple of options to get between terminals at LHR. It's annoying but not difficult by any means. And remember that security is super duper serious about liquids in the UK; if they find something, they'll completely disassemble your entire bag and inspect each item. Make double drat sure you pulled your liquids out prior to screening. :jerkbag:

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Brit security and immigration is uberseriousness.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think you can go terminal to terminal airside at LHR but I am always O&D so I don't know for sure.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Aristotle Animes posted:

Brit security and immigration is uberseriousness.

I always get a kick out of US customs being populated by mostly middle-aged, unarmed men, whereas other countries all seem to have young, fit soldiers with submachineguns scanning the crowd. "Welcome to our country, but please don't gently caress around."

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Ynglaur posted:

I always get a kick out of US customs being populated by mostly middle-aged, unarmed men, whereas other countries all seem to have young, fit soldiers with submachineguns scanning the crowd. "Welcome to our country, but please don't gently caress around."

Where have you been where custom officers were unarmed? I always see them with a side arm at minimum.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

DaRealAce posted:

Where have you been where custom officers were unarmed? I always see them with a side arm at minimum.

I never noticed them carrying at the Toronto checkpoint, or in Chicago. This may be because I didn't notice, of course.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's pretty easy if everything's on time. You'll probably have to clear customs and go through security. Don't have a bunch of loose crap in your carry-on bags or that'll take forever.

It's not hard though:

Pretty sure last time I changed terminals at LHR it was security only. Customs was only necessary if you were leaving the airport. Granted it's a constant construction project there and I wouldn't be surprised if there were changes from time to time.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Ynglaur posted:

I never noticed them carrying at the Toronto checkpoint, or in Chicago. This may be because I didn't notice, of course.

I'm just thinking to my experiences at LAX and SFO.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Ynglaur posted:

I'm not sure they carry while in Canada, because they have this weird thing here about being a sovereign country and poo poo.

But otherwise I've never seen a CBP rep without a gun, and quite often a flak jacket. US Customs, in my experience, are some of the rudest, harshest and most inflexible there are... And I've been to a few countries where they just point machine guns in your face,

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

US, Canada, and GB can be jarringly hostile. One time in Halifax, when asked about the purpose of my business travel to Canada, I told them meetings and the immigration officer freaked out and told me that that was the most generic answer I could have given, what are these meetings aboot and then the follow up was of course why can't a Canadian do your job. She was tiny, in Kevlar, way too wound up, and as far as I could tell, doing the same to everyone. I'm sure she thought she was scary, but I've been shaken down for cash by sweaty, gun toting, shouty dudes in the Caribbean...Halifax ain't poo poo.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The Canadian border guards are so easy to win over if you suggest or hint that the meeting may result in future business deals with the Canadian based side. They practically fire up the motorcade for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Uncle Jam posted:

The Canadian border guards are so easy to win over if you suggest or hint that the meeting may result in future business deals with the Canadian based side. They practically fire up the motorcade for you.

I'm hesitant to believe that this is a universal experience.