Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

hahahaha oh got they are going to unify everything in the worst possible way aren't they. here comes the x86 luminas
you know what has really been holding us back in the consumer space? the way we arent slapping our main brand - the one that reminds everyone of the barely functional machines they use at the job that they hate - on all of our products. phones are very personal devices, so we should try and create strong associations with restrictive security policies, malware outbreaks, and chubby it guys in mlp tshirts - that should drive consumer adoption, particularly at the high end. we should make them out of creaky black plastic, to really drive the point home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nokia plastic is (was) good plastic :colbert:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the nokia brand could have been loving gold for them.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

hahahaha oh got they are going to unify everything in the worst possible way aren't they. here comes the x86 luminas

nokia atom

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

duTrieux. posted:

the nokia brand could have been loving gold for them.

you're aware the takeover was to destroy it, right ?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

ms market growth strategy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

having a unified platform with x86 everywhere -- desktop, laptop, tablet, mobile -- would not be a terrible idea. which is why this is impossible, microsoft is incapable of a unified strategy that would actually help developers

intel already makes x86 chips suitable for phones but they only turn up in chinese-market androids b/c google's app store doesn't really support them

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

having a unified platform with x86 everywhere -- desktop, laptop, tablet, mobile -- would not be a terrible idea. which is why this is impossible, microsoft is incapable of a unified strategy that would actually help developers

intel already makes x86 chips suitable for phones but they only turn up in chinese-market androids b/c google's app store doesn't really support them

how does having a unified platform help microsoft's devices? now you need to run windows update on your phone? your desktop is locked down to only run lovely store apps? your tablet has the battery life of a lovely x86 laptop?

intel's x86 chips for phones are terrible and no one wants them. intel has to pay massive subsidies to get anyone to use them.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mod sassinator posted:

how does having a unified platform help microsoft's devices? now you need to run windows update on your phone? your desktop is locked down to only run lovely store apps? your tablet has the battery life of a lovely x86 laptop?

compile once, run everywhere. only for real this time. it is outrageously stupid that "metro" apps didn't run on phones on release day. wp7 and wp8 and windows 8 w/ metro should never have been released.

mod sassinator posted:

intel's x86 chips for phones are terrible and no one wants them. intel has to pay massive subsidies to get anyone to use them.

they're perfectly fine, performance-wise. nobody wants them specifically because google's app store is meant for ARM. it's useless to make phones that can't use google play.

that won't be a problem with microsoft's total control of the app store and current 0% market share.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

compile once, run everywhere. only for real this time. it is outrageously stupid that "metro" apps didn't run on phones on release day. wp7 and wp8 and windows 8 w/ metro should never have been released.

how will everything running x86 make 'compile once run everywhere' work for vastly different input types (touch, mouse, etc.), huge screen resolution differences, and major hardware differences (what is a health monitor app that uses biometric sensors on phones going to do on a laptop?)

compile once run everywhere is and always will be a pipe dream. if you want to build good experiences you have to build them for the device and hardware.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

windows should never have been released

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

mod sassinator posted:

if you want to build good experiences you have to build them for the device and hardware.

now explain windows rt

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

how will everything running x86 make 'compile once run everywhere' work for vastly different input types (touch, mouse, etc.), huge screen resolution differences, and major hardware differences (what is a health monitor app that uses biometric sensors on phones going to do on a laptop?)

compile once run everywhere is and always will be a pipe dream. if you want to build good experiences you have to build them for the device and hardware.

according to shaggar a simple xaml is all you need

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

qirex posted:

you can get away with that for like, a fart keyboard app. but the second you have something that is computationally/memory expensive the whole idea falls on its face and you're writing a separate app for each platform

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

flakeloaf posted:

now explain windows rt

it's poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

resource load aside if you're trying to do any kind of interaction pattern beyond "pres butan" you need not only different layouts but typically fundamentally different UI models based on both input device and target size

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mod sassinator posted:

for the purposes of metro, everything is a touchscreen interface varying in size and DPI.

how do iOS apps handle varying sizes and DPI ? oh yeah just loving fine

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
granted, metro-on-the-desktop was pretty stupid

but having separate tablet and phone architectures, APIs, and interfaces was really stupid. windows tablet can't run windows phone apps looool

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mod sassinator posted:

yep

mod sassinator posted:

yep

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nope

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
given that windows laptops now ship with touch screens i don't see why i shouldn't be able to compile/run tablet and phone apps

if you are on board with any part of microsoft's strategy that seems like the only sane outcome: write an app with tablet and phone interfaces, compile/run unmodified on every microsoft device.

if you abandon that goal nothing they are doing makes any sense

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nothing they are doing makes any sense

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

they made 2012r2 core installs not suck complete rear end, I'm guessing they've gotten to the point that they can whittle down the NT kernel to just enough that you need to run the guts of the phone and then put a non-explorer.exe gui on the top of that for a phone or tablet. but that assumes vision and competence and I bet they just hosed it up and are shoehorning the desktop OS in to mobile

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

so what the gently caress is up wth this anyway?:

2cpu, 2 lic.

2 Dual Core CPU, 8 licenses

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

2cpu, 2 lic.

microsoft's license and pricing people have always been the smartest ones in the company

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

2cpu, 2 lic.

lol

code:
[2] A "Core Factor" must be applied to certain AMD processors and to CPUs with single or dual cores:

Processor Type 	Core Factor
AMD Series 31XX, 32XX, 33XX, 41XX, 42XX, 43XX, 61XX, 62XX, 63XX, with 6 or more cores 	0.75
Single core 	4
Dual core 	2
Other 	1

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

what poo poo product is licensing by core instead of socket these days?

lol sorry about your poo poo amd processor, here's 25% off.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

licensing by core makes sense in terms of charging for performance but it's pretty hostile lol

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

it was such a huge gently caress You when vmware tried it with vram allocation. if you want to do it by the actual physical resources I have then fine by why the gently caress where they trying to make a cost penalty for over-provisioning VMs when thats the entire point of their product

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol that price floor being set at quad cores

e: and the pity discount for buying amd whose cores only count as .75 of a processor

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for the purposes of metro, everything is a touchscreen interface varying in size and DPI.

Apple cheats at HiDPI, they don't really solve the problem properly but the way they solve it works for 90% of their use cases. Just as long as you don't plug a hi-res monitor into OSX you're fine

GNOME of all things seems to get this right, but then there aren't any legacy apps for GNOME because everybody learned a long time ago that desktop linux is a hilariously unstable platform that's completely unsuitable for anything other than consoles and web applications.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

timeandtide posted:

Japan's first week console sales numbers are in. The Xbox One may be the worst selling launch week console in Japanese history*:

1998.11.27 [Sega Dreamcast] (¥29.800) – 101,490 (3 days)
2000.03.04 [Sony PlayStation 2] (¥39.800) – 630,552 (2 days)
2001.09.14 [Nintendo GameCube] (¥25.000) – 133,719 (3 days)
2002.02.22 [Microsoft Xbox] (¥34.800) – 123,929 (3 days)i
2005.12.10 [Microsoft Xbox 360] (¥29.000 / ¥39.795) – 62,135 (2 days)
2006.11.11 [Sony PlayStation 3] (¥49.980 / ¥59.980) – 88,443 (2 days)
2006.12.02 [Nintendo Wii] (¥25.000) – 371,936 (2 days)
2012.12.08 [Nintendo Wii U] (¥26.250 / ¥31.500) – 308,570 (2 days)
2014.02.22 [Sony PlayStation 4] (¥41.979 / ¥46.179)- 322,083 (2 days)
2014.09.04 [Microsoft Xbox One] (¥43.178 / ¥53.978) – 23,562 (4 days)

*I say "may" because Famitsu's data only goes back to the Dreamcast.

lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MS threw hundreds of millions at japanese game companies for exclusives during the 360 era, this time they aren't even trying

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

what poo poo product is licensing by core instead of socket these days?

lol sorry about your poo poo amd processor, here's 25% off.

oracle does that iirc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

MS threw hundreds of millions at japanese game companies for exclusives during the 360 era, this time they aren't even trying

MrLonghair posted:

2014.09.04 [Microsoft Xbox One] (¥43.178 / ¥53.978) – 23,562 (4 days)

2009.11.01 [Sony PlayStation Portable Go] (¥17.800) - 28.275 (1 day)

it sold worse in four days than the psp go (the one without the umd drive) did in one day lmao

even if they aren't trying thats just loving embarrassing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

it would be one application package with different views/viewmodels for each input/display type. you create a list of known display/input combos and then the developer picks the ones they want and the package system enforces the requirement for them the write the separate uis for each combo they selected.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
then when the dev submits it and it goes thru qa the package system creates a package for each device type that only contains that device type's ui

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

has anyone driven a popular product into a ditch quite as spectacularly and abruptly as msft did their xbox line?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they get rewritten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FMguru posted:

has anyone driven a popular product into a ditch quite as spectacularly and abruptly as msft did their xbox line?

i remember that e3, waiting to see how hard Sony would dropthe ball this time, bringing out a $900 video game console with a new proprietary media format or something.

but nope, it went good.

• Locked thread