Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 215 days!)

Goober Peas posted:

I'll call your bet and raise you an Alfa Romeo 75.

:colbert:

It looks like any other plastic piece of poo poo from the 80s inside - WITHOUT the radio. It's no Citroen D(umb)S(hit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Viggen posted:

That seems a bit more French than Italian, actually.

Italian window switches would be wired to the cup holders which would catch on fire if hot drinks were put in them.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

The window switches have been relocated to the doors from the center console where they have long been placed.

Do you still have to wind down the windows slightly to attach the top? (Mine's an NB so I know nothing about the NC)

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I cleaned out my garage the other day and found this stuff:

'97 NA Miata owners, shop, and haynes manuals.

If anyone wants it just pay me for shipping and it's yours.

I really miss my miata :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

rapeface posted:

Do you still have to wind down the windows slightly to attach the top? (Mine's an NB so I know nothing about the NC)

The NC says to roll them down a few inches.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Voltage posted:

I miss my Protege a lot too, but I love my 3 so that's okay. Someday I'll get another one though :)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Voltage posted:

I'd love the shop manual, shoot me an email, username at Gmail.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

opengl128 posted:

I'd love the shop manual, shoot me an email, username at Gmail.

If this falls through I'll take them for my 97 that is supplying me with constant repair opportunities

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Bovril Delight posted:

The NC says to roll them down a few inches.

Is this a thing I'm supposed to be doing with the NA?

Because I haven't been.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

TheNothingNew posted:

Is this a thing I'm supposed to be doing with the NA?

Because I haven't been.

You're supposed to lower the windows slightly with all verts when putting the top up.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I just pop both doors open because my windows move so slowly they won't go all the way up with the top up. :v:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
So now you have to reach across to the other side of the car to put the top on?

Oh, I guess driver's side controls would have both windows?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm tall enough it's easy to reach over and open the door an inch.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

With the zipper glass back window, I'm already kneeling on the driver's seat to put the top up. It is not a glamorous process. NB top swap soon.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Status update on my top and seat questions: I ordered a new OEM NB cloth top with a new rain rail and rear defrost because I'm fancy like that. :v:

I also managed to find a pair of M-Edition seats for sale that I am also buying.

Is it worth it to bother with removing the carpet and replacing the factory sound deadener stuff with dynamat(?) or whatever while I have the seats out?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I hope you got an NB frame with that too.....

I removed my carpet and put RAAMmat and ensolite foam on the tunnel, more for heat mitigation, but it reduced road noise big time. On the floors and up in the firewall I put down Reflectix for more heat mitigation, you can get it at Lowe's.

http://www.raamaudio.com/

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Is it worth it to bother with removing the carpet and replacing the factory sound deadener stuff with dynamat(?) or whatever while I have the seats out?
Probably not because taking the seats out is pretty easy.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Taking the carpet out is easy, putting it back in is the problem :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Words cannot describe how much easier it is to pull things off of the car when you know that the body is being scrapped.

Dumb wiring connector won't come off? gently caress it, snip all the wires.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Actually, putting the carpet back in was easier than I thought it was going to be, you just have to cut it under the tombstone to get it out, and then shove it back under with a screwdriver or something. Was worth the effort to me, cabin is cooler and quieter now. I just need to rip off Bovril's scoop and I'll be set.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Speaking of which, where's a good place to get a molded carpet kit that doesn't require removal of the dash? I've been meaning to switch it out ever since I bought this car since it's pretty crusty/smelly.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Didn't really get any response from the cl gold thread, figured this might be a better spot for it. Does this 10th AE miata look like a good deal? I have always loved the shade of blue and with the hardtop it would actually make it much more pleasant to drive in Seattle. How is the interior space on a NB compared to a NA? Once I put a new wheel on my old NA I was comfortable driving it, but the head room was kinda lacking.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
182k is a lot of miles but if it looks mechanically solid I'd say it's a good deal. I'm think just the hardtop is worth a ~grand by itself.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The NA and NB have the same tub. If you were cramped in an NA, you'll be cramped in an NB.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

leica posted:

I hope you got an NB frame with that too.....

I did.

mkdnn02
Jan 26, 2004
Any ideas why my electric antenna keeps going up and down all of the sudden. Head unit is aftermarket but always worked fine until recently.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Muffinpox posted:

You're supposed to lower the windows slightly with all verts when putting the top up.

Thank you kindly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mkdnn02 posted:

Any ideas why my electric antenna keeps going up and down all of the sudden. Head unit is aftermarket but always worked fine until recently.

IIRC, the antenna is supposed to have an extra connection to the HU to tell it if it's on or off. So maybe there's a bad contact or damaged wire there?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

TrueChaos posted:

I'm tall enough it's easy to reach over and open the door an inch.

I'm a midget and I can do it, still not a great design. Driver's side controls will have probably have both though.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Thanks to some relentless thieves in the area, I've purchased a GPS/mobile tracking alarm module for my NB. (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131237241872?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

Where would be a good spot to place it? It's about the size of 2 packs of cards. The external connections it needs are: 12v unswitched power, GPS and mobile antenna (thinking of just putting these on the dash) and the fuel pump power wire (to cut and connect to a supplied relay for remote fuel cut)

What about under the dash near the steering column? The fuel pump relay is there, and I can snake the antennas up to the dash pretty easily. It would be pretty easy to find though so I was hoping there might be somewhere more inconspicuous. Is there any room under/near the parcel shelf?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Granite Octopus posted:

Thanks to some relentless thieves in the area, I've purchased a GPS/mobile tracking alarm module for my NB. (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/131237241872?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649)

Where would be a good spot to place it? It's about the size of 2 packs of cards. The external connections it needs are: 12v unswitched power, GPS and mobile antenna (thinking of just putting these on the dash) and the fuel pump power wire (to cut and connect to a supplied relay for remote fuel cut)

What about under the dash near the steering column? The fuel pump relay is there, and I can snake the antennas up to the dash pretty easily. It would be pretty easy to find though so I was hoping there might be somewhere more inconspicuous. Is there any room under/near the parcel shelf?

You've got a spot pre-made for it behind the seats. Underneath the stamped metal cover under the carpet is a couple nice cavities where nobody would EVER find a tracker, unless they are actively cutting apart the chassis.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

meatpimp posted:

You've got a spot pre-made for it behind the seats. Underneath the stamped metal cover under the carpet is a couple nice cavities where nobody would EVER find a tracker, unless they are actively cutting apart the chassis.

Sounds perfect! Thanks!

Btw these little trackers are pretty awesome. Lo jack and that kind of thing isnt very popular at the consumer level here in Australia. These things are so cheap though! I don't understand why cars don't just come with them?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My NB is so old/cheap that I laugh at the thought of someone actually stealing it. I guess that's what I carry insurance for, though.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

On a related note, someone broke into my NA last night in my apartment parking lot and broke both the glovebox latch and center console latch and the tab the locking pin inserts into. They didn't get the glovebox open but they did get the center console open and stole my iPod out of it :( The locking pin was bent so I couldn't operate it, but I bent it back enough that it seems like it'll work again once I replace those parts. On the bright side, the Snap-On screwdriver my dad used back when he was a mechanic in the 60s with his initials etched into it was also in the center console, and the thief decided it wasn't worth taking. Joke's on him it's probably worth more than my old-rear end iPod, and the sentimental value is definitely way higher!

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Why on earth would you carry that in your car? Keep it in the toolbox and use it, certainly, but keeping it in a convertible?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

There isn't much point in locking anything on the NA. They will get in if they really want to, and the damage will be more expensive to fix (cut top, broken doors and latches) than whatever spare change they got to.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boogalo posted:

There isn't much point in locking anything on the NA. They will get in if they really want to, and the damage will be more expensive to fix (cut top, broken doors and latches) than whatever spare change they got to.

I try to harp on this a lot, but some people just don't get it. They are shocked when I tell them I never lock my car. Just don't leave anything in it, it's pretty simple.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Why on earth would you carry that in your car? Keep it in the toolbox and use it, certainly, but keeping it in a convertible?

Because I literally used it earlier that day and hadn't brought it inside yet since I still had a trim screw I was going to put back after I got a new clip for it. Normally I keep the bare minimum in the car for precisely the reasons everyone is mentioning. I even keep the doors unlocked hoping it'll save the top from getting cut if I forgot something on the seat, but I didn't expect to have the car broken into in my own parking lot :(

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

wait, you put the top up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Viper915 posted:

Because I literally used it earlier that day and hadn't brought it inside yet since I still had a trim screw I was going to put back after I got a new clip for it. Normally I keep the bare minimum in the car for precisely the reasons everyone is mentioning. I even keep the doors unlocked hoping it'll save the top from getting cut if I forgot something on the seat, but I didn't expect to have the car broken into in my own parking lot :(

But you're defeating the purpose of leaving the doors unlocked if you lock the glove box and console, they are obviously going to think there's something valuable in there and break them open, it doesn't take much.

A MIRACLE posted:

wait, you put the top up?

It helps to have the top up in case it rains?