Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Red Garland posted:

Guys, I'm looking for a game that will make me feel like a big mister boss man. Think Overlord, but more serious. Preferably organized crime-themed but my expectations are high enough, so I'll live without that. Thinking about playing a guild creation mod in Skyrim but I'm looking for more recommendations. Thanks in advance.

I suggest The Godfather. You take over the city block by block, it's great. Hate to spoil it but you become The Godfather. I guarantee that you will have more fun with it than a guild creation mod for Skyrim. Godfather 2 kinda sucked though, each city area was way too small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
What about Syndicate? It's old, but might do the trick.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Red Garland posted:

Guys, I'm looking for a game that will make me feel like a big mister boss man. Think Overlord, but more serious. Preferably organized crime-themed but my expectations are high enough, so I'll live without that. Thinking about playing a guild creation mod in Skyrim but I'm looking for more recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Thirding The Guild / Europa 1400, if you can find it.

Here's an example of the poo poo you can do: if you play a thief or robber baron, eventually you're able to buy out or take over all the guard posts and fire all the nightwatchmen, so that no one will interfere in your criminal activities. Or you can keep them and make them go around the town collecting protection money, and then just order them to do nothing when your thieves plunder the neighbourhood.

If you don't like someone, you can forge evidence to have him accused of crimes (or just hire spies to follow them and gather legit evidence). If you manage to get yourself appointed dungeon master, you can then torture the unlucky bastard for confession. Then you can seduce / bribe / blackmail the judge to make the law stricter just before the trial, so that the sentence gets upgraded from few years in prison to potentially even death sentence.

The Guild is still pretty much the best nepotism / intrigue simulator ever made. Guild 2 is prettier but worse in every other way, even with all the expansions.

Neckbrace
May 10, 2002

Dentistry? I can't even believe that's something that's real.
I'm looking for a newish, free to play or cheap Call of Duty like fps. Cash shop games are fine as long as there is some depth without buying anything. Loadout is too shallow and the gameplay is too arcadey. I'm looking for something like battlefield heros but hopefully less pay to win and more skill based. Something like CS GO but with the ability to aim down sight for the love of god.

Edit: I guess free to play, cheap or $60 doesn't matter as long as it has a healthy player base and doesn't require a brand new gaming pc to run.

Neckbrace fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 10, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Neckbrace posted:

I'm looking for a newish, free to play or cheap Call of Duty like fps. Cash shop games are fine as long as there is some depth without buying anything. Loadout is too shallow and the gameplay is too arcadey. I'm looking for something like battlefield heros but hopefully less pay to win and more skill based. Something like CS GO but with the ability to aim down sight for the love of god.

Edit: I guess free to play, cheap or $60 doesn't matter as long as it has a healthy player base and doesn't require a brand new gaming pc to run.

Planetside 2?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Neckbrace posted:

Blacklight Retribution for sure. Reminds me of Call of Duty, but you have a visor that can see through walls and sometimes you can run around a giant mech thing. Try it out, it's free and on Steam.

Neckbrace
May 10, 2002

Dentistry? I can't even believe that's something that's real.
Downloading Blacklight Retribution, planetside 2 and heroes and generals.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Neckbrace posted:

Downloading Blacklight Retribution, planetside 2 and heroes and generals.

I've heard Planetside 2 is cool but I've found the learning curve to be a bit steep. There's a lot of stuff you have to figure out. Sometimes your gameplay will consist mostly of running to the front lines for 5 minutes only to die immediately. I feel like I would like the game if I could figure it out. APB has an easier learning curve in my opinion, and that game's hard as gently caress.

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible

grate deceiver posted:

Thirding The Guild / Europa 1400, if you can find it.

Here's an example of the poo poo you can do: if you play a thief or robber baron, eventually you're able to buy out or take over all the guard posts and fire all the nightwatchmen, so that no one will interfere in your criminal activities. Or you can keep them and make them go around the town collecting protection money, and then just order them to do nothing when your thieves plunder the neighbourhood.

If you don't like someone, you can forge evidence to have him accused of crimes (or just hire spies to follow them and gather legit evidence). If you manage to get yourself appointed dungeon master, you can then torture the unlucky bastard for confession. Then you can seduce / bribe / blackmail the judge to make the law stricter just before the trial, so that the sentence gets upgraded from few years in prison to potentially even death sentence.

The Guild is still pretty much the best nepotism / intrigue simulator ever made. Guild 2 is prettier but worse in every other way, even with all the expansions.

Its on steam. guild gold.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've heard Planetside 2 is cool but I've found the learning curve to be a bit steep. There's a lot of stuff you have to figure out. Sometimes your gameplay will consist mostly of running to the front lines for 5 minutes only to die immediately. I feel like I would like the game if I could figure it out. APB has an easier learning curve in my opinion, and that game's hard as gently caress.

Playing in a coordinated group with other people will make the game much more enjoyable and you can ask whats going on and get advice etc. Its very much a squad/platoon orientated game and theres something super satisfying about being able to call in the location of a sunderer and watch half a dozen rockets hit it from several different angles, or take part in a coordinated tank pull with air support.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

All the console folks with their Destiny and Halo-esque FPS action I am hankering for a similar feeling FPS. IE longer TTK than Call of Duty or realistic games but enemies that are very reactive to getting shot rather than being straight bullet sponges. Any suggestions with a meaty single player to dig into? Exclude from the suggestions: Metro and Stalker games since I just recently spent a bunch of time with both series.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sextro posted:

All the console folks with their Destiny and Halo-esque FPS action I am hankering for a similar feeling FPS. IE longer TTK than Call of Duty or realistic games but enemies that are very reactive to getting shot rather than being straight bullet sponges. Any suggestions with a meaty single player to dig into? Exclude from the suggestions: Metro and Stalker games since I just recently spent a bunch of time with both series.

It's 3rd person but Binary Domain has extremely reactive enemies (they're robots that you can basically shoot apart piece by piece.)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sextro posted:

Rage is really good about this. The game doesn't use ragdoll but enemies have a variety of unique animations depending on where they're hit and what they're doing while they're hit.

Just ignore the racing bullshit after the required mission.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

Rage is really good about this. The game doesn't use ragdoll but enemies have a variety of unique animations depending on where they're hit and what they're doing while they're hit.

Just ignore the racing bullshit after the required mission.

I thought that was cool about Rage as well - even misses make enemies react. It's one of the few shooters I've played where suppression fire actually does something other than waste bullets.

Red Garland posted:

If you don't mind there not being much in the way of graphics, Liberal Crime Squad is very much this.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I've been beating my head against Banished again after throwing my hands in the air and swearing to never play it again a few months ago, following everyone starving to death (again). Does anyone know of other city/town management games that are on a relatively small scale like this and equally or close to as challenging? I've tried the newest Sim Cities after not playing any since 2000 and they didn't quite do it for me. The graphics don't have to be A+++ amazing, I'm more interested in mechanics and gameplay.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....
Anyone have a reccomendation about a game that plays kinda like an old space sim called Independance War 2: Edge of Chaos?

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!
Anyone have a recommendation for something turn-based warfare style ala Advanced Wars or FF: Tactics with online multiplayer?

Been playing Advanced War by Web but friends hate the UI and lack of Animations so looking for anything in a similar vein.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
^^^^^^
Check out the new XCOM - it's more small scale tactics along the lines of FFT rather than advance wars, but the multiplayer is pretty neat, letting you play with custom teams of both aliens and humans based on a point-buy system. I don't know of anyone really plays it much anymore, but if you're planning on playing with friends that shouldn't be an issue.

Tendai posted:

I've been beating my head against Banished again after throwing my hands in the air and swearing to never play it again a few months ago, following everyone starving to death (again). Does anyone know of other city/town management games that are on a relatively small scale like this and equally or close to as challenging? I've tried the newest Sim Cities after not playing any since 2000 and they didn't quite do it for me. The graphics don't have to be A+++ amazing, I'm more interested in mechanics and gameplay.

I imagine you've already tried it, but Dwarf Fortress is exactly what you're looking for if you can get past the obtuse interface. It's actually not NEARLY as complicated to play as it initially seems; it's just that it makes everything you can possibly build available from the start and doesn't really organize them in a way that makes it obvious what you need first. It's very easy to pick up with a quick start tutorial though, and there are tilesets available if you have trouble making sense of the ASCII. It is basically the ultimate town building game, which is why so many people have tried to copy it. None of them have really managed to capture what makes DF interesting though, so it's absolutely worth putting in the effort to get past that initial hump.

Also, the main challenge you're always going to have playing Banished is keeping people fed. It's easy to accidentally spike your population by accepting nomads you don't have the supplies to handle and then everyone starves. I think a big issue with the game is that farms aren't anywhere close to being as efficient as you'd think they would be. Gatherer's huts produce way more food for the number of people working them.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 11, 2014

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I actually haven't tried it -- it's one of those games that I've heard about but never been clear what the hell it was all about. Now I know to try, thank you!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wassbix posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for something turn-based warfare style ala Advanced Wars or FF: Tactics with online multiplayer?

Been playing Advanced War by Web but friends hate the UI and lack of Animations so looking for anything in a similar vein.

Skulls of the Shogun is kind of similar. Each player goes back and forth getting x number of activations per turn, you can capture objects on the field to get more more per turn or new units to hire, have guys eat the skulls of their defeated enemies to gain power and level up. It's kinda fun and goes on sale through steam or humble bundles pretty frequently.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tendai posted:

I actually haven't tried it -- it's one of those games that I've heard about but never been clear what the hell it was all about. Now I know to try, thank you!

Go find the DF thread on the forums it has a fantastic starting guide and explanations.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

I have a certain specific set of criteria in mind for a type of game I think I could potentially really enjoy, but since it's such a specific set of criteria, I don't expect any one game to meet all criteria. Mainly I'm just looking to see if anyone can name some games I don't already know about.

Basically, I want a game that can take the place of a boring long-term hobby, like stamp collecting or something. I don't want something that's challenging, where I have to think too hard or worry about potentially losing time or resources as a result of making mistakes. I just want something that will keep my hands busy while I'm listening to music/podcasts or thinking about other things. The critical thing is that the game be based around gradually building something over a long period of time as you continue to play it.

I can think of a few games that already come close, were it not for a few key things that get in the way of them being perfect. Minecraft is great, since it presents an infinite world that you can progressively construct more and more structures in for as long as you want, however you want; unfortunately, my personal creative muses never leant themselves to building architecture, so I never even know where to begin. Terraria and Starbound have the same appeal and the same problem for me. If there were a game like those that allowed you to be creative through another medium, that might work for me.

I also like the concept of games like Puzzle & Dragons, where there's a huge variety of monsters you can collect over a long period of time. But I'm put off by the fact that the game limits how many monsters you can have at once and how often you can play, requires that you play consistently and on certain days to have the best chances of getting certain monsters, and requires that you make "friends" in order to optimize your gameplay and win chances even further. I'd love just playing the puzzle game and collecting the monsters, but I can't stand having any of that other stuff hanging over my head.

At first it might seem like an RPG would have the kind of thing I'm looking for, and I'm not opposed to the idea altogether. But the issue with most RPGs for me is that they're TOO simple. I'm not against the concept of grinding, but I'd rather it not involve just tapping a button to choose the same commands over and over again. I'd prefer an action RPG, or something like Paper Mario where you at least have to pay attention to the timing of your attacks. I still want gameplay that's easy and simple, but I would like it to keep me active while I'm playing it. I've actually been enjoying Path of Exile recently, as an example; I like the wide variety of items to collect and the potential to spend a lot of time experimenting with different builds. I just wonder if there's something like that that's less intense, less focused on online competition. Honestly, I'd prefer something that was completely offline.

Also, not Animal Crossing. But that's sort of on the right track.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Three games spring to mind: Skyrim, which is completely single player and is a game you could easily lose a few hundred hours to between the base game and modding. Guild Wars 2, which, despite it being an MMO can be enjoyed solo for the most part. Then there's WoW, which has been my go-to game for something to do while I listen to podcasts. PvP is absolutely optional and even raiding these days doesn't require being in a guild due to the LFR tool, which matches you with a bunch of pubs to run fairly easy raids.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Maybe one of the F2P card games (e.g. SolForge, Hearthstone)? Those mostly attempt to drive monetization by making it take a long time to get a good collection, but it sounds like that might be a non-issue or even a plus for you. I know SolForge doesn't require you to play online to get most of the daily rewards out of it; you can just play a few games vs. the AI to get the large majority.

Gorka
Aug 18, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Factorio might be relevant with your criteria, you basically automate things more and more and it can go by itself even if you're distracted by your music / podcast.

I was also thinking about Kerbal Space Program, the spaceship building is cool and flying your new toy around can also be rewarding. (But if you want to go on long missions, you can actually lose time if you fail some manoeuvers, which goes against one of your criteria.)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Wanton Spoon posted:

I have a certain specific set of criteria in mind for a type of game I think I could potentially really enjoy, but since it's such a specific set of criteria, I don't expect any one game to meet all criteria. Mainly I'm just looking to see if anyone can name some games I don't already know about.

Basically, I want a game that can take the place of a boring long-term hobby, like stamp collecting or something. I don't want something that's challenging, where I have to think too hard or worry about potentially losing time or resources as a result of making mistakes. I just want something that will keep my hands busy while I'm listening to music/podcasts or thinking about other things. The critical thing is that the game be based around gradually building something over a long period of time as you continue to play it.

I can think of a few games that already come close, were it not for a few key things that get in the way of them being perfect. Minecraft is great, since it presents an infinite world that you can progressively construct more and more structures in for as long as you want, however you want; unfortunately, my personal creative muses never leant themselves to building architecture, so I never even know where to begin. Terraria and Starbound have the same appeal and the same problem for me. If there were a game like those that allowed you to be creative through another medium, that might work for me.

I also like the concept of games like Puzzle & Dragons, where there's a huge variety of monsters you can collect over a long period of time. But I'm put off by the fact that the game limits how many monsters you can have at once and how often you can play, requires that you play consistently and on certain days to have the best chances of getting certain monsters, and requires that you make "friends" in order to optimize your gameplay and win chances even further. I'd love just playing the puzzle game and collecting the monsters, but I can't stand having any of that other stuff hanging over my head.

At first it might seem like an RPG would have the kind of thing I'm looking for, and I'm not opposed to the idea altogether. But the issue with most RPGs for me is that they're TOO simple. I'm not against the concept of grinding, but I'd rather it not involve just tapping a button to choose the same commands over and over again. I'd prefer an action RPG, or something like Paper Mario where you at least have to pay attention to the timing of your attacks. I still want gameplay that's easy and simple, but I would like it to keep me active while I'm playing it. I've actually been enjoying Path of Exile recently, as an example; I like the wide variety of items to collect and the potential to spend a lot of time experimenting with different builds. I just wonder if there's something like that that's less intense, less focused on online competition. Honestly, I'd prefer something that was completely offline.

I sometimes like to play video games while reading or programming, so I need something that only periodically demands my attention while I mostly focus on something else. There are two games that fit your description, and I've put at least 300 hours into each. One is Fallout 3, an RPG/FPS where you wander around the wasteland after a nuclear war exploring, meeting people, and fighting. You can handle combat either through fast-paced gunfights or by entering a turn-based mode. I strongly recommend getting all the DLC, or at least Broken Steel. Civilization V is an empire-building game where you start at a chosen date (I recommend 4,000 BC) and try to lead your civilization to ruling the world or colonizing other ones. With the right mods a single game can last 60 hours and remain engaging the whole time. I recommend all the DLC and the Play the World: Extended mod.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I'm looking for a commercial flight simulator (not a combat sim) which has some sort of business model or economy in it. Basically, I love flight sims as chill desktop apps that I can use while I'm listening to podcasts and stuff, but just the standard MSFS model of "pick a plane, go fly somewhere" is a little too open-ended for me. I'm wondering if there's a game out there that has me running an airline or being a commercial pilot for hire, and I can ferry passengers, make money, buy new planes, etc etc etc. Sorta like Euro Truck Simulator, but with planes.

Failing that, some kind of mission structure or goals to focus on beyond "fly to this place" would be cool. AFAIK, MS Flight isn't supported anymore and it wasn't really that great to begin with, but something along those lines.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 12, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Wanton Spoon posted:

The Harvest Moon series?

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Although the types of games that have been suggested aren't all what I'm looking for, they're still good suggestions. I should point out that the more obscure the game is, the better; I don't mind if a game doesn't fit my description exactly if it at least provides something new that I haven't heard about or seen before. Then there's a chance it could catch my interest in a way I couldn't have even predicted.

Shab posted:

Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, WoW
I've played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, but I've never played them for very long. I wouldn't really be able to say why, other than I have a lot of trouble getting invested in high fantasy settings like that. It might be worth trying one of them again with a new perspective or goal in mind.

I understand the suggestion for MMOs in general, since most of them are based on keeping you playing forever, but I'd rather avoid them if I can--or at least, I'd like to know about alternatives.

Supraluminal posted:

SolForge, Hearthstone
I'll admit, card games are one genre I never gave a fair shot because they always seemed like huge money sinks. If they're starting to take advantage of the flexibility of online gameplay to make it so that there's free alternatives for getting new cards, this might actually work out really well for me. I'll look into it when I have the time to figure out how it all works.

Gorka posted:

Factorio, Kerbal Space Program
I already knew about Factorio and was interested in playing it, but I thought it might be better to wait until the game is out of beta so I can get the full experience the first time. Or is Factorio one of those "beta" releases that's basically the full game, but is released in beta so no one can complain about bugs? I'll try it if that's the case.

I knew about Kerbal Space Program on some level, but I haven't looked into it in depth because it seems like the type of toy that's for people who either 1) are really really interested in games that can simulate realistic physics, or 2) really really like watching things blow up in disastrous ways. Since I'm not either of those two types of people, would you say there's more to the game than that?

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Fallout 3, Civilization V
I see where you're coming from, but for me the Civilization series falls into the realm of "not nearly simple enough". Too much micromanagement, too many opportunities to fail a multiple-hour game by making slip-ups, and even if you do succeed, the game still inevitably reaches a definite end at some point and you have to start over from the beginning. Fallout 3 is better, but it has the same issue as the Elder Scrolls games where I have trouble getting invested in what's going on (is it just a Bethesda thing?). On top of that, maybe I just didn't know how to play it properly, but it felt like I had to be careful about resource management in that game as well.

Fat Samurai posted:

The Harvest Moon series?
This is a great suggestion, and I do like the Harvest Moon series. It's just a little off from what I'm looking for. For a lot of the games, the real-time clock puts a little too much pressure on me to make decisions on what I should be doing at any given point in time. The Rune Factory series is a lot more forgiving in that regard, and I played RF4 for a long time, but those games still reach a point fairly early on where you stop seeing content that's actually new. Eventually the townspeople start repeating themselves, and there's only so much you can do with your farm. That's why I'd prefer a game that allows you to be creative with whatever limited content it has, like Minecraft.

But farm games are good, at least the ones that are more focused on building a home for yourself than they are about managing time and money. I'm looking forward to the release of Stardew Valley. If there's any others, I'd like to know about them so I can at least look into them.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
I seem to have very similar tastes to you, even to the point of also following the information on Stardew Valley as it develops. I can heartily recommend Factorio - it's essentially complete as it stands, and certainly can be played and enjoyed as is. I suspect more will be added, but bugs seem fairly rare and the game isn't badly balanced or anything. You should certainly get a decent amount of fun from a playthrough of that - although it probably won't scratch your itch for more than a couple of playthroughs. It sort of "ends" in that there is a theoretical final goal, but the main fun seems to be continually optimising your setup rather than actually achieving that goal. And it helps that the map can be set to infinite, so even if you're totally happy (or as is more likely unhappy) with your setup, you can always shift a screen over and start from scratch.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wanton Spoon posted:

Seeking brainspace game

I'd recommend two things. Management sims, something like Anno 1404 or the old Impressions games. You can endlessly tinker with city setups, trade routes and all sorts of little things here and there to keep yourself busy, but unless you're super concerned about maximizing everything they'll never prove too great a challenge. You can turn off opponents and therefor combat in the Anno series, and can sort of mitigate the need for such things in most Impressions games. They might infringe on the simplicity clause in some fashion.

My other recommendation would be Diablo 3, with the new expansion. If you crank up the difficulty on Adventure mode you'll actually have to pay attention during the slaughterfest, but it is an endless, unceasing slaughterfest as long as you want it.

Semi-joke recommendation: Silent Hunter 3.

Gorka
Aug 18, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Factorio is indeed in beta, but most of the meat is in there. The only important thing missing for now is multiplayer and that's not one of your criteria.

As for Kerbal, I'll admit seeing my rockets blow up in the most inappriopriate ways is a plus, but I really like career and science modes, which makes you start with limited resources so you have to unlock everything little by little, allowing you to fulfill increasingly difficult objectives with what you have.
I find this to be very rewarding, but i'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

quadrophrenic posted:

I'm looking for a commercial flight simulator (not a combat sim) which has some sort of business model or economy in it. Basically, I love flight sims as chill desktop apps that I can use while I'm listening to podcasts and stuff, but just the standard MSFS model of "pick a plane, go fly somewhere" is a little too open-ended for me. I'm wondering if there's a game out there that has me running an airline or being a commercial pilot for hire, and I can ferry passengers, make money, buy new planes, etc etc etc. Sorta like Euro Truck Simulator, but with planes.

Failing that, some kind of mission structure or goals to focus on beyond "fly to this place" would be cool. AFAIK, MS Flight isn't supported anymore and it wasn't really that great to begin with, but something along those lines.

Old game, but SimCopter? You have flight mode with varying missions and get paid to buy better choppers.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I'll second Kerbal Space Program as something to consider. For me the appeal isn't how super-realistic the physics model is (it isn't, at least in some ways), it's more about the creativity spurred by the constraints of the model. It's fun to fight against gravity and inertia to do improbable things like land little green guys in a solar-powered go-kart on the moon. Ridiculous rocket failures are an entertaining sideshow, but not the draw for me.

But part of the beauty of KSP is that it's a fairly blank canvas. Some people get super into the hardcore simulation aspect and install mods to make the aerodynamics model more realistic, make the engines less powerful, etc. Some, like me, enjoy the slightly more forgiving middle ground of the stock game and have fun dinking around in space, building stations and deploying satellites and occasionally visiting other planets without having to be too obsessed with the math involved. Others go all the way to the opposite end of the spectrum and enjoy just slapping together ridiculous contraptions to see if they can possibly work, without caring much about achieving specific goals (for these people the explosions are a big part of the appeal).

If you want some goal-oriented direction, you can find it in there, particularly in career mode with limited starting resources and contracts that direct you to perform specific tasks. Even in sandbox mode, though, there's an underlying skill-based progression in figuring out how to manage each step of the space exploration process, from building a basically functional craft, to getting into a stable orbit (and landing!), to visiting progressively more distant planets and building structures in space.

Obviously having some enthusiasm for space travel and exploration does a lot for your enjoyment of the game, though again it can be more on the level of "space is cool!" than "Hohmann transfer orbits are cool!"

The criteria you gave that it might come into conflict with are complexity and price of failure, but both can be mitigated. The complexity piece is largely up to how much fiddling you want to do to optimize things, so in a lot of ways you can choose the amount of mental exertion that you're in the mood for. Losing time and resources to fumbled landings can be managed through judicious quicksaving, though to be honest a lot of the most entertaining challenges I've had in KSP come from fixing my own mistakes (be prepared to rescue a lot of stranded Kerbals).

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Can someone suggest some games that (a) are free or relatively cheap, (b) have online multiplayer, and (c) would be interesting to watch? A friend of mine does a regular video stream, and I'd like to get into some co-op action with him.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

Can someone suggest some games that (a) are free or relatively cheap, (b) have online multiplayer, and (c) would be interesting to watch? A friend of mine does a regular video stream, and I'd like to get into some co-op action with him.

CS:GO

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FredMSloniker posted:

Natural Selection 2 is on sale (Steam) right now I think and that's fine the bill.

Not a popular streaming game though, don't know if that matters to your friend.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

FredMSloniker posted:

The Warhammer 40k RTS games might fit the bill.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
Is there something similar to the original SNES Harvest Moon? I'd prefer something on PC but I'd be willing to try console games as well. I'm unfamiliar with the Harvest Moon series past the first game but I had never heard great things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xeras posted:

Is there something similar to the original SNES Harvest Moon? I'd prefer something on PC but I'd be willing to try console games as well. I'm unfamiliar with the Harvest Moon series past the first game but I had never heard great things.

Well, keep on eye on Stardew Valley as it's deliberately aiming for those vibes. Unfortunately we don't have any idea on a release window as it's a one man project.

Outside of that, the good modern Harvest Moons and HM-likes seem to be on the 3DS. Rune Factory 4 (sadly only available in NA) is a really fun combo of HM and action RPG and there was recently announced a mainline HM game for it.