Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

More accurate I think

There's no doubt there is some component of that, but you probably wouldn't believe how much paperwork is involved with a "reportable" accident. Photos are required and the least of it. It will sink like 2-4 hours of your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

As a firefighter, I can vouch that after everyone is safely out and being transported to hospitals or the like, cellphones tend to come out for "Holy poo poo that car is mangled" moments. It's a thing, especially in really weird or crazy accidents.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

T1g4h posted:

As a firefighter, I can vouch that after everyone is safely out and being transported to hospitals or the like, cellphones tend to come out for "Holy poo poo that car is mangled" moments. It's a thing, especially in really weird or crazy accidents.

Obviously every mechanic does this but I wonder if doctors do it. "Holy poo poo this dudes tumor is huge, *uploads to Facebook"

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Preoptopus posted:

Obviously every mechanic does this but I wonder if doctors do it. "Holy poo poo this dudes tumor is huge, *uploads to Facebook"

A dude running for loving office, Senate I think, in Kansas got reamed for doing that with xrays.

So yeah, they do.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I know for a fact we do this at my auction, it's human nature.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Preoptopus posted:

We have a medical stories thread that is basically that.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

VikingSkull posted:

I know for a fact we do this at my auction, it's human nature.

Definitely human nature. You want to share that crazy hosed up thing with everyone. DUDE CHECK OUT WHAT I SAW! :downs: :haw:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Confirmed, I used to hang out with a vet tech who loved trying to gross me out with surgery videos.

And now, for something completely different:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
First thing I thought of is what a bitch it would be to align it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Preoptopus posted:

First thing I thought of is what a bitch it would be to align it.

with full hydro there is usually some adjusters similar to a TRE.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I know a lot people here aren't the biggest Stanceworks fans but there are some cool things that pop up on their forum once in a while, like these guys from Poland that make custom 3-piece wheels out of various OEM wheels:

More here

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
not often you get to say "those early-mid 90s Pontiac Grand Am rims look really nice, actually"

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Those Mugen(?) ones in the link are insanely sick!!

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
drat I want a set of those Volvo Multi-X rims...

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Those are really awesome but is it not a bit sketchy to repurpose one piece wheels as split rims by cutting them apart and drilling them?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

stump posted:

Those are really awesome but is it not a bit sketchy to repurpose one piece wheels as split rims by cutting them apart and drilling them?

As long as they're welded properly and heat-treated afterwards to restore the strength lost, they should be fine.

E: Now if it was Jethro doing it in his backyard with an acetylene torch, that would be another story.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I like how they look but I have serious concerns if these are suitable for actually driving on.

Which works well with the stance crowd, since most of those piles of poo poo aren't driven very far.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SO MUCH YELLOW :japan:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kastein posted:

The little yellow Honda had me lollin

me too guys :kiddo:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd name it 'sweat bee'

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

Here's a guy that has his poo poo together.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So the jeep is for when the wrangler blows a diff and the civic is for going to the parts store when neither of the other two are going, I assume?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Preoptopus posted:

This was posted in the Aeronautical thread and did not get any love.
I give you the Gimli Glider

Canadian pilot glides a 767 with a dead stick for nearly 40 miles and lands at an airstrip converted into a race track during an event with no front landing gear. Everybody lives.
Story is here.
http://www.damninteresting.com/the-gimli-glider/

The episode of Air Crash Investigations on the Gimli Glider was great

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slavvy posted:

So the jeep is for when the wrangler blows a diff and the civic is for going to the parts store when neither of the other two are going, I assume?

Actually both those Jeeps are likely to have at least 1 Dana 35 each (kastein correct me if I'm wrong) so they'll both blow diffs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Unless the owner(s) put in something other than a rear 35 you are probably right.

Unsure of the d35 chances in the TJ.
The MJ is like 80%+ chance of a d35... unless the owner bolted in an MJ 44, AMC20, or fabbed mounts for a replacement, which while common, isn't guaranteed.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Those tires look like 33's, so a 35 should be ok.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Unless the owner(s) put in something other than a rear 35 you are probably right.

Unsure of the d35 chances in the TJ.
The MJ is like 80%+ chance of a d35... unless the owner bolted in an MJ 44, AMC20, or fabbed mounts for a replacement, which while common, isn't guaranteed.

44 rear was optional across the board, standard on the rubis.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

EightBit posted:

Those tires look like 33's, so a 35 should be ok.

I hope this is sarcastic because I have seen a stock jeep on 235/75r15s blow a d35 on pavement (spider gears through the cover!) And an open diff d35 fail doing a u-turn on gravel with 32s and light throttle.

D35s might handle some poo poo but it is playing with fire... the more you play and the closer you get, the more likely you are to get burned. Why risk it?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Burning Man strikes again...

:dance:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

I hope this is sarcastic because I have seen a stock jeep on 235/75r15s blow a d35 on pavement (spider gears through the cover!) And an open diff d35 fail doing a u-turn on gravel with 32s and light throttle.

D35s might handle some poo poo but it is playing with fire... the more you play and the closer you get, the more likely you are to get burned. Why risk it?

I have a D35 in my TJ with 33's and I beat on it with no problems. I've even had quite a few crawling adventures involving lots of right foot and wheelspin. 185k miles. I think the reputation of D35s being fragile might be a bit overblown.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

kastein posted:

Because it's free? Beat on the fucker and if it fails rip it out and put in a 44. Just don't put money into the D35. I have 33s on a D35 as well. Locked the front and if/when the rear goes I'll upgrade. But for now, it gets the job done.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Alright, you guys have fun playing with fire, I'm not arguing this further. When a rearend goes on the trail it ruins everyone's day.

Here's a collage of dana 35 failures that belongs more in the horrible failures thread: http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/

And here's an awesome use for a dana 35 to get this thread back on track, known as the redneck sit-n-spin AKA vomit-o-matic 3000:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BcUpwcaMI0

Even better, combine it with a mechanical bull!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EyxYJiBsXs

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

This 458 is :krad:

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

What specifically, a GT3?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Satellit3 posted:

What specifically, a GT3?

Ferrari Challenge car?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

HRE announced some new wheels

:getin:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Tech at the hillclimb

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Need tires for your batmobile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Went to a local cruise-in, first one to come around since I got my car on the road. Wanted to network, find out the best places to go to for specialty work etc.

4 cars showed up.

1967 Rest-Mod Chevelle Malibu (350 crate motor)This car was super clean, immaculate inside and out.

1955 Apache resto mod (Also a 350 crate motor) I have no idea what those wheels were on originally, the owner didn't speak English and my Spanish is...lacking. The Chrome bull bar and steps were... and odd choice. The inside had late model buckets and a tilt wheel.

And mine (Damnit. I keep forgetting to take the front plate thing off. It was on the car when I bought it and I forget it is there until I see it in a picture)c

The 4th car is in the terrible car stuff thread.

Got bored, heard about another cruise in today so I went... MUCH better.

Lots of nice stuff, some crap, but this Starlet SI caught my eye. Looked like fun

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 14, 2014