Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Popular Thug Drink posted:

So rather than answer an uncomfortable question, you'd rather literally interpret a metaphorical statement and ding me for it?

What if I call your wife in the middle of the night and tell her that I'm going to kill her. Should that be censored? What if I play a tape of someone else saying it? I'm trying to see if you've got an absolute position here or if you're just stirring things up for laughs.

That would still fall under Chaplinsky since it is a direct threat to a person. You could say that all wives should be killed, that'd be fine. But if you said that all wives should be killed tonight with a kitchen knife that'd be incitement. It's tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

You're totally free to yell fire in a theater, actually. Good job picking a line from a court case that imprisoned someone who protested the draft. An excellent argument against proscribed speech categories.
Seriously? Whenever the limitations of the first amendment were explained to me in school or whatever the fire in the theater example comes up. Is that just a myth?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Samurai Sanders posted:

Seriously? Whenever the limitations of the first amendment were explained to me in school or whatever the fire in the theater example comes up. Is that just a myth?
This is a real example from a real case, it's just that the case was someone protesting the WWI draft, which the judge said was like yelling fire in a theatre and therefore not allowed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schenck_v._United_States
(Making it a less than stellar first amendment example)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DeusExMachinima posted:

You're totally free to yell fire in a theater, actually. Good job picking a line from a court case that imprisoned someone who protested the draft. An excellent argument against proscribed speech categories.
You're totally free to yell fire in a theater. And the owner of the theater is totally free to kick you out for it. And people are totally free to bring you to court if they get hurt because of it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SquadronROE posted:

Is there a thread about the recent Penn State stuff? I'm really interested to read more about the arguments people are hearing.

Let me sum it up for you:

Penn State students and alum: The NCAA overstepped their authority :reddit:
Everyone else: :fuckoff:

Penn State should've gotten the death penalty.

Cheekio posted:

Probably the most amazing racist thing I've heard. He doesn't have a problem with black voting, it's that he thinks black voting should be done in moderation. Maybe three out of every five black votes should count, or some such.

No no no, he wants educated voting and not just massed of dumb blacks voting because since they're dirty and uneducated they're going to vote for Democrats. He's clearly concerned that those people are just being tricked by democrats because they're too stupid to vote for the GOP! :downs:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

No no no, he wants educated voting and not just massed of dumb blacks voting because since they're dirty and uneducated they're going to vote for Democrats. He's clearly concerned that those people are just being tricked by democrats because they're too stupid to vote for the GOP! :downs:

This is just like those internet weirdos who say people should have a minimum IQ to vote because then obviously they'd vote correctly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wow.

poo poo like this just makes me think "Why not lie cheat and steal your way to the top? It's not like anyone will care!"

Unless, apparently, you're a pro baller who smacks his wife. Oh, THEN poo poo is on.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Sir Tonk posted:

And besides, it's never been about justice and/or preventing more death. All they care about is making Clinton look bad.

Right. This is why every death under Bush's watch was just accepted as The Price Of Freedom.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Right. This is why every death under Bush's watch was just accepted as The Price Of Freedom.

Who's watch? I don't remember anyone by that name being in office since the late eighties/early nineties, and possibly not even then depending.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Who's watch? I don't remember anyone by that name being in office since the late eighties/early nineties, and possibly not even then depending.
Of course. The war in Iraq began under Clinton in 2003, and continued under Obama from '04 on.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I was really surprised too. It's just an annoying meme now.

JT Jag posted:

You're totally free to yell fire in a theater. And the owner of the theater is totally free to kick you out for it. And people are totally free to bring you to court if they get hurt because of it.

The owner's free to kick you out because he doesn't like your tie, so that's a bad example. Nor is that a hate speech conviction. If you yell fire, openly admit to doing it falsely, and someone got trampled, *then* you can be on the hook.

The analogy doesn't really work anyway. Saying gays are evil is an ethical judgment, not an objectively verifiable is there a fire yes/no. If you honestly had reason to believe there was a fire, you should be safe from charges. Just like if you honestly believe gays are the worst and loudly say so.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 10, 2014

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Wow.

poo poo like this just makes me think "Why not lie cheat and steal your way to the top? It's not like anyone will care!"

Yeah everyone who's rich and powerful came to this decision a while ago.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Agreed, the NCAA is such a callow organization. Their reasoning can be summed up as follows: "you provided illegal inducements by paying your players in cash/tatoos/other benefits? Off with your head!"

"Penn State, you systematically covered up child abuse for years and continued to employ a known rapist for years, allowing him to abuse more minors? Well, as long as all those people are gone and you're really and truly sorry you can come out of timeout, because we value your schools football tradition sooo much."

Which ignores the fact that any other time a school is put on probation for the typical activities that get probation leveled (paying players) all the coaches and athletic directors are typically fired, but the school and the athletic department have to serve the remaining probation regardless. It's a double standard that shows how disingenuous the whole system is at it's roots.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

The analogy doesn't really work anyway. Saying gays are evil is an ethical judgment, not an objectively verifiable is there a fire yes/no. If you honestly had reason to believe there was a fire, you should be safe from charges. Just like if you honestly believe gays are the worst and loudly say so.

OK so how about something like 'all gays are pedophiles and letting them near children is child endangerment'? That's objectively false but also something a lot of people honestly believe.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

It's because the NCAA cares way more about keeping your players unpaid than it does about rape victims

Also, hate speech laws sound great. American of obsessed with positive freedom though, so we can't have nice things

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

"Hate speech has caused folks to kill themselves" and "don't respond to words with censorship" aren't mutually exclusive views.

All right then. Enlighten me here. Kids are being driven to suicide by hate speech, literally hounded into death with words. How do you solve it? How do you stop kids from being made so miserable by this speech that death seems a preferable alternative than living even one second longer?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how standing up and loudly proclaiming that "Nono, it's cool, these people have a right to torment you" is the solution here.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

twodot posted:

Fire in a theater.

JT Jag posted:

Fire in a theater.

See, this is why I don't go to theaters much anymore and just wait for that poo poo on Netflix or OnDemand. I can drink beer, get high, pause that poo poo when I take a whiz, make my own popcorn and all sorts of things. What does the first amendment say about using your dumb, stupid smart phone in theaters and texting/chatting while I'm trying to watch a movie?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I just really don't understand how football can be that overarching. I mean, it's a game. The team isn't even comprised of people who are local, as they are scholarships handed out to kids from other states.

I live in the South and the football culture here is massive, and baffling. There are people supporting teams for schools they didn't even go to.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

TLM3101 posted:

All right then. Enlighten me here. Kids are being driven to suicide by hate speech, literally hounded into death with words. How do you solve it? How do you stop kids from being made so miserable by this speech that death seems a preferable alternative than living even one second longer?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how standing up and loudly proclaiming that "Nono, it's cool, these people have a right to torment you" is the solution here.

Once again "rights" are just window dressing used by people to justify the fact that gay kids dying/women internalizing self-loathing/black people losing confidence is a feature, not a bug.

They want those 13 year olds to kill themselves.

God that article made me tear up. I'm at work, poo poo.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

SquadronROE posted:

I just really don't understand how football can be that overarching. I mean, it's a game. The team isn't even comprised of people who are local, as they are scholarships handed out to kids from other states.

I live in the South and the football culture here is massive, and baffling. There are people supporting teams for schools they didn't even go to.

It's among the less harmful (but still very harmful) expressions of "my tribe is good, the Others are evil and must be destroyed!" which seems to be a pretty attractive proposition to humans. And to America's credit, football riots in America are way, way less common than soccer riots elsewhere, so the violence is only slowly corrupting and destroying rather than immediate.

See also: all of American politics.

Also football is fun to watch, and way more fun if you have a team to care about.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

berzerker posted:

It's among the less harmful (but still very harmful) expressions of "my tribe is good, the Others are evil and must be destroyed!" which seems to be a pretty attractive proposition to humans. And to America's credit, football riots in America are way, way less common than soccer riots elsewhere, so the violence is only slowly corrupting and destroying rather than immediate.

See also: all of American politics.

Also football is fun to watch, and way more fun if you have a team to care about.

Love me some commercials- before, during, between plays, after, during the play reviews, and replays of past games.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone see this poll that has the GOP up 38(!!!!!) points up in who people trust to handle national defense? What the loving gently caress?

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/09/10/more-nbcwsj-poll-gop-takes-edge-on-top-issues/

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Anyone see this poll that has the GOP up 38(!!!!!) points up in who people trust to handle national defense? What the loving gently caress?

http://hotair.com/archives/2014/09/10/more-nbcwsj-poll-gop-takes-edge-on-top-issues/
The fact that people trust Republicans +10 on the economy is even more baffling to me.

The average American is pretty significantly dumb, ignorant or some mix of both.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The GOP's narrative is that they are the party that's good on national defense and economics. It doesn't matter that they are terrible at both of those things since half the media just parrots their talking points verbatim and the other half is too chicken poo poo to not just claim the truth is in the middle and both sides are equal.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

JT Jag posted:

The fact that people trust Republicans +10 on the economy is even more baffling to me.

The average American is pretty significantly dumb, ignorant or some mix of both.

The results of the American experiment is probably one of the better refutations against democracy.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Radish posted:

The GOP's narrative is that they are the party that's good on national defense and economics. It doesn't matter that they are terrible at both of those things since half the media just parrots their talking points verbatim and the other half is too chicken poo poo to not just claim the truth is in the middle and both sides are equal.

Seriously, no matter what they actually do, Republicans are good on the economy and national defense in the minds of Americans, because Democrats are chicken poo poo doves and will take all your money and give it to poor black people.

In today's QU poll of our state's governor race, the Republican running has a 54-37 lead on perception to handle the economy better and 59-31 favorability in taxes.....

.......This is a candidate who went to a closing paper mill and told the workers its their fault they're being laid off and has categorically refused to give any specifics on how he'd afford the tax cuts and freezing spend he keeps parroting out(actually for that matter he's categorically refused to offer specifics on anything, saying he'll rely on experts)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Love me some commercials- before, during, between plays, after, during the play reviews, and replays of past games.

God drat, this.

I really used to enjoy watching football but the commercials are just getting to be too loving much and way too frequent. Mostly, I fall asleep watching it. Kick off *commercial* Guy gets hurt *commercial* Touchdown *commercial* Extra point *commercial* Kickoff *commercial* 3 and out then punt *commercial* Turnover *commercial* Review *commercial*

Golf is more exciting.

It's a miracle that I still hate Miller Lite and Bud Light, have never owned a Chevy, a Ford or a Dodge truck and have never gotten into fantasy football leagues so maybe I have a natural ability to avoid the power of advertising. Anymore, I just watch NFL Gameday or ESPN and watch the highlights to stay caught up. What this has to do with US Politics I have no idea but I'm sure it fits in somewhere.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

Has anyone pointed out to Cruz that SNL was making fun of political campaigns long before Citizens United?

Or that the guy who does all the political material on SNL is a Republican?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

TLM3101 posted:

Sometimes people have to die and it's a tragedy but we'd lose freedoms we have now and we might turn into a dictatorship it's like a sacrifice you give say Trayvon Martin for maximum gun rights freedom or if statistics are right 1 in 4 women being raped or sexually assaulted for instance it will never be straight white dudes unless they're poor

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The results of the American experiment is probably one of the better refutations against democracy.

Politicians in the US look at Russia and China with envy,they do not like this democracy or republic poo poo you can tell.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

comes along bort posted:

Or that the guy who does all the political material on SNL is a Republican?
Yeah but he's probably a Reagan Republican who hasn't moved much further right since the 80s. AKA "practically a Democrat".

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

JT Jag posted:

The average American has absolutely no loving clue how the economy actually works beyond a passing understanding of the Macroeconomics 101 level. They still think that the federal budget works like a household budget, and that debt is bad, even after the debt ceiling fiasco. Hell, most Americans don't understand how tax brackets actually work, or just how ridiculously and astronomically rich people like Adelson or the Kochs are, or even who they are.

The average American thinks saying that you're "fiscally conservative" means you think we should be smart about how the government spends its money instead of being code for "I don't have any idea how the economy or fiscal policy works".

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:rolleyes:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
The average American is too busy trying to make ends meet to give a poo poo about politics. Knowing policy matters at more than a general level is a bourgeois affection for most.

People aren't stupid. They are busy, apathetic, and have been carefully groomed and lied to by one of the most effective propaganda machines in history.

Assuming you are smarter than the public is liberal as gently caress.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

zamin posted:

Hell, most Americans don't understand how tax brackets actually work, .

Oof, I encountered this in the wild a little while ago. Smart lady, retired cop, absolutely refused to believe that the tiny raise we're getting won't cost her money overall because of tax brackets. It was completely bizarre because she asked me to explain and I diagrammed it and she still didn't believe me.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Because I totally wasn't even a little facetious writing that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

The average American is too busy trying to make ends meet to give a poo poo about politics. Knowing policy matters at more than a general level is a bourgeois affection for most.

People aren't stupid. They are busy, apathetic, and have been carefully groomed and lied to by one of the most effective propaganda machines in history.

Assuming you are smarter than the public is liberal as gently caress.

In my case it's true though.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

made of bees posted:

OK so how about something like 'all gays are pedophiles and letting them near children is child endangerment'? That's objectively false but also something a lot of people honestly believe.

TLM3101 posted:

Already covered this and so has the legal system. If it's sincere it's A-OK. Only a threat of violence justifies such a response, ever. And yeah, I have been on a seriously bad receiving end of this before you talk about my inability to understand. The solution to bad speech is more speech, since you asked.

Xibanya posted:

Once again "rights" are just window dressing used by people to justify the fact that gay kids dying/women internalizing self-loathing/black people losing confidence is a feature, not a bug.

You're late to the party. Everyone else knew I was a fatshamer racist ever since I went to the right of Leon Trotsky. Jinx!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

DeusExMachinima posted:

Already covered this and so has the legal system. If it's sincere it's A-OK. Only a threat of violence justifies such a response, ever. And yeah, I have been on a seriously bad receiving end of this before you talk about privilege.

You're late to the party. Everyone else knew I was a fatshamer racist ever since I went to the right of Leon Trotsky. Jinx!

So as long as you are sincere about hating gay people it is already to drive gay teens to suicide. That may be the most lovely opinion I've ever read, and on D&D that is saying a lot.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

zoux posted:

In my case it's true though.

Well yeah, individual members of the public can be stupid, but we try not to talk about you using names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

The solution to bad speech is more speech, since you asked.

That's a fine solution when both speakers have equal power and institutional privilege.

But then again, are you against US libel laws?