Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

OB_Juan posted:

Following along the thread, it appears that Paul is a daft fuckstick. I'm sure that will be a popular plan.

ftfy

I was telling my wife about the events of last few days; she neither has any fucks about it nor fully understood what I was telling her, but she still grimace in all the right places and exclaimed about how stupid :pgi: is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ranzear posted:

You didn't notice the other referential quote bullshit in the doc? ;D

So it's got Junkions, Spess Mahrens, Anor Londians IN SPAAAAACE, the ED-209 brigade, Wormulons, and some thri-kreen that got too freaky in a radioactive lightning storm. Did I leave anything out?
My stomach is unwell today. I think I may literally be making GBS threads myself laughing at this mess. Either way I'm kind of skimming stuff.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Does this whole experience remind anyone else of "The Producers"?

--
And now it's...
Springtime for Bullock and PGI,
Battletech is happy and gay!
We're marching to a new beat,
Look out, here comes the ghost heat!

Springtime for Transverse and PGI,
Winter for RSI and Frontier!
Springtime for Niko and PGI,
Come on Mechwarriors, cry buckets of tears!
--

And then they close/sell it and are off to Rio.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Full disclosure: I totally came up with 'when you join a match, all your configurations are locked' first and now I'm pissed that it must be a lovely enough idea that Paul would think of it.

I just want the tank configuration to be on a php page instead of some fustercluck canvas UI element, so I'm encoding them into 'blueprints' that you get a certain number of slots for and cramming them in a database. When you join a game it looks up your blueprints and they're stuck that way, but this also lets me run 'tournament' style matches with no changes allowed between rounds and a disconnected player can have someone sub in mid-game but they're still stuck with the same blueprints.

Second disclosure: Yes, I was totally gonna plug the poo poo out of my own game in this very thread when it was actually done. Now I actually have to get it done to show that everything PGI struggles with coding can be done in loving Javascript in a month.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 11, 2014

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Ranzear posted:

and a disconnected player can have someone sub in mid-game but they're still stuck with the same blueprints.

So, Ghost Pilots?

Gihzmo posted:

What about logistics? Repair and rearm?

Will you just throw infinite free mechs at a planet to take it? Will there be no supply chain or jumpship requirements to bring up replacements?

Will you have any of these types of systems in?

:pgi:Paul posted:

Phase 2 will not include logistics. The amount of development for logistics is just too big in scope to get into Phase 2. This has always been something we've wanted to do. Bryan even talked about it at the Launch Event. We know the fun factor that would come with logistical Unit management but we cannot put this in right at the moment. It it scrapped and completely off the table? Not in the slightest. We just want to make sure the core of the Inner Sphere vs the Clans was in place first before scoping out features like logistics.

So, Repair and Rearm may make a come back.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 11, 2014

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

So, Ghost Pilots?
More like, once you hit the 'Tournament' style games where you're putting your hard-earned rank points into a pool for the winner, you kinda don't want anyone freely disconnecting to break out some bullshit like a pure minelayer setup because they you have nothing to sweep them with, so it's just a bonus that it also allows someone to jump into someone else's seat when necessary and not skew the battle.

Right, also: Pilot progression. As you play games you get rank points. First few ranks gets you a third blueprint slot. Reach a certain baseline rank and your rank points are now 'leveled off' over time compared to everyone else, but you also get a fourth blueprint slot and access to these Tournament modes, which are faster rulesets (three flag caps instead of ten, just for example) but the lucrative rank points you earn are carved from the burning hulks of the losers.

:pgi: Paul posted:

It it scrapped and completely off the table? Not in the slightest.
I think one of their problems is never taking anything off the table. Like every three days someone says 'Hey I got a map idea!' or 'Hey, you know what would be a funny bobblehead?' and nobody says 'No! gently caress! We have enough poo poo to do!'

And that's how Transverse came about.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
:siren: :pgi: :siren:

Community Warfare is basically straight up IS vs Clan.

Asmudius Heng posted:

Did i read correctly that there is not IS vs IS right now?

So what do Liao do? they are not on the clan border?

:pgi:Russ posted:

No we haven't said that, true it is the clan invasion. But yes this whole system will allow us to have IS vs IS battles.

Asmudius Heng posted:

Thanks, Russ - Paul did nto communicate that clearly he said IS vs IS and Clan vs Clan would come later ... i assume he meant clan vs clan only?

In any case i figured you had to have IS vs IS

:pgi:Russ posted:

We'll it's true the clan invasion is the priority.

Later in this case wouldn't mean very long at all and POSSIBLY at the same time. Paul and I can discuss tomorrow.

:siren: :pgi: :siren:

Also, dropship mode is a maybe for later.

Okay folks... sorry but I have to pass out.. it's hour 14 of working on MWO and day 4 of 12+ hours. I need to pass out or my answers are going to go reallly whacky. Again, Niko and the CSR teams will help me compile a list of your questions which will be better answered as 1 big question/answer post than this 1 by 1 approach.

Keep asking your questions, they will be addressed next CW update in 2 weeks time.

So, Niko is still planned to Be Around. Looks like two weeks until any more CW questions get answered, but this thread is where they should be asked.

Oh, and:

EDIT:

So, it looks like attacking teams are always 12-pilot premades (Clan OR IS), where defending teams are "However many members of the unit defending the planet can be collected in two minutes, and enough pugs to fill out the roster". It seems like offense is where it will be at, especially in the case of a large, organized group that does not mind splitting into smaller units on paper.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 11, 2014

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

imperialparadox posted:

1% of the way there! Hell, let's round up...2% guys!!!

They haven't reached 1%, barely made it past 0.5%...

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Tank Boy Ken posted:

They haven't reached 1%, barely made it past 0.5%...
I think he's referring to that one guy on the Transverse forums saying if it doesn't get to 500K in 30 days he'll cancel it.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
One last thing worth quoting from this thread:

Image saved for future (Dec 22) hilarity.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

OB_Juan posted:

The threadnaught on Dec 22 is going to make Regarding Reddit look simple. Holy poo poo Christmas will be great.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OB_Juan posted:

Oh my god.

"The difference this time? In the past we could trick you into paying for empty promises." Now that the community has finally woken up and stopped believing lies they're willing to work on CW for reals guys.

I'll still believe it when I see it.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
You've gotta figure it's done or nearly done for him to say that today, with all that's been going on in the last 48 hours, right?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh my god.

"The difference this time? In the past we could trick you into paying for empty promises." Now that the community has finally woken up and stopped believing lies they're willing to work on CW for reals guys.

I'll still believe it when I see it.

No, sweetheart; all the other times i was lying to you, that was just lying. This is actual truth! I promise!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

This has all been a wonderful time, hasn't it?

Out of 67,842 founders who have visited the forums ever, only 3.5% (2,382) have actually been around this week, even with all the drama pulling back tons of guys to make their first posts in literally years.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's not going to happen.

Even if I they aren't lying they're still too lovely at their jobs to get anything out on time. Given that we already hate them as much as can be expected without Paul outing himself as a white supremacist or something it's a pretty academic distinction.

That said, they probably lying, so I'll go with a "gently caress you" now instead of waiting.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I don't get what the hype is. All it's going to be is "hey if your side wins more matches than the other side, this square turns from red to green, mission accomplished".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
A reminder that they HAVE actually been hitting their self declared deadlines this year. They've not delivered a shitload of stuff, but anything they've put a date on has actually shown up on time. I'm as sceptical as the next man, but I don't think they'd be saying December 21st if they weren't drat sure they were going to deliver this stuff by that date.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Fil5000 posted:

A reminder that they HAVE actually been hitting their self declared deadlines this year. They've not delivered a shitload of stuff, but anything they've put a date on has actually shown up on time. I'm as sceptical as the next man, but I don't think they'd be saying December 21st if they weren't drat sure they were going to deliver this stuff by that date.

How much of that is them getting work done and how much is that they have their goalposts mounted on the back of a flatbed?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So yeah everything they've been posting strongly suggests to me that they haven't done any work at loving all on community warfare before now.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Propagandist posted:

I don't get what the hype is. All it's going to be is "hey if your side wins more matches than the other side, this square turns from red to green, mission accomplished".

TBH alot of games are exactly like this no matter how pretty it is when you accomplished something, no word on rewards for actually accomplishing said goal yet but still it is all still pretty much the same whether it is with a dot or a fancy cut scene.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Fil5000 posted:

I'm going with "wait and see" on this. I am heavily skeptical, but will keep it to myself until 12/21.

To the extent that any of this can be believed, though... I guess there's really no reason to buy clan 'mechs if you are sure you're going IS.

Propagandist posted:

Honestly, the color-changing squares minigame is more interesting to me than the robbit-SMASH actual game. I'm not sure if that says more about me or the state of MWO.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Voyager I posted:

How much of that is them getting work done and how much is that they have their goalposts mounted on the back of a flatbed?

No idea, but my point is they've learned from the goalpost moving and the community reaction to not give a date unless they're sure they're going to hit it.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

They will probably deliver it on time but it'll barely meet the requirements they laid out for what it is supposed to be.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

TeeMerk posted:

TBH alot of games are exactly like this no matter how pretty it is when you accomplished something, no word on rewards for actually accomplishing said goal yet but still it is all still pretty much the same whether it is with a dot or a fancy cut scene.

Yeah, I agree, but my point is: how is their implementation of CW going to be any different from what's in game now? That's not going to change anything.

What people were interested in back in the day, IMO, were enormous maps associated with different planets, with objectives and persistence and rewards and progression. Kind of like Mechwarrior: the MMO.

I think the team deathmatch crap is fun, which is why I'm actually playingsquawking right now. Just seems to me that the notion that CW is going to somehow save the game is somewhat naive. Considering how half-assed they'll implement it. I mean, poo poo, they don't have the tools do to more than associate certain numbers of wins to a grid changing color. And maybe some CBill/XP boost for a certain amount of time.

OB_Juan posted:

I'm going with "wait and see" on this. I am heavily skeptical, but will keep it to myself until 12/21.
Maybe they got their Mayan dates confused? World was supposed to end in 2012, not 2014.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

They will probably deliver it on time but it'll barely meet the requirements they laid out for what it is supposed to be.

Yeah, I think it's more likely they'll just release some hot garbage that sucks and barely/doesn't qualify as CW than they'll blow by DEC 21 without releasing anything.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Propagandist posted:

Yeah, I agree, but my point is: how is their implementation of CW going to be any different from what's in game now? That's not going to change anything.

What people were interested in back in the day, IMO, were enormous maps associated with different planets, with objectives and persistence and rewards and progression. Kind of like Mechwarrior: the MMO.

I think the team deathmatch crap is fun, which is why I'm actually playingsquawking right now. Just seems to me that the notion that CW is going to somehow save the game is somewhat naive. Considering how half-assed they'll implement it. I mean, poo poo, they don't have the tools do to more than associate certain numbers of wins to a grid changing color. And maybe some CBill/XP boost for a certain amount of time.

Maybe they got their Mayan dates confused? World was supposed to end in 2012, not 2014.

I am not generally disagreeing with what you say at all, CW will be tacked on to their normal deathmatch mode.

What Paul is talking about in his post is insane since it involves all new maps and a lot of new game mechanics.

If they have to make all these new maps for CW then its just not going to happen unless they release a bunch of stuff they have been holding onto because of "reasons". Either way this is PGI so I, like many others expect poop.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

TeeMerk posted:

I am not generally disagreeing with what you say at all, CW will be tacked on to their normal deathmatch mode.

What Paul is talking about in his post is insane since it involves all new maps and a lot of new game mechanics.

If they have to make all these new maps for CW then its just not going to happen unless they release a bunch of stuff they have been holding onto because of "reasons". Either way this is PGI so I, like many others expect poop.

What's sad is just the other week Niko & Friends were saying that maps were a low priority because they don't make $$$ from them. Now suddenly Community Warfare is going to hinge on new maps and game modes?

Fully expecting this all new Swamp Map to be the new attack/defend map, or if it wasn't before it's going to be repurposed. Then they'll drop it in with Community Warfare on the last week of December and get ready to turn out the light.

Anyone see this from Paul:

quote:

The plan is that combat for planets happen during specific time periods throughout a day. Over the period of 3-days, wins are tallied for each Faction (IS vs Clan). At the end of the 3-day period, the Faction with the most wins will take the planet.

Sounds like planetary conquest will basically be: fight a bunch of matches and at the end of the contest I mean battle, whoever wins the most gets the planet. Fart.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 11, 2014

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Releasing a poo poo UI, cockpit glass, and broken/OP clan mechs isn't really "hitting deadlines" in a meaningful way.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

TeeMerk posted:

Either way this is PGI so I, like many others expect poop.

pixelbaron posted:

Sounds like planetary conquest will basically be: fight a bunch of matches and at the end of the contest I mean battle, whoever wins the most gets the planet. Fart.

Bingo. gently caress 'em.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

We'll be able to SCROLL and PAN the map. Everything else they can fake by telling people they don't play during "Peak Hours"

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Credit toward holding critical planets will be put toward commemorative bobbleheads and paintings of Kerensky on black satin, MechWarriors.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
But can you spin the map?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

wid posted:

*The irony is that they don't even have to be super competent at making games. Take Digital Extremes, maker of Warframne, for example. They're very bad at coding the game itself, each patch would break more stuff before hotfixed hastily and balance is out of whack, while the art department is top notch. Sounds familiar? So why is Warframe sitting on 10 million users while MWO struggling to make ends meet? The different is... *gasp* communication. DE is very open with their community, for good and for ill, and never snarky or showed disdain to dissenters. They patch and shuffle things around often and appear to genuinely enjoy making this game and having us play it. While PGI continues to deal with their own customers as if pulling teeth and ignore (or even stamp out) criticism. They continue to treat their customers like spoiled demanding children (which, honestly, right on the nose) but they should've known this is the side effect of a nostalgic, already established IP. Maybe it's also the reason they made the space game their own IP.

It's to be expected. DE might not be a great studio, but their past releases include Unreal Tournament/2003/4, Bioshock, and Pariah, which was a fun but generic shooter. PGI has Outlaw Chopper, Marine Sharpshooter, DNF's multiplayer, that terrible Die Hard game, and a game that was too awful to even get published and is now getting them sued.

I think you're right on the money about the community interaction though. DE is used to their customers being the people who play UT/Bioshock, PGI is used to their customers being people who buy stuff from the bargain bin for their grandchildren because they don't know the difference.

Fil5000 posted:

As everyone else is saying, I'm sure it will be on time; it's just going to be really disappointing when it gets here. They even messed up the release of cockpit glass pretty badly, and UI2 is hardly a glowing example.

Back when Ask the Devs was a thing I got a question answered where the gist was, "Is CW going to be a map that I don't care about or will it actually have attack/defend gameplay, persistent assets that affect match outcome (i.e. buying turrets to garrison planets)" and was enthusiastically told that of course CW is going to have all the things that actually make the game interesting. Yet here we are, over a year later, and it looks an awful lot like CW is going to come out and it's going to be a map for a galaxy that I don't care about, since I'm not unit-affiliated.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

So as someone who stopped playing at the tail end of 2012 and only knows things about mechwarrior from osmosis, arn't clan mechs supposed to be super OP? So how is a 12v12 premade match against dudes in clan mechs against IS mechs going to end in any other way than a curb stomp?

Also arn't clan mechs cash only?

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 11, 2014

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Apparently, they plan to nerf the Clan 'mechs a bit, and buff the IS 'mechs a bit.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

OB_Juan posted:

Apparently, they plan to nerf the Clan 'mechs a bit, and buff the IS 'mechs a bit.

If they do some of the clever quirks poo poo like they did with the Awesome, it might not be a bad thing. Also Clan mechs run really hot.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
More Community Warfare news in "two weeks".

Chris Roberts should charge them a consulting fee.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
He should charge them about $5000, or the entire take of Transverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

OB_Juan posted:

He should charge them about $5000, or the entire take of Transverse.

Russ and Bryan are going to be too busy paying that back to Nintendo first.

• Locked thread