Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Grantland wrote an article about Antonio Inoki

http://grantland.com/features/antonio-inoki-japan-politics-pro-wrestling-ric-flair-saddam-hussein-iraq-north-korea-kim-jong-un-hostages/

Not a bad read, especially if you're unfamiliar with Antonio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Thauros posted:

Dave Meltzer mentioned Chyna beating Tanahashi 12 years ago on today's podcast.

Is this up anywhere? Didn't see it on a cursory search.
He got it wrong. She only pinned a few people in tags. Had 1 singles match, a loss to Chono. Was the guest ref for a tag involving Tanahashi at the May 2002 dome show, which might be what he's thinking of.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Long time FMW scholar Bahu released the translation of Shoichi Arai's book about FMW. You can read it here: http://fmwwrestling.us/FMWChapter1.html

It's actually a pretty quick read and has good information on the workings and financial aspects of running a promotion in Japan.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Considering that I only ever use that site for reference, I probably would have overlooked the book. Thanks!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think this is the oldest thread on sa now

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

As long as AJPW still exists to spawn new promotions, this thread shall stand.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

coconono posted:

As long as AJPW still exists to spawn new promotions, this thread shall stand.

Has Wrestle-1 died yet?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Has Wrestle-1 died yet?

AFAIK They're still co-promoting a show with TNA. But no info in terms of a venue, date, card, etc so who the gently caress knows.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
The last Wrestle-1 Sumo Hall show had some fun stuff on it including a memorable Tajiri/Yusuke Kodoma vs. ECIII/Rockstar Spud match that was a better showcase for the latter team's act than anything they've ever done in TNA.

RudoReels
Feb 21, 2013

RudoReels.com for International Pro Wrestling DVDs and Downloads.

Free downloads in every newsletter email!

"John Laurinaitis poses with a fan"
-WWE.com

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Just wanted to drop in and say that everyone should watch the Gran Naniwa/Gorgon Cross match from '95 on Ditch's site. Watched it for the first time tonight and it blows away any of Lynn's matches with RVD.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Just wanted to drop in and say that everyone should watch the Gran Naniwa/Gorgon Cross match from '95 on Ditch's site. Watched it for the first time tonight and it blows away any of Lynn's matches with RVD.

Before he broke his leg, Gran Naniwa was that rare thing in wrestling where he was just as good at doing comedy as he was at having a straight match. Even post injury, I'd rather watch Naniwa than RVD.

British Crip
Feb 28, 2005

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Gran Naniwa is so good and anyone who hasn't watched him should do so immediately.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Not to mention he was like 18 at the time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

God-drat, he died at 33. I know he died young, but christ. :(

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

God-drat, he died at 33. I know he died young, but christ. :(

The sadder thing is he was kind of an unknown when he died.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i had no clue gran naniwa died, drat. one of the best comedy wrestlers ever??

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
IVP is having a sale on DDT Pro DVDs, and since someone asked in the Recommendation thread, I recommend Daisuke Sekimoto's run as DDT Champion.

Daisuke vs Ishikawa (Daisuke wins the title)
Daisuke vs Takagi
Daisuke vs Masa Takanashi
Daisuke vs Kota Ibushi
The KO-D #1 Contender Tournament, Featuring Kenny Omega vs Yoshihiko
Sekimoto vs HARISHIMA (Last match of the run)

And some good shows from 2009:
Takagi vs Great Sasuke: Weapons Battle Royal
Campground Pro Wrestling 2009
Kota Ibushi vs Yoshihiko (An inflatable doll)

Good shows from 2010:
Outdoor Tournament/Campground Pro Wrestling 2010

Good Shows from 2011:
Dick Togo vs Kota Ibushi
Beer Garden Hilight show (Features Nakazawa & Kenny Omega vs the Shirai Sisters in a babyoil bra and panties match)
DDT Apartment Complex Wrestling

Good Shows from 2012:
Omega/Ibushi vs YOSHIHIKO/Dino
Omega vs Ibushi; Dino wrestles the invisible man
Kota Ibushi vs El Generico
Kota Ibushi vs El Generico, Match 2

Good Shows from 2013:
King of DDT Tournament This was the last DDT show I watched so I dunno what's good afterwards.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Inoki ran two shows in North Korea again. Nothing as huge as the last time though.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Ditch posted:

Inoki ran two shows in North Korea again. Nothing as huge as the last time though.

Ultimo Dragon got the most reactions from the crowd. Also the most fun match of the night next to the joshi one.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Does anyone still watch All Japan? Thoughts on Joe Doering as champion?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Their biggest show since the latest management upheaval drew about 1500 in a 8000 seat building, so apparently no one in Japan is watching either.

Are Inoki's Pyongyang shows up on Dailymotion?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 4, 2014

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Purowookie has the second one up.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

Purowookie has the second one up.

Only the second was an iPPV by the way. The one match that was maybe the semi main, was so hilariously bad.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Just watched the Marufuji vs Morishima title match and wow, Maru has really scaled his offense down to nothing but lovely leg slap kicks and some suplexes now that he's supposedly a heavyweight. He's also sporting Swagsuke's haircut, which I'm sure is completely coincidental.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he doesn't have knees anymore

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

Just watched the Marufuji vs Morishima title match and wow, Maru has really scaled his offense down to nothing but lovely leg slap kicks and some suplexes now that he's supposedly a heavyweight. He's also sporting Swagsuke's haircut, which I'm sure is completely coincidental.

If you watch Marufuji/Nagata where he won the title. you'll see he also sported a scaled down version of Shinsuke's WK8 entrance.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I just finished watching Sanada vs. The Great Muta on youtube from 6/7/14, and it was ok, Muta seems to be moving a bit better than he was a while back. I am wondering though, when is the last time he did the Space rolling Elbow, was it pre shaving his head or did he keep using it for a while afterward? He seems to build his matches entirely around Shining Wizards and moonsaults now.

I have to admit I find it amusing that he has decided in his near crippled old age to base his offense around using his broken knees as a weapon and hitting people with the same move that broke them in the first place.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 11, 2014

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

remusclaw posted:

I just finished watching Sanada vs. The Great Muta on youtube from 6/7/14, and it was ok, Muta seems to be moving a bit better than he was a while back. I am wondering though, when is the last time he did the Space rolling Elbow, was it pre shaving his head or did he keep using it for a while afterward? He seems to build his matches entirely around Shining Wizards and moonsaults now.

I have to admit I find it amusing that he has decided in his near crippled old age to base his offense around using his broken knees as a weapon and hitting people with the same move that broke them in the first place.

Jubs posted:

WTF?

Mutoh then no sells the next moonsault by spitting mist in Sanada's face, but I think he forgot the mist? Everything about the match, from beginning to end, is completely bizarre.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah even earlier in the match it just looked clear, like he was spitting water. I said it was ok, but I admit that my rating is on the old broken 2010+ Muta scale. The missed kickout there is pretty rough too.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

The Observer this week said Big Japan was going to run a show in Sumo Hall. Did that promotion take off and I completely missed it, or are they insane?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Dunbar posted:

The Observer this week said Big Japan was going to run a show in Sumo Hall. Did that promotion take off and I completely missed it, or are they insane?
Big Japan always draws a pretty big crowd, people love those walking car accidents.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Dunbar posted:

Little of a and little of b. could be a sold show or have a sponsor. tbh Japan is at a point right now that they are probably with ajpw/wrestle1/noah/ddt as that third tier of promotions behind njpw and dg.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

remusclaw posted:

He seems to build his matches entirely around Shining Wizards and moonsaults now.
Have you watched any other Mutoh matches during the last 15 years or so?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

His match against Tanahashi a couple of years back at Wrestle Kingdom for the IWGP belt was pretty good, though that may have just been Tanahashi. I do have a soft spot for Muta though, admittedly most of the stuff I saw of his though is from the nineties back.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
There is no "a little of a" about Big Japan. The regularly fail to clear 1,000 attendance at the monthly Korakuen shows. They do like 1500-2500 for the big show of the year in Yokohama. I don't see how Sumo Hall makes a bit of sense unless the rent is way down from what it was.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Who was KENTA referencing when he said last night that he changed his name to Hideo Itami to honor one of his heroes?

Flameingblack posted:

Big Japan always draws a pretty big crowd, people love those walking car accidents.

Ditch posted:

They do like 1500-2500 for the big show of the year in Yokohama.
Yeah, Bunka Gym holds 5'000 and I think they broke 3'000 there like once. This is pretty clearly just "DDT does well there and we're a long-running Tokyo-based indie crew too!" but it's gonna be a rude awakening.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Until KENTA explains it himself no one's for sure, but there was a baseball player called Hideo Nomo who was one of the first Japanese athletes to make it huge in America.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

should've been Daisuke Darvish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ditch posted:

There is no "a little of a" about Big Japan. The regularly fail to clear 1,000 attendance at the monthly Korakuen shows. They do like 1500-2500 for the big show of the year in Yokohama. I don't see how Sumo Hall makes a bit of sense unless the rent is way down from what it was.

I don't really follow them, but I'm surprised they draw that badly considering they have some genuine talent and are the biggest deathmatch fed left.

sportsgenius86 posted:

should've been Daisuke Darvish

I'm starting to worry Kei Irabu would be more appropriate.