Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ProfessorCirno posted:

One person there heavily implies anyone who hates Xanth now and finds it troubling couldn't have enjoyed it as a kid, because to them it's literally impossible to ever have any amount of self examination.
Nerdery is pretty much built on extending adolescence and deferring adulthood for as long as possible. Self-examination is pretty much kryptonite to nerds, because once you start picking at that string you might be forced to confront your long-buried suspicion that building your life around a tv cartoon meant to sell toys to children or a game about elves and wizards and owlbears might not have been such a good idea after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Arivia posted:

The Anniversary Edition also expects you to have the Bestiary 2 and 3, actually. It also references the Advanced Player's Guide and the GameMastery Guide, but both of those are okay to be read about in the resource document, apparently. And don't forget knowing about Varisia from the Inner Sea World Guide!

Wait, so does Skull & Shackles require anything other than the base set?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Majuju posted:

Wait, so does Skull & Shackles require anything other than the base set?

None of the card game base sets require anything else (except the Character Add-On Deck if you have 5 or 6 players.) ARB and I are tossing the ball back and forth about the anniversary edition book for the RPG, which is completely different.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
It's all about merchandising.
You got your Spaceballs the Lunchbox, Spaceballs the doll, Spaceballs the cereal.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

As long as we're talking card games, I stopped at the comics/game store after work and almost bought the new Doomtown card game. Fortunately I remembered I'd probably never play it and controlled myself.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

As long as we're talking card games, I stopped at the comics/game store after work and almost bought the new Doomtown card game. Fortunately I remembered I'd probably never play it and controlled myself.
I succumbed to buying Heroes Wanted today.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Evil Sagan posted:

The answer is to give up games and devote your life to anime.

Are we counting the Gamergate poo poo under our purview? Because a monastic devotion to anime might be the better choice at this stage.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

ProfessorCirno posted:

One person there heavily implies anyone who hates Xanth now and finds it troubling couldn't have enjoyed it as a kid, because to them it's literally impossible to ever have any amount of self examination.

I enjoyed the Xanth books when I was too young to know better. I sympathized with the lovely messages because I was too young to know better. Now I can look back and think "Man, what the gently caress. Why couldn't this dude simply write silly pun-filled fantasy without trying to fill the minds of children with his awful sexual politics?" Because really, the puns and stuff are lots of fun for kids! But how is a pre-adolescent supposed to understand and contextualize the kid-loving that happens in those books? They just can't. When I read it, I just assumed that what was happening was totally normal. I was like 11 - what the hell did I know about sex?

Anyway, going back to the discussion of two-column layouts for books: for the naysayers, what is a good alternative? I'm looking at possible layouts for Strike! right now and if I'm not doing two columns, what am I doing? I can't do one super-wide column. That's poo poo to read. I could do a one-column layout with tons of white space like Fate Core, but that seriously increases the thickness of the book (it'd be like 50% longer). If most of my sales are PDF then having the book get longer isn't really a problem, I guess? Since I don't have the kind of art budget that Evil Hat has, adding 50% more pages and a bunch more white space on every page is going to make it look pretty sparse in terms of how much of that empty space has pretty pictures.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Anyone with archives able to PM me links to the previous TG contests? I'm gonna make a sticky list once I get back to my PC. :getin:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

gently caress it, I'm bored. I'll poke around.

Uh... how far back?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This is the one I bungled.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I've moved back to the US, in a new town, and have been trying to find people willing to play games other than Magic. Or any places that do non-Wizards organized play stuff. Netrunner? X-Wing? Anything?

Nope. Everything around me seems to be Magic or Heroclix. Browsing around various local sites I see more people talking about and playing the My Little Pony CCG than Netrunner. :smith:

I hear Yu-Gi-Oh is still popular. :shepface:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I was in this one. I'm annoyed that my entry turned out to be a riff on freakin' RIFTS!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Funny you should bring this up since I just finished and closed this one today.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

He said PM guys. :v: Anyways, I'm working on it, onto 2012 already. You guys skipped a lot of months.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I don't have archives be quiiiiiet :smithicide:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
And I don't have the PM feature.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

And I don't have an avatar, if we smooshed ourselves together, we'd be like... a whole :20bux: goon! :v:

[edit] Damnit all these months with no contests have me constantly double-checking to make sure I didn't miss one. :argh:

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Error 404 posted:

It's all about merchandising.
You got your Spaceballs the Lunchbox, Spaceballs the doll, Spaceballs the cereal.

You forgot :flame:

I can't believe we have a smiley for that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

I don't have archives be quiiiiiet :smithicide:

Covok posted:

And I don't have the PM feature.

I just suck at reading.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
As far as board games that are actually fun, I can't recommend Cash and Guns highly enough. You get 8 foam guns, a hand of 5 'clicks' and 3 'bangs' and 8 rounds happen where everyone points their guns at everyone else, you all get a chance to back down and then reveal whether you actually shot the person you were aiming at. Everyone who didn't back down or get shot divides the round's loot pile between them round robin. It's a load of fun, especially if you get really into it and start yelling action movie obscenities at each other. Plenty of scope for mindgames and hustling, too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Cash and Guns is great, especially when you really get into it and start just going full bad cop movie on eachother.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
So I went to the FLGS and grabbed Skulls and Shackles, and the guys there were psyched about a Shadowrun co-op card game that just came out. Anyone played it? Good? Bad?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been reading through a bunch of retroclones and I noticed that a lot of them don't really have rules for non-combat task resolution. As in, how well a PC fast-talk his way out of an angry mob, or how successful the PC might be at grabbing a knife away from a disgruntled barkeep. The stats are there if you want to make something up, but there isn't even something as vaguely defined as "you get a +1 bonus to Physical tasks, because of your STRength, and +3 to speaking roles, because of your CHArisma"

Was this intended?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been reading through a bunch of retroclones and I noticed that a lot of them don't really have rules for non-combat task resolution. As in, how well a PC fast-talk his way out of an angry mob, or how successful the PC might be at grabbing a knife away from a disgruntled barkeep. The stats are there if you want to make something up, but there isn't even something as vaguely defined as "you get a +1 bonus to Physical tasks, because of your STRength, and +3 to speaking roles, because of your CHArisma"

Was this intended?

Yup. With most OSR games, anything that isn't covered by the rules is "the GM decides, maybe with a roll of an appropriate stat" or "roleplay it".

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Majuju posted:

So I went to the FLGS and grabbed Skulls and Shackles, and the guys there were psyched about a Shadowrun co-op card game that just came out. Anyone played it? Good? Bad?

How did I not hear about this before now?!

Anyways I already ordered it, I'll let you know how it looks once it arrives.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Majuju posted:

From what I've heard, it's hard as balls. It just came out like last week, though, so people are still working through it. Sounds pretty cool to me!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Lots of folks seemed really excited for it at GenCon, but I don't know how much of that was it being a good game, or maybe just the surprising fact that people still seem to think elves with cyber-eyes are cool.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Alien Rope Burn posted:

elves with cyber-eyes are cool.

elves with cyber-eyes are never not cool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yup. With most OSR games, anything that isn't covered by the rules is "the GM decides, maybe with a roll of an appropriate stat" or "roleplay it".

Yeah, the quick and dirty system I usually see used is roll 1d20, if you roll your score or lower in the applicable ability score (GM's choice), then you succeed.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Was this intended?

It is intentionally the same way the original D&D was, yes. I don't think you could call the original reason task resolution doesn't have a system intentional.

Dave and Gary (TM) were of the opinion that the rule set would somehow convey the need for a sort of mystically enlightened connection between the DMs understanding of a given situation and that of the players. I'm sure that their groups had achieved that. They played often enough, after all.

I think that was a pretty unfortunate assumption for them to have made. It's probably damaged more play sessions than I can imagine. I love me some Old School gaming, but I would generally recommend coming to the table with a generic resolution method that everyone can pre-agree upon.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

Yeah, the quick and dirty system I usually see used is roll 1d20, if you roll your score or lower in the applicable ability score (GM's choice), then you succeed.

"Make an <ability> check" meaning exactly that was so much a standard thing back when I played BECMI that I always assumed it was a written rule.

Is it not?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

AlphaDog posted:

"Make an <ability> check" meaning exactly that was so much a standard thing back when I played BECMI that I always assumed it was a written rule.

Is it not?

I happen to have my basic rulebook at hand.

page B60, "There's always a chance." The DM may want to base a character's chance of doing something on his or her ability scores... (Roll under the ability score on a d20).

It's right there in black and white. Of course, that paragraph sort of conflicts with the previous paragraph that basically tells you to adjudicate actions however you see fit. Neither of the fiction passages use either of those resolution methods.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Error 404 posted:

elves with cyber-eyes are never not cool.

Holy poo poo, are you posting from the eighties?
Tell the police they need to look into a guy called Jeffrey Dahmer! Also that they should probably leave this guy named Rodney King alone, too.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Majuju posted:

From what I understand it's closer to Risk Legacy than the Pathfinder Card Game. Like, you make your deck better by adding better cards and taking out the worse ones, but you also put stickers on your cards that make them permanently better.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

FMguru posted:

Nerdery is pretty much built on extending adolescence and deferring adulthood for as long as possible. Self-examination is pretty much kryptonite to nerds, because once you start picking at that string you might be forced to confront your long-buried suspicion that building your life around a tv cartoon meant to sell toys to children or a game about elves and wizards and owlbears might not have been such a good idea after all.
I have spent a lot of time wondering whether I really enjoy my nerdy pastimes or whether they just give me nostalgia. Ultimately it is hard to know the difference a lot of the time, I think. All you can do is think about what you want to spend your time doing and compare it to what you actually spend your (free) time doing, see how close the two are, and then wonder if the latter is actually more appealing to you than the former.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The funny thing is that D&D has always had social rules called reaction checks. Here AD&D's 1st's;

"Any intelligent creature which can be conversed with will react in some way to the character that is speaking. reaction is determined by rolling percentile dice, adjusting the score for charisma and applicable loyalty adjustment as if the creature were a henchman of the character speaking, and the modified score of the percentile dice is compared to the table below:
Adjusted Reaction
Die Score
01 (or less)-05 Violently hostile immediate attack
06-25 Hostile, immediate action
26-45 Uncertain but 55% prone toward negative
46-55 Neutral - uninterested - uncertain
56-75 Uncertain but 55% prone toward positive
76-95 Friendly, immediate action
96-00 (or greater) Enthusiastically friendly, immediate acceptance

Or morale check if appropriate "

The Issue with the OSR is that everyone in it basically ignores that there there were rules for everything, and that D&D has never been particularly rules light. poo poo OD&D has detailed rules for how long it takes to move a certain distance in the dungeon, how long it takes to search for secret doors and traps, and for how often monsters interrupt you while you are doing this poo poo, so you cant just dawdle around. OD&D in particular seems more game-ist than most OSR people are willing to accept from their RPG's these days.

Here are those rules by the way;

From "The Underworld & Wilderness Adventures"
"THE MOVE/TURN IN THE UNDERWORLD:

In the underworld all distances are in feet, so wherever distances are given in
inches convert them to tens of feet.

Movement (distances given in Vol. 1) is in segments of approximately ten min-
utes. Thus it takes ten minutes to move about two moves — 120 feet for a fully-
armored character. Two moves constitute a turn, except in flight/pursuit situa-
tions where the moves/turn will be doubled (and no mapping allowed).
Time must be taken to rest, so one turn every hour must be spent motionless, and
double the rest period must be taken after a flight/pursuit takes place.
Time spent searching for anything (secret passages, hidden treasure, etc.), load-
ing treasure, listening, ESP'ing, hiding, will be adjudged by the referee as to what
portion of a turn will be used by the activity. Typically, ESP'ing will take but a
quarter turn, while searching a ten foot section of wall for secret passages will re-
quire a full turn.

Melee is fast and furious. There are ten rounds of combat per turn.
Secret passages will be located on the roll of a 1 or a 2 (on a six-sided die) by men,
dwarves or hobbits. Elves will be able to locate them on a roll of 1-4. At the re-
feree's option, Elves may be allowed the chance to sense any secret door they
pass, a 1 or a 2 indicating that they become aware that something is there.
Generally, doors will not open by turning the handle or by a push. Doors must be
forced open by strength, a roll or a 1 or 2 indicating the door opens, although
smaller and lighter characters may be required to roll a 1 to open doors. There
can be up to three characters attempting to force open a door, but this will dis-
allow them rapid reaction to anything awaiting them on the other side. Most
doors will automatically close, despite the difficulty in opening them. Doors will
automatically open for monsters, unless they are held shut against them by charac-
ters. Doors can be wedged open by means of spikes, but there is a one-third
chance (die 5-6) that the spike will slip and the door will shut.
Traps are usually sprung by a roll or a 1 or a 2 when any character passes over or
by them. Pits will open in the same manner.

When characters come to a door they may "listen" to detect any sound within.
Note "Undead" never made any sound. A roll of 1 for humans, and 1 or 2 for
Elves, Dwarves, or Hobbits will detect sound within if there is any to be heard.
A good referee will have noise corridors (moaning, clanking, etc.) and rooms
from whence come shuffling or muttering sounds.

In the underworld some light source or an infravision spell must be used. Torches,
lanterns and magic swords will illuminate the way, but they also allow monsters
to "see" the users so that monsters will never be surprised unless coming through
a door. Also, torches can be blown out by a strong gust of wind. Monsters are as-
sumed to have permanent infravision as long as they are not serving some character.
While some referees allow Fire Balls and Lightning Bolts to be hurled in confined
spaces, blasting sections of the stone equal to the remainder of their normal shape,
it is suggested that the confined space cause these missiles to rebound toward the
sender, i.e. a Lightning bolt thrown down a corridor 40 feet long will rebound so
as to reach its stated length of 6" (60 feet underground), and this will mean the
sender is struck by his own missile. It may also be compromised, allowing say
two feet of stone wall to be destroyed (allowing one foot of stone destroyed for
every ten feet the space is short of full distance) and rebounding the missile one-
half the distance short.

UNDERWORLD MONSTERS:
Sighting Monsters: Players will see monsters at 20 - 80 feet (roll a pair of four-
sided dice to determine the distance) unless they are surprised by the monster."

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 13, 2014

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20
Yep. Reaction, Morale and Loyalty rules are, when taken together, extremely robust and useful. They completely transformed how I run D&D, led to some cool adventures, and change Charisma into a power stat. One thing that helps is that leveling doesn't improve them, so the characters can't power through social situations--they need to act in the world, though in 2e having a Bard to do reaction shits is a huge advantage. Some examples of how actually using these rules did cool stuff:

1) Characters randomly encounter bandits--and the reaction is extremely positive. I decide the bandits are having a drinking party, so they share some wine at the campfire and even ally when a senior bandit shows up and gets mad. Later, one of the bandits becomes a henchman.

2) Said henchman tends to have bad reaction rolls with a certain PC, inspiring a grudge/personality conflict that inspires the player to work hard to gain the guy's respect.

3) Encounters completely change. The goal becomes to demoralize enemies. Parley becomes a real, important factor since everybody's aware that a losing force may flee due to attrition.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what the gently caress is going on with your title, gad drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT