Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Majuju posted:

I'm gonna use this opportunity to plug Cory Jones & Rob Heinsoo's Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre, it's $30 and amazing. Easy to learn, quick to play, people love it.

I second this. It's an incredibly fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Majuju posted:

I'm gonna use this opportunity to plug Cory Jones & Rob Heinsoo's Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre, it's $30 and amazing. Easy to learn, quick to play, people love it.

When this game first came out, I saw the box, read the name, saw 'Rob Heinsoo' on the box and then immediately purchased it. Not one regret.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
Are we recommending cheap board games? Because if so then I will plug Panic on Wall Street all night long.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Coup/Love Letter/The Resistance/Tichu/Imp Bottle are all extremely cheap.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

WordMercenary posted:

Are we recommending cheap board games? Because if so then I will plug Panic on Wall Street all night long.

It's not a card game but I will also plug Panic on Wall Street. It's really good fun if you like shouty games.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Generic Octopus posted:

Eh, it's like 20-30 bucks for the one box. Compare to like, 80 for things like Ticket to Ride or a bunch of other stuff that's 40-60. It has a ton more poo poo you can buy, yeah, but if you're just playing with the one set it's relatively inexpensive.

$25 is a lot for two monochromatic decks, two dice, and a rulebook. I know some sets are in color, though I don't know what the price on those is like comparatively. While the price has gone down with the advent of Amazon, but it's not hard to see why SJ Games can coast on the money from the Munchkin line. When you compare the price to just about any other card game, it's hilarious. Only Yomi strikes me as similarly expensive, and the production values on that are quite a bit higher.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I don't feel like sifting the sludge for direct quotes to post in grognards.txt, but hooooo boy is there a live thread on RPGnet. Someone asked about using Piers Anthony's "Xanth" setting for a roleplaying game, a couple of people pointed out the setting is mostly built around puns-being-made-literal and the plots are all puzzle-solving via fairy-tale logic, and there really isn't much there to operationalize into an RPG setting but there is a system-free background guide to the world if you want to give it a try. Oh, and all the creepy leering pedophilia that the books are overflowing with, that's probably a deal-breaker for a lot of groups.

Which led to a shocking number of posters tumbling out of the woodwork to defend Piers Anthony against those immature prudes who are always looking for something to get offended by and their accusations of all the weird kidfucking and misogyny and rape that his books are full of. Just astonishing.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Which are some cool non collectible (or living) Card games I can get?

Finally convinced a group of friends to pool our gaming moeny so we can buy new games every month. We're starting with Munchkin (because we should have it), but we have enough for one or two more.

Reason we're sticking with cards is that we want Munchkin and we can gather around 40€s each month. Yeah we're cheap.

I was considering Gloom, Chez Geek (I played it once and had a lot of fun), Bang or Aye Dark Overlord!.

edit: and next month I'm going to blackmail them all into buying the Battlestar Galactica board game.

Gloom is pretty much all press your luck. It seems a bit like Munchkin without the screw card gambling at the end. Some actual strategy though. The base game is fine, but the expansions get a little unmanageable after one or two.

Bang is pretty much the Resistance: Avalon, but with some randomness thrown in ways I don't think are improvements.

Consider 7 Wonders and Love Letter.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Love Letter.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

FMguru posted:

I don't feel like sifting the sludge for direct quotes to post in grognards.txt, but hooooo boy is there a live thread on RPGnet. Someone asked about using Piers Anthony's "Xanth" setting for a roleplaying game, a couple of people pointed out the setting is mostly built around puns-being-made-literal and the plots are all puzzle-solving via fairy-tale logic, and there really isn't much there to operationalize into an RPG setting but there is a system-free background guide to the world if you want to give it a try.

I remember the sidebars in GURPS Magic for doing freeform Xanth-style spells.

You know, just in case you wanted to play Xanth...

... in GURPS. :rolleyes:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bang is a game which is entirely likely to be killed without being able to have a single turn while the game can take more than an hour to resolve, especially with expansion cards added it. It is aggressively bad.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Does Hanabi count as a card game? Doesn't matter, you should buy Hanabi.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

FMguru posted:

Which led to a shocking number of posters tumbling out of the woodwork to defend Piers Anthony against those immature prudes who are always looking for something to get offended by and their accusations of all the weird kidfucking and misogyny and rape that his books are full of. Just astonishing.
How do people even tried argue that its progressive for the 70's? In the grand scheme of fantasy its sounds like a horrendous jump back even for the time period.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

^^^^ "Other popular things were as bad or worse[citation needed], therefore ~context~." There is a serious attempt to fuse and then destroy "context" and "judgment."

FMguru posted:

I don't feel like sifting the sludge for direct quotes to post in grognards.txt, but hooooo boy is there a live thread on RPGnet. Someone asked about using Piers Anthony's "Xanth" setting for a roleplaying game, a couple of people pointed out the setting is mostly built around puns-being-made-literal and the plots are all puzzle-solving via fairy-tale logic, and there really isn't much there to operationalize into an RPG setting but there is a system-free background guide to the world if you want to give it a try. Oh, and all the creepy leering pedophilia that the books are overflowing with, that's probably a deal-breaker for a lot of groups.

Most of the hilarity in that thread isn't even TG-related anyway, except that sometimes the original subject of turning Xanth into an RPG crests and then is buried by the waves again. It's just a place you can go where the people saying "it depends on what you mean by 'consent'" are talking about pubescent fairies.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 11, 2014

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

All I know about Piers Anthony is that I started to read Firefly and I want to surgically excise the parts of my brain that remember the chapter where an elementary-age girl seduces an older pervert who totally says no but then gives in because she's so into it because her daddy only molests her brothers and then their beautiful blooming relationship is ruined by the judgmental, unenlightened people who put him in prison and the girl grows up to be a miserable housewife not due to the fact that she was abused as a child but because society took away her one true love.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Bang is a game which is entirely likely to be killed without being able to have a single turn while the game can take more than an hour to resolve, especially with expansion cards added it. It is aggressively bad.

Bang! The Dice Game, however, plays very quickly and is better in basically every single way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Which are some cool non collectible (or living) Card games I can get?

Finally convinced a group of friends to pool our gaming moeny so we can buy new games every month. We're starting with Munchkin (because we should have it), but we have enough for one or two more.

Reason we're sticking with cards is that we want Munchkin and we can gather around 40€s each month. Yeah we're cheap.

I was considering Gloom, Chez Geek (I played it once and had a lot of fun), Bang or Aye Dark Overlord!.

edit: and next month I'm going to blackmail them all into buying the Battlestar Galactica board game.

Here's a different suggestion. If you want something cooperative, try the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. It's really fun, and pretty well-designed. It's non-collectible and broken into essentially seasons of a giant adventure called an adventure path: there's a starter box set at about $50, then each month (for the next five months) after that is the next part of the adventure, which is sold separately for $30. The second adventure path just came out, called Skulls and Shackles - it's pirate themed, looks pretty cool. I'm not sure how they're doing it for Skulls and Shackles, but the first adventure's box set supported 4 players, and an add-on deck added more options and support for up to 6 players at a time across the entire adventure path.

Evil Sagan and I played a lot of it recently, and we really enjoyed it. Tough, but not too tough. It uses deckbuilding mechanics combined with traditional D&D fantasy stuff - so you're collecting magic scrolls and stabbing goblins with your new sword, but that's actually represented by shuffling through your deck, optimizing your mix of cards, and so on. It works really well!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wait, the first adventure path costs $160 in total?! $180 if you want the extra character options.

I understand there's a lot of hourage of play in there, but :monocle:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'd been hearing a lot of good things about the Pathfinder card game but god drat does that guarantee I won't be buying it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Plague of Hats posted:

^^^^ "Other popular things were as bad or worse[citation needed], therefore ~context~." There is a serious attempt to fuse and then destroy "context" and "judgment."
Truth be told I'm comparing it to the lens of the Twilight Zone which arguably never hits into any of the problematic territory that those people are trying to defend and at the time it was two decades old.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

MadScientistWorking posted:

How do people even tried argue that its progressive for the 70's? In the grand scheme of fantasy its sounds like a horrendous jump back even for the time period.

RPG.net nerds liked it and being at RPG.net makes them progressive, therefor

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Wait, the first adventure path costs $160 in total?! $180 if you want the extra character options.

I understand there's a lot of hourage of play in there, but :monocle:

The thing to remember is that it's really built around the monthly model. Like it's time-wise sort of positioned as a thing you do with your board game group once a month, or you do instead of playing an RPG instead. Every month's release is six plus hours of new content (that's only playing through all of it once and succeeding every time and so on) of adventures and new hazards to overcome and new powers and stuff. (The base set is at least ten hours of content, and apparently they added MORE for Skulls and Shackles.) You get cool things to be excited about for next time and new challenges and so on.

Evil Sagan and I played through most of it in two weeks and the game works out really well for that kind of long play. It encourages persistence and long play and that sort of thing. Midway through you're not only creating a really good deck, but you're also switching up what's actually in the box and is generated for play, taking out weapons you don't like and keeping in the really good poo poo for example.

If anything, its weakness is that it's too persistent - if you have a game on the go, you can't take the box off the shelf and play it with a different group without loving the first game up.

It's very comparable, then. Is it an investment? Absolutely. But it's one that's worth the expenditure.

edit: Oh, and the Character Add-On Deck for Runelords is just new characters. It's not "buy this for cool new spells." it's four new classes and the extra base set cards needed for them (for example, a second Holy Water so you can make any six starter decks at once without running out of Holy Water cards.)

Arivia fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 11, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ProfessorCirno posted:

i liked the books when i was in junior high, therefore they are high literature and anyone who says otherwise is a hater

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Arivia posted:

The thing to remember is that it's really built around the monthly model. Like it's time-wise sort of positioned as a thing you do with your board game group once a month, or you do instead of playing an RPG instead. Every month's release is six plus hours of new content (that's only playing through all of it once and succeeding every time and so on) of adventures and new hazards to overcome and new powers and stuff. (The base set is at least ten hours of content, and apparently they added MORE for Skulls and Shackles.) You get cool things to be excited about for next time and new challenges and so on.

[...]

If anything, its weakness is that it's too persistent - if you have a game on the go, you can't take the box off the shelf and play it with a different group without loving the first game up.

This sounds like the sort of videogame they ought to be making, rather than yet another stupid MMO. Make good online card games I can play with sane people on a sane timescale and I will throw money at you. (See also Dungeon Command's wasted potential.)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

If you're going to play the PF Card game, ignore the original game and just pick up the new Skulls & Shackles base set. That way you don't have to deal with a shitload of errata as well, because the first game had to be errata'd to hell and back.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

inklesspen posted:

This sounds like the sort of videogame they ought to be making, rather than yet another stupid MMO. Make good online card games I can play with sane people on a sane timescale and I will throw money at you. (See also Dungeon Command's wasted potential.)

Obsidian is already making a computer version.

edit:

S.J. posted:

If you're going to play the PF Card game, ignore the original game and just pick up the new Skulls & Shackles base set. That way you don't have to deal with a shitload of errata as well, because the first game had to be errata'd to hell and back.

Pretty much. Not that it's unplayable, but it is the sort of game where you have the FAQ open on a smartphone the entire time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Paizo should have used the PF setting for a series of Gold Box/Eye Of The Beholder-style tablet/phone games. Well within their budget, plays the nostalgia chord they love to strum, it's a game type that hasn't been done to death recently, it promotes their setting IP outside of TTRPGers, etcetera. But no, we're going to make another fantasy MMO, ready to race into a marketplace littered with the corpses of dozens of other higher-budget efforts and the limping, fading champion WoW.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Pathfinder MMO makes perfect sense as the product of a company that charges you $160 for a card game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Really Pants posted:

The Pathfinder MMO makes perfect sense as the product of a company that charges you $160 for a card game.

$160 is about the going rate for a card game and five expansions. Nothing wrong with that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Arivia posted:

Here's a different suggestion. If you want something cooperative, try the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. It's really fun, and pretty well-designed. It's non-collectible and broken into essentially seasons of a giant adventure called an adventure path: there's a starter box set at about $50, then each month (for the next five months) after that is the next part of the adventure, which is sold separately for $30. The second adventure path just came out, called Skulls and Shackles - it's pirate themed, looks pretty cool. I'm not sure how they're doing it for Skulls and Shackles, but the first adventure's box set supported 4 players, and an add-on deck added more options and support for up to 6 players at a time across the entire adventure path.
Geez, that's pretty pricey...I mean, you can get Descent for $60 and that has a 10-hour or so complete campaign.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I would be into so many more games if they had good tablet support. I just have to wait 20 years for that to happen, and then another 10 years for all these industries to stop charging physical fulfillment-level prices for direct digital delivery products. It's practically around the corner!

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's not like I made a spreadsheet, but I think most of the people in that thread are firmly on the side of "No it's not really an 'interesting conversation about consent' just because she's magically transformed into a different person when she's impregnated." The worst stars just shine the brightest, as usual.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Geez, that's pretty pricey...I mean, you can get Descent for $60 and that has a 10-hour or so complete campaign.

Descent retails for 80 and the PF Card game will give you probably about the same amount of gameplay in the base set while being cheaper. I don't actually like the game that much myself but I think it's reasonable as to the value you get out of it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

S.J. posted:

Descent retails for 80 and the PF Card game will give you probably about the same amount of gameplay in the base set while being cheaper. I don't actually like the game that much myself but I think it's reasonable as to the value you get out of it.

Yeah, there's eight scenarios in the base set (a three-scenario introductory adventure, and the five scenarios in the first adventure path pack), each of which is an hour or more if you succeed at your first try. (We got a total party kill on our first try at the adventure path!)

And that's Rise of the Runelords, apparently they added more to the base set for Skulls and Shackles as a gameplay decision.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I've moved back to the US, in a new town, and have been trying to find people willing to play games other than Magic. Or any places that do non-Wizards organized play stuff. Netrunner? X-Wing? Anything?

Nope. Everything around me seems to be Magic or Heroclix. Browsing around various local sites I see more people talking about and playing the My Little Pony CCG than Netrunner. :smith:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Arivia posted:

It's very comparable, then. Is it an investment? Absolutely. But it's one that's worth the expenditure.

It's okay to enjoy some expensive games! I've certainly dropped $100+ on too many game projects over the past few years. I just figured it would... you know... cost less than Pathfinder Adventure Game + Pathfinder Bestiary + Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition. I understand it's with the monthly model and all that, but the sticker shock is still severe when you add it up.
And of course you can't forget your Rise of the Runelords Messenger Bag and your Rise of the Runelords Bottle Opener! Oh, Paizo.

FMguru posted:

i liked the books when i was in junior high, therefore they are high literature and anyone who says otherwise is a hater

I loved Dragonlance when I was young, and tried to reread it awhile back.

I'm not sure I made it through the first chapter of Chronicles. :(

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

FMguru posted:

One person there heavily implies anyone who hates Xanth now and finds it troubling couldn't have enjoyed it as a kid, because to them it's literally impossible to ever have any amount of self examination.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's okay to enjoy some expensive games! I've certainly dropped $100+ on too many game projects over the past few years. I just figured it would... you know... cost less than Pathfinder Adventure Game + Pathfinder Bestiary + Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition. I understand it's with the monthly model and all that, but the sticker shock is still severe when you add it up.
And of course you can't forget your Rise of the Runelords Messenger Bag and your Rise of the Runelords Bottle Opener! Oh, Paizo.

The Anniversary Edition also expects you to have the Bestiary 2 and 3, actually. It also references the Advanced Player's Guide and the GameMastery Guide, but both of those are okay to be read about in the resource document, apparently. And don't forget knowing about Varisia from the Inner Sea World Guide!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Arivia posted:

The Anniversary Edition also expects you to have the Bestiary 2 and 3, actually. It also references the Advanced Player's Guide and the GameMastery Guide, but both of those are okay to be read about in the resource document, apparently. And don't forget knowing about Varisia from the Inner Sea World Guide!

I sit corrected. :geno:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

The answer is to give up games and devote your life to anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I sit corrected. :geno:

This also isn't including the third-party content they used, like the dominant and submissive prestige classes.

• Locked thread