Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Octopode posted:

Just be forewarned, I'm pretty sure most of the ITs at NPS end up working at the helpdesk spending their days explaining how to work projectors to PhDs and how to connect to a VPN to dumb graduate students.

I remember the UNCLASS network being handled almost exclusively by civilians, but I didn't deal with them all that much so you might be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

gently caress.

YES.

No, just smoke a normal pipe like your fellow black shoe Fletcher; gently caress ego maniac MacArthur

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ManMythLegend posted:

Not cigars, but I was thinking of getting a salty rear end looking pipe.

A former squadron CO of mine smoked a pipe. He'd be out there smoking his pipe while we were smoking cigars on deployment. It loving owned.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'd go for overseas shore commands - base administrative services or hospitals in Europe (or maybe Guam, I personally loved Guam, but a lot of people seem to feel like it sucks dick. When I transferred to 29 Palms it was like being repeatedly punched in the dick with retard fists)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'd go for overseas shore commands - base administrative services or hospitals in Europe (or maybe Guam, I personally loved Guam, but a lot of people seem to feel like it sucks dick. When I transferred to 29 Palms it was like being repeatedly punched in the dick with retard fists)

The issue is my rate is oconus/conus rotation, I did one conus tour, one oconus now, so I have to go back to a CONUS station. I don't have to go back to sea if I don't want to, but I do have to adhere to the conus/oconus flow regardless.

I'm sure if I wanted to shoot myself in the dick I could go oconus sea, but haha no way in hell if I have the option of a conus shore/sea billet.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 10, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

No, just smoke a normal pipe like your fellow black shoe Fletcher; gently caress ego maniac MacArthur

Good call, but I prefer to think of Admiral Bulkeley as my spirit animal.

He's even wearing Service Dress Khaki... :swoon:

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 10, 2014

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ManMythLegend posted:

Be a trend-setter. Get a bong.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Just get a meerschaum pipe and call it a day. They come in a gently caress ton of styles and they smoke really smooth IMO.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

orange juche posted:

The issue is my rate is oconus/conus rotation, I did one conus tour, one oconus now, so I have to go back to a CONUS station. I don't have to go back to sea if I don't want to, but I do have to adhere to the conus/oconus flow regardless.

I'm sure if I wanted to shoot myself in the dick I could go oconus sea, but haha no way in hell if I have the option of a conus shore/sea billet.

I'd say San Diego then. All things being equal, no matter how bad your command is, at least the weather is nice.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I guess the biggest question is: Where do you want to locate when your contract is up? Also, unless things changed from when I PCSed from overseas, you'll probably have to keep the closest coast. Unless you're a noble who can go from Norfolk to Cali to England to Australia (to be fair that was an O exchange tour for him)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ManMythLegend posted:

This is the correct answer. MacArthur didn't get thrown out of the Philippines for anything nearly salacious enough for sailors to hold him up as a role model.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

VADM Bulkeley's bio posted:

In the early 1960s, Bulkeley commanded Clarksville Base, Tennessee, then a tri-service command under the aegis of the Defense Atomic Support Agency. Having lost none of his wartime daring, Bulkeley was known to test the alertness of the Marines guarding the base by donning a ninja suit, blackening his face and endeavoring to penetrate the classified area after dark without detection. This was a dangerous endeavor, as the Marines carried loaded weapons.

Bulkeley was a loving nut :getin:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

quote:

Bulkeley was known to test the alertness of the Marines guarding the base by donning a ninja suit, blackening his face and endeavoring to penetrate the classified area after dark without detection. This was a dangerous endeavor, as the Marines carried loaded weapons.
Ninja isn't the n-word he was going for.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

ManMythLegend posted:

How about another destroyerman? Burke had a serious steely-eyed glint going.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Red Crown posted:

How about another destroyerman? Burke had a serious steely-eyed glint going.

Burke's alight. He's crotchety, and full of piss and vinegar, but I've got to go with Bulkeley's resourcefulness and decisiveness.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

It'll be funny when the only people still in are all the old fart flag officers and they have to do all the bitch work the enlisted used to do.

Maybe I can pitch this as a sitcom. I'll call it Navy All-Stars. Can't be any worse than The Last Ship. :shrug:

The command I just came from was sorta like that. We had so many officers and so few enlisted running around, us O3s were no-poo poo on the same level as an E5 at best. It was not uncommon to walk onto our compound and see O3s thru O5s sweeping the motorpool, weed-whacking, raking leaves, doing PMS on humvees, and moving thousands of pounds of gear from point A to point B. *shrugs* poo poo's all relative. Just look at the Pentagon...

ManMythLegend posted:

I'm what you call an "ideas man".

aka "Good Idea Fairy".:angel:

buttplug fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 11, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Put the dummy in an officers uniform and watch half the fleet time out due to deep moral convictions.

Are you even in the Navy yet? Save the hurrrr officer hurrr jokes until you're actually a sailor.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It's a cut of your nose to spite your face joke.

Sure thing dude but it's literally a crack at enlisted disliking officers so much they would rather fail a test involving moving a representation of their disdain than just move it.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 11, 2014

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
Read my above post again.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Sure thing dude but it's literally a crack at enlisted disliking officers so much they would rather fail a test involving moving a representation of their disdain than just move it.

Oh, is that what it is? I totally didn't get that the first time around.

Again, re-read what I loving posted. You don't get to make jokes about the Navy - officers or otherwise - until you're actually loving in it. None of what you said went above my head, but clearly the point I was trying to convey went way over yours.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bengy81
May 8, 2010

buttplug posted:

Again, re-read what I loving posted. You don't get to make jokes about the Navy - officers or otherwise - until you're actually loving in it. None of what you said went above my head, but clearly the point I was trying to convey went way over yours.

Oh poo poo, when did this become the military.com forums?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Again, most SWO non-SWO ever

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
buttplug, defender of are honor. :allears:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

buttplug posted:

good post

e: shipmate

e2: am not/was not in the navy

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

buttplug posted:

hey baby. a/s/l?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

Again, most SWO non-SWO ever

lol gently caress you...:horse:

Chalk that up to another pet peeve of mine.. I detest listening to civilians rant and rave about the military or make military jokes when they've never actually been in the military. Really not sure why, because I am generally pretty laid back when it comes to typical hot-button issues like politics (and continue to become more laid back over the years with that sort of poo poo).

It's like that spouse that explain how the military works to newer spouses who don't know any better. It's like Ensigns talking down to other more junior Ensigns, it's like every time I go anywhere and some dependa pulls out her dependa ID card and asks for a military discount. It irks the ever-loving gently caress out of me. Dunno why.

buttplug fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 11, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

buttplug posted:

lol look at buttplug pullin the are honor poo poo

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

buttplug posted:

Chalk that up to another pet peeve of mine.. I detest listening to civilians rant and rave about the military or make military jokes when they've never actually been in the military. Really not sure why, because I am generally pretty laid back when it comes to typical hot-button issues like politics (and continue to become more laid back over the years with that sort of poo poo).

It's like that spouse that explain how the military works to newer spouses who don't know any better. It's like Ensigns talking down to other more junior Ensigns, it's like every time I go anywhere and some dependa pulls out her dependa ID card and asks for a military discount. It irks the ever-loving gently caress out of me. Dunno why.

Life is hard and makes me sad sometimes too. This is because I am a huge bitch, just like you

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

What's long and hard and full of semen?

The stick up buttplug's rear end. HEYOOOOOOOO

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

buttplug posted:

Hey buttplug, gently caress you and chill out. I'm a whiny bitch too, but drat.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

buttplug posted:

I'm a hugtech in are Navy come here wittle noble :glomp:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
just imagine being around that for 4-8 years

bengy81
May 8, 2010
That's actually pretty much the attitude of every single lifer junior officer I ever met. So congrats Boot! You just got to experience your first bit of lovely Navy suckiness!

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

ManMythLegend posted:

What a piker, he doesn't even have three full rows of ribbons. :colbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bengy81 posted:

That's actually pretty much the attitude of every single lifer junior officer I ever met. So congrats Boot! You just got to experience your first bit of lovely Navy suckiness!

You know a lot of lovely JOs. Then again, so do I.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You know a lot of lovely JOs. Then again, so do I.

most JO lovely JO

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KetTarma posted:

most JO lovely JO

I'd say the axiom "most of X are terrible people" is pretty much universally true.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
That axiom is an EO violation waiting to happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
But seriously, tone it down, m0t. You really represent a SWO stereotype incarnate with your posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sir Lucius posted:

That axiom is an EO violation waiting to happen.

Haha I hadn't even thought about race or gender when I typed that out.

• Locked thread